Ole - Glazer Puppet or Not

StrettyEnder07

Have you seen the state of social media? Fecking dregs on there mate, their opinion doesn't count.
Haha honestly mate I had some "united fans" going into meltdown yesterday, most toxic place ever, the difference between opinions on here and on there is like chalk and cheese honest to god

StrettyEnder07

I'm by no means anti-Glazer the way a lot of folks on here are but I agree there have been major problems with the footballing infrastructure of the club for years and I believe Ole was appointed because he'd be far less vocal about how bad things really are and far less aggressive about fixing things compared to other more established managers, at least publicly speaking.

Whether you agree with Jose's methods or not, history will show that he was largely correct with the vast majority of his critiques and Ed clearly wasn't happy about having his dirty laundry aired out in the public. Whether this makes Ole a yes man or simply a more passive and patient manager depends entirely on the narrative you're trying to push.
Yeah totally agree, Jose was hardcore pushing back and letting the media know his feelings whereas Ole is maybe a bit more passive/laid back in this respect and deals with what he has influence over, well put mate.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Say what you want to say, think whatever you want to.

As if anything people wrote makes any differences.

If you're ole fans then the board is the villain. If you're poch fans the board is the villain. If you're jose fans the board is the villain.

Honestly, does any of this necessary? It'll be another rendition of leeches we'll never win anything under them

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Some seem to forget that Ole is just an employee and that the board are basically his boss. Now if he had a world class reputation as a manager then he might have been able to influence the board in one way or another. However Ole doesn't have that CV. Not to forget that the board gave a nobody (managerial wise) the chance of a lifetime at a time when his career wasn't exactly at its heights. That same nobody can't really challenge the board's decision making, else they might wonder if their decision to appoint such inexperienced manager in the first place was wrong as well.

Initially I wasn't against Ole's appointment as permanent manager. I believed that having such inexperienced manager on board would be a great opportunity for the club to restructure itself by bringing in a football CEO, a DOF and a technical director. Such appointment might hurt the ego of a top manager like Mourinho or Sir Alex who are used to work solo and might see any added support as an insult to their abilities. However someone as inexperienced as Ole is might see such added support as an opportunity to focus and grow in his role. Unfortunately it wasn't the case. The board is still pretty much the same and that translated in yet another underwhelming summer transfer window. Honestly in 30 years + of following United I've never seen a weaker squad as this one.

opopop

The people on Twitter are the ones who pick United on Football Manager but edit it to give themselves 5 billion in transfer funds and then comment to the media long rants about the Glazers and Woodward.

You know, people with "passion"

Cloud7

I do wonder if these people exist in the real world. There are exactly zero jobs in the world where you can publicly go against your bosses, criticize them or the way they operate. No matter where you are, you respect your bosses. Obvious dickheads like Jose and Conte are the exception.

Its not being a yes man, it’s just having the expected level of respect towards the people who employed you, and who can get rid of you.

Tarrou

I mean he has two choices here

1 Burn it all down (like Jose did)
2 Don't burn it all down

The fact he's choosing the second does not mean he's a Glazer puppet really, does it?

I'd like to know what the people calling him a puppet expect him to do.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Mourinho might not have been a puppet, but there was nothing classy about throwing a tantrum like he did despite getting to spend around 400 million. Ole is not going to critize his employers. Even Fergie didn't and he was the top dog in the manager world.

AJ10

I do wonder if these people exist in the real world. There are exactly zero jobs in the world where you can publicly go against your bosses, criticize them or the way they operate. No matter where you are, you respect your bosses. Obvious dickheads like Jose and Conte are the exception.

Its not being a yes man, it’s just having the expected level of respect towards the people who employed you, and who can get rid of you.
I bet all the people who say he's a puppet behave just like him at their jobs. Bunch of Bullshitters.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Let's be real for a second. What do you expect ole do?

150m isnt enough, I'm not happy with the budget?
Hire a dof so he can reign over me?
I'm not happy with carrick, sack him and hire someone else?
Mr.boss i dont like you, you need to stop taking dividents?
I can't work with this structure?

Honestly, what sort of lines he needs to say for you to believe he's not a puppet?

