g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Official: Manchester United sign Ángel Di María

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
He can speak Catalan as well, I read somewhere.

"It's such a shame we don't have UCL football, we'd be able to get players like Lallana & Lambert. We'll have to settle for Di Maria"
:lol:

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
OK Di Maria is no Beckham when it comes to looks, but he is not ugly at all I can absolutely confirm!

izec

Why has he just Di Maria and not Di María on it? In the morning they had the other name on his shirt though.

Sampy93

God it looks so damn classy with Di Maria 7 on a kit.
He is going to be a massive hit here. Funny how we have signed a player who we never expected the last 3 windows in RVP, Mata and now Angel.

Let's make it 4 with Vidal :drool: :devil:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He's not that bad. A bit like Gary Lineker stretched using photoshop.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
fecking hell this compilation is a MUST watch guys! From start to finish! I came repeatedly :lol: A genuine world class player

Fantastic video to showcase his abilities. He is genuinely world class and will improve us immeasurably.

But... There's always a but...

Look at that video and look at some of the outrageous passes he plays. The incisive through balls, the cross field balls, the crosses from deep, they are all phenomenal, but as you can also see from the amount of wasted opportunities in front of goal, that they are very much dependent on other players. An obvious point perhaps, a pass is dependent on the passer and the receiver. But when you see all those wasted chances in front of goal, you don't mind because with a player like Di Maria, you will create more and with the right person on the end of them, some will be converted.

But, the difference for us is, we've been so static in the attacking third of the field. One player to inject pace isn't going to change all of that. The amount of times this season and last that we get the ball on the edge of the opponents box and we pass it sideways over and back, over and back. It's so frustrating. Those passes in that video looked so good because Madrid were attacking at pace, as a team, not just Di Maria. He had options, every time. Now the passes, were exquisite, don't get me wrong, but he'll need Mata, RVP and Rooney doing similar running to be effective here.

It's a point that I thought of before we signed Di Maria. It was Fabregas's pass for Schurrle's goal against Burnley. It was a phenomenal pass and a great goal. Everyone was raving about Fabregas and rightly so. I was annoyed because he was available this year and we didn't get him. I was thinking "we coulf have had that" and this was two days after Swansea had beaten us. It was a bit depressing. But then I thought, Mata, Rooney, RVP or Januzaj are capable of playing a ball like that. We have players that are fantastic passers of the ball yet we don't create chances like that or score goals like that of late. So to me, it was Schurrle's run that was the impressive thing. Make the defenders panic, run at them and give the man on the ball options.

It's all too static up front, at United at the moment. Di Maria has the ability to inject pace into our attack and as that video shows, he has the eye for the killer ball, but for us to see the best out of Di Maria, every one of our forwards are going to have to step up. Ronaldo, Bale, Benzema, Isco etc made Di Maria look good. I don't mean that in a bad way or as a slight on Di Maria ( He made them look good too)... i just mean, he won't look half the player he did at Madrid if we get to the edge of the box and stand around like we have been doing for the last year or more. He's a player that can change all of that... but not on his own.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Part of the conference with real translations and not the fake translator we had at the conference.

I totally agree with #615. Unless the players around you make the right run, you can never find them no matter how good you are and that is the reason why Mata is finding it so difficult to create. We have zero movement up top and no runners from midfield joining the attack to create space and no runs in behind from out wide. Both RVP and Rooney like to receive the ball at the edge of the box instead of in between the lines so that's really damaging our creative potential.

Mindhunter

Fantastic video to showcase his abilities. He is genuinely world class and will improve us immeasurably.

But... There's always a but...

Look at that video and look at some of the outrageous passes he plays. The incisive through balls, the cross field balls, the crosses from deep, they are all phenomenal, but as you can also see from the amount of wasted opportunities in front of goal, that they are very much dependent on other players. An obvious point perhaps, a pass is dependent on the passer and the receiver. But when you see all those wasted chances in front of goal, you don't mind because with a player like Di Maria, you will create more and with the right person on the end of them, some will be converted.

But, the difference for us is, we've been so static in the attacking third of the field. One player to inject pace isn't going to change all of that. The amount of times this season and last that we get the ball on the edge of the opponents box and we pass it sideways over and back, over and back. It's so frustrating. Those passes in that video looked so good because Madrid were attacking at pace, as a team, not just Di Maria. He had options, every time. Now the passes, were exquisite, don't get me wrong, but he'll need Mata, RVP and Rooney doing similar running to be effective here.

