Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
In no way I'm I saying that your a twat just because you play FIFA or FM, I played championship manager and football manager, all was alluding to was that just because cherno samba great player on FM or CM it seems to have cross over as if they are good in really life, like watching a YouTube video makes them good. I guess it's the modern way of looking at football.

I think maybe I could have put it better, may just is this: You're all idiots and I am a god.
Ive got no problem with whatever your viewpoints are on the team, the club, ole, transfers etc etc. In fact I’m glad to hear them as thats what this place is for.

Whenever I come back here into these polarised areas of exchange though I do find it a bit irksome the posters constantly going on about how ‘toxic’ the place is, full of moaning and pessimism etc, basically because other fans got a different opinion. Or they are just FM internet idiots because they think differently. It all boils down to respecting other fans opinions and their right to their opinions, and criticising the post, not the poster. Which is the basic standard Internet forums have to work on. I really loathe that thought policey bs. Like there’s so many options if you really can’t stand posters opinions... ignore etc. No need for that sanctimonious moral high ground rubbish. Like another poster said were all just fans, none of us are football masterminds capable of out thinking the greats of the game.

bit of a rant but whether you’re pro or anti ole you’ve a right to think that and I’m interested to hear your reasons why.

el3mel

People who are still saying Ole hasn't been backed properly don't get what the word "backed" even mean. Either that or they are twisting it to prepare excuses for any future disappointment.

sp_107

We are so emotional when it comes to handling coaching staff or selling squad players.i dont think having Carrick or McKenna as assists helps a lot. I really wish Ole got someone from Europe who got a very good reputation to fill in coaching roles.

Ole himself proved not bad against quality teams so he need little bit help in coaching area while dealing many average players

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We’ve not spent £200m though

AWB - £45m
Maguire - £80m
James - £15m
Bruno - £47m
=£187m

take off what we got for Lukaku (lots of different fees about so I’ll be conservative) £58m
Darmian -£2m
Young - £1.3m
Smalling - £2m loan fee
Fellaini (almost forgot him) £6.5m
= £187m - £70m = £117m

during this time Ole has got rid of -

Fellaini
Darmian
Young
Smalling (loan)
Sanchez (loan)
Lukaku
Valencia
Rojo (loan)

So much deadwood! In fact most of the deadwood that was being talked about on this very forum.

Whilst I agree he’s been naive tactically at times, I can’t fault what he’s doing with the squad. Lowering our average age significantly, giving youth a chance and buying (imo) quite astutely and changing the types of characters we have. He’s even getting on Lingard’s back now and he has been the darling of both LVG and Mourinho before him. McTominay is a better player under him, Williams is developing rapidly, he moved Martial to his favoured position and Rashford is going to have his best season for numbers, even with a big injury!

Honestly, he’s not perfect but I think he is exactly what we need right now. Whether he can step up his tactical game to take us to the next level I don’t know but I am quietly confident that what he is doing is best for this club and he will either lead us to a brighter future or leave us with something that can be moulded in to something great.
AWB - £45m with £5m achievable add ons.

Maguire - £80m

James - £15m with £3m achievable add ons.

Bruno - £46m with £8m achievable add ons.

Total £202m

Ole getting rid of the deadwood isn't anything special on his part. Most on here would've done the same. Nagelsmann or Pochettino too for that matter.

Is he what we need right now or would a Nagelsmann do better with the money given to Ole thus far? I believe Nagelsmann would make better use of the budget and instill a much much higher level of tactical acumen/coaching among the squad which would serve us better in the long-term.

My fear is that by the time we realise he isn't upto the job, we will have lost time. It's better to bring someone in who we believe has the ability to close the gap on the likes of Liverpool and City and give him the time and patience due to his credentials. Nagelsmann would be that man imo.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yep. Does my head in how unrealistic some posters are on here. Fernandez hasn't been here five mins yet and already he needs to be the new Scholes.
He doesn't need to be the new Scholes, but their should be a minimum expectation that we can topple Chelsea.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The cost of a transfer has nothing to do with Ole. He can only ask for players in a position. Cannot have a say on the competence/incompetence of the negotiation team that we have.
When you ask for Maguire, Koulibaly, AWB, you should know they're gonna be very expensive.