He was given a fine budget for a manager with his stature. He was given a reasonable target for a manager with his situation. He was given the team and full authority over who plays who's sold who's bought. What else could he possibly asked for? More money? More player?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Mourinho might not have been a puppet, but there was nothing classy about throwing a tantrum like he did despite getting to spend around 400 million. Ole is not going to critize his employers. Even Fergie didn't and he was the top dog in the manager world.

Addressing the changing face of football club ownership in England and the pressures it has brought, Mourinho said: “The most important quality for a manager in this multifunctional job is to know how to deal with pressure, meaning in the current environment where football is a passion for normal people, but for others, it is an industry.”

He told France Football : “Even in this country (England), which is home to tradition and stability, everything is in the process of becoming screwed up. The clubs are owned by foreign investors, no longer by traditional English people with the policies that came with that.

“Last season, I was sacked by Chelsea six months after becoming champion. The same of Ranieri this season with Leicester. This job is becoming crazy!

“For Ranieri, I think it was the success which was impossible to duplicate. He did something that he could not repeat. And people in the club were not loyal enough to understand that.

“It seemed obvious that, this season, they were going to find themselves in this situation. They did not understand that. They sacrificed their magician.
“To be honest, I do not consider the success that Leicester had as normal.”

But the Florida-based United owners are a different breed according to Mourinho.

In my case, at Manchester United, it is different. I am lucky to have stable, intelligent owners who understand the English mentality in terms of the project and patience,” he added.

“The problem, is that modern society is toppling this stability. I lost matches at the beginning of the season, or sometimes I did not win them. I felt the confidence of my board. They said to me: “You have time, work. We believe in you.” Outside, it was different
He praised owners in his first season. There is nothing wrong with that, in the end managers and other employees work for the club. For some reason people think it's common to criticize your bosses in public/media.

Patience

He is the OPPOSITE of a Glazer puppet.

Where the hell are people getting these bizarre notions from?

Ole Gunnar's reign is all about the long-term... he is going to cost the club value-wise over the next couple of years. He is going to take time winning us titles and getting us back to the top. He is going to rid the dressing-room of the high-profile stars that help with shirt sale revenue. What the Glazers and Woodward initially wanted post-Fergie was top named managers bringing in top-name players so that our revenues could rise...

Appointing Ole is the total opposite of that. And is much more an influence of the old-Guard (Charlton and Ferguson) than the option of the new guard (Glazers and Woodward).

Of course, Woodward and Glazers have optioned for Ole - because they realised their quick-fix; hire LvG/Mourinho and buy Pogba/Schewinsteiger/Ibra/Sanchez/Mata/Di Maria/Falcao etc will not work.

They have realised that for the team to do better they must take a long-term approach.. they must try to let the club replicate how Busby did it and how Ferguson did it. This will devalue the club over the next three years - but in the long-term should work out. It is the ONLy way back to the top in my opinion; longterm planning. Quite how the club finally admitting that we need long-term planning and not quick fixes falls under the category of 'Glazer puppet' is just plain stupid.

That's a conspiracy theory borne out of not knowing what the hell you are talking about.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Hi Guys,

Just a quick one, I got slaughtered on Twitter earlier today for saying I want Ole to be given time and a few windows to get his squad together.

I got absolutely hammered by quite a few United fans who are hardcore anti-Glazer (which is fine as I am as well) but the anger at Ole and the fact they see him as the poster boy for Woodward/Glazers, I was stunned at the hatred towards him.

Just curious to see what fans think on here, do you see Ole as a Glazer poster boy and if you back Ole (as I do), so many fans see you as pro Glazer, which is not the case, for me anyway.

Let me know your thoughts just interested to see what people think.
The same people said that SAF was a glazer puppet too. Just ignore them. The internet is a strange place...

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Hi Guys,

Just a quick one, I got slaughtered on Twitter earlier today for saying I want Ole to be given time and a few windows to get his squad together.

I got absolutely hammered by quite a few United fans who are hardcore anti-Glazer (which is fine as I am as well) but the anger at Ole and the fact they see him as the poster boy for Woodward/Glazers, I was stunned at the hatred towards him.

Just curious to see what fans think on here, do you see Ole as a Glazer poster boy and if you back Ole (as I do), so many fans see you as pro Glazer, which is not the case, for me anyway.

