Old Trafford revamp/could be torn down and rebuilt according to Glazer plans

What’s your preference for Old Trafford?

• Rebuild

Votes: 714 48.4%
  • Renovate

Votes: 736 49.9%
  • Leave it as is

Votes: 26 1.8%

• Total voters

sparx99

Honestly, I think we would fill 100,000 pretty easily for the vast majority of games.

I very rarely go to OT anymore but would go pretty regularly if I could just go online and buy a ticket for the odd game.
This is definitely the case. With the whole way the ticketing system works, it has relied on having the money in the summer to buy tickets ahead for the whole season. If you want to spontaneously go it's very difficult or there is a game with less demand.

Also, people with families who can't commit to season tickets or whatever find it very tricky to get 3-4 tickets for the one game a year they could go to.

Ottawa MLS Fan

Not really. If they take a stand down and rebuild it they said the team would just play with a reduced capacity of 50k for a season. That's what they want, more space for boxes and an increased attendance. The rest of the revamp would be cosmetic.

I work in the trades in the States and the Cubs redid Wrigley Field in about 6 months. Granted those last 2 months were pretty dicey and there were still a lot of things to be done behind the scenes but that work can get done quickly.
A reduced capacity of 50k for a season isn’t too bad, but there are four stands to do over 4-8 years and only one of them is likely to bring any significant increase in capacity. Tickets are going to be in really short supply for a decade.

romufc

This is definitely the case. With the whole way the ticketing system works, it has relied on having the money in the summer to buy tickets ahead for the whole season. If you want to spontaneously go it's very difficult or there is a game with less demand.

Also, people with families who can't commit to season tickets or whatever find it very tricky to get 3-4 tickets for the one game a year they could go to.
I also read today that there is a waiting list of 150,00 for season tickets, so there is clearly a massive demand for Manutd tickets.

Hughes35

Yep exactly. I do things on a lot of Saturdays / Sundays. I usually have time to watch the game on TV, but not often time to travel....... It would be amazing to be able to more easily get tickets to games when I do have the time to get to Old Trafford.

Herman Toothrot

Actually, 6 years seems quick based on the timescales of other major builds, but that may just be build time (ie not including the planning/tendering phase).

From announcement to opening - Wembley Stadium (9 years), Tottenham Hotspur Stadium (11 years), Emirates Stadium (9 years). Everton's new stadium was announced in January 2017 and is due to open in August 2024.

If new owners decided to go down the brand new stadium route, I'd be surprised if United were playing in it much before 2030.
Just so we have an understanding of how things are done in Manchester, The Factory was announced in 2014 with an estimated cost of £110m and was due to open in 2019. It will finally open this summer at a cost of £211m.

Revaulx

Warning: anyone claiming to be ITK, or even just speculating, about plans for Old Trafford that extend beyond the current footprint can be safely ignored if they fail to mention the cost of relocating the Freightliner Terminal.

I’ve yet to see any of the self-proclaimed experts even mention its existence.

Green Arrow

Good to hear - but why so long? The UK is so slow and crap at this kind of project.
Whoever takes over I don't think anything will happen in year 1, year 2 will be about getting planning permission, year 3 might be getting the work started, year 4 the surrounding area will need to be upgraded (Roads etc) and then year 5/6 getting it all completed.

Hal9000

Good to hear - but why so long? The UK is so slow and crap at this kind of project.
Really depends on what they have planned, but Spurs, Wembley and London Stadium all took 3/4 years to build. I'm guessing planning and getting permission, the removal of buildings and infastructure on the land we're building on would also be added into that time (which also includes removal of existing tenants)

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Whoever takes over I don't think anything will happen in year 1, year 2 will be about getting planning permission, year 3 might be getting the work started, year 4 the surrounding area will need to be upgraded (Roads etc) and then year 5/6 getting it all completed.
Really depends on what they have planned, but Spurs, Wembley and London Stadium all took 3/4 years to build. I'm guessing planning and getting permission, the removal of buildings and infastructure on the land we're building on would also be added into that time (which also includes removal of existing tenants)
This is what I mean. Unnecessary bureaucracy absolutely slowing things down.
I used to work opening new businesses for a franchise, and once we needed a new gas meter fitted as the one installed was domestic and unsuitable. The work necessitated the road being coned off and temporary traffic lights installed to replace a crossing outside the premises. To do this we needed separate agencies to shut off the traffic lights, erect temporary 2-way lights, cone the road and erected signage, and then a fitter to turn off the gas and another to install the meter. That’s 5 groups to coordinate to do one job which in the end took a hour or two. An that’s after getting all the necessary permissions and permits.
We really have a backwards approach to these things, especially when you’d expect a boost to the local economy and gentrification of the area as a result of this work. It’s crazy.