It's a point that I thought of before we signed Di Maria. It was Fabregas's pass for Schurrle's goal against Burnley. It was a phenomenal pass and a great goal. Everyone was raving about Fabregas and rightly so. I was annoyed because he was available this year and we didn't get him. I was thinking "we coulf have had that" and this was two days after Swansea had beaten us. It was a bit depressing. But then I thought, Mata, Rooney, RVP or Januzaj are capable of playing a ball like that. We have players that are fantastic passers of the ball yet we don't create chances like that or score goals like that of late. So to me, it was Schurrle's run that was the impressive thing. Make the defenders panic, run at them and give the man on the ball options.

It's all too static up front, at United at the moment. Di Maria has the ability to inject pace into our attack and as that video shows, he has the eye for the killer ball, but for us to see the best out of Di Maria, every one of our forwards are going to have to step up. Ronaldo, Bale, Benzema, Isco etc made Di Maria look good. I don't mean that in a bad way or as a slight on Di Maria ( He made them look good too)... i just mean, he won't look half the player he did at Madrid if we get to the edge of the box and stand around like we have been doing for the last year or more. He's a player that can change all of that... but not on his own.
In essence a midfielder won't be effective without good strikers.

Fully Fledged

I don't really mind if we create 15 chances for every goal we score. what has really knocked my neck in over the past 12 months was the games we have played in were we created very few changes.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Brilliant video I have to say, shows what he can bring to the team with the right players around. If, and thats a big if, our players have the right movement and play, he can really thrive but then again, that's been one of our weak points

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
fecking hell this compilation is a MUST watch guys! From start to finish! I came repeatedly :lol: A genuine world class player

He has no right to do any of that. After far too long watching Ashlencia offer zero threat, this is going to seem like wide christmas.

united_99

Finally watched the whole conference and I shall say I found it too funny when LvG said regarding how he could use Di Maria: "(to the translator) Maybe you should translate this to him as well as it would be handy for him to know"!

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
I'm having problems with his face.

Or rather, his ears.

I mean, yes, they're big. Which is cool I guess. But why accentuate that by having a huge bling in each of them? Also, why is his facial area actually smaller than his ears?

And he's very, very thin.

In short does he look like £60 million? Nah.

RedStarUnited

@RexHamilton great post but you also have to remember the amount of time Valencia or Young have been in good positions to create a chance and mess up. In this weekend just gone, Valencia had so many chances to create something but he had no confidence in himself - A damn shame considering the goal came from him doing exactly that. Against Swansea Adnan had the beating of his marker time after time but his final ball/decisions were awful.

Its in those moments that I expect Di Maria to make a difference to us.

Jagga7

I'm having problems with his face.

Or rather, his ears.

I mean, yes, they're big. Which is cool I guess. But why accentuate that by having a huge bling in each of them? Also, why is his facial area actually smaller than his ears?

And he's very, very thin.

In short does he look like £60 million? Nah.
Go to sleep.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'm very surprised this thread's only 16 pages. I thought it would have gone crazy over the first couple of days.
There's only so many times you can say how happy you are or post so many formations! Plus actually having the player is boring, it's the thrill of the chase that is exciting right?

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
@RexHamilton great post but you also have to remember the amount of time Valencia or Young have been in good positions to create a chance and mess up. In this weekend just gone, Valencia had so many chances to create something but he had no confidence in himself - A damn shame considering the goal came from him doing exactly that. Against Swansea Adnan had the beating of his marker time after time but his final ball/decisions were awful.

Its in those moments that I expect Di Maria to make a difference to us.
Oh I agree. He is in a different league to Valencia and Young and will create far more. It could be a case of poor quality wingers and midfielders has caused our forwards to not make those runs as they simply aren't getting the service, but take the Schurrle goal from the Fabregas wonderpass for example. Which of our forwards/midfielders on current form would have made a run as dynamic as that. There was every chance Fabregas wouldn't have spotted him, but he made the run anyway and it paid off. There is no doubt that Rooney/ RVP/Mata/Welbeck are missing that dynamism at the moment and it could well be down to the service that they have been getting, but in order to get the best out of Di Maria and help him get the best out of them that will have to change. I'm optimistic that it will however. Carrick and Herrera's returns will also help hopefully.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout

united_99

I'm very surprised this thread's only 16 pages. I thought it would have gone crazy over the first couple of days.
Well unlike when we signed Mata this time you don't have almost every post claiming how sexy he is, how cool he looks with beard, they wish he was gay, links to MataInSuits and all that!
Instead this time some posters complain about him being ugly! Poor guy!

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Well unlike when we signed Mata this time you don't have almost every post claiming how sexy he is, how cool he looks with beard, they wish he was gay, links to MataInSuits and all that!
Instead this time some posters complain about him being ugly! Poor guy!
:lol: I'm pretty disappointed I missed the whole Mata saga, it sounds like it was pretty fun.