Old Trafford Naming Rights or Antoine Griezmann

GJNJ

After securing Paul Pogba Ed is looking at his phone checking Man Utd's and Pogba's twitter hits and see's Antoine Griezmann has tweeted Pogba saying "Congrats, See you soon...Hopefully ;):drool::devil:, PS. I wish it would rain more in Spain :(". The tweet is quickly deleted.... this gets his muppet jucies flowing.

Some minutes later he is fastening his belt back up, he then fields a call from Boddingtons Brewery and they are reopening a new brewery and are going big on advertising. They want naming rights to Old Trafford and will pay £150m over 5 years to name it Boddingtons Old Trafford Stadium.

His first thoughts no because that fans will go ape shit but then thinks with the money he maybe able to trigger Griezmann's buyout clause and pay him for 5 years with the money.

What should Ed do?

Basically if it meant signing a player like Griezmann would anyone be fussed about the naming rights for Old Trafford?

Edit: Didn't realise this needed to be spoon fed and be made literal. This isn't happening, the premise for the question was what are your feelings on the naming rights, how much would it take? Would you not want it on under any circumstances?

I'm wouldn't want us to unless we financially had to but i accept it will be inevitable at some point.

Last edited:

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I wouldn't have Messi and Neymar at United for the stadium to be called anything other than Old Trafford.

Werder Herzog

After securing Paul Pogba Ed is looking at his phone checking Man Utd's and Pogba's twitter hits and see's Antoine Griezmann has tweeted Pogba saying "Congrats, See you soon...Hopefully ;):drool::devil:, PS. I wish it would rain more in Spain :(". The tweet is quickly deleted.... this gets his muppet jucies flowing.

Some minutes later he is fastening his belt back up, he then fields a call from Boddingtons Brewery and they are reopening a new brewery and are going big on advertising. They want naming rights to Old Trafford and will pay £150m over 5 years to name it Boddingtons Old Trafford Stadium.

His first thoughts no because that fans will go ape shit but then thinks with the money he maybe able to trigger Griezmann's buyout clause and pay him for 5 years with the money.

What should Ed do?

Basically if it meant signing a player like Griezmann would anyone be fussed about the naming rights for Old Trafford?
Wouldn't bother me- all the top sports teams especially state side do it.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We should never sell out like that, and we don't need to in order to sign Griezmann anyway

Dracula

caf plane air-master
Who the feck would say no to this question? We should have no problem buying any player in the world without selling our stadiums name

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Old Trafford. Only way I would ever accept selling our stadium name was if the club was going under. We can easily afford Griezmann's buyout clause anyway. Our players have to take photos holding a gulf oil bottle with their faces on it. Spare some dignity for crying out loud.

CG1010

No. We already got Pogba and many other super signings this season. Next season I am sure we can afford big signings again without needing to sell stadium naming rights.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
He should ask for far more than £150m over 5 years and then when they are willing to increase their offer he should tell them to feck off and say the naming rights are not for sale.

Meanwhile he should use the money from the EPL tv rights, the addidas deal and the chevy deal and sell Rooney to the chinese to buy Griezmann anyway

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I would rather stick to Valencia and Young then see OT renamed

ChaddyP

I would rather be relegated than lose the old Trafford name. It's that serious for me.

GimmeAKitKat

Four Brown Fingers
No, not for any player or any fee.

Dont like old grounds selling their names. If your building a new ground and the sponsorship can pay for/towards it, then fair enough, but dont agree with old grounds being changed.

Sigma

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, but probably not the best thing to do

dirtygringo

Winner of the 150 Posts in 11 Whole Years Award
Better idea: Ed pays the sum of £150mill to buy the naming rights to Atletico's Vincente Calderon Stadium. Come watch Griezmann play at the famous Manchester United Stadium in Madrid

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I would rather jump from a cliff than sit and watch Old Trafford losing its name.

RedTiger

Half mast

What should Ed do?

Are you having a laugh? You'd sell the naming rights of Old Trafford for 150m over 5 years?? Mate, if we sell then it would be for 500m minimum.

Robertd0803

No renaming Old Trafford. And Griezeman annoys the hell out of me so certainly not for him.

villain

Hates Beyoncé

What should Ed do?

What a car crash of a thread :lol:

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I'd sell the naming rights of OT for the right price sure.

Get money from all over the business including the Stadium.

If Old Trafford stays in the stadium name I'm not bothered.

MartialsBeard

Yeah why not, Id just ask they keep the name in the new name so wit would be like:

"Adidas Arena Old Trafford"

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
That's the first time I've thought about Boddingtons in at least ten years.

Theonas

Scout
Oh yea definitely! While we're at it, why not change our colours from red to yellow for a shot at Neymar? And who cares about our crest as long as we win a trophy at the end of season which the signing of Müller will ensure? Seriously, the desperation of some of our fans to sign, sign, sign you'd think we haven't been successful for a century.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
What's with the sudden influx of completely bonkers scenarios on this place :lol:

hbgreg

The see you soon means both are signing for Madrid in a few years, even in this hypothetical scenario.

GJNJ

We should never sell out like that, and we don't need to in order to sign Griezmann anyway
We can blatantly afford players of this calibre without doing this.
We could next season, but I doubt we would stump up the cash in this window after signing Pogba. I have always been in the No camp but seems invitable at some point.

ChrisNelson

Abramovich has never sold out on Stamford Bridge so this gives me confidence Old Trafford is here for a good while yet.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Would rather see Valencia's penis than see OT renamed. Feck that shite.

Scholsey2004

What should Ed do?

Do we have to use 'Boddingtons' in this analogy. Cant we be renamed Durex Stadium? We could change our nickname to 'the johnnies'

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Wouldn't be the absolutely end of the world, because it's always going to be known as Old Trafford. The Adidas Arena, or the Aeroflot Stadium might be right by definition if it happened, but in conversation it will always be Old Trafford.