Old Trafford revamp/could be torn down and rebuilt according to Glazer plans

What’s your preference for Old Trafford?

• Rebuild

Votes: 714 48.4%
  • Renovate

Votes: 736 49.9%
  • Leave it as is

Votes: 26 1.8%

• Total voters

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
There is definitely such a thing as tradition, soul and character.

Look at Green Bay in the NFL. A team just like us steeped in history. They built their current stadium in 1967 and the fans still sit on bleachers (benches). The stadium has been expanded but much of it is just like it was over 50 years ago with slight updates. Also, they are one of the only teams that will never move to a different area of the US.

So it is understandable that people don't want to move from Old Trafford. I do go every week by the way, so I'm not speaking as someone that does not go.
United don't need to move, they could use another commonn American thing, build the new stadium in the car park and then knock the existing one down

red thru&thru

Which would people prefer IF new owners approve
New stadium. It'd be next to where the existing one is now. Whilst the new one is being built, you could still use the current one, so that would eliviate the need of playing somewhere else in the meantime.

croadyman

New stadium. It'd be next to where the existing one is now. Whilst the new one is being built, you could still use the current one, so that would eliviate the need of playing somewhere else in the meantime.
Spurs's is next door to the old one,however still had to play at Wembley for a bit

Zippycup

There's not enough ground around old trafford to build a new one and keep the current stadium open.

red thru&thru

Spurs's is next door to the old one,however still had to play at Wembley for a bit
Spurs used part of their existing stadium for the new build. That's why they needed to move to Wembley.

If you look at the planned placement of a new stadium that Ducker has shared, then you wouldn't really need to move.

Fried Chicken FC

United don't need to move, they could use another commonn American thing, build the new stadium in the car park and then knock the existing one down
My point was if its feasible modify Old Trafford itself slightly.

I was disagreeing with those that said memories are only attached to the fans and not the stadium.

Of course the building itself is iconic just like Lambeau field in Green Bay. That was my point.

Bert_

The stadium needed a lot of work before the Glazers took over. They then proceeded to do feck all for nearly 20 years in terms of upgrades. We're at the point were a new stadium would be the more cost effective option.

Maybe we could buy out some of the industrial lots slightly north of the stadium by the quays and rebuild there. Then convert old trafford and the car parks surrounding it into a training complex along with a youth/women's team stadium.

The main ground would be in a great location across the water from Salford quays right by the new tram line. And a few minutes walk from where we are now.

red thru&thru

The stadium needed a lot of work before the Glazers took over. They then proceeded to do feck all for nearly 20 years in terms of upgrades. We're at the point were a new stadium would be the more cost effective option.

Maybe we could buy out some of the industrial lots slightly north of the stadium by the quays and rebuild there. Then convert old trafford and the car parks surrounding it into a training complex along with a youth/women's team stadium.

The main ground would be in a great location across the water from Salford quays right by the new tram line. And a few minutes walk from where we are now.
There's enough space for a new build to where the stadium is now. We wouldn't need to move from the site at all.

stw2022

The proposed site during construction looks like it'll take many parking spaces out of use. Also its estern edge it's very close to the Stretford End likely meaning access around that whole area will be restricted causing more issues which could cause all kinds of safety and logistical problems on match day

Moreover there'll presumably be inadequate parking for the new stadium for a significant time until the current one is levelled.

Playing at Old Trafford whilst the new stadium is built appears feasible at first but it would delay significantly the progress of the overall project.

If you're spending £2bn you're going to want to keep costs down by not unnecessarily prolong the whole thing simply because of preference not to play on another stadium for a bit

redcucumber

Arsenal fans moaned when they left Highbury, another iconic stadium. 2016 They did a poll on one of the radio stations and the outcome was 90 odd % of fans who went to Highbury said although they were against moving it was the best thing they did. Nothing lasts forever and you either go with the changes or stagnate
At the time Arsenal were hindered by how tiny Highbury was in comparison to Old Trafford. Match day revenue impacted their ability to compete.

The risk that we end up with something that feels at odds with the club and our history for the sake of extra leg room and WiFi is terrifying. Wenger said a couple of years ago that Arsenal lost their soul when they left Highbury and moved into the Emirates. Ferdinand also said something about Arsenal losing their aura following the move.

Last edited:

LiteralDave

At the time Arsenal were hindered by how tiny Highbury was in comparison to Old Trafford. Match day revenue impacted their ability to compete.