ScarleyUtd

He doesn't need to be the new Scholes, but their should be a minimum expectation that we can topple Chelsea.
Players usually take time to settle in. No matter what the price tag. You're setting yourself up for disappointment if you're expecting him to transform the team NOW. But then this is the dynamic on this forum all the time these days....

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Players usually take time to settle in. No matter what the price tag. You're setting yourself up for disappointment if you're expecting him to transform the team NOW. But then this is the dynamic on this forum all the time these days....
I'm expecting Paul Pogba to return soon and in tandem with Bruno Fernandes I expect them to create alot of chances. And I don't believe Chelsea are very good and for that reason I believe we should be very optimistic of being top 4. I'll be honest, under Nagelsmann I'd be very confident.

RedNed77

No? How much is enough in 10 months? 500 million euros?
He now has a good defense and a good midfield on paper. Pogba, Fernandes, Fred, McTominay, are a very good group of players to have for most managers. I think it's fair to expect a top 4 finish with the squad we have.

I would say he has a squad now that should challenge Chelsea strongly for the top 4 spot.
I say no as he’s still mid rebuild. Think of the amount of players who have been sent packing versus the number who have come in. He needs another window and another 3/4 players. Then if it’s still not working, fine you can mount his head on a pike outside Old Trafford.

He’s still got to get rid of quite a bit of shit, Lingard included. He’s doing ok at getting the right players in and getting rid of the flotsam. Just have some patience and let him finish the job. Judge him at the end of it.

Listar

AWB - £45m with £5m achievable add ons.

Maguire - £80m

James - £15m with £3m achievable add ons.

Bruno - £46m with £8m achievable add ons.

Total £202m

Ole getting rid of the deadwood isn't anything special on his part. Most on here would've done the same. Nagelsmann or Pochettino too for that matter.

Is he what we need right now or would a Nagelsmann do better with the money given to Ole thus far? I believe Nagelsmann would make better use of the budget and instill a much much higher level of tactical acumen/coaching among the squad which would serve us better in the long-term.

My fear is that by the time we realise he isn't upto the job, we will have lost time. It's better to bring someone in who we believe has the ability to close the gap on the likes of Liverpool and City and give him the time and patience due to his credentials. Nagelsmann would be that man imo.
Don’t you need to lower the amount with the sale of lukaku?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Don’t you need to lower the amount with the sale of lukaku?
My reasoning has always been that if a different manager was given the funds that were given to Ole, that we'd see a better more balanced team right now even without Lukaku.

DBT85

He now has a good defense and a good midfield on paper. Pogba, Fernandes, Fred, McTominay, are a very good group of players to have for most managers. I think it's fair to expect a top 4 finish with the squad we have.

I would say he has a squad now that should challenge Chelsea strongly for the top 4 spot.
I have to say I only agree as far as the first 11. The squad is clearly in no shape to expect top 4. There in part has been our problem. If Pogba doesn't miss the entire season we're probably 6 points better off. If Martial isn't out for 2 months we're probably 3 points better off. If Mctominay isn't out for 6 weeks we're probably 2 points better off. It all adds up.

At the start of this season the squad was good for at the very best, 4th. At the very best.

In reality we've had bad injuries to key players with no adequate backup. Also realistically I think Pogba is out in the summer. So we're again left with Fred, Mct, Bruno and Matic, with Andreas, Lingard, Garner and Levitt as backups. If you're playing 3 in the middle in any way, that's not good enough.

If Rashford was fit right now then sure, I'd say we could have a good run at Chelsea with Bruno coming in too. Right now we just need to stay in touching distance until Rashford is back. The game against them at the bridge could be huge.

Hell, the next 2 game weeks could be huge. If Leicester and us beat Chelsea we'll be level on points but only if we also beat wolves.

