Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainoldo

Harsh would have been Ole ranting on him. Lingard was awful for long and it is not a surprise lingard was slowly dropped.
Lingard was dropped because he’s not that good and he’s not better than Bruno. Saying he was awful etc when was he ever really good? Tell me.

AshRK

Lingard was dropped because he’s not that good and he’s not better than Bruno. Saying he was awful etc when was he ever really good? Tell me.
He was never good bar his purple patch in 17-18 season. I still believe had he stayed grounded and worked hard he would have been a solid squad player even today. His attitude after the 17-18 season where he was acting like he has achieved all was frustrating. Not a surprise how in last year or so he has become quite.

Mainoldo

He was never good bar his purple patch in 17-18 season. I still believe had he stayed grounded and worked hard he would have been a solid squad player even today. His attitude after the 17-18 season where he was acting like he has achieved all was frustrating. Not a surprise how in last year or so he has become quite.
I think it’s easy to always think bad decisions and a ‘curvy’ lifestyle means you will fail. Unfortunately he’s not that talented for a United level first team player. He is however a very good play and I feel he would work well in a system. However asking him to be our number 10 and some type of creator will always give us the result we got. Mason Mount will go the same way all though Mount is very talented but Chelsea is too big for him to be their number 10.

He got a woman pregnant probably lost his head because of it and it’s matured him. Unfortunately it all happened when the club was having a bad time. Unfortunate but that’s it. I don’t believe it has anything to do with us weeding out the ‘toxic’ etc etc.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
We had arguments for our case, you may not agree with them but we (or at least I) try to make a point and stand for my opinions, if you don't see what I see or agree with me, that's not my problem, that's your problem. Should mods get stuck in because you don't agree? Very weird comment. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You, on the other hand, didn't bring anything to the discussion bar a laughing smiley like a child. You can do better.

I hear you, but what are you basing that around? Has he coached anyone to excel at that, what's his merit there? Or is it just because he was a good striker himself? IMO, Pep is the master there, and his work with Sterling (according to Sterling himself and all the evidence in his development) for example is a much stronger argument for Pep. I think that Rashford, with Pep, could become world-class.

Regarding Rashford in the box, Ole can just tell him, or train him, to do that? No? I think both Martial and Rashford would become world-class if they were more ruthless. They both seem to have that showboating-aura around them. Like Martial's finishing yesterday.
Aside from being the forwards coach of our most devastating forward line in this century?

Mainoldo

Aside from being the forwards coach of our most devastating forward line in this century?
Tevez, Rooney, Ronaldo? Did you say that with a straight face? What did he teach them?

Not a dig at Ole either. I would have had the same response if you told me Zidane was forwards coach for Benzema, Ronaldo and Bale.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Exactly the same point I was coming here to make. 21 of our 34 league goals this season were scored after half time. We frequently look a better side in the second half.

Now the counter argument to that is 'he should have set us up better to begin with' and that argument has some merit, but its always going to be easier to make informed adjustments at the midway point rather than before. There are more 'knowns' to work with at half time.

Stats actually show that Ole's 'in game management' is pretty strong.
Some good Ole quotes from one of the post-match interviews.

“At half-time, it was very important for us that we settled our grievances. I know the emotions were running high and the players disagreed with some of the decisions that were made out there, so it was our job to calm them down and focus on the things we can control and we did that.”

rotherham_red

Tevez, Rooney, Ronaldo? Did you say that with a straight face? What did he teach them?

Not a dig at Ole either. I would have had the same response if you told me Zidane was forwards coach for Benzema, Ronaldo and Bale.
He taught Haaland.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg

Ole coached them after he retired.. Didn't you know? He has done work on several forwards and he has a lot to teach forwards.

Ighalo: “As a striker, it’s good when a striker is coaching you. He is someone who has scored goals for a long time and has done a lot for United, so it’s good to learn from him.”

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/cristiano-ronaldo-man-united-solskjaer-174293
https://www.sportbible.com/football...bout-ole-gunnar-solskjaer-as-a-coach-20201013
https://utdreport.co.uk/2020/07/09/...fiting-from-ole-gunnar-solskjaers-management/

And of course Haaland. And others from the Academy, and from Molde.

Here is a Norwegian newspaper on Martial talking about Solskjær. Feel free to google translate but I can help you:

https://www.abcnyheter.no/nyheter/s...965/martial-vil-score-mer-laerer-av-solskjaer

- We have one of the big finishers to learn from in training now, with Ole as our manager. I've seen quite a few clips of him from the time he was still playing, and what a finisher he was. He scored some amazing goals. He has a lot of experience to share after being a top striker himself. It will help us both individually and as a team. Martial believes that 46-year-old Solskjær can still show how to do it, not just tell it.

