Old Trafford revamp/could be torn down and rebuilt according to Glazer plans

What’s your preference for Old Trafford?

• Rebuild

Votes: 714 48.4%
  • Renovate

Votes: 736 49.9%
  • Leave it as is

Votes: 26 1.8%

• Total voters

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
It would be class if we built a new stadium next door, and the new mini-stadium incorporated some of OT, as has been suggested. Keep the South Stand as the 'main' stand (fix the roof though!) and strip down the rest to smaller single tier stands. That way, the heritage of the stadium remains, instead of being totally demolished. Would be rather cool if the youth teams got to play at the OG Old Trafford.

Djemba-Djemba

I'm 6"3 and have literally never faced an issue at Old Trafford relating to my height so I'm really interested to hear the explanation to this one.
You must have tiny legs and just a massively long torso then.

I'm about your height and OT is a fecking pain in the arse for leg room, by far the worst of all the stadiums I've been to.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
If we do end up building a new one, I'd thieve the Indianapolis Colts' stadium design. Not much says Manchester more than a massive fecking red brick warehouse. :lol:

This is great. That exterior looks so classy and a perfect fit for Manchester if the bricks are red.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
If we do end up building a new one, I'd thieve the Indianapolis Colts' stadium design. Not much says Manchester more than a massive fecking red brick warehouse. :lol:

This stadium looks like a place where you go expecting some craft beer and you are disappointed there is a stadium in it instead.

That being said, I actually really love this, it looks amazing.

On the topic of Old Trafford I am genuinely hugely conflicted, because as far as Manchester United goes, Old Trafford is the identity and soul of the club. The "Theatre of Dreams" is one of the most iconic stadiums in all of sports, and I honestly feel fuzzy just imaging CL nights there. So from a emotional point of view I would prefer a full refurbishment of the stadium.

BUT

Emotions are usually bad business. emotions wont fix the leaks in the roof and the lacking infrastructure that is currently behind modern stadium, so something needs to be done.

Building a new stadium feels like the most obvious answer for the future. Upgrading OT in its current state is a huge project and extremely costly.

Would fans want a new stadium to be built on the site of the current stadium? Or would everyone be fine with a location nearby?

IF the Glazers go the route of new stadium, a smart thing would be to make the bidding projects public and let fans vote on the stadium design they like the most. Its a good way to avoid onslaught if they decide to go with a "style of the year" design thats 50% futuristic 50% officecomplex 200% glass.

Regardless of what happens, the stadium still need to be called "Old Trafford"

Precaution

I love the insane juxtaposition...you've got Strangeways which is a hell hole and at the end of those streets you see modern skyline developing. Anyway I'm not sure it started then, it started back in 96 but stopped due the world economic crises at the turn of the millennium, the boom has kicked started with a lot of private investment in the last few years. But I do get the feeling the powers in charge would like to see Manchester as a second capital.
Exactly what happened in White City when the BBC moved there originally, still is but has been gentrified massively since. You got all these nice fancy arse apartments and a massive Westfield then you walk less than a mile and you get the run down craplola that is the White City estate and Shepherds Bush is a weird mixture of it all, Manchester feels very samey in a way to that, I had to go Media Village (worked for the BBC) and it was all completely flashy then you go out and it's abit ... Urgh

Spoony

The People's President
Exactly what happened in White City when the BBC moved there originally, still is but has been gentrified massively since. You got all these nice fancy arse apartments and a massive Westfield then you walk less than a mile and you get the run down craplola that is the White City estate and Shepherds Bush is a weird mixture of it all, Manchester feels very samey in a way to that, I had to go Media Village (worked for the BBC) and it was all completely flashy then you go out and it's abit ... Urgh

The areas around the centre are getting developed as well. Strangeways is about to be flattened to become an entrance to the centre...and Collyhurst is about to become a part of the centre. Will be fantastic in a decade. As for the BBC, they're at the Quays. That will always looking like it's in the middle of nowhere.

I’m loving my life

It’s called media city ffs

UnitedFire

Might as well tear down the whole club while they’re at it.
May as well do a brand and location swap with Newcastle. Their owners get the Old Trafford land and Manchester United name and can start their huge project.

Our shit players then all have to head up to Newcastle and play in even colder temperatures!

redshaw

Very timely. After seeing Maguire and Rashford this season I think we've all had enough so yes tear it down and give something back to the region by building a lake with some wildlife.

Infra-red

It would be class if we built a new stadium next door, and the new mini-stadium incorporated some of OT, as has been suggested. Keep the South Stand as the 'main' stand (fix the roof though!) and strip down the rest to smaller single tier stands. That way, the heritage of the stadium remains, instead of being totally demolished. Would be rather cool if the youth teams got to play at the OG Old Trafford.
I do quite like this idea. Future United youth sides playing their games on the original hallowed turf at OT, under the shadow of the South Stand and the Munich Tunnel.

First team in a brand new 90k stadium next door.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
They don't need to rebuild

The ground needs updated technology and lick of paint alongside some DIY but a rebuild/new ground would cost what a billion?

Given that most people think we need to spend 500 million on players alone this summer, where is this money going to come from?

RoyH1

The ground needs updated technology and lick of paint alongside some DIY but a rebuild/new ground would cost what a billion?

Given that most people think we need to spend 500 million on players alone this summer, where is this money going to come from?
We could have a word with Barsa's bankers. They seem to have solutions to this.

JB7

You must have tiny legs and just a massively long torso then.

I'm about your height and OT is a fecking pain in the arse for leg room, by far the worst of all the stadiums I've been to.
I just never have to sit down tbf, corners have very tight leg room I know that. But as pointed out there are other massive issues with the more modern types of stadiums too so it's more a case of pick your poison.

