Old Trafford revamp/could be torn down and rebuilt according to Glazer plans

What’s your preference for Old Trafford?

• Rebuild

Votes: 714 48.4%
  • Renovate

Votes: 736 49.9%
  • Leave it as is

Votes: 26 1.8%

• Total voters

Dan_F

Coming from an American Closed Franchise system I can tell you exactly what the Glazer's want.
1. They are hoping to get into a closed Super League or get immunity from relegation.
2. They will then force the city and citizens to pay or give tax breaks for a new stadium or massive upgrades or threaten to move the team to another city (in England or Europe)

This happens all the time in America as their is no way to get promoted to the top league. Franchises become commodities that newer cities try to lure to their town with new stadium packages.

Baltimore Colts > Indianapolis Colts (NFL)
Cleveland Browns > Baltimore Ravens (NFL)
Montreal Expos > Washington Nationals (MLB baseball)
Oakland Raiders > Los Angeles Raiders > Oakland Raiders > Las Vegas Raiders (NFL)
Vancouver Grizzlies > Memphis Grizzlies (NBA basketball)
Minnesota North Stars > Dallas Stars (NHL hockey)

These creatures (Glazer's, Kroenke's) feel entitled that it is there right that they do not have to pay for anything and that the cities and fans fund their stadiums or give then huge tax breaks on the surrounding land development. Even if they have 10 years of losing seasons, they still make tons of money and because they can't get relegated, they can hold cities and teams hostage by threatening to move if they don't get a new stadium.

Stan Kroenke moved his St. Louis Rams out of his own home state to Los Angeles because he felt he could make more money and Los Angeles was going to provide his development company with huge taxbreaks.
Good post. I think it would be next to impossible for them to do that with a club like United, but it’s not like we haven’t seen that here before with MK Dons.

Glazers Out!

Good post. I think it would be next to impossible for them to do that with a club like United, but it’s not like we haven’t seen that here before with MK Dons.
What a closed league does is limit the supply of franchises. If the Super League happens then, what 15 permanent clubs. They have all the power and can threaten to move cities since their is a cap on permanent clubs. Makes them all powerful.

stw2022

The whole area needs upgrading. They bought lots of land and done nothing. It needs good £300m spent on it

MarylandMUFan

What a closed league does is limit the supply of franchises. If the Super League happens then, what 15 permanent clubs. They have all the power and can threaten to move cities since their is a cap on permanent clubs. Makes them all powerful.
Where would they move to? It's not like the USA, where there are a lot of really large metropolitan areas with not professional team (hell, even Los Angeles went years without a team). It seems like every neighborhood in London has their own team (some large, some small). To move a team like Manchester United would mean losing all of the local fan base and a huge majority of the out of town supporters. Add to it that there are no large cities in England pining for a professional team of their own, I just don't see it.

tomaldinho1

The sticking point is the train track is it not?
I think so re expansion that way - to be honest it's an old stadium and there's a limit to how much better you can make it without moving the location or completely rebuilding. If you look at Everton's stadium plans, they're going to be right on the waterside - it's obviously a smaller capacity and I wonder if that's an option for us in the future somewhere around the quays.

Can imagine it now, a pitch without the ramp at the sides, a retractable roof....a cheese room!

Glazers Out!

Where would they move to? It's not like the USA, where there are a lot of really large metropolitan areas with not professional team (hell, even Los Angeles went years without a team). It seems like every neighborhood in London has their own team (some large, some small). To move a team like Manchester United would mean losing all of the local fan base and a huge majority of the out of town supporters. Add to it that there are no large cities in England pining for a professional team of their own, I just don't see it.
If the Glazer's ambition of Relegation Immunity and a Super League Closed system are realized then you essentially only have 12 permanent teams in Europe's highest division.
Manchester (United, City)
Liverpool
London (Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal)
Barcelona
Madrid (Atletico Madrid, Real Madrid)
Milan (AC Milan, Inter Milan)
Turin (Juventus)

There will be a high temptation for a parasitic American owner to move their franchise from a 2 or 3 team town to a new one team city that will fund their every whim and build them a new stadium.

Large cities like Rome, Marseille, Istanbul, Amsterdam, Edinburgh, Brussels or mega rich cities like Oslo, Geneva could easily pull a Super League team whose home city didn't meet their demands.

A cold blooded creature like the American Kroenke would have no problem moving Arsenal to Rome or Oslo. Afterall he sold out his own home town and home state to move the St. Louis Rams to Los Angeles.

This is the plan of the greedy ringmaster, Joel Glazer and his compatriot Stan Kroenke.

Glazers Out!

