Official: Manchester United sign Ángel Di María

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Fantastic video to showcase his abilities. He is genuinely world class and will improve us immeasurably.

But... There's always a but...

Look at that video and look at some of the outrageous passes he plays. The incisive through balls, the cross field balls, the crosses from deep, they are all phenomenal, but as you can also see from the amount of wasted opportunities in front of goal, that they are very much dependent on other players. An obvious point perhaps, a pass is dependent on the passer and the receiver. But when you see all those wasted chances in front of goal, you don't mind because with a player like Di Maria, you will create more and with the right person on the end of them, some will be converted.

But, the difference for us is, we've been so static in the attacking third of the field. One player to inject pace isn't going to change all of that. The amount of times this season and last that we get the ball on the edge of the opponents box and we pass it sideways over and back, over and back. It's so frustrating. Those passes in that video looked so good because Madrid were attacking at pace, as a team, not just Di Maria. He had options, every time. Now the passes, were exquisite, don't get me wrong, but he'll need Mata, RVP and Rooney doing similar running to be effective here.

It's a point that I thought of before we signed Di Maria. It was Fabregas's pass for Schurrle's goal against Burnley. It was a phenomenal pass and a great goal. Everyone was raving about Fabregas and rightly so. I was annoyed because he was available this year and we didn't get him. I was thinking "we coulf have had that" and this was two days after Swansea had beaten us. It was a bit depressing. But then I thought, Mata, Rooney, RVP or Januzaj are capable of playing a ball like that. We have players that are fantastic passers of the ball yet we don't create chances like that or score goals like that of late. So to me, it was Schurrle's run that was the impressive thing. Make the defenders panic, run at them and give the man on the ball options.

It's all too static up front, at United at the moment. Di Maria has the ability to inject pace into our attack and as that video shows, he has the eye for the killer ball, but for us to see the best out of Di Maria, every one of our forwards are going to have to step up. Ronaldo, Bale, Benzema, Isco etc made Di Maria look good. I don't mean that in a bad way or as a slight on Di Maria ( He made them look good too)... i just mean, he won't look half the player he did at Madrid if we get to the edge of the box and stand around like we have been doing for the last year or more. He's a player that can change all of that... but not on his own.
Great post!

Just to see him run past two midfielders create acres of space and if Herrera and Mata have the pace and stamina to follow we can counter with five players. A man can only dream...

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Mata, Rooney, RvP, Januzaj... and now Di Maria?!? This attack is just too much to handle. If van Gaal can find a way to get all of these players ticking , then boy are we in for a treat!

Shark

@NotShark
Mata, Rooney, RvP, Januzaj... and now Di Maria?!? This attack is just too much to handle. If van Gaal can find a way to get all of these players ticking , then boy are we in for a treat!
All I see there is names that aren't performing anywhere close to their level and haven't for a long time now. RVP doesn't look the player he was two years ago, Mata looks lost since arriving at United and Rooney also isn't anything close to the player he was as soon as three/four years ago. As for Januzaj, he's still inconsistent for all his talent.

In saying all that, Di Maria is the best player we've had since Ronaldo. If he can't lift the team, nobody can.

Kostur

海尔的老板
I'm afraid that we're expecting a bit too much from him. Not doubting his ability in the slightest but you still need people around you who do their work properly. All those fancy fantastic passes in video-compilations need movement from his team mates and at the moment our players seem to be horribly immobile #ciro.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
I'm afraid that we're expecting a bit too much from him. Not doubting his ability in the slightest but you still need people around you who do their work properly. All those fancy fantastic passes in video-compilations need movement from his team mates and at the moment our players seem to be horribly immobile #ciro.
Yep, that's what I said only in a more convoluted and unnecessary way. Everyone will need to up their game if we're to see the best of him.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Fantastic video to showcase his abilities. He is genuinely world class and will improve us immeasurably.

But... There's always a but...

Look at that video and look at some of the outrageous passes he plays. The incisive through balls, the cross field balls, the crosses from deep, they are all phenomenal, but as you can also see from the amount of wasted opportunities in front of goal, that they are very much dependent on other players. An obvious point perhaps, a pass is dependent on the passer and the receiver. But when you see all those wasted chances in front of goal, you don't mind because with a player like Di Maria, you will create more and with the right person on the end of them, some will be converted.

But, the difference for us is, we've been so static in the attacking third of the field. One player to inject pace isn't going to change all of that. The amount of times this season and last that we get the ball on the edge of the opponents box and we pass it sideways over and back, over and back. It's so frustrating. Those passes in that video looked so good because Madrid were attacking at pace, as a team, not just Di Maria. He had options, every time. Now the passes, were exquisite, don't get me wrong, but he'll need Mata, RVP and Rooney doing similar running to be effective here.

It's a point that I thought of before we signed Di Maria. It was Fabregas's pass for Schurrle's goal against Burnley. It was a phenomenal pass and a great goal. Everyone was raving about Fabregas and rightly so. I was annoyed because he was available this year and we didn't get him. I was thinking "we coulf have had that" and this was two days after Swansea had beaten us. It was a bit depressing. But then I thought, Mata, Rooney, RVP or Januzaj are capable of playing a ball like that. We have players that are fantastic passers of the ball yet we don't create chances like that or score goals like that of late. So to me, it was Schurrle's run that was the impressive thing. Make the defenders panic, run at them and give the man on the ball options.

