Oil Money in Football | New City expose

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Part 2 is quite damaging too. Part 3 promises to reveal their influence on media.[/QUOTE]
QUOTE]
Looking forward to reading that one...

Barnslig

How could one obtain the emails they are refering to legally? They've been hacked by all accounts.
Found the article I read the other day in the Norwegian newspaper VG (whos part of the EIC), where they interview "John", the leader of Football Leaks.

https://www.vg.no/sport/fotball/i/0...supporterne-broedfoer-et-ukontrollert-monster

Journalist: "Considering some of the worlds largest football leaders probably wouldn't give you access to their e-mails, it would be correct to assume this has come from theft?"

"John": "Our group has never been involved in theft or hacking. Since the end of 2015 we've recieved thousands of gigabytes from different sources. Our mission has been to analyse and verify if the material is legit."

EDIT: I'm not saying the information is NOT hacked, I'm just saying it's just as much guessing as saying the documents are not. We simply do not know if there's disgruntled employees that have blown the whistle, if it's a mix, or if it's all hacked.

gajender

See you're conflating your stance now.
On the topic of United and most of the other 'big boys' you're referring to, we became attractive investment opportunities after we had periods of success.
We didn't get an influx of cash and then started buying all the shiny toys, we still spent within our means and invested wisely.
Almost every business out there needs to show its worth before investors will inject more cash to help sustain it.

Also, some form of regulation was needed to stop sugar daddies over spending, because despite United, Juventus, Milan, Inter having some semblance of wealth - we still had to spend within our means, because we didn't engage in fraud, because it's illegal and immoral and only leads to corruption.

So, while FFP was misguided in it's approach and roll out, the ideology behind it makes sense.
City can spend 500m every summer for the next 10 years and it won't dent the owners' wealth at all - but it will destabilise the market and price out everyone except PSG.

What City have done to circumvent that, according to these leaks amounts to fraud and leads to corruption - and yet you're suggesting that it 'might not be above board'?
The very idea that you're trying to find some equivalence between United & City's financial history is laughably ignorant.

Finally, any small club who could dream to compete will need to be successful, elite status isn't established within a few years. It took United, Madrid, Barca, Bayern, Juventus years of winning and success to be considered elite, and they represent 0.0001% of football clubs for that very reason, eliteness isn't something to be taken lightly, and it shouldn't be something that can be bought, especially from fraudulent means.

Also, having an owner who is rich/injects cash doesn't guarantee success, see; Leeds, Malaga & Newcastle.

Imagine being okay with fraud just because some clubs are elite, jealousy must be wild :lol:

I haven't read all of you guys' posts, but do you not fail to realise the difference between a sugar daddy that spends within reason, and literally endless moneybag owners that break the law, excercise corruption and threatens with lawsuits if they don't get their way? I don't think anyone is against owners spending money on their clubs, as long as it's within reason?
That's the point who decides the reasonable limit corruption should not condoned if City are guilty of breaking these laws they should be punished but my issue is with the very nature of FFP for all the hue and cry over City on this forum they have hardly spent outrageous money none of the player they have bought was beyond reach of other top club .

villain

Hates Beyoncé
They are doing that. Money and power like that makes you wreckless and getting away with it just makes them more brazen. The fact they have been able to intimidate and bribe governing bodies for a decade or so is testament to that.
I don't think it's not possible, I just think there are better ways they will cook the books.

Considering Liverpool, United, Spurs and Arsenal have all lost out to Oil clubs it's not beyond the realms of being impossible. La Liga and Bundesliga also are very vocal with their disapproval. I'd only imagine Ligue 1 and Serie A share similar views.
True, but I just don't see it personally - there's a lot of moving parts with that strategy and for an already unprecedented move you really need all parts to be perfectly aligned.

Sure, I think most clubs won't speak favourably on how City & PSG have acquired their money, however if Madrid, Barca, Bayern, United, Juve et al all opted out, would Spurs also opt-out? Or would they relish facing clubs in pot 3&4 of the coefficients so they can get an easy route to the latter stages of the CL?
There's a lot that would need to be worked out.

Barnslig

That's the point who decides the reasonable limit corruption should not condoned if City are guilty of breaking these laws they should be punished but my issue is with the very nature of FFP for all the hue and cry over City on this forum they have hardly spent outrageous money none of the player they have bought was beyond reach of other top club .
I would say people that work closely in the economic sector, with a leading government behind them. Surely City getting paid 2.5 billion for their sponsorships, while the likes of Bayern get 270m smells fishy to you as well? Obviously there has to be some rules in place or else the integrity of the game is gone?

cyberman

They have the most expensive squad of all time that allows them to lose KDB and not miss him, rest players and rake up a 100 point season.
Their back 4 cost as much as Bale / Ronaldo and Benzema!