To move a team like Manchester United would mean losing all of the local fan base and a huge majority of the out of town supporters.
To answer your second point, the Glazer's and Kroneke's care little about the local, "Legacy" English supporter.
If they were to move Manchester United to become Rome Manchester United or Beijing Manchester United., they would be fine because they would still have the two billion supporters from Asia and Africa.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
You look at those pictures and then you read some of the nonsense posted by some absolute weapons on this forum saying how protests have disrupted their routines and you just know we'll keep declining until the American leeches are in charge.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Makes me so angry when some fans on here try to defend them when they clearly have no idea what they're talking about. The Glazers have been a undisputed disaster for this club. The sooner they are out the better off we will be.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
To answer your second point, the Glazer's and Kroneke's care little about the local, "Legacy" English supporter.
If they were to move Manchester United to become Rome Manchester United or Beijing Manchester United., they would be fine because they would still have the two billion supporters from Asia and Africa.
It's good that football in Europe doesn't have the stucture required to do that like they have in the US.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Seems like they're not funding the required amount of staff in the Facilities team so they're not on top of this kind of thing. I doubt they're so tight they refuse to sort a desk out. That or the person in charge of this is inept. That's definitely a possibility. Seems mad that they wouldn't prioritise what everyone sees on TV

Makes me so angry when some fans on here try to defend them when they clearly have no idea what they're talking about. The Glazers have been a undisputed disaster for this club. The sooner they are out the better off we will be.
People have different levels of emotional investment in the club.

'Legacy fans' are now seen as a pain in the arse for the club because we expects some level of standards to be maintained and are invested in the club's past, present and future.

The club just care about the fan who buys a shirt each season (maybe some other merch too), pays for Sky and BT sports and views the game as mild entertainment, just like watching a movie. Those fans don't have an interest in things like the condition inside the stadium, it still looks great on tv.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I doubt Kane and Sancho are looking the quality of our tables
It's just a small example of the lack of care and attention that runs through the whole club. You'd expect it from a basement club but the little details should matter at club like ours.

Mr. Ant

Or maybe some of us don't want the Saudis as owners?

Glazers are horrible owners but it could be worse. Just look at Arsenal for example.

Roboc7

Glazers are horrible owners but it could be worse. Just look at Arsenal for example.
Not sure why anyone is concerned about the Saudi’s, they are trying to buy Newcastle so they won’t be buying us. No idea why it’s used as an excuse for the Glazers so regularly.

Last edited:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

What kind or argument is that? I don't want Saudis either. And there's no chance of that happening anyway.

There are other businessmen in the world other than Saudis.

Red_toad

Not sure why anyone is concerned about the Saudi’s, they are trying to buy Newcastle so they won’t be buying us. No idea why it’s used as an excuse for the Glazers so regularly.
It's a way as to divide the fans. There are people pushing the Glazer agenda, as in oh they could be worse. Same thing happened after the leveraged takeover, we got people on the Caf telling us how they'd turn the club into an economic powerhouse (ended up they did to finance the loans and fill their own pockets).

Mr. Ant

What kind or argument is that? I don't want Saudis either. And there's no chance of that happening anyway.

There are other businessmen in the world other than Saudis.
I used them as an example. I don't know how much would Glazers ask but it would be a very large amount and it could end up exactly how Glazers bought the club and that is through debt which would set us back by years.

I hate the Glazers don't get me wrong and I like the protests and activity of the fans. If the Glazers don't change something there will be more protests and the whole atmosphere around the club will become even more toxic.

I just hope if they decide to sell the club it won't be to even worse owners.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I used them as an example. I don't know how much would Glazers ask but it would be a very large amount and it could end up exactly how Glazers bought the club and that is through debt which would set us back by years.

I hate the Glazers don't get me wrong and I like the protests and activity of the fans. If the Glazers don't change something there will be more protests and the whole atmosphere around the club will become even more toxic.

I just hope if they decide to sell the club it won't be to even worse owners.
Define worse?

- They have allowed Old Trafford to rot.
- They put Ed Woodward in charge of the club who had no experience whatsoever and it's been a disaster
- They saddled us with THEIR debt. £550m of it
- They have gone from manager to manager with no clear vision or plan
- They scrapped the women's team because it didn't make money only to bring it back because of the pubic backlash. Now we've just lost the coach because they wont upgrade the facilities for them.

I keep reading people say we could get worse. If we got worse than them they'd have to be the Devil in disguise. They are parasites and the sooner they go the better.

Baneofthegame

Define worse?

- They have allowed Old Trafford to rot.
- They put Ed Woodward in charge of the club who had no experience whatsoever and it's been a disaster
- They saddled us with THEIR debt. £550m of it
- They have gone from manager to manager with no clear vision or plan
- They scrapped the women's team because it didn't make money only to bring it back because of the pubic backlash. Now we've just lost the coach because they wont upgrade the facilities for them.

