Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Our attackers have been much better than Chelsea's. Werner can't hit a barn door.

Haverrtz was great today, but has been pretty anonymous the rest of the season.

Their top goalscorer is Jorginho in the league with 7. And that is because he takes penalties. Mount is second with 6 - first in terms of goals from open play. Shows how bad their forwards are.
My point is more about options at a similar level Pulisic, Werner, Havertz, Giroud, Abraham, Hudson Odoi, Ziyech. Is a good mix to set up however you want.
We have Rashford, Cavani, Greenwood, Martial, which basically picks itself in set positions. And then a drop off in quality to others like James, Mata.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
LOOK at the top class managers the rest have, and we've got Ole, which no other team in the world would want! What a pathetic acceptance we as a club are taking.
Good luck expecting Sancho to unlock the key to footballing success.
Pah! I've been wanting us to move forward since bilbao, we're a mile off and it's NOTHING to do with players....I love ole, so what? He's a shit manager and we all know it

el3mel

I have never regretted United winning a match but now I do for winning against PSG in Paris. Managers like Pep, Tauchel, and Klopp have managed big clubs and have the experienced of winning or playing in huge competitions. The very top players want to win trophies. Does anyone seriously think that a player would come to United to win trophies if they have the option of going to City, Chelsea or Liverpool? They would not accept Ole as a top manager.
Woodward would have given Ole the contract regardless. Woodward wanted to just believe that he discovered an unknown gem in Ole as a manager and wanted to take credit for it. For him Ole's honeymoon period was also a proof that the club is structured pretty well and it was only the previous managers who were the problem. 100% would have given him the contract anyway.

ex and

You don't understand. Anyone can become Fergie if they're just given time! The reason we don't have hundreds of Fergies around is impatient club owners!
But you don’t really understand either! Compare Chelsea trophies since Sir Alex has retired to ours, and they’ve had one more manager than us.
They didn’t wait to give their icon, Frank Lampard, time.

Womp

idiot
Woodward would have given Ole the contract regardless. Woodward wanted to just believe that he discovered an unknown gem in Ole as a manager and wanted to take credit for it. For him Ole's honeymoon period was also a proof that the club is structured pretty well and it was only the previous managers who were the problem. 100% would have given him the contract anyway.
People saw this coming though. Our performances towards the end of that season really started to be tumescent. Wasn't just the results, but the football being played was quite shite too.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Anyone who thinks Ole is the guy to bring us to where we shld be are fecking delusional he's not even a real manager. He had to rope in at the last minute Carrick and Phelan cus and I Quote we're young and he's experienced...look at the way Chelsea operate. But most of our fans are like let's give Ole another season to see what he can do when he hasn't progressed at all from day 1. Still has shit in game management, still late in subs, and is clearly STILL winging it.

el3mel

People saw this coming though. Our performances towards the end of that season really started to be tumescent. Wasn't just the results, but the football being played was quite shite too.
My problem is Ole is I see the current statues que as his utmost peak. Next season I can't expect anything different, it'll be another top 3 finish and some good runs in cups. We'll probably get past the CL group this time as there's a good chance it will be an easier group..etc. Are people really expecting anything ?

For me this is Ole's ceiling. It's time to move on, all honestly.

Mind you, if he leaves now I'll just thank him for the signings and the overall current squad quality. Results wise, I honestly view those 2 years as pretty much an above average and the bare minimum any United manager should do. Results I really saw nothing special from Ole. He did pretty well in squad rebuilding though and now it's time for a better manager to start winning with us.

passing-wind

The biggest significance of Chelsea vs United comes solely down to the managers. Solskjaer is not a winner, he doesn't have the mentality, he's shown nothing to indicate that he intends United to be the best. Team looks disorganised tactically, disjointed coaching wise and in weak mentality in competitive temperament compared to the level the team needs to reach to challenge.

Giggsyking

So the argument changed, the old "a new manager can't win anything in a few years look at Klopp" has now changed to "even the best managers fail look at Pep".

It's just delusion at this point, it's a cult.
Its a disgusting delusion. Somehow they close their eyes to Tuchels winning the CL, but say look even Pep lost despite the fact he just fecking won the league. Shameless

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
i wish he was as good as the majority of redcafe thinks.

We have literally seen what happens when you sack off sentiment & get a proper manager in. Whatever though, I give up. The sentiment is too strong with our fanbase, I’m not gonna even bother screaming Ole out anymore. I just can’t wait to be challenging again whenever that will be. I miss us being a big club. When Ole does finally get sacked it’s imperative we get the next appointment right because I can’t bare another bad appointment.