If we lose to wolves and chelsea and chelsea were to beat Leicester, we would be 12 points behind Chelsea which is game over.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
My reasoning has always been that if a different manager was given the funds that were given to Ole, that we'd see a better more balanced team right now even without Lukaku.
Any different manager, or the one you want specifically? If we had a manager that was much better like Klopp or Guardiola I think you'd be right. I don't see how any manager could make us more balanced. Balanced how?

Sorry I misread. By having other transfer targets. I do agree that it is possible to spent that amount of money a lot more efficiently, but just thinking about how poor we've been in that area before Ole, I don't think you can confidently claim any manager would have targets lined up that Ed were able to sign. To make great use of that money in just 1 transfer window is unrealistic to believe with Ed in charge. It hasn't been that way since SAF and we operated differently. Which is why so many think the window was decent.

It actually was bad, because we should have done a lot more of those big changes, but the three signings we did do was actually sensible, for once. Maguire will keep his level at the least. Bissaka has already replaced Valencia as a reliable first teamer with prospects to grow, which is something we desperately needed. If we failed signing someone reliable in that position we'd be screwed. He was a probably the best option for squad balance. Then you have just a decent young talented player form the championship. It really was a bad window, but each signing sort of made sense.

Last edited:

Denis79

Any different manager, or the one you want specifically? If we had a manager that was much better like Klopp or Guardiola I think you'd be right. I don't see how any manager could make us more balanced. Balanced how?
I don't know what @Adnan thinks but I feel it was a mistake to spend on Maguire and loan out Smalling when our midfield was in dire need of strengthening, hell even our attack was in more need. I'm not saying Maguire was a bad buy just that other areas needed the transfer funds more, even with Bruno here we still need atleast 1-2 more central midfielders. I'm not sure many managers would have walked in a season happy with such a thin midfield/attack.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I don't know what @Adnan thinks but I feel it was a mistake to spend on Maguire and loan out Smalling when our midfield was in dire need of strengthening, hell even our attack was in more need. I'm not saying Maguire was a bad buy just that other areas needed the transfer funds more, even with Bruno here we still need atleast 1-2 more central midfielders. I'm not sure many managers would have walked in a season happy with such a thin midfield/attack.
I agree with that. It all comes from years now ignoring issues within the squad and a lack of effort to replace players who has indeed failed. They want to take the slow approach to avoid a similar situation, but it sucks for us fans and for Ole because he wont be given the sufficient funds immediately, he has to prove himself worthy of the job with a half ass squad. I mean, that is actually fine, if he fecks up he will rightly be off and we wont lose that much money.. It is just about the slow ass time though... and the fans have become so impatient that we unfortunately seem to blame Ole for problems that have been built up years in advance.

Denis79

I agree with that. It all comes from years now ignoring issues within the squad and a lack of effort to replace players who has indeed failed. They want to take the slow approach to avoid a similar situation, but it sucks for us fans and for Ole because he wont be given the sufficient funds immediately, he has to prove himself worthy of the job with a half ass squad. I mean, that is actually fine, if he fecks up he will rightly be off and we wont lose that much money.. It is just about the time though... now the fans are rightly so impatient that we unfortunately seem to blame Ole for problems that have been built up years in advance.
Couldn't agree more. What we see now is the product of something that has been brewing since 2009 (my opinion). Hopefully we'll achieve some balance in the squad after another window or two and with that some consistency on the field.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
So it looks like we've signed Fernandes finally, so can we know say that Ole is actually being backed? Four players in two transfer windows (three windows i suppose but i ain't counting the January one since he hadn't long taken over), £200+ million spent. The excuses of this not being his squad and him not being backed are looking weaker and weaker as time goes on.

Lets hope he can sort things out. I'm still very skeptical on that front.
Every post SAF manager was backed and every post SAF manager has been looked at with envy by pretty much every other manager in Europe. Moyes dithered, so only getting Fellaini was on him.
Funnily enough, the only manager who wasn’t backed and would have a reason to complain was the manager that was winning titles and going to CL finals after selling Ronaldo and Tevez and singing Owen, Obertan , and Valencia

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
The fact that so many have the view of us needing a good set up players to play good football is hilarious. I look forward to seeing this out and reading the excuses for next season.
Why would you look forward to reading excuses next season? If you have to do that it would mean bad things for the team. Do you want us to be successful?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
If after spending £200m we still can't topple Chelsea (minus Hazard) then I don't believe Ole is the man for the job. You do understand that £200m is a huge amount of money? Then you say add another 2 players in the summer and we will look 'pretty decent' with over a £300m spend.

