Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Well I think its a matter of opinion, I wouldnt call us a boring team but wouldnt call us spectacular either. But maybe Im setting the bar really high, for me spectacular is our 2007/2008 team, or Bayern under Heynckes, Barca under Pep or Liverpool with Klopp. Thats what I mean when I say its worthy to highlight a team for their spectacularity. I dont think we are even close to that level of spectacle currently.
You do realise that the ones you highlight are exceptions right?

SAFMUTD

Yeah, I don't disagree. It was horrible.

But the point was that Ole is considerably better in terms of sheer entertainment than any of his post-SAF counterparts.

He wins that one easily - in fact, he cuts off his predecessors' heads and pisses on 'em quite comfortably. So, there's that.

Perhaps that says more about his predecessors than anything - but it's nevertheless 100% true.
100% agree

Sweet Square

But maybe Im setting the bar really high, for me spectacular is our 2007/2008 team, or Bayern under Heynckes, Barca under Pep or Liverpool with Klopp. Thats what I mean when I say its worthy to highlight a team for their spectacularity. I dont think we are even close to that level of spectacle currently.
These teams took years to make(Our 08 started in 2005), it didn't happen with the space of two years. It's silly to expect Ole and the players within the space of 24 months to rival possibly the greatest United and British team of all time. A year before Pep took at Barcelona didn't win a single trophy and finished 3rd in the league, yet it was clear they were going to be something special, Koop in his first 3 seasons at Liverpool finished - 8th, 4th and 4th. Great teams take a lot of time and some luck.

Interesting little fact, this current United team has more consecutive away wins then the 08 team.

SAFMUTD

These teams took years to make(Our 08 started in 2005), it didn't happen with the space of two years. It's silly to expect Ole and the players within the space of 24 months to rival possibly the greatest United and British team of all time. A year before Pep took at Barcelona didn't win a single trophy and finished 3rd in the league, yet it was clear they were going to be something special, Koop in his first 3 seasons at Liverpool finished - 8th, 4th and 4th.

Great teams take a lot of time and some luck. There's having a high bar and then there's not understanding basic football history.

Interesting little fact, this current United team has more consecutive away wins then the 08 team.
I dont disagree with you, Im not asking for this team to be that spectacular. It was just a reply to a post on someone calling us spectacular thats it.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Yeah, I don't disagree. It was horrible.

But the point was that Ole is considerably better in terms of sheer entertainment than any of his post-SAF counterparts.

He wins that one easily - in fact, he cuts off his predecessors' heads and pisses on 'em quite comfortably *. So, there's that.

Perhaps that says more about his predecessors than anything - but it's nevertheless 100% true.

* Sorry - I just watched Evil Dead II in order to determine whether it was worth watching again. The answer is - yeah, nah, depends. An answer which - curiously - is identical to the one I would give to the question: "Is Ole the right man for United?".
No need to apologize. It's actually one of the techniques for getting the skin off, according to the Hagakure (p.138).

If you cut a face lengthwise, urinate on it, and trample on it with straw sandals, it is said that the skin will come off. This was heard by the priest Gyojaku when he was in Kyoto. It is information to be treasured.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Hard to disagree with you, I do think he's building a team for the future. My point is that that team from the future should be managed by a wordclass manager. No disrespect to Ole but I dont think he is or will be worldclass.

My only comment is about the youth system flourishing I think is a narrative, we always have held a great youth system. Ole promoted Greenwood, but before him Mourinho promoted McTominay, before LVG promoted Rashford, and so on. I think no matter who the manager is we always had youth talent and is in the club DNA to give them chances.
Thats such a dangerous position to take though.

Take a step back, and consider this scenario: In December 2018 somebody paints our fanbase a picture of everything that is going to happen at the club in the next 2 seasons - the progress we've made, the choices made etc etc - without saying who it was that was leading that. I think a lot of people would be saying that that person was, perhaps not necessarily world class, but at least performing very strongly.