If anyone thinks that a literal employee of the club is somehow going to be ANTI GLAZERS HURRDURR, then they are out of their absolute fkn minds. Being Anti Glazer is a luxury the fans can afford.

What exactly do they think is going to happen to a club manager who constantly speaks out against the lack of transfers? OH yeah thats right, he's going to get FIRED. The last person that spent most of his tenure complaining about transfers is currently a football expert at Sky Sports, having left the club while creating a astonishingly toxic atmosphere.

And fans want OGS to do the same?

I completely get that not every person on this earth understands the finer point of working in management, or being someones boss, but OGS as a club employee has a responsibility to his employer and most importantly his players to work with what he has. It's up to the fans to dress in green and yellow and howl at the moon (while unironically buying season or matchday tickets).

It's such an impossibly facepalming clownshow to expect the manager to speak out against the owners and Woodward, while simultaneously expecting him to win every game, develop the youngsters, win titles and field the perfect team with the perfect tactic evey single game.

Do you know who is an actual puppet? Ed Woodward. Ed Woodward is the one Manchester United employee who can actually bring about substantial changes in both the squad and structure, but he is the subject of the Glazer family who controls the board, and subsequently controls Ed Woodward.

Seriously, no, VERY SERIOUSLY take a long hard look at yourself in the mirror, and transport yourself back to reality from whatever planet you might currently imagine yourself at, if you genuinely believe that a Manchester United manager should talk smack about the club owners and directors. OGS being positive about the transfer window, his current squad, and everything surrounding the club in public is ONLY a positive thing. It shows unity. Unity is strength. For all we, you and I, and everyone else knows, he is extremely unhappy about the current squad and wants new players in pronto. But fact of the matter is that no one besides the people involved knows jack sh*t about what's going on.

The only thing OGS moaning in public about transfers and Ed Woodward is going to bring about is you somehow feeling justified about your daily complaint train tantrum about how everyone is a moron and everything is wrong, and OMG PLAY THE KIDS, But complain thousandfold when we don't beat Asatana 10-0, while playing the kids. I swear to god so many people who actively moan and whine only look at the score sheet, unzips pants and flexes their face while writing a angry post about how no one has a club. I watched the game last night, it was a play-wise slaughter, we should have won by 4 or 5, but the players on the pitch failed to capitalize on easy scoring chances, primarily Rashford and Dalot who both missed essentially open nets.

And what even is a Glazer puppet? Someone who doesn't hate them? Yeah ok, pretty low threshold then. This manager has signed 3 players this window. 3 players who have frankly been our best players this season. I'm still not seeing a lot of praise for the STELLAR recruitment this manager has made in his ONE transfer window.

Withnail

Fergie said the Glazers were 'excellent'. Was he a yes man too?

If anyone of us publicly slagged off the CEO or Board in their own job there'd be no point coming into work the next day.

The difference between Ole and Jose is that Ole wants to keep his job so he is going to act professionally and isn't going to rock the boat. The fact that Jose never moved out of the Lowry shows how much long-term commitment he had. He only cares about himself and his own ego so he'll throw his toys out of the pram at every given opportunity.

Honestly, this constant attempt to find fault with absolutely everything and create false narratives as to what is going inside the players/managers heads is wearing:

Man acts professional towards his bosses: Sack him he's a puppet!
Young striker is inconsistent: He's believing his own hype. Loan him out to the Championship!
Kids are given a senior start in the Europa: Ah they'll never be good enough. See I told you all Ole couldn't manage his way out of a paper bag!

It feels like a lot of people have become invested in Ole failing and can't wait for him to be sacked so they can say I told you so.

TRUERED89

It's funny that a manager who used to play with Roy Keane, Cristiano Ronaldo, Nemanja Vidic, Rio Ferdinand, Ruud van Nistelrooy, David Beckham, Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, Gary Neville etc - is considered soft.

He played with ROY KEANE for Christs sake...hundreds of times. He trained with Roy Keane - thousands of times. Soft ? How long would a player last at United in the late 90s if he was soft ? A week ? 2 weeks ? :)
He certainly wouldn't have lasted 11 years with 126 goals that's for sure!

Bondi77

I think he loves the club and this is his dream job and he will try his best with what he is given and will not cause any waves within the club.