Green Arrow

This is what I mean. Unnecessary bureaucracy absolutely slowing things down.
I used to work opening new businesses for a franchise, and once we needed a new gas meter fitted as the one installed was domestic and unsuitable. The work necessitated the road being coned off and temporary traffic lights installed to replace a crossing outside the premises. To do this we needed separate agencies to shut off the traffic lights, erect temporary 2-way lights, cone the road and erected signage, and then a fitter to turn off the gas and another to install the meter. That’s 5 groups to coordinate to do one job which in the end took a hour or two. An that’s after getting all the necessary permissions and permits.
We really have a backwards approach to these things, especially when you’d expect a boost to the local economy and gentrification of the area as a result of this work. It’s crazy.
Didn't realise that there was so much unnecessary bureaucracy to get a new meter fitted. However I suppose the rules are there for keeping people in check and from cutting corners so doing that kind of work (Stadium building/renovation) you have no choice but to go down the unnecessary bureaucracy route, too many agencies will need to be consulted and will take time to get through it.

Spoony

The People's President
Apparently the three ideas floated are - rotating the pitch, a new stadium a few yards away and the one I like...adding a third tier on to the Stretford End and K Stand whilst knocking down the South.

Spoony

The People's President
I'm not sure how they could afford the capacity to go down to 52K for the best part of a decade, though. Only the Qataris....sorry Jassim could afford that. @Brophs.

goalscholes

United withdrew Old Trafford as a possible host for Euro 2028 because of the question mark over the timing of redevelopment once a takeover is complete. As things stand, City's stadium was favoured because it's more modern, even though much smaller.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/etihad-stadium-favoured-over-old-trafford-for-euro-2028-fgxhjs5tx
We all know it’s too embarrassing and decrepit to allow fans from over the world to associate it with the country.

OT is currently a giant metaphor for Brexit Britain. The stadium for the biggest club in the UK is falling apart at the seams and is rat infested but seen as some sort of bastion of pride due to nostalgia.

pascell

We all know it’s too embarrassing and decrepit to allow fans from over the world to associate it with the country.

OT is currently a giant metaphor for Brexit Britain. The stadium for the biggest club in the UK is falling apart at the seams and is rat infested but seen as some sort of bastion of pride due to nostalgia.
None of this happened.

redcucumber

Can't tell if this is satire. If it is, nice one! If not, get fecked!

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions

Nah man, this ain't it.

RedDevilQuebecois

Dafuq are you talking about?

If any major European competition was going to take place in Spain while the Bernabeu is in the currently massive construction work, they would have it. The FA is using poor excuses to force people to pay more money per ticket.

JB7

Weird bump, hardly news that Highbury was converted into flats.

cheekybackheel

Like a lot of supporters I couldn't get to every home game because of commitments elsewhere, so would love to be able to pick the odd games throughout a season to take my boy too. But it's virtually impossible, tickets are so hard to get.
If Utd built a new stadium and/or redeveloped Old Trafford to 100k, I would snap tickets up on a more regular basis.

Kills me that I still haven't been able to take my lad to Old Trafford yet to watch Utd (we've seen them away at places like Spurs)

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Taking away some of that parking isn't ideal either, unless multi-storey parking is replacing it and then you've only really got N4, on the other side of that annoying dual carriageway, which is big enough for that. But that poses two issues;

1) don't folk use the N4 land for cargo storage from time to time?
2) you'd have to go East when you leave, and that's already a fecking nightmare at the junction let alone with even more cars. Didn't really appreciate how shit it was until recently as haven't had to park there before and can usually turn West.

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
So the new stadium would be the exact size the current one is and the smaller one is less than the size of the pitch? Great plan.
Same footprint does not mean same size tbf.

hp88

Seeing Old Trafford under the sun the last few games and you remember how special this place is. It's beaten up not to point where you need to tear it down, I think if you start the refurb from the inside with the concourse and work your way to the exterior they can probably do it within a couple years.

Lord Zlatan

Did the stadium tour yesterday {again}. Yes it’s old but it’s magnificent at the same time. The sense of history is everywhere you look. My view is that it should be refurbed and maybe south stand rebuilt/extended. I hear some complain about modern facilities such as Wi-Fi but why would you care about that? It’s great to get away from all that and soak up the atmosphere for a few hours. The decay of Old Trafford is overblown imo. It’s a proper football stadium

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Did the stadium tour yesterday {again}. Yes it’s old but it’s magnificent at the same time. The sense of history is everywhere you look. My view is that it should be refurbed and maybe south stand rebuilt/extended. I hear some complain about modern facilities such as Wi-Fi but why would you care about that? It’s great to get away from all that and soak up the atmosphere for a few hours. The decay of Old Trafford is overblown imo. It’s a proper football stadium
I think it’s safe to say the majority of people who criticise it haven’t been or don’t go regularly.