Are there any better tacticians out there than Ole? The answer is yes. Are there any available better tacticians out there? The answer to that is less clear. Are there any available better tacticians out there who also bring the other qualities that have helped Ole get us where we are right now? I think its quite unlikely.

I certainly would not want to take that risk while there is still a good possibility that the guy we have can deliver trophies. The best word I can think of to describe anyone taking that decision right now would be reckless

Mainoldo

Take a step back, and consider this scenario: In December 2018 somebody paints our fanbase a picture of everything that is going to happen at the club in the next 2 seasons - the progress we've made, the choices made etc etc - without saying who it was that was leading that. I think a lot of people would be saying that that person was, perhaps not necessarily world class, but at least performing very strongly.

Are there any better tacticians out there than Ole? The answer is yes. Are there any available better tacticians out there? The answer to that is less clear. Are there any available better tacticians out there who also bring the other qualities that have helped Ole get us where we are right now? I think its quite unlikely.

I certainly would not want to take that risk while there is still a good possibility that the guy we have can deliver trophies. The best word I can think of to describe anyone taking that decision right now would be reckless
If someone painted that picture we would probably think we just rehired a btec Mourinho.

Buying defenders and needing new ones to replace the ones we brought. Negative boring tactics against the big clubs and then to top it off unlike the other failed bunch. No trophies.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If someone painted that picture we would probably think we just rehired a btec Mourinho.

Buying defenders and needing new ones to replace the ones we brought. Negative boring tactics against the big clubs and then to top it off unlike the other failed bunch. No trophies.
So you want us to play so much open against Liverpool and City with that defense and keeper? After what happened to the Everton game, I thought people would be smart enough to understand.

Mainoldo

So you want us to play so much open against Liverpool and City with that defense and keeper? After what happened to the Everton game, I thought people would be smart enough to understand.
Okay so he’s brought a whole new back 4 bar Lindelof! Which you have just confirmed is not good enough to beat big teams playing offensive football.

So explain to me how we messed up the requirement process and what is the solution to that problem. So what is Ole progressing to improve this after 3 years of being in charge?

SAFMUTD

I agree, it all falls under the presumption if you think that Ole can get us to that higher standard with enough time given. I think you do, I think he won't. That doesnt makes him a failure or anything, is just that the standard is so high in the EPL at the moment with our rivals having the best 2 managers in the world. I think we should gamble on finding the next gem. I know its really hard, and nothings given but I would rather gamble and have a shot to hit gold. I think we are more likely to succed that way rather than give Ole more time.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Okay so he’s brought a whole new back 4 bar Lindelof! Which you have just confirmed is not good enough to beat big teams playing offensive football.

So explain to me how we messed up the requirement process and what is the solution to that problem. So what is Ole progressing to improve this after 3 years of being in charge?
Defense is not just about 2 or 3 players of the back four. Come back with the same argument when he signs another new centre back and a keeper minimum and also a DM, understand now?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
So you can’t question him until we’ve invested another £120+mil?
Why would you question him for not playing more open against Liverpool and man city when you could see there are still problems in defense that prevent us to play more open against them?

AshRK

Youre setting the bar as low as it can get, specially LVG I would rather see informertials than those matches. Cant remember how many times I felt sleep watching us under LVG, the matches starting at 5-6 a.m. didnt help but feck me that was as boring as it can get.
We have scored the most goals in the PL this season. Bar city and maybe leeds we are the most entertaining side to watch. I bet with similar stats if poch or tuchel was our manager they would have been praised. Ole has flaws but issue is many have made up their mind that he is a crap manager and don't want to change their opinion. Look at one idiot in this thread calling him the worst coach and a loser. That's how unfairly he has been mocked and criticized.

Withnail

Always adding on an extra year. Shameless :)

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Well I think its a matter of opinion, I wouldnt call us a boring team but wouldnt call us spectacular either. But maybe Im setting the bar really high, for me spectacular is our 2007/2008 team, or Bayern under Heynckes, Barca under Pep or Liverpool with Klopp. Thats what I mean when I say its worthy to highlight a team for their spectacularity. I dont think we are even close to that level of spectacle currently.
No one is saying we're a spectacular side, as you need to be dominant and win trophies to be called so.

However, if that's the level you've set for a side to be called entertaining, I'm not sure how you even watch football, as nearly every game would be a boring game between 2 boring sides by your standards.

AFC NimbleThumb

Why would you question him for not playing more open against Liverpool and man city when you could see there are still problems in defense that prevent us to play more open against them?
I’m not saying I don’t see issues & improvements aren’t needed.

I’m just not sure we should continue to open the chequebook to remedy every issue.

I’d also say that the assumption OgS will play ‘more openly’ once we have new players isn’t something we can guarantee.

The team needs players in the positions you identified but critiquing OgS is valid currently imo.

Mainoldo

Defense is not just about 2 or 3 players of the back four. Come back with the same argument when he signs another new centre back and a keeper minimum and also a DM, understand now?
Let’s not insult both of our intelligence. So explain what the defence is about?

Are you saying he needs a whole new back line just to sort out his defence?

Maybe tag someone else.. It’s post like these that always have me at a headloss.

So to fill in Bilbo’s perfect picture I have to also imagine that the new manager brought in £150m worth of defensive talent but he also needs to replace DDG and buy another CB.

Maybe you try it. If you spent £150m on a defence but need more money to improve the defence, is that successful requirement ?

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Just out of interest, how many league titles has Poch won in his 1 year in charge at PSG?

AshRK

Always adding on an extra year. Shameless :)
It's funny I had an argument with a Jose fan boy (LUHG guy). He said Ole took over a side that finished 2nd and took them 6th to which I said Jose took over a CL finalist side who finished 4th and took them to europa. He said spurs were in a mess to which I asked what were United when Ole took over to which he had no answer.

Reason I mention this is how lame it looks when people just add a year and make stupid points which makes them look even lamer.

No Spring Chicken

Kind of amazed people think we’re not entertaining. We score loads, concede loads, pull off shit loads of late comebacks and throw away leads. How many teams score 9 and concede 6 at home in the same season?

Whether we’re any good or not is another debate, but compared to the old days of Jose and LVG, our games are absolutely action packed these days.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I’m not saying I don’t see issues & improvements aren’t needed.

I’m just not sure we should continue to open the chequebook to remedy every issue.

I’d also say that the assumption OgS will play ‘more openly’ once we have new players isn’t something we can guarantee.

The team needs players in the positions you identified but critiquing OgS is valid currently imo.
It’s something we have shown that we have evolved in our approach from last season to this season. IMO Ole has valid reason not yet to be more open against man city & Liverpool this season when you look at the defense problem.

croadyman

It’s something we have shown that we have evolved in our approach from last season to this season. IMO Ole has valid reason not yet to be more open against man city & Liverpool this season when you look at the defense problem.
Yeah painful as those big six games are to endure it's clear that Ole doesn't trust our defence enough to go on the front foot in these matches from the start and explains why we insist on McFred in them.

Foxbatt

Because we drew a match against Everton which we were leading 2-0 and dominated? Get a grip. Of course there is room for improvement, especially in organizing our defense and upgrading a regressing goalkeeper but saying Ole has lost the plot is knee jerk.
Of course he lost the plot. When we win he gets the credit and rightly so. When we lose due to the game management or bringing or not bringing on subs, it's the fault of the players?
Sure he is not at fault for DeGea gifting the ball. He sure has to take the responsibility for the subs.

croadyman

Of course he lost the plot. When we win he gets the credit and rightly so. When we lose due to the game management or bringing or not bringing on subs, it's the fault of the players?
Sure he is not at fault for DeGea gifting the ball. He sure has to take the responsibility for the subs.
Yeah still hoping the penny will drop eventually in regards to making subs quick enough in the game

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I agree, it all falls under the presumption if you think that Ole can get us to that higher standard with enough time given. I think you do, I think he won't. That doesnt makes him a failure or anything, is just that the standard is so high in the EPL at the moment with our rivals having the best 2 managers in the world. I think we should gamble on finding the next gem. I know its really hard, and nothings given but I would rather gamble and have a shot to hit gold. I think we are more likely to succed that way rather than give Ole more time.
I disagree but appreciate your point of view.

