Ogden: United want Antoine Griezmann and another forward - sources

MiceOnMeth

If the Independent article is true, we're selling Martial. But the same article had a sub heading we're selling Shaw too, but failed to mention it at all the the article. Selling a potential world class left side of our team would be dangerous and send us backwards imo.

I'd give up if we sold Martial and brought in Morata or Lukaku. We have 100% no chance of getting Keane, Spurs are going to finish in the top 4, they have a nice new stadium being built too.
Shaw and Martial should be our left side for the next 10 years, ill never forgive José if he ditches them :(

Cantona_Forever

Chances created in epl till this point in the season, chelsea 248 tottenham 299 arsenal 273 liverpool 312 man city 282 man utd 290, in contrast to that look at the goals scored, chelsea 48 tottenham 45 arsenal 51 liverpool 52 man city 47 man utd 33, our buildup play could be better but it definitely is not the problem our finishing though is a big one. iirc we are the worst team in pl at scoring sitters and equally bad at taking other gilt edged chances too, a proven goalscorer in the team would have had us competing with chelsea for the title not try to scrape top 4 as we are now.
We have that in Zlatan but others just didn't perform. Martial gave assists but not much goals himself. Rashford needed 4 easy chances for 1 or 2 goals (Reading). Mhiki have come in patches. He could score scorpion kick when in mood but can't even tap it in when not. So did Mata.
Not sure what is the cause of all these to be honest. Bad year? (Lack of) Confidence?

One thing is for sure though, as prolific as Zlatan was he slowed us down massively so I hope he won't be our main striker next year yet again.
Get rid of Zlatan and Rooney and bring in someone more agile and as cold blooded.

Last edited:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
My cock is out. 2 forwards, a midfielder and a CB and 4th place is ours next season!

SqueakyWeasel

Chances created in epl till this point in the season, chelsea 248 tottenham 299 arsenal 273 liverpool 312 man city 282 man utd 290, in contrast to that look at the goals scored, chelsea 48 tottenham 45 arsenal 51 liverpool 52 man city 47 man utd 33, our buildup play could be better but it definitely is not the problem our finishing though is a big one. iirc we are the worst team in pl at scoring sitters and equally bad at taking other gilt edged chances too, a proven goalscorer in the team would have had us competing with chelsea for the title not try to scrape top 4 as we are now.
While I don't wholly disagree with what you are saying I don't agree with using stats to prove the point. I see this more and more often as the trouble these days … breaking football down to pure stats and thinking that the results can point to a problem that even more stats can help one to fix. Football is not moneyball!

I agree that we need a "quicker" striker-force but not a more "proven" goalscorer which was the thing being debated. We are labouring attacks, we're creating small, semi-chances often trying to play our way through a whole team we've given time to assemble in defence and that "effort" gets logged as a "shot on target" or a "shot off target" exactly the same as any City / Liverpool / Arsenal / Chelsea /Spurs 4 v 2 break upfield does. Admittedly their "chances" also sometimes end up in a great save or a fantastic defensive move or even a simple miss - but they were normally better chances (and probably more entertaining to watch too).

You only have to open your eyes and be a lover of good football to know that most of our oppos "chances created" were probably "good" or much "better" chances that broke through a thinner line of defence and led to a goal (more often than not) because of less bodies in the way, compared to our more profligate, telegraphed, one-against-seven/eight/nine/ten "chances" that came despite all the things I mentioned in my post you replied to! Which was my point … we need to fix that aspect of our game before we fork out for perceived better finishers.

There was nothing more refreshing to me than the breakaway goal that Mhiki scored in the FA cup tie last w'end – thinking that we can't use our player's skill, speed (sometimes) and creativity to do that against League opposition is crazy. We just have to trust our players without the ball more often and bank them to be creative and adventurous when they do have it. We need to be more aggressive and creative in attack from the first whistle, not play this possession game while we break them down and wait for them to fade (if they do).

That way, in my opinion, there will be "chances" of real substance created and although we might very well lose possession more often than score we'll still improve on what we're doing currently. I think we still have a bit of a hangover, especially from the players that were under LVG's tutelage … that being creative and losing the ball (even if you score as a result) is not better than pure possession! After all: LVG's theory was that our opposition cannot score if they don't have the ball … that, to me anyway, is not why I'm a Manchester United supporter!

EDITED: As I did not wholly disagree with what you said and needed to reinforce that!
EDIT2: Just realised you're a newbie so you probably can't reply until United win the next treble anyway so … I'm right, you're wrong!

Last edited:

CS@SG

I thought Zlatan is the one.

