Oil Money in Football | New City expose

beedoubleyou

So what sort of punishments could be handed out? Doubtful they would do anything retrospective, but I wonder if there's a chance of a Juventus calciopoli type punishment... Not sure how long it would go back, but would be nice to add on a few titles I guess :lol:
If this builds up enough steam I could see a future ban from european competitions for a few years though. It really needs to be more than just a slap on the wrist like most of the fines tend to be.
Literally not even being reported by most of the English press.

Maybe tomorrow we shall find out why.

Judas

Open to offers
I'm struggling to care a bit, we sort of all knew this was going on, and I can't convince myself anything meaningful will be done to them, unfortunately.

WensleyMU

As nice as it would be to have to change the chant to "twenty two twenty two Man United" it would be better to just remove their titles.

Can't have the Scouse reaching 19 now can we. Perspective people, think of the children fgs!

Demotion to the National League South (we won't have them up North any more), a 10 year, 40 points per season deduction, transfer ban for 10 years, a 25 year suspension from European competition and exclusion from all domestic cups for 5 years.

As a minimum punishment

JohnnyKills

I’ve just had a look through the online UK newspapers (I know, I feel dirty now) and there is very little to nothing being reported.
If this was United that was involved, it would be front page news and a 10 page expose!
There was a debate in parliament when United pulled out of the FA Cup for a year - at the government's behest.

City are distorting the entire sport, where are the protests in parliament and the media?

Oh yeah I forgot, it's not United, so it's fine.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
It would behove saint pep to resign in the face of this blatant failure of ethics from his employer.

CA1

I understand the jokes about not wanting Liverpool to win it and as a United fan I wouldn't want Liverpool to win their own Christmas raffle but there's the football fan inside of me that says I'd rather they win it than City. Liverpool have big support and history and with that the last couple of years they've got good owners (IMO- I'm not getting into that again on this thread re: The Glazers), a good vision and a good manager who's built a squad well. If they come 2nd this year, something tells me that hasn't been and probably never will be properly rewarded because City will be ahead of them. And City will be ahead of them because they've cheated. That is the reality.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Clearly FIFA are already bought and paid for by Oil Money so I doubt if UEFA have any real ability or inclination to give City the punishment they deserve.

It is good to see it being revealed in indisputable detail. I would like to see some of the genuine football people who are associated with City come out and call it for the disgrace to the club that it clearly is.

Last edited:

Bwuk

Clubs like City are everything that's wrong with football.

A toy for the rich.

Posh Red

True. There are a couple of similar stock tweets from James Ducker and Rob Draper in the last hour that would cover them should they be untrue. Tomorrow's edition is regarding human rights and City trying to manipulate the press. We may see a reason then but I suggest, like today's info, tomorrow's will pretty much be regurgitated stuff that has been thrown around before
I'm sure you're right. Although I do wonder if City's good relationship with the press is what's causing certain outlets to hang on for more concrete information.

jontheblue

Supports
MCFC
Most of what's been released is not new and unless it relates to events after the settlement with UEFA, are irrelevant. There is a reason that UEFA settled - they didn't want this all aired in public because they would have to release plenty of info about their own house that they wouldn't want to plus they couldn't take the risk of losing the legal case over the legitimacy of FFP. So if there's nothing that post-dates the settlement, there's nothing more going to happen and if there is, it will just lead to another settlement. Obviously they are trying to make the releases as sensational as they can but there really is very little that's remotely new - for example, the stuff about image rights was both known and widely available in the public domain.

Posh Red

Most of what's been released is not new and unless it relates to events after the settlement with UEFA, are irrelevant. There is a reason that UEFA settled - they didn't want this all aired in public because they would have to release plenty of info about their own house that they wouldn't want to plus they couldn't take the risk of losing the legal case over the legitimacy of FFP. So if there's nothing that post-dates the settlement, there's nothing more going to happen and if there is, it will just lead to another settlement. Obviously they are trying to make the releases as sensational as they can but there really is very little that's remotely new - for example, the stuff about image rights was both known and widely available in the public domain.
Do you agree with the way Man City go about their business in general? Yes or no answer please.

CA1

Well that's why journalists have tried to get the bottom of the truth, as they will feel people have the right to know.

What the football world does with the information is up to them. But before they could have suspected what they'd like but with no line of evidence. Now it is different.

UEFA could have swept whatever they'd like under the carpet but now they have to act. That's how things like this work and why people should ask questions in all avenues of life. There is a lot of corruption and lies out there.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Couldn't give a feck about City anyway, I don't even have a grudging respect for them. I actually hope they win the league this season to stop Liverpool winning it, anything City win will always be meaningless.

jontheblue

Supports
MCFC
Do you agree with the way Man City go about their business in general? Yes or no answer please.
I don't understand what you mean by 'agree with'. If you mean do I find it acceptable, the answer is yes.

jontheblue

Supports
MCFC
Well that's why journalists have tried to get the bottom of the truth, as they will feel people have the right to know.

What the football world does with the information is up to them. But before they could have suspected what they'd like but with no line of evidence. Now it is different.

UEFA could have swept whatever they'd like under the carpet but now they have to act. That's how things like this work and why people should ask questions in all avenues of life. There is a lot of corruption and lies out there.
I don't understand your point. Are you suggesting that City have done something criminal ? That they have defrauded someone ? What is it that UEFA have to act upon exactly ?

