Ogden: United want Antoine Griezmann and another forward - sources

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
the problem is, has Jose ever made use of such forwards (Henry, Kluivert) to good effect in his career?
2 question is, has Jose ever molded any young players to be great?
Benedict Mcarthy in his prime was more than a fox in the box and Etoo thrived under him as a wide forward. So did Higuain before the Real Hierarchy decided to sale him. As for young players, I don't know. It's more like we've seen him turn good players into great. i.e Lampard, Marcelo, Ricardo Carvalho....etc

Janson

The bet would be each way though, considering Zlatan and his ego/status, between he and Rashford as the up and coming player. Another settled striking option would have been perfect for this squad, but I guess we know who is to blame for that. Every signing is a gamble, even Griezmann.

Isn't that experienced/proven scorer Zlatan? Can't help having another player to rotate out there with him. But like I said, essentially I am just saying "wouldn't the perfect signing be perfect right now guyz?". :lol: Every team needs the perfect signings.
I don't think Griezmann would be a gamble, it would be incredible if he comes here and doesn't perform. If that happens then we can say we are truly cursed.:)

I get what you're saying but we can't afford buying someone who hasn't been doing it for a while on the top level.

ChichaKagawa

If the Independent article is true, we're selling Martial. But the same article had a sub heading we're selling Shaw too, but failed to mention it at all the the article. Selling a potential world class left side of our team would be dangerous and send us backwards imo.

I'd give up if we sold Martial and brought in Morata or Lukaku. We have 100% no chance of getting Keane, Spurs are going to finish in the top 4, they have a nice new stadium being built too.
If we could take either Kane or Lukaku, I'd take Lukaku because I think he's hungrier. Morata is ok, but I wouldn't take him over Martial. I don't expect to let go of Martial though.

Ashley R1+O

I don't think Griezmann would be a gamble, it would be incredible if he comes here and doesn't perform. If that happens then we can say we are truly cursed.:)

I get what you're saying but we can't afford buying someone who hasn't been doing it for a while on the top level.
Well we could if it was between Zlatan and Rashford? I think so anyway. I am not saying that Griez isn't a 'calculated risk' but every signing is indeed a gamble. To make money you have to spend money :D.

davidmichael

Why go out and spend stupid money on Zlatan's back up when Rashford is already there ? Maybe actually using him as a striker and play him solely through the middle as he needs to be and Zlatan won't have so much pressure on him to be our sole goal scorer.

On the right we've got Mhkitaryan and Mata then on the left we've got Martial and Lingard whilst Rooney has played left side as well so why exactly is Rashford used there instead of through the middle with the options we've already got ?

The more I've thought about it the more I think its impossible to get Griezmann into our starting team with Zlatan around as Griezmann would need to play from the right or left which as seen from the Euro's negates Griezmann's strengths, it also destroys the midfield trio we've now become comfortable with and also negates Pogba.

LargePea

Get Januzaj back and firing
Spend big on Griezmann and Dembele(spurs)
Sell/Get rid of Rooney, Bastian, Young
Win the title.

Devil may care

Well, you two are looking a bit silly after his four goals today. Think he's leading the golden boot race now as well. And still only 23 so he can be forgiven a bit of inconsistency.
Him scoring 4 goals in a game means nothing, plenty of strikers have done that, it doesn't alter the fact his all round game is not good enough for a top side.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Well, you two are looking a bit silly after his four goals today. Think he's leading the golden boot race now as well. And still only 23 so he can be forgiven a bit of inconsistency.
Not really, he has always had it in him to produce these big performances where everything clicks and he's a beast. He's done that against Arsenal a number of times or even against us, but like @Devil may care said, its one thing banging in the goals for a smaller side like Defoe can or Darren Bent used to and doing it for a big club where defences are packed and your first touch needs to be bang on and you need to have alot of finesse both in terms of skill and in terms of mind. He's not clever enough or talented enough to feature for a big side.

Can he get there? possibly but right now he still looks too clumsy to me. He's a good striker to have on the counter and in situations where the game is very stretched, then his long legs and powerful running can be used to maximum effect.. but how many games this season have United been in where it is stretched? when we play smaller sides, they play very defensive and when we play the big sides, we struggle to get much time and space on the ball. He'd be a flop here.

Long Ball

It's a massive stretch but signing Auba and Antione could really change our fortunes. It's would mean going back to a 4-2-3-1 where pogba suffers but he's talented enough to adapt. Martial and Mickey can keep their places on the wings. Pace and trickery with two massive finishers yum!

TrueRed79

Whatever happens it's plain to see we require two 'proven' goalscorers to turn our fortunes around. Since Fergie left we have scored less and less every season. It's a sort of malaise at this stage. We certainly cannot rely on our current crop of players to turn our fortunes around, that's for sure and proven this season. We need to spunk a lot of $$ this summer.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Him scoring 4 goals in a game means nothing, plenty of strikers have done that, it doesn't alter the fact his all round game is not good enough for a top side.
Not just talking about one game (although I don't see our strikers doing that!) he's top scorer overall now plus he's been doing it for a few years. He could conceivably break Shearer's overall PL goals record if he stays in it.

Devil may care

Not just talking about one game (although I don't see our strikers doing that!) he's top scorer overall now plus he's been doing it for a few years. He could conceivably break Shearer's overall PL goals record if he stays in it.
Breaking records is often about staying in one place for a long time, Ronaldo breaking Real's goal scoring record at almost a goal a game or RvN scoring 56 CL goals in 73 appearences, that's impressive. Lukaku is a good PL striker, but IMO he's not good enough if the goal is to get back on top across Europe, he's too limited in his game and his movement, we dominate games, he's a counter attack player who gets his goals in loads of space where his mediocre first touch can be rectified due to all the room he has, he'd be no good against the tight, congested defenses we play against most weeks.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Yea I have to agree with DMC, whenever I sit down to watch Everton, Lukaku's been best running onto the ball, with space to attack, he's less suited to playing with his back to goal which is ironic consideirng his height and size.
His overall game needs to improve, he's more like a gigantic poacher in the Inzaghi mold than he is a young Zlatan/Drogba/Costa.
He'd still score goals for us mind, but we could do better I feel like.