- During training, he sometimes shows small flicks and movements that show that he still has it. The skills, the touches, the endings. We can all see what he has, he says.

- Ole also gives the tips a lot of advice on how to position ourselves on the field, and we are happy to get it. It is important to continue learning new things, new elements, that can give us more choices and make us more efficient on the field.

If Ole can not teach a forward, then who can.. Of course he tought his forwards, both in the United academy, in Molde and now in United as manager.

Handré1990

I can’t for the life of me understand why you still bother with that guy. He’s never going to give Ole any real credit, backhanded compliments is as good as it gets.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
I can’t for the life of me understand why you still bother with that guy. He’s never going to give Ole any real credit, backhanded compliments is as good as it gets.
Yeah, one have to enlighten those who need it :smirk: However, I guess it is kind of like trying to convince a Trump supporter that Biden won the election. Not easy, even with facts and evidence :lol:

Polar

Our squad and play is not perfect, but I’m happy. We are on the right track, and it’s both unfair and unrealistic to have higher expectations right now. I expect the “train” to be at full speed within December. The Ole in/out/good enough/not good enough discussion can be put on hold until then.

Time will tell. It’s to early to judge before the “house” is finished. Ole has build a better platform, set up the walls and closed some of the windows. It looks very promising. Feel a bit sorry for people who thinks the “house” should’ve been finished already. Expect them to have many disappointments in life:confused:

Let’s enjoy the progress and hope it continues.

Don’t let small bumps have to much impact on the evaluation as long as it doesn’t bring us out of course in the longer run; turns into a big bump.

I don’t mind critics against Ole, or admiration for that matter, but why do we always need to end up with concluding in/out/good enough/not good enough. These words are in my view indicating people being biased - and also give this thread unnecessary fuel.

Constructive and specific critic and support is a pleasure to read:drool:

Reactions: roonster09

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I think it’s easy to always think bad decisions and a ‘curvy’ lifestyle means you will fail. Unfortunately he’s not that talented for a United level first team player. He is however a very good play and I feel he would work well in a system. However asking him to be our number 10 and some type of creator will always give us the result we got. Mason Mount will go the same way all though Mount is very talented but Chelsea is too big for him to be their number 10.

He got a woman pregnant probably lost his head because of it and it’s matured him. Unfortunately it all happened when the club was having a bad time. Unfortunate but that’s it. I don’t believe it has anything to do with us weeding out the ‘toxic’ etc etc.
He's just not very good and him getting so many minutes for us was a clear indicator of our standards dropping. He did show a brief purple patch of form which suggested he might take the step up into a semi decent player but that immediately tailed off after a few games yet he lived off that purple patch for far, far too long. He'll be off in the Summer if not this window.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Ole didn’t ask him to be no 10 creator. Just ask to do the basic right, Lingard couldn’t even control a pass last season that triggered Ole’s reaction below:

Amarsdd

Lukaku was used lot by Ole. Lukaku was the one who said he wanted to leave while Ole wanted him to say. How many times until anyone can accept the fact it was against Ole‘s decision to let Lukaku go, it was the player.
Ole wanted Lukaku to play a rotational role instead of being the main man. That's why Lukaku wanted to leave. I think that's what Lukaku said in a podcast in the summer he left to Inter.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Ole wanted Lukaku to play a rotational role instead of being the main man. That's why Lukaku wanted to leave. I think that's what Lukaku said in a podcast in the summer he left to Inter.
I need to hear it, never heard Lukaku said such thing about rotational role. From my understanding Ole wanted Lukaku to fight for his spot which a message to everyone no one is guaranteed starting spot here. Lukaku was guaranteed starting spot under Jose that Jose played him despite of not scoring goal for 10 games in all competitions in a row.

Amarsdd

I need to hear it, never heard Lukaku said such thing about rotational role. From my understanding Ole wanted Lukaku to fight for his spot which a message to everyone no one is guaranteed starting spot here. Lukaku was guaranteed starting spot under Jose that Jose played him despite of not scoring goal for 10 games in all competitions in a row.
Yes, this was what he said. Basically, under Ole, he wasn't going to be the main man in the team.

Olecurls99

As a player himself, probably. As a manager and coaching players to excelling there... eh... Pep is probably the best attacking manager of all time.
Give me a young Messi and Barcelona, an already dominant Bayern Munich and City's ill gotten billions and even I might attain that moniker.