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
What surprises me is the silence from the rest of the PL clubs. Surely they should be putting the pressure on?
Unless of course, they are up to no good as well:rolleyes:

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Again - nobody is saying there's something wrong with City having a sugar daddy, or they shouldn't be allowed to spend his money.

Just so we're clear.

What we're saying is that there needs to be sanctions against fraud, which these allegations have alleged, and it's clearly not fair if every other club have to spend within their means in order to turn a profit (yes, even the big boys) and City & PSG are state-backed and therefore don't have to worry about profit, ever.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Isn't this a clear case of money laundering?
Money laundering is the attempt to turn illegitimate funds or cash into legitimate funds. This doesn't qualify as money laundering.

Last edited:

RD76

My cynical, United supporting view is that this should be huge news. It should literally be all over every media outlet in this country and abroad. The fact that it isn't speaks volumes. The silence from many is deafening.

Can you imagine if this was us? What would it be like? We're shite and look at some of the disgusting things being written about us now!

Nothing surprises me in football anymore and we've all known what city have been doing for years. I'm interested in the reaction over the next few days, but if this is lukewarm, I think we can all guess why.

We shouldn't underestimate what we achieved under SAF and how much hatred this generated in fans and people in the media. All these journos are supporters too and most have an affinity with one club or another. Our success caused huge jealousy and we riled so many people. These people (there will be plenty in the media) now see this as payback and a chance to get some revenge on horrible Manchester United. They like how it's city and that we are struggling; they don't care how its happening and are simply overlooking the fact that it is all being done the way it's being done.

It stinks and they all piss in the same pot as far as I'm concerned.

Wessex Saint

Supports
Southampton
City need to be punished for this, its insulting towards the sport of football their actions.
Punished by who? Seems that the powers that be, and who should be upholding the integrity of the game, are equally culpable, and that is only on the face of it and their acquiescence to a bit of pressure being applied by City/PSG. (Goodness knows what you would uncover if you looked a little deeper.)

RD76

I hope that one of the leaks is regarding St Pep the inventor of football and his magical medicine.

Adisa

This is for Caf resident accountants. Would it be legal if that company wasn't paying any tax?

Barnslig

Punished by who? Seems that the powers that be, and who should be upholding the integrity of the game, are equally culpable, and that is only on the face of it and their acquiescence to a bit of pressure being applied by City/PSG. (Goodness knows what you would uncover if you looked a little deeper.)
If there's whiffs of corruption, threats and bribery, couldn't an economic equalient to Interpol (if that even exists?) intervene and investigate?

rotherham_red

They were complaining about OT wifi on Sunday Supplement a few months ago.
Why accommodate them at all? I never understood that. It would be mobile phone hotspots all round if I were in charge.
What's worse is that they are given the best seats in the house, right beside the manager's dugout. cnuts.

Treble

Found the article I read the other day in the Norwegian newspaper VG (whos part of the EIC), where they interview "John", the leader of Football Leaks.

https://www.vg.no/sport/fotball/i/0...supporterne-broedfoer-et-ukontrollert-monster

Journalist: "Considering some of the worlds largest football leaders probably wouldn't give you access to their e-mails, it would be correct to assume this has come from theft?"

"John": "Our group has never been involved in theft or hacking. Since the end of 2015 we've recieved thousands of gigabytes from different sources. Our mission has been to analyse and verify if the material is legit."

EDIT: I'm not saying the information is NOT hacked, I'm just saying it's just as much guessing as saying the documents are not. We simply do not know if there's disgruntled employees that have blown the whistle, if it's a mix, or if it's all hacked.
It's not guessing at all, it's a quite reasonable assumption. First, it's highly doubtful that a single employee can have access to all emails of the main men at City. Second, if there is such a person, it's very easy to identify him/her. He/she wouldn't take the risk to stand up to such people: apart from doing something illegal by giving access to private emails, he/she might be seriously hurt by them. The most likely scenario is that they have been hacked.

Adisa

Surely the minister for sport in this country should be looking into this?
Or are they on the payroll too?
I can't see it for a number of reasons. First of all, interference. The Secretary for sport (who actually just resigned) might see it as majority a UEFA issue and it's up to them to decide what they want to do.
The second is political. It could be seen as the UK givergover taking action against the goverbgove of Abu Dhabi, which is essentially what City are.
The third is, no actual laws have been broken.

cyberman

Money laundering is the attempt to turn illegitimate funds or cash into legitimate funds. This doesn't wualiqu as money laundering.
If they're secretly raising the monetary amount that a sponsor is paying without the sponsor declaring then how does that work?
I genuinely don't know. Doesn't that effect accounts, maybe even stock markets etc?
I know if Adidas were paying a lot less than what was announced there would be a shitstorm of mammoth proportions.