The building blocks maybe need to be put in place by someone with far more experience and ability. Because if you only expect us to be 'pretty decent' after spending in excess of £300m then your expectations are very low.
You already don't believe Ole is the man for the job and you never will, so there really isn't any point in saying 'if he doesn't do this then...…..'

Mainoldo

Why would you look forward to reading excuses next season? If you have to do that it would mean bad things for the team. Do you want us to be successful?
Yes which is why I want a new manager. Otherwise why would I kick up such a fuss.

You already don't believe Ole is the man for the job and you never will..….
Be sensible here Bilbo, it's pretty much the other way around. Right now everything points to him not being the man for the job so Adnan would be better placed to argue "you'll believe Ole is the right man until he has 22 of his own players and is still outside the top 4, but even then you'll probably claim he was never fully backed or was fecked by previous managers".

There is no doubt that Ole can turn lots of fans to his side by simply winning many many more games, I'm not sure how he could lose the ones that back him to the hilt regardless? 3 season of shit? 500m spent? win-rate in the 20's?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Be sensible here Bilbo, it's pretty much the other way around. Right now everything points to him not being the man for the job so Adnan would be better placed to argue "you'll believe Ole is the right man until he has 22 of his own players".

There is no doubt that Ole can turn lots of fans to his side by simply winning many many more games, I'm not sure how he could lose the ones that back him to the hilt regardless? 3 season of shit? 500m spent? win-rate in the 20's?
That's just it though - I absolutely disagree with that

ScarleyUtd

I'm expecting Paul Pogba to return soon and in tandem with Bruno Fernandes I expect them to create alot of chances. And I don't believe Chelsea are very good and for that reason I believe we should be very optimistic of being top 4. I'll be honest, under Nagelsmann I'd be very confident.
It's good you're expecting Pogba to return in body and/or mind. I'm not. McT is also injured of course. So in midfield we are still very much short.

That's just it though - I absolutely disagree with that
But the statistics disagree with you. That's my point.

Everything else, believing in him or not believing in him is pure personal opinion tainted with either optimism or pessimism depending on which side of the fence you are one.

I'll say it again. There is no doubt that Ole can turn lots of fans to his side by simply winning many many more games, I'm not sure how he could lose the ones that back him to the hilt regardless? 3 seasons of shit? 500m spent? win-rate in the 20's?

mu4c_20le

Wow, honestly? Show me @mu4c_20le, I am seriously interested to see them. Might change my opinion on everything, or at the very least make me feel better :)
Well, we're six points off 4th. I don't need to look at statistics that date back to the end of last season, it's about what happens this season. And when I look at our squad, and recent lineups, I think it's a miracle we're not still stuck at 10th like we were earlier. There were many games where we dropped points because we failed to score, we don't usually get dominated, in fact it's the opposite, we don't take our chances or create enough despite controlling the game.

Well, we're six points off 4th. I don't need to look at statistics that date back to the end of last season, it's about what happens this season.
So in fact no statistics back up your claim that:

"Statistics seem to suggest that with better squad depth and luck with injuries, we'd comfortably be sitting in top 4 right now."

Oooooook, that was weird :lol:

Alabaster Codify7

So he now says our business is done. Looks like they've let him down in the market for a striker, as he clearly stated he wants/needs one. Gutted.

mu4c_20le

So in fact no statistics back up your claim that:

"Statistics seem to suggest that with better squad depth and luck with injuries, we'd comfortably be sitting in top 4 right now."

Oooooook, that was weird :lol:
Alright, now your turn, lets see your statistics ;)

Be sensible here Bilbo, it's pretty much the other way around. Right now everything points to him not being the man for the job
Let's see everything! @Regulus Arcturus Black

Judas

Open to offers
People seem to forget what happened to Matic the last time he was played over and over and over again. It'll happen again, the reason he's performing like he is now is because he's not been overplayed. He's not got the engine to play every game anymore.