Id feel far more comfortable gambling on players than I would on a manager. We have closed the gap by improving the squad and we will continue to close that gap as long as our player recruitment continues to be as solid as it has been.

Mainoldo

Just out of interest, how many league titles has Poch won in his 1 year in charge at PSG?
Poch is not my Daddy I am not his son. Why the hell do I care what Pochettino is doing at another club.

Mainoldo

It's funny I had an argument with a Jose fan boy (LUHG guy). He said Ole took over a side that finished 2nd and took them 6th to which I said Jose took over a CL finalist side who finished 4th and took them to europa. He said spurs were in a mess to which I asked what were United when Ole took over to which he had no answer.

Reason I mention this is how lame it looks when people just add a year and make stupid points which makes them look even lamer.
Well atleast you get to experience what lame arguments look like when you say anything to back a manager!

croadyman

Sorry sometimes I leave subliminals. I’m basically saying by November of this year if he’s still in charge he’ll still have the same problems.
If we were allowed to properly invest this summer he would get all of CB, RB (cover), CDM & RW/ST but sadly we can't

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Let’s not insult both of our intelligence. So explain what the defence is about?

Are you saying he needs a whole new back line just to sort out his defence?

Maybe tag someone else.. It’s post like these that always have me at a headloss.

So to fill in Bilbo’s perfect picture I have to also imagine that the new manager brought in £150m worth of defensive talent but he also needs to replace DDG and buy another CB.

Maybe you try it. If you spent £150m on a defence but need more money to improve the defence, is that successful requirement ?
If the keeper isn’t good enough then he needs to be replaced and same goes with another centre back. What is wrong with that? Pep needed the whole new defense because the ones he inherited weren’t good enough and so far spent more than half billion just for defensive players while Klopp also needed the whole new defense because the ones he inherited weren’t good enough and so far spent 200m just for defensive players.

Mainoldo

If we were allowed to properly invest this summer he would get all of CB, RB (cover), CDM & RW/ST but sadly we can't
Yeah I know. But in all honesty nobody gets a complete team and this is always My argument. If you need all the right tools to do your job. Maybe your not just that good at it.

But at the sametime I don’t want to be disrespectful to Ole, where we currently are is an improvement on last season and even though they are certain circumstances to that improvement, we still have gone forward. My problem is his improvement isn’t good enough for a title winning Manchester United manager.

Mainoldo

If the keeper isn’t good enough then he needs to be replaced and same goes with another centre back. What is wrong with that? Pep needed the whole new defense because the ones he inherited weren’t good enough and so far spent more than half billion just for defensive players while Klopp also needed the whole new defense because the ones he inherited weren’t good enough and so far spent 200m just for defensive players.
Pep and Klopp both won titles on the first time of asking. £50m full backs and a new keeper, title won. £75m on a defender and £50m on a keeper European title won.

What do we have to show for it? Just more investment.

You can’t just keep having big investments and seeing nothing for it. That’s what gets managers like Lampard sacked.

Transfers are very important in football but if to be a successful manager is all dependent on money everyone can do it.

croadyman

Pep and Klopp both won titles on the first time of asking. £50m full backs and a new keeper, title won. £75m on a defender and £50m on a keeper European title won.

What do we have to show for it? Just more investment.

You can’t just keep having big investments and seeing nothing for it. That’s what gets managers like Lampard sacked.

Transfers are very important in football but if to be a successful manager is all dependent on money everyone can do it.
Yeah you do make a very valid point there

Status
Not open for further replies.