RopersReturn

We need a new ground to rival City, Spurs & Arsenal. In addition, we could do with a new squad, new board of directors and a new manager too.

Crick

It's not about next year or the year after though is it. Most grounds take about 10 years from initial plan to opening so the costs would only be architect designs and planning fees for the first few years. The ground would only be being used in the 2030's and financing would be over 20 to 30 years. Spurs paid an estimated £1.2b which should be around £45m per year over £30 years but it was a difficult build which they part played in. Originally it was only supposed to be £600m but costs spiralled as they played in it which took much longer. I think Everton new stadium is more comparable in terms of cost. £500m for a 52000 seater on a new site. Again a difficult build due to filling in the dock with sand first. We own the ground at the fright yard, its level with nothing to do to clean up the site. I think it could be cheaper and definitely faster than renovating OT.

F-Red

That’s effectively a rebuild you’re talking about.

A refurb still doesn’t address the elephant in the room that Old Trafford needs a complete overhaul. No amount of paint will get away from the fact that the facilities are no longer at a top level. It will probably will be the best investment the club will make in the next 10 years I would say.

Banana Republic

It’s not an either or.
OT needs a lot of improvement and updating, but we still need a brand new facility to take us forward over the next half century.

Realistically, a brand new stadium next door won’t be ready until around 2028-30 at the earliest.
OT can’t just be let to rot even further over the next 6 to 8 years or longer, so a lot of remedial work will still have to be carried out.

Rebuilding the existing stadium will have to be staged and done in a way that will allow games to be played and fans to be accommodated safely. All that will extend the timeline and add to the cost considerably.
Put the sizeable loss of match day revenue over several seasons, in to the mix and the case for a rebuild becomes increasing difficult.
A clean sheet design would be the best way to go, both practically and commercially.

It‘s not as if much of the old Old Trafford is left anyway.
Just the South Stand and even that has a more recent, replacement roof that’s only what, 35 or 40 years old?
The rest is less than 30 years old, that just happens to sit on the site of the original ground.

Varane around town

Don't demolish the bloody stadium

There isn't that much wrong with Old Trafford. It's a bit old and tatty and needs to have some money spent on it, the south stands needs to be developed and I'd like a big screen. None of that detracts from the fact that Old Trafford is a pretty good place to watch football.

ihateliverpool

Don't demolish the bloody stadium

There isn't that much wrong with Old Trafford. It's a bit old and tatty and needs to have some money spent on it, the south stands needs to be developed and I'd like a big screen. None of that detracts from the fact that Old Trafford is a pretty good place to watch football.
atletico Madrid, and gdansk, 2 of our last 5 away venues, absolutely blow old Trafford don’t the alter, especially Gdańsk, beautoful stadium, so much room, sorry but old Trafford is seriously lagging behind

Fiocca

I think a fresh stadium would actually be good for the club. Aside from the practical challenges of it, our club is weighed down so heavily by the history that I think it affects the players.

Imagine trying to live up to all the great players we've had and the pure moments of joy of the past that are plastered everywhere in the stadium. It's a massive burden for anyone.

A new stadium would underline our successful past and subsequent decline. It would give us a chance to be a new Manchester United where players can make their own impact without constant comparisons scattered everywhere around them.

As for the design itself, we're the red devils. It should be modern BUT take inspiration of the existing stadium and use the devil as a basis of the design. The place should be like walking into hell, two modern looking devil horns should rise high over the stadium overlooking the pitch with fire flowing out the ends before and after kickoff. It should be a blood red and black colour scheme that gives a foreboding feel.

Go modern, but crazy, not sterile.

Hughie77

Ffs they've spent hardly anything on the ground the quadrant sections were planned before they bought it, they've threw lick of paint here and there . Updated the disabled section. Knock it down and start again?
Unless they get a Saudi Prince to give them the cash stadium is staying the same.

Spoony

The People's President
Ffs they've spent hardly anything on the ground the quadrant sections were planned before they bought it, they've threw lick of paint here and there . Updated the disabled section. Knock it down and start again?
Unless they get a Saudi Prince to give them the cash stadium is staying the same.

They make more profit knocking it down. Madrid are paying £25m per year in repayments and they're projected to make £400m extra revenue per year. Their stadium will cost £700m over 30 years. They'll (Glazers) go mental and make it commercial to generate as much cash as possible. These lot are businessmen, they won't be doing for the love of the fans. I can't see them doing owt else.

Coops73

Unless they get some investment from somebody else they ain’t rebuilding shit and I assume if someone wants to invest several hundred million they will want a percentage of the club (which I don’t think the glazers will entertain) or some sort of naming rights (I doubt any one will pay the sort of money needed to build a new stadium just to get their name over the door) so they’ll probably just load the club with more debt to do what they need to do, how much they’ll be able to borrow who knows, I reckon this will go quiet pretty quickly when some figures are shoved under their noses.

RuudTom83

I wonder how Arsenal fans would feel now having moved from Highbury to a stadium which could be generalised as the modern soulless stadium.

Interesting comparison to what United fans might feel.

Any rebuild would be more interesting for me if it was to keep a part of the current stadium, the same pitch etc. It would be a shame to knockdown the SAF stand.

lifted

They make more profit knocking it down. Madrid are paying £25m per year in repayments and they're projected to make £400m extra revenue per year. Their stadium will cost £700m over 30 years. They'll (Glazers) go mental and make it commercial to generate as much cash as possible. These lot are businessmen, they won't be doing for the love of the fans. I can't see them doing owt else.
Can imagine they'll view a new stadium as being up for grabs sponsorship wise too.