CA1

I don't understand your point. Are you suggesting that City have done something criminal ? That they have defrauded someone ? What is it that UEFA have to act upon exactly ?
This is sport and City have cheated the rules. Other clubs and football supporters have every right to want something to be done about that.

The supporters of football (fans, journalists, anyone with an interest) are there to behold football's morality as much as they can. UEFA, FIFA etc claim to but certainly do not. Them sweeping it under the carpet is an indictment of them (not for the first time). Fans have every right to question it.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Titles won't be stripped or anything, as far as I know they just broke UEFA FFP rules so any punishments would relate to European competition as opposed to domestic. Not massively clued up on the Premier League's version of it, would imagine it's a lot more lax than what UEFA's is 'meant' to be.

EyeInTheSky

I understand the jokes about not wanting Liverpool to win it and as a United fan I wouldn't want Liverpool to win their own Christmas raffle but there's the football fan inside of me that says I'd rather they win it than City. Liverpool have big support and history and with that the last couple of years they've got good owners (IMO- I'm not getting into that again on this thread re: The Glazers), a good vision and a good manager who's built a squad well. If they come 2nd this year, something tells me that hasn't been and probably never will be properly rewarded because City will be ahead of them. And City will be ahead of them because they've cheated. That is the reality.
So in that same vein where we actually physically finished 2nd we were not rewarded with the title? Which makes more sense since that is how the season finished and we are barely 10 games into this season to be judging where they will end up.

And the season where we lost on goal difference?

CA1

So in that same vein where we actually physically finished 2nd we were not rewarded with the title? Which makes more sense since that is how the season finished and we are barely 10 games into this season to be judging where they will end up.

And the season where we lost on goal difference?
I can't get to hung up on what would happen with things like this to be fair. It's the future of football I'm more worried about if things like this are allowed to carry on.

jontheblue

Supports
MCFC
This is sport and City have cheated the rules. Other clubs and football supporters have every right to want something to be done about that.

The supporters of football (fans, journalists, anyone with an interest) are there to behold football's morality as much as they can. UEFA, FIFA etc claim to but certainly do not. Them sweeping it under the carpet is an indictment of them (not for the first time). Fans have every right to question it.
Morality ? Seriously ? Football lost all claim to holding any kind of moral high ground years ago.

CA1

Morality ? Seriously ? Football lost all claim to holding any kind of moral high ground years ago.
I 100% agree.

But when things get put out in the open, they should be dealt with. I know there will be thousands of dodgy deals going in football that are under the surface.

What would you propose everyone does with this information then? Just forget about it?

EyeInTheSky

Did it ever really have any? Even back to the "good old days", where players were paid a loaf of bread a week by their super-rich club owners at the time who were just as corrupt and had ill-gotten gains to one extent or another, while still working in the coal mines during the week.

The only difference now is that players are now earning feck loads comparatively speaking.

jontheblue

Supports
MCFC
I 100% agree.

But when things get put out in the open, they should be dealt with. I know there will be thousands of dodgy deals going in football that are under the surface.

What would you propose everyone does with this information then? Just forget about it?
I think the problem is that when you get down to the absolute nuts & bolts of this, is football really supposed to stand up and say to the outside world it's fine to put a club into debt, it's fine to alienate the fans with big annual price rises & kit prices that are close to criminal, it's fine for agents to manipulate players in so many different ways, it's fine for all the kickbacks that go on, it's basically fine to do anything you want except god forbid, try and inject cash into the business.

Outside football that just won't wash

Inside football, UEFA agreed to a settlement

You also, IMO, have to take into account that at it's core, everything City does is focussed on sporting success. At United, in contrast, it's all about the money, with the sporting success not being the priority. Normally fraud means the sport suffers. Most financial 'crimes' involve fraud and victims - who exactly are the victims here ? Who has been defrauded ? Or, is there no crime ?

So to turn the question back on you, what is it that you are proposing is done and who is it that should do it ? These are indeed sensational stories but what is it on a practical level you think can be done ?

Fluctuation0161

Jamie Jackson right now is adding up if he should write about this or not.

On one hand, it's news.

On the other hand, does he want to start having to pay for his own Ray Bans to wear in future press conferences? After all, Christmas is coming and City do buy the best gifts.

Tough call.

Maybe just ignore it and enjoy the surprise of having another Wayne Rooney story to report on.
Good point. He has not said a word on this.

jontheblue

Supports
MCFC
Did it ever really have any? Even back to the "good old days", where players were paid a loaf of bread a week by their super-rich club owners at the time who were just as corrupt and had ill-gotten gains to one extent or another, while still working in the coal mines during the week.

The only difference now is that players are now earning feck loads comparatively speaking.
Probably not - these things are always relative. Plus we look back with rose tinted glasses.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Normally fraud means the sport suffers. Most financial 'crimes' involve fraud and victims - who exactly are the victims here ? Who has been defrauded ? Or, is there no crime ?
Every other club that abides by FFP rules?

Inter Yer Nan

I basically pay City no attention as it is since I think it's obvious all along they are crooked. I'm glad it's exposed on a large scale and also obvious the press are too spineless to just be honest about them instead getting hush money no doubt.

They are the poster child for whats wrong with modern football and part of what's turning me off the sport tbh. I find myself watching less and less premier league football not only because we are shite but because the game just enables stuff like City and PSG. I'll probably only watch them twice this season - against us. Much like I've only watched about 2-3 PSG games in the last couple of years.