Adisa

If they're secretly raising the monetary amount that a sponsor is paying without the sponsor declaring then how does that work?
I genuinely don't know. Doesn't that effect accounts, maybe even stock markets etc?
I know if Adidas were paying a lot less than what was announced there would be a shitstorm of mammoth proportions.
The SFO and the SEC would have thrown the book at City if they were a publicly traded company. But they are not. City deserve all they get but I've not seen anything illegal from what has been exposed. There might be illegalities if a serious investigation is carried out. But we all know it won't happen.
As with PSG, UEFA would have known a lot of these things but chose to turn a the eye. I don't think it's that big of a leap to suggest there has been bribery or inducement of some kind. Platini and Infantino were in charge of this. You won't find a more corrupt duo in football.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
I saw a crap twitter message somewhere that said teams may refuse to play City. What would the consequences of that be if it happened?

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
City need to be punished for this, its insulting towards the sport of football their actions.
Who punishes them? UEFA? Fifa?

They're too big rich and powerful to be touched now. Wasn't one of the emails saying they would/could spend £50 million on lawyers for the next ten years against UEFA/Fifa if they tried anything.

That's what happens when you help a club become that powerful.

Josep Dowling

Is there anyway clubs can opt-out of playing in Europe?

If clubs took view that UEFA have compromised their integrity and therefore don't want to participate in any games that UEFA put on, then it will put pressure on them to bring sanctions forward.

Obviously it's a practically impossible idea, but that's the only kind of move that will really cause UEFA to act imo.
Media pressure isn't enough, and their reputation has been in the gutter for many years, they don't care.
Never going to happen. The Champions League is a bonus money train for a lot of the big clubs. There is no way clubs will turn down the chance of earning over £60m from a long run just for morals. That is part of the problem with football at the moment. The right thing is never done because of money.

Last edited:

shuggie

Supports
Manchester City
Lots of statements in these posts saying City have broken laws. Would someone care to elaborate which particular law or laws?

Or are you talking about so called FFP “rules” which City would have sued UEFA on but UEFA preferred to agree a deal to stop those corrupt anti-competition rules being ruled unlawful in the courts.

It seems that it is UEFA that are the ones on dodgy legal ground.

Dudu

What surprises me is the silence from the rest of the PL clubs. Surely they should be putting the pressure on?
Unless of course, they are up to no good as well:rolleyes:

Regardless, highly doubt anything will come of this.

shuggie

Supports
Manchester City
Sod

Never going to happen. The Champions League is a bonus money train for a lot of the big clubs. There is no way clubs will turn down the chance of earning over £60m from a long run just for morals. That is part of the problem with football at the moment. The right thing is never done because of money.
No way city will be allowed to break the rules you say? Rules have to be lawful and that is the problem with FFP, it was on very dodgy legal ground, hence the reason they settled with the two targets of the whole scheme. Otherwise they would have been sued and lost in the European courts.

Adisa

If there's whiffs of corruption, threats and bribery, couldn't an economic equalient to Interpol (if that even exists?) intervene and investigate?
That would be a police matter. The police are never going to get involved in this unless something clear props up. The only way something props of is if UEFA fund evidence of criminality in their investigation. From what we know, UEFA are complicit in covering up for City.
You are not going to report your accomplice in a crime to the police.

Dudu

La Liga chiefs also reportedly demanding an investigation.

Again, i refuse to believe that anything substantial will come from all this.. but I hope everyone keeps the pressure up.

Josep Dowling

The thing is even if they have done this to circumvent FFP surely there is a whole host of other things that are illegal.

They have ultimately inflated the books, that's potential money laundering under EU law. Added to the fact the club is valued at a number based on revenue generated from fake sponsorships. Surely you can't do that?

Trizy

La Liga chiefs also reportedly demanding an investigation.

Again, i refuse to believe that anything substantial will come from all this.. but I hope everyone keeps the pressure up.
I love how butthurt the Spanish are over the sale of Neymar :lol:.

Where were they when we had to compete with the Russian crook and City pre-Neymar to PSG?

Barnslig

That would be a police matter. The police are never going to get involved in this unless something clear props up. The only way something props of is if UEFA fund evidence of criminality in their investigation. From what we know, UEFA are complicit in covering up for City.
You are not going to report your accomplice in a crime to the police.
Alright, but if we look beyond City in this - could anything happen to UEFA/FIFA for blatantly looking the other way to corruption, and/or enabling corruption in a grand scale? I'm genuinely asking the question as I have no idea about this stuff.

cyberman

I saw a crap twitter message somewhere that said teams may refuse to play City. What would the consequences of that be if it happened?
Teams could simply play their reserves against them and kill their sense of achievement.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
They should threaten to take the World Cup from them if they say they will bog UEFA down with lawyers.