The risk that we end up with something that feels at odds with the club and our history for the sake of extra leg room and WiFi is terrifying. Wenger said a couple of years ago that Arsenal lost their soul when they left Highbury and moved into the Emirates. Ferdinand also said something about Arsenal losing their aura.
We've already lost our aura losing SAF, there isn't much else to be lost, we might as well just have a fresh start with a new stadium.

redcucumber

We've already lost our aura losing SAF, there isn't much else to be lost, we might as well just have a fresh start with a new stadium.
We aren't knocking Old Trafford down because Woodward fecked the club up the wall for a few years FFS. Ten Hag is the first proper manager we've had and OT has a completely different feel to it already, and he's only just settling in. The designs would have to be absolutely perfect for fans to get onside with this. Surprised so many are ready to tear it all down to get better tuck shops.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
People who vote "renovate" may not realize in how bad of shape Old Trafford is. Sure, it is very historic place and it would be sad to build a new one, but realistically it will be cheaper, easier, less disruptive to build a new stadium next to it and the end result will be more modern and usable one. Also, thankfully there is space to do so. Pragmatically it is the right thing to do

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Which would people prefer IF new owners approve
Realistically you'd need to actually know what the difference in designs are and to what extent a rennovated stadium would lag behind a new stadium.

It's not just about doing it up now either but also what happens when we need to keep making changes to it in the future. Are there design issues that would constantly hinder future upgrades until you bite the bullet and build something new? Or would it be (more or less) able to keep pace with newer stadiums over the next several decades?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Lets hope if/when we get new owners they go for the new stadium option. United has the land. Its time to use it. The current stadium holds a lot of beautiful memories but its past its use by date. Given the complications with the rail line, it makes sense to move our stadium a couple 100 yards away from the tracks and start over. It'll make future renovations much easier.

Danish Wizard

Let's travel around the world for two years, while a new ground is being build. The Manchester United Globetrotters FC..

No.

I think we need a new stadium, where the architects have a good idea about making the best for fans, the best experience for VIP, for TV etc. It's possible to integrate everything into one new superb stadium. That's what a club like United should have.
In the meantime, if we have to leave Old Trafford for a year or two, we should play at Etihad in the league. Not going Wembley, Everton etc. Bolton to small.

I’m loving my life

Surely given their gross negligence of the stadium situation in the past 18 years, and the fact that they are passing over the costs they have created by said negligence, the asking price for the club by the Glazers is way too high and should be reduced? Grasping leeches are making billions on their original investment.

Dan_F

I was previously quite against a new stadium and specifically against the Glazers being the ones to oversee it. I wouldn’t trust them in the slightest to get it right.

If the overall vision for the stadium had a few key principles then it’s likely to be the best option.

1. Atmosphere and acoustics have to be key to design.
2. Cheaper season tickets available in certain areas, which are more than offset by upgraded hospitality.
3. We can take design aspects of Old Trafford and work it into the new stadium.

Sushi Kagawa

Let's travel around the world for two years, while a new ground is being build. The Manchester United Globetrotters FC..

No.

I think we need a new stadium, where the architects have a good idea about making the best for fans, the best experience for VIP, for TV etc. It's possible to integrate everything into one new superb stadium. That's what a club like United should have.
In the meantime, if we have to leave Old Trafford for a year or two, we should play at Etihad in the league. Not going Wembley, Everton etc. Bolton to small.
Etihad or new everton stadium in the league and domestic cups. Wembley for Europe.

Spoony

The People's President
I love Craven Cottage. The JH stand, Cottage and new stand look great. Character and soulless are very empty terms, though.

Varun1

If we eventually move to a new stadium, what are the drawbacks of a storeyed car park? This could allow us to continue playing at OT while the new stadium is being built, and to have a second, smaller stadium after that.
I personally don't like them, going round and round, smaller turning areas, but also probably more delays to get out of the parking lot - however maybe there are clever designs that am not aware of.

stevoc

Or build a new stadium adjacent to OT and keep OT as a Reserve/Youth stadium and museum.

Would solve the problem of where we'd play for 18 months.

Bogga

I wonder what the new stadium capacity would be initially. Anyone think it would be 100k or even more? I don't think filling the stadium would be a problem

The_Order

I wonder what the new stadium capacity would be initially. Anyone think it would be 100k or even more? I don't think filling the stadium would be a problem
It will be 100k at least.

I had no idea the land around OT was so spacious. That bodes well for a new stadium.

ShinjiNinja26

So it’s either renovate OT for £1b+ or build a brand new stadium for just under £2b. Surely you’d just go for the new build as there’s not much between them? It would work out cheaper in the long run as we’d be set for years and wouldn’t need maintenance as soon down the line.

Last edited:

red thru&thru

Looks the same size as OT, a new stadium would need a larger footprint to accommodate all that extra leg room between seats.
Agreed. But I'm sure there would be more space as this is a mock up.

But overall, we wouldn't exactly need to be in another stadium for a long time, if all things went well (there are always delays on projects).

red thru&thru

I reckon 90k would be minimum. If it was someone like Dubai, I would say over 100k for sure. They, or most ME investors, would want to make a statement of intent.

Kaos

These Wembley suggestions are a bit odd. Some of you do realise London and Manchester are some 200 miles apart? :lol: