Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRUERED89

Great squad chemistry, great individual performances from Kante, Vardy and Mahrez and all the traditional title contenders being wank that year.

Football isn't quantum physics, but there is clearly a science to succes.
Plus the good ol' 4-4-2, Okazaki and Vardy running riot upfront together. Something we don't often see in the modern game now.

romufc

Great squad chemistry, great individual performances from Kante, Vardy and Mahrez and all the traditional title contenders being wank that year.

Football isn't quantum physics, but there is clearly a science to succes.
what is the science?

You say that as if there is traditional title contenders? Who?

Alot of teams like Wolves, SU, Burnely, Aston VIlla have good chemistry and individual peformances e.g Grealish, Lundstram so why aint they winning the league?

Toni Roncoroni

So we should give him another transfer window? And hope that the results will come at one point?
That's what a lot of people in here are dreaming about. I can't hear those things anymore. The same with he should be able to prove himself with a fully fit squad. This would be insane. Preparing the season with him and realising in October the latest what we already know by now. Ole is just not good enough and will never be.

I am just waiting for the day he is sacked and then I can maybe hope again. If he will still be around in the summer I will need to get away a little from this club as it is killing me to see for what level of perfomances and results we are happily settling ourselves.

romufc

So we should give him another transfer window? And hope that the results will come at one point?
No, I am saying comparisons don't work.

We have to look at what we are being presented with... that is nothing.

Pep, Klopp all had a style and they stuck by the style.

Ole supposedly wants to play counter attacking, fast paced football. I think apart from sitting deep and counter attacking hoping for a win against the big teams, there seems to be nothing.

He can have 40 windows but still not be good enough, he is not a manager.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Mourinho's brand of football was obviously not worse than our brand right now. At least we could fecking win games while playing ugly, rather than just losing to all and sundry and looking abysmal while we're at it.

But Fred would have had improved regardless, second season and all. McTominay was progressing fine under Mourinho anyway. Rashford was having a great season before Ole caused his injury, but he certainly hasn't improved his in-the-box number 9 game at all under Ole, which is absolutely baffling. All of his best stuff has come from cutting in on the wing as before, Ole has still totally failed to turn him into a centre forward.
You really said that with your chest didn’t you?

How can you be so sure, there was just as good of a chance as any of him turning even worse in a 2nd season.

So by that reasoning, if Fernandes turn(s)/ed sh*te - (he’s had 1 good game, its promising but he could still flop) - you’d be 100% certain he’d come good in a second season?

I dunno, I think you’re just looking for anything to discredit ole here and by being very confident to say Fred would be good in his second season is ludicrous to say, he could just as easily gone the other way

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
what is the science?

You say that as if there is traditional title contenders? Who?

Alot of teams like Wolves, SU, Burnely, Aston VIlla have good chemistry and individual peformances e.g Grealish, Lundstram so why aint they winning the league?
Yes there are traditional title contenders, it used to be Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal(depending on how far back you go)

Now it's mostly Liverpool and City.

Liverpool has a much better squad and a far greater manager than all those teams you mention. I'm confused about what point you are trying to make.

romufc

Yes there are traditional title contenders, it used to be Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal(depending on how far back you go)

Now it's mostly Liverpool and City.

Liverpool has a much better squad and a far greater manager than all those teams you mention. I'm confused about what point you are trying to make.
Well you are confused because there is no traditional contender because Arsenal havent been for years, Manutd havent for 7 years.

Liverpool have only been for 2 years.

My point is what is the science to success?

hobbers

You really said that with your chest didn’t you?

How can you be so sure, there was just as good of a chance as any of him turning even worse in a 2nd season.

So by that reasoning, if Fernandes turn(s)/ed sh*te - (he’s had 1 good game, its promising but he could still flop) - you’d be 100% certain he’d come good in a second season?

I dunno, I think you’re just looking for anything to discredit ole here and by being very confident to say Fred would be good in his second season is ludicrous to say, he could just as easily gone the other way
Err, no.

I didn't even say Fred has been good. I said he has improved on last season. Not like that was very hard :lol:. He's only looked 'good' because the players around him have been so bad.

What are the odds that improvement has been down to Ole's influence, versus it just being a case of time to settle, integrate better with the squad, get to know his team mates, the culture, the weather etc etc etc? Well we already know the answer to that: it's the latter.

Gehrman

Well you are confused because there is no traditional contender because Arsenal havent been for years, Manutd havent for 7 years.

Liverpool have only been for 2 years.

My point is what is the science to success?
It usually involves having the best managers, tactics and players.

I say traditional because it refers to recent history, no Man Utd are not title contenders anymore nor are Arsenal, but for 20 years it was more or less only Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal. Then City came along and Liverpool have been in the title race 3 times despite missing out. Of course they are going to win it this year.

romufc

It usually involves having the best managers, tactics and players.

I say traditional because it refers to recent history, no Man Utd are not title contenders anymore nor are Arsenal, but for 20 years it was more or less only Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal. Then City came along and Liverpool have been in the title race 3 times despite missing out. Of course they are going to win it this year.
So Jose was one of the best managers, signed the best players and he has shown he had the best tactics yet he didnt win the league at United? Science failed?

Pep is one of the best, best players and tactics and yet 22 points behind the leaders?

Btw, best players and tactics is not a science, it's an opinion. Science is based on facts not opinions.

Like I said, there is no perfect science to being successful.

Gehrman

So Jose was one of the best managers, signed the best players and he has shown he had the best tactics yet he didnt win the league at United? Science failed?

Pep is one of the best, best players and tactics and yet 22 points behind the leaders?

Btw, best players and tactics is not a science, it's an opinion. Science is based on facts not opinions.

Like I said, there is no perfect science to being successful.
Okay, perhaps instead of using the word science, we can say formula

and I agree there is no perfect science to being succesfull in football.

But it's not all opinions. Messi is a better footballer than Lukkaku. that's a fact. Not an opinion.

romufc

Okay, perhaps instead of using the word science, we can say formula

and I agree there is no perfect science to being succesfull in football.

But it's not all opinions. Messi is a better footballer than Lukkaku. that's a fact. Not an opinion.
Yeah, there can be a formula but as you said best players, tactics and manager.

Yes and it is a fact that the combination of KDB, Silva, Rodri is better than Gini, Henderson and Fabinho yet they dominate football game in midfield.

We dont even have good players let alone best players so we need to be patient.

Gehrman

Yeah, there can be a formula but as you said best players, tactics and manager.

Yes and it is a fact that the combination of KDB, Silva, Rodri is better than Gini, Henderson and Fabinho yet they dominate football game in midfield.

We dont even have good players let alone best players so we need to be patient.
But be patient with whom?

romufc

But be patient with whom?
The club, not the manager because I dont think Ole is here for the long run.

We cannot go spend £300m in a window, it wont happen. We have now spent over £200m on the team in the last 12 months, another £200 is needed before we get look competitive.

RUCK4444

Lies, lies, and even more lies.

Lukaku was sold to Inter on deadline day, this was a week after Dybala had rejected us. Which in turn meant Juve also refused to sell us Manduzkic as they didn't have a replacement. It's easy to blame Woodward for every shortcoming from Ole, but he is only going to buy a striker if Ole wants one. Browse through the transfer tweets thread from May until August and find me one striker who was on our agenda through those months? You'll hear about names such as Sancho, AWB, James, Maguire, Longstaff continously but absolutely no links for a new striker.

Dybala/Lukaku proposed swap just tells you how badly this club is still run, a top player was available sure but was he someone ever on our radar? Did Ole or his management ever thought about where he'd fit in, or was it another move like Mata where you'll sign the player and later find a role for him?

Then you had us inquiring for Manduzkic too? 10 days before the end of window, with no backup plan for a 2nd forward? Does that tell you this lot have any semblance of plan through which they are working?

This is what he told us after selling Lukaku and not buying a replacement i.e. to prioritise the development of Mason Greenwood.

This is what he told us after binning Sanchez on loan AFTER the window had closed, yes he'd been shit but he was still one more body who could fill in at the time of injury-crisis.

I'd be inclined to believe in Oles' propaganda if he didn't continuously contradict himself, weeks later he'd tell us we are short of strikers and it didn't take a 'rocket scientist' to recognize that. There is plethora of quotes where Ole has continously back-tracked and refuted his previous statements. I'll probably prepare a new thread at the close of season consisting of Oles' quotes contradicting himself.

Sure :lol:
OK so half of those quotes aren't even mine, so I don't know what point your even trying to make.

In response to the quotes that were mine, regarding Lukaku. Inter were offering TOP money for a complete Donkey, almost everybody on here wanted rid of him. Has it not entered your mind that the board realised that we were not going to be offered that sort of money from any other team? Especially 1 year down the road after another awful season and him being a bench option for the majority? Transfers work both ways, every club has to consider a big bid for a player that was no longer in our long term plans. Again I find it far more likely that Ed told Ole that we wouldn't get this sort of money again for him and it was the best option to sell at that time with Conte desperate for him.

Regarding your belief that I blindly follow Ole, you can think what you want bud, just because I'm not so inclined to jump on the latest bandwagon for the armchair pundits here.

Do I think Ole is definitely the man for the job long term? Not likely. Do I like his recruitment and what he has tried to implement on the pitch? Yes. Ultimately I just don't get a hard on for another manager swap for somebody like Poch who I don't believe would have done much better this season with this squad and with the injuries.

Gehrman

The club, not the manager because I dont think Ole is here for the long run.

We cannot go spend £300m in a window, it wont happen. We have now spent over £200m on the team in the last 12 months, another £200 is needed before we get look competitive.
Well the club mainly consists of the owners, the board, managers, coaches and players. I think we agree that Ole isn't going for the long run unless he turns it around this year.

romufc

Well the club mainly consists of the owners, the board, managers, coaches and players. I think we agree that Ole isn't going for the long run unless he turns it around this year.
I think we will get worse rather than better under Ole.

L1nk

We're gonna stick with him and watch better managers go elsewhere, can just see it coming off

Tony247

Another good midfielder ( if pogba leaves then two) and our midifield is set for next season.

A back up striker is must.

A RW can be a nice addition.

AshRK

We're gonna stick with him and watch better managers go elsewhere, can just see it coming off
Why can't someone tell ED to just shut up. The guy's way of working is just hope things fall into place and that is why I have zero faith in this board irrespective of who our manager is. They will take one step forward and two steps back.

James Ward

Another good midfielder ( if pogba leaves then two) and our midifield is set for next season.

A backup striker? Are you been serious here? Martial is not a striker. Need a proper striker like Werner. Martial should be backup for Rashford on the left.

Also a world class right winger is needed as James is not simply good enough.

Pogba, Bruno and a good DM is needed with Scott and Fred as backup if Pogba stays. If Pogba leaves yea we need two.

If we sign a world class striker, Right Winger and A DM with Pogba staying I would be a very happy man!

Forgot to add in Ole getting sacked would be great as well as he has no clue how to adapt his tactics to the smaller teams.

Last edited:
Maybe hes putting pressure on Ole to start delivering results, Ole cant say he hasn't been backed now hes spent nearly 200 mil.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Maybe he is? Maybe he’s loved within the restaurant as one of the best pot washers they’ve ever had, and considered a valuable part of their team that earned a Michelin star 20 years ago ... then he went off to work in a McDonalds for a a decade, and when he came back was inexplicably given the head chefs position... but it’s okay, cos if they just give him enough time to learn how to actually cook, say like 5 years or something, it’s perfectly reasonable to expect them to attract exactly the same level of clientele whilst keeping their star and maintaining their reputation... isn’t it??
:lol:

I personally don't see anything wrong with this. It's clear the new recruitment strategy came in before Ole, hence why Mourinho lost his shit and will continue after Ole.

It isn't Ole exclusive.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

I cannot stand Woodward talking about the next window being a big opportunity. As long as he is in charge of this football club we will be perennial Europa candidates at best.

Edit: I hate being so negative but you can smell his lies a mile off

clarkydaz

"spent £200m since ole came in". And sold Lukaku, Fellaini, Darmian bringing it down to around £100m. Which will be recouped selling Pogba in the summer

Judas

Open to offers

We need too new midfielders, we need a new cb, a starting striker and a RW is a must, we've been ignoring that position for a ridiculously long time.

This is what loads of us are saying, the standards are so low on here now, that people honestly think we need so little done to this crap team.

Greck

"spent £200m since ole came in". And sold Lukaku, Fellaini, Darmian bringing it down to around £100m. Which will be recouped selling Pogba in the summer
The net spend is still one of the more lucrative figures any new manager has ever received at any non-oil club no matterwhat outgoings you tag on.

dove

People are getting mad about quotes from Ed :lol: I assume it was from some conference call, what do you expect him to say? That we are shit, our manager is out of his depth, Old Trafford is crumbling and we are fecked for the foreseeable future? I am sure it would go well :lol: To me that was pretty standard quotes from the CEO of a football club.

reddevil702

Experienced players of the quality we should be after won’t want to play for Ole. The fact that no team in any of the top 4-5 leagues will hire him once he’s sacked really says it all! He’s not good enough and no amount of money or players will change that.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Been saying it for ages but I think Woodward is genuinely going to stick by Ole and go out on his sword this time in a few years. He has no other option, Ole is the only thing protecting him from getting annihilated by the fans and things getting uncomfortable at the ground imo.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

Nothing really wrong with those quotes as long he backs it up. Our business needs to be done a lot earlier in the window although I expect the sale of Pogba will drag on until the last minute.

Roboc7

Been saying it for ages but I think Woodward is genuinely going to stick by Ole and go out on his sword this time in a few years. He has no other option, Ole is the only thing protecting him from getting annihilated by the fans and things getting uncomfortable at the ground imo.
Appoint Poch (or someone else), sign a couple of players and everyone will move on very quickly. Safest bet for Woodward is to replace Ole at end of season and lower we finish in the league the easier that is.

Irwin99

I personally don't see anything wrong with this. It's clear the new recruitment strategy came in before Ole, hence why Mourinho lost his shit and will continue after Ole.

It isn't Ole exclusive.

I saw the tightening of the purse strings in Jose's 3rd season as a statement that the club were happy for him to grind out champions league finishes and they knew that Fred and Dalot weren't going to make up an 18 point gap to City. In other words, trophies or really competing were never the big concern. Obviously speculating here but I think Ole made a pitch ('rebuild, the United way, the academy tradition, culture' etc.) and Ed went with it.

I guess we'll see how much of the Pogba money goes towards this summers net spend (and maybe how much of it even covers the Bruno transfer :nervous:).

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Replacing Ole should not be number one priority right now. I really dont think Poch (for exemple) would do it much better with all injuries and thin squad at the moment.

We need a RW, a top striker and a CM in the summer. Sancho, Werner and Soumare be my picks. And I really hope Pogba stays one more season atleast.

if we can get that and Ole still has no clue then yes, he has to go. but not right now.

Greck

He just had thugs at his doorstep. Never even happened in Jose's most toxic days. I doubt he's feeling protected.

hobbers

Don't care what Ed comes out with if he's going to stand by and let his vanity over the hiring Ole mistake bring the club down even further.

Status
Not open for further replies.