Womp

idiot
i wish he was as good as the majority of redcafe thinks.

We have literally seen what happens when you sack off sentiment & get a proper manager in. Whatever though, I give up. The sentiment is too strong with our fanbase, I’m not gonna even bother screaming Ole out anymore. I just can’t wait to be challenging again whenever that will be. I miss us being a big club. When Ole does finally get sacked it’s imperative we get the next appointment right because I can’t bare another bad appointment.
Is it really the majority anymore though? It just looks like it at times because anyone that doesn't think he's the next SAF is hounded out of here for being a negative nancy etc.

SAFMUTD

The biggest significance of Chelsea vs United comes solely down to the managers. Solskjaer is not a winner, he doesn't have the mentality, he's shown nothing to indicate that he intends United to be the best. Team looks disorganised tactically, disjointed coaching wise and in weak mentality in competitive temperament compared to the level the team needs to reach to challenge.
It's not even about mentality, it's about being a tactician. Ole is not, he may be a good mananager or whatever but he's really poor on tactics and that's not going to change.

stw2022

Comparing Fergie to the wilting violet that sits there looking like the reason why he never makes a tactical change during a match is in case someone shouts at him is an insult.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Is it really the majority anymore though? It just looks like it at times because anyone that doesn't think he's the next SAF is hounded out of here for being a negative nancy etc.
I don’t know. The vehement Ole in people are extremely aggressive so maybe it just seems like theres more of them. All I know is I’ve received temporary bans in the past for questioning wether he’s the right man, which is extremely unfair as that is not a rule break. I know I will be banned permanently eventually but im not gonna pretend he’s a great manager just to keep my place on a forum. Like I said, I really really wish Ole was as good as redcafe think he is.

I’ll back him, because I’m not deluded, I know he’ll be here next season. I hope he brings in a coach who knows how to train players & an advisor to help him navigate his in-game management.

SAFMUTD

Its a disgusting delusion. Somehow they close their eyes to Tuchels winning the CL, but say look even Pep lost despite the fact he just fecking won the league. Shameless
Anything to make it fit. It's the Glazers, the players, Fred, Lindelof, the weather, the tight schedule, the fans, anything but good Ole. He's perfect just needs more time to change the mess all the other managers left him 3 freaking seasons ago.

stw2022

When he’s fired it’ll be because of everything we know of now. Some of us won’t have to pretend we’re shocked

The "go to work early after defeat" trophy.

To add it to his other trophies:

"top 4 back to back" trophy.
"Harmony and happiness in the club" trophy.
"reaching EL final" trophy.
"Handling press well" trophy.
It’s the equivalent of the“he’s a good man” narrative the media kept pushing when it became beyond obvious Moyes needed to go. I really don’t get it, are all other managers bad people? Don’t all other managers also work hard

At least he’s done enough for not to be sacked.
This is why our rival fans love him so much. He does just enough not to get sacked but he’ll never win the league or CL.

The Oracle

This.

"Trophies are for ego's"

...says it all

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I am just glad this this coming season will be the end of this debate. He either proves to be the dogs bollocks or we get rid.

el3mel

I am just glad this this coming season will be the end of this debate. He either proves to be the dogs bollocks or we get rid.
Who said it'll be the end ? It's United.

We'll give him 3 years contract and you can pretty damn bet as long as he achieves top 4 every season the contracts will keep on rolling even if we win shit.

He'sRaldo

We need to give him the Lampard treatment next season.

A hefty backing (for quality players of course, no more Maguire for 80M nonsense) and then if he isn't challenging by new year then we get rid for the best option at the time.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

We need to give him the Lampard treatment next season.

A hefty backing (for quality players of course, no more Maguire for 80M nonsense) and then if he isn't challenging by new year then we get rid for the best option at the time.
100% agree. Give him a blank cheque. Get him absolutely everyone he wants. If he fails we know who the problem is.

TheReligion

Abusive
I’ve been a big defender of Ole. I think we’ve made huge progress under him and I think the club is going in the right direction.

Some of the big games this year though have been a huge concern. We’ve been cowardly. Unfortunately, there’s no other word. We haven’t gone for games we should have.

Now, if it’s against City or Liverpool, you could argue he might be right to be cautious. But that Villarreal team are atrocious. They looked very poor tonight. They were a Spanish Burnley, sitting back with 11 men behind the ball hoping to hit us with a set piece, and they did.

This wasn’t a game to be cautious and to be fair, Solskjaer’s starting 11 was a pretty attacking one. We didn’t play Fred. Played Pogba instead and played rashford and Greenwood either side of Cavani.