Alabaster Codify7

People seem to forget what happened to Matic the last time he was played over and over and over again. It'll happen again, the reason he's performing like he is now is because he's not been overplayed. He's not got the engine to play every game anymore.

Yep. Spot on. We'll renew his contract and he'll get overplayed again and by March/April he'll be injured or spent. The past few games should have convinced Ole just how crucial it is to sign a full-time REPLACEMENT for Matic, more than anything.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I say no as he’s still mid rebuild. Think of the amount of players who have been sent packing versus the number who have come in. He needs another window and another 3/4 players. Then if it’s still not working, fine you can mount his head on a pike outside Old Trafford.

He’s still got to get rid of quite a bit of shit, Lingard included. He’s doing ok at getting the right players in and getting rid of the flotsam. Just have some patience and let him finish the job. Judge him at the end of it.
No, he has to prove that he's competent for a club as big as this to be given another season. If a team needs 3 years to rebuild (under the right manager) you don't give a struggling manager the full three years when it's obvious that he's not up to the mark. We don't have a divine right to keep fecking up every year without consequences. So without a shadow of a doubt Ole has to keep proving himself, and every manager has expectations he has to meet. It's just that the expectation has to be in line with the circumstances, and 4th place is.

Rafaeldagold

Problem with Ole is he’s tactically poor. Counter attaching while sitting deep is not a viable tactic for a season for a club of our statute. I remember LVG bossing Liverpool & Man City at home possession & chances wise. That will never happen with Ole no matter what players he gets as he’s not good enough.

Until he goes we’ll be going nowhere

mu4c_20le

Mine's pretty darn simple, and it's only "my turn" if you actually give me some statistics man :houllier:

Premier League 2019-2020: Played 24, won 9: win-rate 37%. (same win-rate as Burnley, won 1 more than Newcastle).

Your turn....
5th place, and six points off 4th. If we had better squad depth as I said, and signed a striker like Ben Yedder who has scored 14 in 19 in la liga so far, we could have easily turned at least two narrow defeats into wins and be setting in 4th. Newcastle and Crystal Palace come to mind.

5th place, and six points off 4th.
5th place and four points off 14th.

If we had better squad depth as I said, and signed a striker like Ben Yedder who has scored 14 in 19 in la liga so far, we could have easily turned at least two narrow defeats into wins and be setting in 4th. Newcastle and Crystal Palace come to mind.
Ahh so you're "statistics" are, if we had a better squad and better players, we'd be better. Wow, that sounds like a brilliant way to defend any poor manager. I mean, you do know that if Steve Bruce had a better squad and signed a striker like Ben Yedder who has scored 14 in 19 in la liga so far, he could be 6 points better off also and sitting in 5th ahead of us? And if Sean Dyche had a better squad and a better striker, feck me we could be in 7th behind Burnley and Newcastle. Just imagine if Sean Dyche and Stevey Bruce had been given over 150 euro to spend in the Summer :eek:

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

5th place and four points off 14th.
The point about having a better squad is that it would improve us, not make us worse.

Ahh so you're "statistics" are, if we had a better squad and better players, we'd be better. Wow, that sounds like a brilliant way to defend any poor manager. I mean, you do know that if Steve Bruce had a better squad and signed a striker like Ben Yedder who has scored 14 in 19 in la liga so far, he could be 6 points better off also and sitting in 5th ahead of us? And if Sean Dyche had a better squad and a better striker, feck me we could be in 7th behind Burnley and Newcastle. Just imagine if Sean Dyche and Stevey Bruce had been given over 150 euro to spend in the Summer :eek:
Well, I think Bruce is great, but not sure if he could've masterminded the big wins we've had against Spurs, Chelsea x2, Man City x2, etc. The idea is that, in hindsight to the injuries and some players not performing, with some better players that we were linked with, we could have more points and be in a better position right now. Then all of a sudden he wouldn't look like the worse manager in the league anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.