TRUERED89

Ignore any multitude of comments you receive on Twitter. I'd be pretty confident in saying that 99% of hatred towards you would have been by uneducated (in a football sense) individuals or trolls.

Ole isn't a Glazer puppet, he's simply doing what's right for the club. His choices with recruitment over the summer have proven to be very good so far even if it is still early days. He hasn't spoken negatively about the Glazers and I don't think he ever will. That's not because he's a puppet, but down to the fact he knows it can spread a toxic atmosphere throughout the club, top to bottom.
SAF was exactly the same, he worked under the Glazers for 8 years and never had a negative word to say! The famous quote also about "go support Chelsea" if you don't like them (I'm anti Glazer btw).. So was SAF a Glazer puppet too?

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!

They exist on here.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I understand Ole is happy with the board and on good terms with everyone.

StrettyEnder07

If anyone thinks that a literal employee of the club is somehow going to be ANTI GLAZERS HURRDURR, then they are out of their absolute fkn minds. Being Anti Glazer is a luxury the fans can afford.

What exactly do they think is going to happen to a club manager who constantly speaks out against the lack of transfers? OH yeah thats right, he's going to get FIRED. The last person that spent most of his tenure complaining about transfers is currently a football expert at Sky Sports, having left the club while creating a astonishingly toxic atmosphere.

And fans want OGS to do the same?

I completely get that not every person on this earth understands the finer point of working in management, or being someones boss, but OGS as a club employee has a responsibility to his employer and most importantly his players to work with what he has. It's up to the fans to dress in green and yellow and howl at the moon (while unironically buying season or matchday tickets).

It's such an impossibly facepalming clownshow to expect the manager to speak out against the owners and Woodward, while simultaneously expecting him to win every game, develop the youngsters, win titles and field the perfect team with the perfect tactic evey single game.

Do you know who is an actual puppet? Ed Woodward. Ed Woodward is the one Manchester United employee who can actually bring about substantial changes in both the squad and structure, but he is the subject of the Glazer family who controls the board, and subsequently controls Ed Woodward.

Seriously, no, VERY SERIOUSLY take a long hard look at yourself in the mirror, and transport yourself back to reality from whatever planet you might currently imagine yourself at, if you genuinely believe that a Manchester United manager should talk smack about the club owners and directors. OGS being positive about the transfer window, his current squad, and everything surrounding the club in public is ONLY a positive thing. It shows unity. Unity is strength. For all we, you and I, and everyone else knows, he is extremely unhappy about the current squad and wants new players in pronto. But fact of the matter is that no one besides the people involved knows jack sh*t about what's going on.

The only thing OGS moaning in public about transfers and Ed Woodward is going to bring about is you somehow feeling justified about your daily complaint train tantrum about how everyone is a moron and everything is wrong, and OMG PLAY THE KIDS, But complain thousandfold when we don't beat Asatana 10-0, while playing the kids. I swear to god so many people who actively moan and whine only look at the score sheet, unzips pants and flexes their face while writing a angry post about how no one has a club. I watched the game last night, it was a play-wise slaughter, we should have won by 4 or 5, but the players on the pitch failed to capitalize on easy scoring chances, primarily Rashford and Dalot who both missed essentially open nets.

And what even is a Glazer puppet? Someone who doesn't hate them? Yeah ok, pretty low threshold then. This manager has signed 3 players this window. 3 players who have frankly been our best players this season. I'm still not seeing a lot of praise for the STELLAR recruitment this manager has made in his ONE transfer window.
Haha mate my thoughts and arguments to an absolute tee!!!

StrettyEnder07

Threads like these are a true embarrassment to our fanbase, in my opinion.
The thread was see what peoples opinions are about Ole and if they think he is a poster boy of the Glazers or not, if you don't like the threat, hmmmm how about don't read/comment on it?

Now there's a thought

DoomSlayer

The thread was see what peoples opinions are about Ole and if they think he is a poster boy of the Glazers or not, if you don't like the threat, hmmmm how about don't read/comment on it?

Now there's a thought
I'm not saying it's your fault as the creator of the thread, the embarrassment comes from the fact that a debate on this topic even exists. A sad state of affairs that doesn't bode well for the general level of intelligence among our fans.