But, things did not go as planned. And I think tonight has been the biggest indictment on Ole’s time so far at United. Bruno was invisible for most of the game. Shaw didn’t have one of his better games. We were dodgy at the back. But Marcus Rashford had one of his worst games in a United shirt.

And you know what, these things can happen. Players can underperform for plenty of reasons. But no changes for 90 minutes. Rashford staying on the field. Greenwood being replaced and pogba being replaced are all things that baffled me and judging from this forum and Twitter, I’m not the only one.

It was a case tonight of Ole hoping some players pulled some magic out of thin air rather than make positive changes to affect the game. As I said, I’ve been a fan and a defender of Ole, but tonight has really made me think, he may not be the man to lead United forward. It was a genuinely pathetic display tonight.
Sums up my thoughts. It's upset me more feeling so let down by Ole and the players as it's made me think we're going to need yet another change to finish this rebuild off.

Foxbatt

100% agree. Give him a blank cheque. Get him absolutely everyone he wants. If he fails we know who the problem is.
We may get Sancho and even Kane but suddenly we are not going to break down teams who defend deep. Spurs with Jose is a good example. They were a team who played good football. Give Jose the same team and they missed the CL spot and won nothing. It does not depend entirely on the players. The onus is on the manager.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

We may get Sancho and even Kane but suddenly we are not going to break down teams who defend deep. Spurs with Jose is a good example. They were a team who played good football. Give Jose the same team and they missed the CL spot and won nothing. It does not depend entirely on the players. The onus is on the manager.
I know the problem is Ole, but he’s going to be here next season so I’d rather back him & spend tons of money then not.

Ole is a fine man-manager. If we can get him a tactician on the training pitch & a great assistant to advice him in-game (to prevent his terrible use of substitutions) we will be much better. Just let Ole motivate the players, we need proper coaches.

Giggsyking

So we feck up the club's economy just to see if he is the problem. It is obvious he is not a top manager. Winning the Norwegian league and relegating Cardiff is not the CV that should be accepted at a club in the size and prestige of Manchester united.

RonaldoVII

I swear most in here are thankful that we lost to Villarreal to enforce their belief. What happened to your lord and saviour Pep tonight? Or Jurgen finishing 3rd? I thought they were Christ reincarnate? Tuchel bottled the FA cup and almost bottled 4th place only for Rodgers to give it them.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

So we feck up the club's economy just to see if he is the problem. It is obvious he is not a top manager. Winning the Norwegian league and relegating Cardiff is not the CV that should be accepted at a club in the size and prestige of Manchester united.
We have plenty of money. Would you rather Ole with £300m extra talent or Ole with £50m extra talent? He’s going to be here regardless, so I want us to spend as much as possible. He isn’t a tactician, so we might as well pack the squad with ballers. Hopefully they can win us games on their own.

FatTails

I don’t care if Ole leaves or stays.

If he stays, I’ll enjoy chaotic football where literally anything can happen. That includes going behind 10 times and coming from behind, beating City and losing to a weak Villarreal when we’re heavy favourites, looking like world beaters on the counter but having terrible possession play, his press conferences and positivity, and all that fun stuff.

If we replace him, we will see a better coached team, more tactical nous (can you imagine Ole switching up formations for a game? Going with a back 3 or with two strikers when that makes sense?), maybe a higher likelihood of winning trophies, and just being able to judge based on managerial ability rather than conflating sentiment with ability.

kerryman

Question....if Ole wasn't an ex Utd player would the club have hired him for his managerial talent and experience -managing Cardiff and Molde?....not a hope they would have!! Our strategy is built on the hope he's another Pep or Zidane, ex players who have had success at their clubs as managers. Problem is...it's clear he isn't but many won't accept the fact.

FatTails

I swear most in here are thankful that we lost to Villarreal to enforce their belief. What happened to your lord and saviour Pep tonight? Or Jurgen finishing 3rd? I thought they were Christ reincarnate? Tuchel bottled the FA cup and almost bottled 4th place only for Rodgers to give it them.
Are you seriously comparing a manager with no prior experience at the top level with proven managers who have won a ton of stuff?

Surprise surprise, managers don’t always win everything in sight, no matter how good. SAF only won two CLs despite all the domestic domination.

You’re missing the point. No one knows what Ole’s ceiling is while the managers you’ve mentioned have been there, done that, and there’s a reason that they could find a job in a couple of days at the world’s biggest clubs if they become available.

Before you bring the knives out, I’m not asking for Ole to be sacked, just annoyed by the false equivalence.

NZT-One

Absolute bollocks.

Zidane won the league last season and challenged for the league this and reached CL semi with a pretty average squad that doesn't have any more than 5 top players at best and most of them are on their last legs.

Honestly when I read things like this I feel people don't follow football outside Premier League.
I am not going to argue, that Zidane hasn't done very well with Real Madrid. Far from it - my point was that he didn't do anything outside of the Real Madrid bubble. Plus while being successful I can't remember any time I stumbled upon some articles detailing his tactics and their excellence. That doesn't need to mean he is bad at it, but indicators are there that he isn't a future great. He also has to take a share in current state of the Real Madrid squad - for good and bad. For me he is to much 50/50 (arguably my personal opinion).

This pointless dithering is why there is limited options available now. We missed out on Tuchel, Nagelsmann, potentially Rose, Poch etc. all because to some fans and to the board supposedly, what was evident to some a while ago still isn't evident. Under him, we've had 2 and a half seasons of failure. No matter how you spin it, he's failed. No-one gives a feck if you come second in a season where other teams around us are uncharacteristally struggling. Our points finish this season would of had us in 3rd/4th in previous seasons. Our previous managers all won trophies in the same time Ole has been given and were still deemed not good enough, with worse/ageing squads and against stronger competition. He has been a failure, there's no other way to put it. He hasn't won a trophy himself in approaching a decade. We keep hearing this nonsense of progress and patience, but he has no history of patience in him paying off. He won a title with Molde early on and has not done much else since in a very poor league for approaching a decade. Jose goes a season or two without winning a trophy and the Ole-in people claim he's washed up, not with the times etc. but Ole goes almost a decade without winning a trophy in a piss poor league and he's SAF, just needs more time apparently.
I can live with you seeing it like that. I don't agree with it in full. I understand where you are coming from and I think that "the progress" often is grossly overstated, denying it fully doesn't feel right. The squad today is in better shape than it was 2,5 years ago. Plus we are at a point where we at least are good in countering. Back then, even small teams were comfortable enough to have a go at us because we couldn't even really counter. Again, we can argue the extent of the progress but denying it fully doesn't seem very rational to me.

In this climate, managers don't usually stick around for longer than 4-5 years a cycle, and we've spent almost 3 of them supposedly trying to learn how to play progressive football (which I still can't see, as lesser teams are still playing superior football to ourselves).
Even if, during this time, the manager got rid of deadwood, helped a few players to establish themselves and improve them - things we would have expected from any manager. He also seemingly re-established a few traditional values, certainly also not a bad thing to have. Does that mean we have to stick with him - no it doesn't. But when we want to decide how to proceed, we have to evaluate everything.

I still do think there are better and more exciting options available - Poch seemingly could have his head turned by the Spurs talk, Zidane would be interesting, so too will Ten Hag - none of them are guaranteed success' but no manager is. The approach we need to fecking bin is this rubbish that a coach needs 3-4 years to start 1. winning trophies and 2. implementing a progressive style of football, two things Ole has still failed on, 3 years in.
Ten Hag is a good idea (was expecting Bayern to go for him instead of Nagelsmann), I also like what Jardim has done with Monaco for a while some time ago. But, to be honest, currently I don't think the club has it in him to bring in such a manager. A smart progressive choice. I feel, they would go for a more established manager like Conte or Allegri. And I think that would be a much bigger issue in the long run than sticking with Ole until the obvious right candidate is available.

This isn't like Klopp, even though that comparison is made many a time. Klopp didn't join Liverpool on the back of 8 years of failure in a shite league, Klopp got them into CL finals in the same time Ole is getting us knocked out of the CL, Klopp had them playing a high intensity, progressive game, it was evident they just needed the players. Meanwhile we still look clueless without a mile of space to play into and counter attacking, our pressing is a fecking joke and uncoordinated, our passes are slow and predictable and the movement is static and predictable etc. Even though we finished above Liverpool under Jose, most fans on here knew they were the ones on the up and it proved to be correct. I wonder how many Man City fans feel that way about us for an example.
Lets simply stop with the Klopp-comparisons. I think, we have established that they are faulty as f***.

I am absolutely ready to overthink the manager position, but I dont want to see the same mistakes made again. Impulsiveness got him the permanent job earlier than needed, following new impulsive urges like craving for short-term success would, for me, be such a mistake all over again. And right now, there is no obvious candidate available that is worth the trouble. I know this is highly subjective but thats the thing with football discussions, isn't it?