I keep reading people say we could get worse. If we got worse than them they'd have to be the Devil in disguise. They are parasites and the sooner they go the better.
A regime that murders people? How about that?

The Glazers are garbage, but no one has shown me a realistic buyer who would pump in their own money for nothing in return, not one.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

The Glazers are garbage, but no one has shown me a realistic buyer who would pump in their own money for nothing in return, not one.
That would never happen. We've been over this.

And yes I'd rather keep them than have MBS in charge but that would never go through anyway. This is not a reason to stay with the Glazers ffs. Why do people keep using this excuse?

clarkydaz

How can they be that scrooge like with everything surrounding the club, yet allow Woodward and Judge to burn millions on stupid contracts and wages without care?

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
More concerned about renovating Carrington than OT. Players spend a majority of their time at a training ground. You want it to be like a 5 star hotel but with football pitches. It’s a strong recruiting tool. Look at Carrington compared to Madrid’s, City or even Leicester’s new ground.
I thought Carrington was meant to be state of the art?

Roboc7

You mean the regime that is buying a different team or will be rejected as an owner. Not really a great example of why we should be happy to have the Glazers.

The Saudi’s aren’t interested in buying is people just need to let it go.

wolvored

OT with the infrastructure around it is virtually impossible to redevelop fully, which it now needs. Taking the red tints off the best option would be a new build, but where that would be and how much it would cost is 2 major headaches. The sad fact is it will probably be given a lick of paint, a mended roof and some seats will be taken out and standing will be trialled. We are heading the way of the Villa. Once an iconic stadium, but now looks an eyesore.

Nori-

I live down south and have been lucky enough to go to Old Trafford many times over the years.

The one thing that sticks with me every time I go is just how run down the local area is and how much work is needed to bring the stadium up to a modern level.

It's going to be more than just some paint and a new roof. The whole area will need regenerating.

The most likely approach if it ever happens is the same as with Madrid or Barca, a new shell around the stadium, some modern touches and a few fancy lamp posts near by. I can see us rebuilding on the same or a new location.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
That would never happen. We've been over this.

And yes I'd rather keep them than have MBS in charge but that would never go through anyway. This is not a reason to stay with the Glazers ffs. Why do people keep using this excuse?
Because the people continually moaning about the Glazers are like the underpants gnomes in that episode of South Park.
They have no realistic plan for what the missing step is!

Someone else has to run the club. Who will that be if not the Glazers?

How many people world wide can put 4billion in just to buy the thing? Let alone then pour money in at best, or not lift loads out at worst?

SER19

I think old Trafford looks nice from the outside and quite distinctive. The grounds are run down though and lack a focal point

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I live down south and have been lucky enough to go to Old Trafford many times over the years.

The one thing that sticks with me every time I go is just how run down the local area is and how much work is needed to bring the stadium up to a modern level.

It's going to be more than just some paint and a new roof. The whole area will need regenerating.

The most likely approach if it ever happens is the same as with Madrid or Barca, a new shell around the stadium, some modern touches and a few fancy lamp posts near by. I can see us rebuilding on the same or a new location.
Which bits do you mean?

I tend to go in normal times about 8-10 times a season, and I didn't give a second thought to the surrounding areas. It's the north, it's grim up north!

Fluctuation0161

Coming from an American Closed Franchise system I can tell you exactly what the Glazer's want.
1. They are hoping to get into a closed Super League or get immunity from relegation.
2. They will then force the city and citizens to pay or give tax breaks for a new stadium or massive upgrades or threaten to move the team to another city (in England or Europe)

This happens all the time in America as their is no way to get promoted to the top league. Franchises become commodities that newer cities try to lure to their town with new stadium packages.

Baltimore Colts > Indianapolis Colts (NFL)
Cleveland Browns > Baltimore Ravens (NFL)
Montreal Expos > Washington Nationals (MLB baseball)
Oakland Raiders > Los Angeles Raiders > Oakland Raiders > Las Vegas Raiders (NFL)
Vancouver Grizzlies > Memphis Grizzlies (NBA basketball)
Minnesota North Stars > Dallas Stars (NHL hockey)

These creatures (Glazer's, Kroenke's) feel entitled that it is there right that they do not have to pay for anything and that the cities and fans fund their stadiums or give then huge tax breaks on the surrounding land development. Even if they have 10 years of losing seasons, they still make tons of money and because they can't get relegated, they can hold cities and teams hostage by threatening to move if they don't get a new stadium.

Stan Kroenke moved his St. Louis Rams out of his own home state to Los Angeles because he felt he could make more money and Los Angeles was going to provide his development company with huge taxbreaks.
Good post. Probably true.

More reason to get them out by all means.