Bestietom

Hi Guys,

No matter who the manager is they would struggle with this squad and the fact that the Glazers and Woody won't put the monies wanted, into transfers. 64 million net spent this summer. Ole is not a yes man, but because they have not backed him. someone has to take the blame and it won't be Woody.

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
He’s not a puppet in the sense they said, “hey ole we want to come in 6th and not win the Europa league”

It’s just what the fans care about; winning, isn’t what the glazers care about.

They’ll invest as long as it’s seen a a chance to get a higher return. But to get back to the top and challenge in Europe they just won’t do it cause there is no benifit for the bottom line which is all they care about.

Ole will do his best with the kids and is trying his hardest I’m sure, but when city and pool and most of the top 6 is already better than you and we bring in James and slabhead that’s not closing a 30 point gap.

StrettyEnder07

I'm not saying it's your fault as the creator of the thread, the embarrassment comes from the fact that a debate on this topic even exists. A sad state of affairs that doesn't bode well for the general level of intelligence among our fans.
Ah right ok haha in that case I agree ha the fan base seems to be totally split down the middle, as I say it surprised me and as everyone has said, take twitter with a pinch of salt so thought would see what fans on here were saying as it seems to be 50/50 on twitter and the hatred towards Ole, I couldn't believe, although half of them were young fans who probably have no idea he actually played for us haha

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
'Puppet' is harsh...

However, it should be crystal clear to anyone who watched the Summer business that he's a 'yes man' - why else would they have employed him FFS?

I don't begrudge him that at all though, he's a manager that couldn't get work in the Championship and has been given the fecking Man Utd job! Of course he's going to cow-tow to his employers more than a manager who's earned their right to be there!

This doesn't mean that he doesn't want to win, and it also doesn't mean that he won't be good enough...

I personally don't think he is anywhere near good enough a coach for such a job, but that has nothing to do with him being a 'yes man', and also I could very well be wrong.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Nobody would really have a clue what they are talking about on this topic so best to ignore them, as their views are likely just emotionally charged, with a bottom line of how well or not we are doing as a team. When fans are dissatisfied with the football and the results, all of these kinds of theories arise.

jackal&hyde

I wouldn't base anything on the opinions of people on Twitter, especially about football. They're the apex of angry idiocy. For what it's worth, you were right anyway.
This. Twitter and the comment section on Instagram contain the worst football fans i've seen. From vitriolic hate to racism, it is best avoided.

fezzerUTD

I don't know and am starting not to care and just hoping he does well and builds a great side if he can. But Thursday he looked bored out of his skull, everything was so flat even from the side lines.

lysglimt

Scout
I have a decent job - not great, but fair enough. We are run by american owners - and in typical american style, they expect us to spend our days doing all kinds of reports rather than working.

I don't agree with it, but they still own the company.

That leaves me with ... say 4 choices
a) I quit in protest and try to find a new job
b) I suck it up and accept it without complaining
c) I give constructive criticism through the proper channels and try to change what I don't like
d) I send emails right to the top complaining about how they do their job. This was not what I signed up for.

Any person picking option 4 (like some People think OGS should) are completely deranged imo. It won't work and it will get you fired. So why in heavens name would any sane person do it, unless they don't mind quitting the job ?

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I have a decent job - not great, but fair enough. We are run by american owners - and in typical american style, they expect us to spend our days doing all kinds of reports rather than working.

c) I give constructive criticism through the proper channels and try to change what I don't like
d) I send emails right to the top complaining about how they do their job. This was not what I signed up for.

Any person picking option 4 (like some People think OGS should) are completely deranged imo. It won't work and it will get you fired. So why in heavens name would any sane person do it, unless they don't mind quitting the job ?
There is also a chance Ole isn't unhappy with the board.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He's not a puppet, but he does work for them. He can potentially give them his opinion on things, assuming he has the opportunity to. Whether he gives his full unfiltered opinion on things is a different matter, as most people wouldn't want to upset someone they're working for, especially so soon, so it'll likely be a less intense version than is perhaps needed, or realistically possible.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football

Not sure what American bosses you work for, but I've largely experienced the opposite.

GlasgowCeltic

If I inexplicably went from McDonald’s crew member to Apple CEO I wouldn’t rock the boat either