When he turns Crystal Palace into a great attacking team I might buy into the Pep hysteria.

Mainoldo

Ole didn’t ask him to be no 10 creator. Just ask to do the basic right, Lingard couldn’t even control a pass last season that triggered Ole’s reaction below:

They can all do the basics. We are Manchester United.. that’s not enough. It’s probably also why he failed to even do the basics. The pressure is different at this level. Bruno can hack it... Lingard can’t.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
They can all do the basics. We are Manchester United.. that’s not enough. It’s probably also why he failed to even do the basics. The pressure is different at this level. Bruno can hack it... Lingard can’t.
So Ole didn’t ask him to be some type of creator.

Martialfc

Listen Martia - you have clearly put LFC in your name aka Liverpool Football Club, so it’s obvious you’re a Liverpool fan. Why even pretend?
My name is Martial FC, you know that player that plays upfront for the team you support ? Yeah him. I’m offended that you’d even suggest that im one of those so called fans. Just because we are where we are, top of the league. Doesn’t mean that we will stay there. The standard of the league is awful in my opinion, we have been extremely lucky to be where we are. Long may it continue and I hope we carry on our form. I still don’t think Ole is brilliant tactically, I don’t get why I get slated for having an anti Ole opinion. Half of you change like the wind depending if we win a game.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
My name is Martial FC, you know that player that plays upfront for the team you support ? Yeah him. I’m offended that you’d even suggest that im one of those so called fans. Just because we are where we are, top of the league. Doesn’t mean that we will stay there. The standard of the league is awful in my opinion, we have been extremely lucky to be where we are. Long may it continue and I hope we carry on our form. I still don’t think Ole is brilliant tactically, I don’t get why I get slated for having an anti Ole opinion. Half of you change like the wind depending if we win a game.
You honestly expect me to believe that your name is Martial FC and not Martia - LFC? Pull the other one.

lysglimt

Scout
No the standard of the League is not awful - the results in Europe clearly tells another story. Liverpool, Chelsea and City have been worse than usual, while a lot of other teams have been much better (Us, Everton, Villa, Southampton and Leicester). It is a much more competitive League - but it's not awful.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Lukaku was used lot by Ole. Lukaku was the one who said he wanted to leave while Ole wanted him to say. How many times until anyone can accept the fact it was against Ole‘s decision to let Lukaku go, it was the player.
Lukaku asked Ole to leave, and Ole granted him permisison to go. Lukaku has been vocal about that in serveral interviews how much he respects him for it.

Ole has simply stated that: Anyone that doesn't want to be here are free to leave.

FatherWolff

Can’t wait for Sunday! It feels like a cup final, and we can only thank him for that

PoTMS

Big decision to start Lindelof over Bailly. Not sure about that decision but let's see if it works out.

Andersonson

Big decision to start Lindelof over Bailly. Not sure about that decision but let's see if it works out.
Lindelof has always been before Bailly in the pecking order. Bailly is a backup CB. He has had good games lately but he is still a backup. Its good having a backup that can have really good games.

NinjaFletch

Lindelof has always been before Bailly in the pecking order. Bailly is a backup CB. He has had good games lately but he is still a backup. Its good having a backup that can have really good games.
Yeah, but the issue is Lindelof is shit and Bailly has been playing well.

Anyway, it's done now. Let's hope its not a decisions that costs us.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Yeah, but the issue is Lindelof is shit and Bailly has been playing well.

Anyway, it's done now. Let's hope its not a decisions that costs us.
The issue is Lindelof is not shit at all and is a very good CB and deserves far more respect than he’s getting.

GoldTrafford99

Team line-up announced in the Match Day Thread and every single post under it is a moan or a groan.

"Why isn't Bailly playing?'

It's fecking obvious why Lindelof is playing in this game over Bailly - and anyone who doesn't understand that has zero right to moan.

Liverpool play the highest line of any team in the Premier League - and you guys are calling for Bailly to play over Lindelof.

On top of that... Bailly is utter muck when players are running at him.. he is rash and his decision-making is well below the standard required of an elite defender. And Liverpool's attackers are - along with ours - amongst the best in the world at running at defenders. Lindelof to anybody who knows this sport is the option here today. Shuddup moaning! Especially when your moans are ridiculously silly.

I mean... to be even moaning right now as a Manchester United fan - one-hour before we play Liverpool with a chance to go six points clear of them - is staggering. Just staggering.

C'monnnnnn United!

PoTMS

It's odd the decisions Ole makes sometimes. Who knows? He might end up proving everyone wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.