The United

Wow I am impressed with spur's attacking power now that I have seen a couple of stats for all top 6 teams.

itso 7

Shaw and Martial should be our left side for the next 10 years, ill never forgive José if he ditches them :(
Woodward should ask him to fall on his sword if Mourinho ever suggests that those two be sold. These are our brightest prospects so I would rather lose Mourinho than both of them.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Yeah that never nappened. Like ever.
I'd put the odds on Kane moving to United this summer at roughly 10 trillion to 1. Not exactly "never" or "ever" - like (lol) - but close enough to it to - like - make no difference.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I'd put the odds on Kane moving to United this summer at roughly 10 trillion to 1. Not exactly "never" or "ever" - like (lol) - but close enough to it to - like - make no difference.
Can I take that bet with you? I'll put a penny on it, ta.

Murray3007

--------DM----Pogba-------
Mkhi---Griezzman--Martial
------------ST------------

Has the potential for fast paced play. It all depends on whether we have a plan, or just intend on shoe-horning him in and hoping for the best.
As much as i love the look of this i just dont see it working, Pogba was awful at the euros when asked to do this and has been poor at united when asked to do the CM role in a 2,

Bwuk

I'd like to see us move back to a more 4-4-2 approach. Sign someone like Kante and play him beside Pogba (not suggesting Kante as he wouldn't be available, just someone like him).

De Gea
Valencia - Bailly - Rojo - Shaw
Mkhi - ???? - Pogba - Martial
Griezmann - Zlatan​

MrSingh2002

Pogba needs coaching from Scholes. Sounds like a massively awkward arrangement but if the club is the most important thing then Mourinho, Scholes and Pogba would swallow their pride, forget about their egos and get it done.

Pogba would benefit the team most if he learnt how to dictate play in a midfield two, to play alongside the incoming Carrick replacement.

With the egos of those 3.... pigs flying over Old Trafford is more likely.

ROFLUTION

De-Gea
Bailly - Mascherano-type - Rojo
Valencia - Herrera - Pogba - Martial
Griezmann - Mkhi
Zlatan

Feck it, just outscore them.​

Bwuk

De-Gea
Bailly - Mascherano-type - Rojo
Valencia - Herrera - Pogba - Martial
Griezmann - Mkhi
Zlatan

Feck it, just outscore them.​
I actually wouldn't mind us going 3-4-3 ala Chelsea, but couldn't play Martial there he'd have to be part of the front three.

ROFLUTION

I actually wouldn't mind us going 3-4-3 ala Chelsea, but couldn't play Martial there he'd have to be part of the front three.
Could be switched with Mkhi if he knows how to play left-"wing-back" .. he drifts in a lot, so I dont know.. but I guess staying out wide is what is needed of that role, so they don't clunge up the space for others

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
As much as i love the look of this i just dont see it working, Pogba was awful at the euros when asked to do this and has been poor at united when asked to do the CM role in a 2,
I tend to agree, but i don't see any other way it can work with both in their best position. Unless we play Griezmann as a false 9 or something.

Devil may care

Woodward should ask him to fall on his sword if Mourinho ever suggests that those two be sold. These are our brightest prospects so I would rather lose Mourinho than both of them.
I hope we never head down that type of player power route, we gave in enough with Rooney over the years.

Theatre of Screams

Don't know why, just feel Kane would be a better fit for us. Natural replacement up top. As great a player that Griezmann is, can just see us getting him then trying to shoe-horn him in some way.

Shark

@NotShark
I'm not sure if Greizmann would solve our problems, that's how disappointing our ''high profile'' signings have been over these past few years.

Swearing Budgie

I'd like to see us move back to a more 4-4-2 approach. Sign someone like Kante and play him beside Pogba (not suggesting Kante as he wouldn't be available, just someone like him).

De Gea
Valencia - Bailly - Rojo - Shaw
Mkhi - ???? - Pogba - Martial
Griezmann - Zlatan​
Like that Dembele lad who was cack at Newcastle but best player for France at Euros.

Was it Dembele? I think that was his name but there seems to be about 500 different Dembeles.

Sparky10Legend

He's a winger anyway, its the lad the dippers bought who plays in the middle (Wynaldum)

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think we'll go for Belotti in the summer. Seems to be made for the EPL.

GloryHunter07

I'd be surprised if we signed two quality strikers.

As much as i like Griezmann i think we have a bigger need for a no.9 replacement for Zlatan. Unless Rashford can fill that place?

Im drawn to Icardi, looks like a proper goalscoring striker, but also seems like a bit of a lunatic?

Marty1968

Would go for Griezmann and Lukaku myself. Unbelievable quality from one and a player who's done it in the PL for years. Lukaku is exactly the mold of player jose likes up top as well. Rooney can help the club by going to China for a massive fee and Martial/Rashford can continue their development (that's if Jose doesn't get fed up of Martial by the summer).

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United