It's all too static up front, at United at the moment. Di Maria has the ability to inject pace into our attack and as that video shows, he has the eye for the killer ball, but for us to see the best out of Di Maria, every one of our forwards are going to have to step up. Ronaldo, Bale, Benzema, Isco etc made Di Maria look good. I don't mean that in a bad way or as a slight on Di Maria ( He made them look good too)... i just mean, he won't look half the player he did at Madrid if we get to the edge of the box and stand around like we have been doing for the last year or more. He's a player that can change all of that... but not on his own.
I couldn't agree anymore to a post on the caf. Di Maria will not have the same performances he's had for Real Madrid for us sadly because our players are just too static for the type of football he's been used to. Some amazing attacking understanding displayed by that video but also some amazing individual brilliance.
His skills alone can win us matches but more than ever we'll need to find a better system where our players actually make themselves available for passes and crosses. Talk about going from the players he had at Madrid to Utd, I hope they elevate their game and not him lowering his because his teammates are not as good.

Actually it sort of pains to see how this transfer might not work out as well we'd all love to.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Well unlike when we signed Mata this time you don't have almost every post claiming how sexy he is, how cool he looks with beard, they wish he was gay, links to MataInSuits and all that!
Instead this time some posters complain about him being ugly! Poor guy!
:lol: I'm pretty disappointed I missed the whole Mata saga, it sounds like it was pretty fun.
Nothing encapsulated the mood better on that thread than this golden gif from Lynk.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I'm having problems with his face.

Or rather, his ears.

I mean, yes, they're big. Which is cool I guess. But why accentuate that by having a huge bling in each of them? Also, why is his facial area actually smaller than his ears?

And he's very, very thin.

In short does he look like £60 million? Nah.
We don't care if he looks like £60m. It's if he plays like £60m that matters. Who cares what somebody looks like. Chelsea obviously don't or they wouldn't have signed Costa.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I'd wager his looks are at least a part of why Perez sold him. If he had the marriage of talent and marketability of a Beckham or Ronaldo he'd be going nowhere. He's been replaced by a twink with a sum total of 5 prominent games on the biggest stage FFS. Galactico transfer policiy 101. Works for me, we've got the better player.

ricky-romeo

I'd wager his looks are at least a part of why Perez sold him. If he had the marriage of talent and marketability of a Beckham or Ronaldo he'd be going nowhere. He's been replaced by a twink with a sum total of 5 prominent games on the biggest stage FFS. Galactico transfer policiy 101. Works for me, we've got the better player.
Hoping for another robben or sneidjer situation here.certainly benefiting the buyer and the player:devil:

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Lots of reports in Spain have already claimed that to be the case, yes. He tried to force him out last year, too, after all.

RuudTom83

United's marketing guys have years of experience working with Rooney!

Di Maria will not be a problem.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Di Maria will sell loads of Merchandise for us. We love an exciting player, and if he brings what we all hope then I think there will be plenty of 7 shirts around O.T this year.

Lowkey

I do worry about playing him in CM in a very physical league. He will be targetted and get hacked in every game by players like Cattermole. I would rather he be on the wing.

RuudTom83

I do worry about playing him in CM in a very physical league. He will be targetted and get hacked in every game by players like Cattermole. I would rather he be on the wing.
Yeah, you only have to look at Herrera's debut to see how the Prem welcome new players...kick em!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He got hacked at constantly playing in Spain, it's not as physical but getting hacked at happens just as much, especially against the likes of Barca or Atletico.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
This was sent to me via email from a Spanish mate of mine

#

Trizy

All I see there is names that aren't performing anywhere close to their level and haven't for a long time now. RVP doesn't look the player he was two years ago, Mata looks lost since arriving at United and Rooney also isn't anything close to the player he was as soon as three/four years ago. As for Januzaj, he's still inconsistent for all his talent.

In saying all that, Di Maria is the best player we've had since Ronaldo. If he can't lift the team, nobody can.

You do realise he has had ONE game since a big world cup break and in that game we played possibly the worst we have in months AND the midfield behind him was Cleverly and Fletcher.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Are they any pics of Di Maria in training?

Darwin09

Theory of Thread Pollution
Haven't seen anybody reference his nickname "Fideo" - "Noodle" in English. Spanish-language announcers call him that as much as they call him di Maria.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I wonder if we'll leave him on the bench maybe to come on and change the game around the hour mark.

predator

Youth NITK
Not sure what we'll see of him tomorrow.
He'll either
Start snd play full 90.
Start and play a half.
Come on for 2nd half and play till the end.
Come on anytime after 70 minutes.

I can't see any reason for him not making an appearance following LVG's comments and the simple fact that he is fit and raring to go. Shit post on my behalf but thats all I can say.

izec

Not sure what we'll see of him tomorrow.
He'll either
Start snd play full 90.
Start and play a half.
Come on for 2nd half and play till the end.
Come on anytime after 70 minutes.

I can't see any reason for him not making an appearance following LVG's comments and the simple fact that he is fit and raring to go. Shit post on my behalf but thats all I can say.
knowing our luck this season, he will play and getting injured.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
Cheers. Nice to see Di Maria and Mata getting on already... suppose he has to :lol:
Di Maria doesn't speak english at the moment, so imagine he'll get along particularly well with fellow spanish speakers such as mata, it could really help him out.