Last edited:

el3mel

I am not going to argue, that Zidane hasn't done very well with Real Madrid. Far from it - my point was that he didn't do anything outside of the Real Madrid bubble. Plus while being successful I can't remember any time I stumbled upon some articles detailing his tactics and their excellence. That doesn't need to mean he is bad at it, but indicators are there that he isn't a future great. He also has to take a share in current state of the Real Madrid squad - for good and bad. For me he is to much 50/50 (arguably my personal opinion).
I shared a similar view back when he was winning the 3 CLs run, but imo, the second Real Madrid stent proved to me he's a top quality coach can get from his players far more than his natural abilities.

The current Real Madrid squad is in no way or shape better overall than us. They only have Banezema, Kroos, Modric, Ramos and Courtois as top players, and 3 of them are on their already last legs in football. The rest of the squad is pretty average and he still did excellent with them.

I honestly think Zidane will like a lot of our squad and will be able to get a lot more from it, imo.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Yeah keep on looking on others failures to justify our own failure because football is an equal game and not a competitive game. Read that 100 times.

gajender

Who said it'll be the end ? It's United.

We'll give him 3 years contract and you can pretty damn bet as long as he achieves top 4 every season the contracts will keep on rolling even if we win shit.
I'll take that bet if we invest well this season and just scrape into top 4 Solskjaer would be gone irrespective of new contract even if he wins domestic trophy with it.
You don't invest kind of money we have invested albeit poorly since Sir Alex's retirement just to be top 4 that's just our supporters way of absolving incompetence of managers and the board depending on which side you support.

el3mel

I'll take that bet if we invest well this season and just scrape into top 4 Solskjaer would be gone irrespective of new contract even if he wins domestic trophy with it.
You don't invest kind of money we have invested albeit poorly since Sir Alex's retirement just to be top 4 that's just our supporters way of absolving incompetence of managers and the board depending on which side you support.
I don't think we will barely scrap into top 4. The current team is a pretty solid top 3 team and I can see us comfortably finishing top 4 again next season without much issues.

The problem is I actually don't think the Glazers really care far beyond us being around top 3 and in CL regularly. I haven't seen anything from them so far to show otherwise. I hope I am wrong, but I honestly think they have been pretty content with the overall state of the team, back to back top 4 finish and no toxic dressing room I mean.

gajender

I don't think we will barely scrap into top 4. The current team is a pretty solid top 3 team and I can see us comfortably finishing top 4 again next season without much issues.

The problem is I actually don't think the Glazers really care far beyond us being around top 3 and in CL regularly. I haven't seen anything from them so far to show otherwise. I hope I am wrong, but I honestly think they have been pretty content with the overall state of the team, back to back top 4 finish and no toxic dressing room I mean.
I think we'll get better Idea of what Glazers intentions are going forward last time we got back to back Champions league football Mourinho was already sulking and in self sabotage mode and they rightly refused to back him but ideally he should have been dumped straight after Sevilla defeat .
But now despite us finishing the season badly there are signs for cautious optimism and it feels like a Good summer could elevate this team as genuine title challengers .
Now if board can deliver three first teamers then expectations rightly would be of true title challenge anything less should be end of Solskjaer with United.

Foxbatt

I think we'll get better Idea of what Glazers intentions are going forward last time we got back to back Champions league football Mourinho was already sulking and in self sabotage mode and they rightly refused to back him but ideally he should have been dumped straight after Sevilla defeat .
But now despite us finishing the season badly there are signs for cautious optimism and it feels like a Good summer could elevate this team as genuine title challengers .
Now if board can deliver three first teamers then expectations rightly would be of true title challenge anything less should be end of Solskjaer with United.
This is where I get worried about buying players. DVB, is a classic example. Every Tom, Dick and Harry knows how Ajax plays. So the manager of Manchester United should know about Ajax and Cruijff etc and how they play. DVB is not going to fit into a side that does pass and move. So why did he buy DVB? I don't believe Woodward decided that on his own. No way. Look ay Chelsea and the players bought by Lampard? He could not get them to play because he was not good enough a coach at the very top level.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
So envious of Chelsea, their mentality and coach. While we are stuck with Ole and his mediocre coaching. The club needs to sort itself out and look for a top class coach. They're always out there as is the case with good players. The key is in identifying them.

Sadly Ole is not capable of replicating what the Chelsea City and Livepool managers have in recent times and we all know that. Yet people are mindlessly going along because they feel we are making 'some progress'. Some progress shouldn't be enough. Genuine brilliance should and that's not coming from Ole.

My only hope is that regardless of our average coaching we manage to have a brilliant transfer window and sign some excellent players who improve the squad considerably for whoever the next manager is.

Status
Not open for further replies.