Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This is where I get worried about buying players. DVB, is a classic example. Every Tom, Dick and Harry knows how Ajax plays. So the manager of Manchester United should know about Ajax and Cruijff etc and how they play. DVB is not going to fit into a side that does pass and move. So why did he buy DVB? I don't believe Woodward decided that on his own. No way. Look ay Chelsea and the players bought by Lampard? He could not get them to play because he was not good enough a coach at the very top level.
Absolutely. Moreover the premier requires a certain level of physicality and dynamism which can only be done without if you're technically outstanding. VDB is just a horrendous signing from every point of view.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I don’t want him going just yet -

I want him to go get a few players of the caliber of Sancho, Rice, Kane, or Torres etc

Then see if he is good enough to manage such quality players.

The last summer transfer window was utter shit.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
My problem is Ole is I see the current statues que as his utmost peak. Next season I can't expect anything different, it'll be another top 3 finish and some good runs in cups. We'll probably get past the CL group this time as there's a good chance it will be an easier group..etc. Are people really expecting anything ?

For me this is Ole's ceiling. It's time to move on, all honestly.

Mind you, if he leaves now I'll just thank him for the signings and the overall current squad quality. Results wise, I honestly view those 2 years as pretty much an above average and the bare minimum any United manager should do. Results I really saw nothing special from Ole. He did pretty well in squad rebuilding though and now it's time for a better manager to start winning with us.
This is the point a lot of the Ole in crowd miss. If Ole leaves now ( not gonna happen I know) or possibly even next year provided results aren't terrible, he will leave on good terms and be thanked for stabilizing the ship. But they seem to need the house burning down in order to make a change and Oles reputation will take a real hit in that scenario imo.

SAFMUTD

I am just glad this this coming season will be the end of this debate. He either proves to be the dogs bollocks or we get rid.
If he gets top 4 he'll stay, that's the metric, and be sure there will still be some posters defending him. Will use the same they've been saying "he wasn't backed properly" "it takes time" "we are making progress" etc. They'll lower the bar as much as needed to fit Ole.

SAFMUTD

I know the problem is Ole, but he’s going to be here next season so I’d rather back him & spend tons of money then not.

Ole is a fine man-manager. If we can get him a tactician on the training pitch & a great assistant to advice him in-game (to prevent his terrible use of substitutions) we will be much better. Just let Ole motivate the players, we need proper coaches.
So basically he'll succeed if we take all the managerial responsabilty from him besides motivating the players. Great we just need a top coach to accept an assistant role on Ole's coaching staff and we'll be on our way.

SAFMUTD

So we feck up the club's economy just to see if he is the problem. It is obvious he is not a top manager. Winning the Norwegian league and relegating Cardiff is not the CV that should be accepted at a club in the size and prestige of Manchester united.
Like saying we can't be sure if Daniel James is shit or not until we get him to play around world-class players.

Let's 4 world-class stackers, that way we'll know if Daniel James is not up to it. Ffs we are just wasting time, keep giving the benefit of the doubt to people who obviously are not up to it.

Seems instead of people having to prove they are the right person to keepthe job they have to prove they are not to get fired. We have to absolutely be 100% certain that he's a failure otherwise we can't fire him, what the heck is that loser logic?

SAFMUTD

I swear most in here are thankful that we lost to Villarreal to enforce their belief. What happened to your lord and saviour Pep tonight? Or Jurgen finishing 3rd? I thought they were Christ reincarnate? Tuchel bottled the FA cup and almost bottled 4th place only for Rodgers to give it them.
Top managers lose all the time, but they also WIN. What happen to Pep, he lost the UCL but won the league. What happened to Tuchel lost the FA but won the UCL. Klopp will win again for sure. It's unreal how you can use one defeat to try to compare those top managers to Ole, ridiculous really.

Siezard

On 30 October 2011, Solskjær won the Tippeligaen with Molde in his first year as manager for the team.[138]

On 18 May 2012, Molde gave Aston Villa permission to discuss their vacant managerial role with Solskjær, following the sacking of Alex McLeish.[139] However, Solskjær decided to remain with Molde to avoid disrupting his family after they had settled back in Norway.[140]

On 11 November 2012, Solskjær's team, Molde, won the Tippeligaen for the second consecutive year after they beat Hønefoss 1–0, whilst their closest title challengers, Strømsgodset lost 2–1 away to Sandnes Ulf.[141]

Molde defeated Rosenborg 4–2 in the 2013 Norwegian Cup final on 24 November to win the Norwegian Cup for the third time in their history. Ole Gunnar Solskjær left the club to sign for Premier League side Cardiff City on 2 January 2014.

marcus agrippa

I swear most in here are thankful that we lost to Villarreal to enforce their belief. What happened to your lord and saviour Pep tonight? Or Jurgen finishing 3rd? I thought they were Christ reincarnate? Tuchel bottled the FA cup and almost bottled 4th place only for Rodgers to give it them.
Joke post!

The Villareal loss - and especially the manner of it - isn't about enforcing belief. It's just about accumulating more evidence, if any were needed, that this Ole guy is out of his depth. Can't hack it during clutch moments: needing a single point out of two games to make it out the group, loses both; four semi-final losses; one final loss. Doesn't have the balls to make early changes to affect a major final. His strategy is: "I hope there's a match-winner out there that can do something"; when it should be: 'how can I set the team up and make the necessary changes to give my match-winners the best chance of doing something'. This manager doesn't take risks to win a game (I don't care what he says in interviews; I've long learnt that this guy talks a good game) . It's why we're joint third in the number of draws in the league: he doesn't chance a loss for a win. Forget experience; a coward can never manage an elite team to success.

What happened to Pep? He's just won the league. Again. Came up against a better manager on the day in Tuchel. That can happen. City had chances to win it after all.

Jurgen? Overcame an injury-ravaged season to finish where he did, which, mind you, is only five points behind us. This is what top managers do: overcome adversity to get the most out of what they've got.

Tuchel? Just beat Pep in the CL after having been appointed four months ago (!!!). Didn't bottle the CL places (which he would have got into anyway given that he just won it). 'Almost' doesn't count. That's what you need to learn with Solskjaer.

Water Melon

Joke post!

The Villareal loss - and especially the manner of it - isn't about enforcing belief. It's just about accumulating more evidence, if any were needed, that this Ole guy is out of his depth. Can't hack it during clutch moments: needing a single point out of two games to make it out the group, loses both; four semi-final losses; one final loss. Doesn't have the balls to make early changes to affect a major final. His strategy is: "I hope there's a match-winner out there that can do something"; when it should be: 'how can I set the team up and make the necessary changes to give my match-winners the best chance of doing something'. This manager doesn't take risks to win a game (I don't care what he says in interviews; I've long learnt that this guy talks a good game) . It's why we're joint third in the number of draws in the league: he doesn't chance a loss for a win. Forget experience; a coward can never manage an elite team to success.

What happened to Pep? He's just won the league. Again. Came up against a better manager on the day in Tuchel. That can happen. City had chances to win it after all.

Jurgen? Overcame an injury-ravaged season to finish where he did, which, mind you, is only five points behind us. This is what top managers do: overcome adversity to get the most out of what they've got.

Tuchel? Just beat Pep in the CL after having been appointed four months ago (!!!). Didn't bottle the CL places (which he would have got into anyway given that he just won it). 'Almost' doesn't count. That's what you need to learn with Solskjaer.
Spot on, fully agree.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Tuchel didn't even have one.

We are slowly running out of excuses for him aren't we.
According to some we appear to be the only team whose manager doesn't get a pre-season with his players to plan for the season. Do they realise it will be the same for every big club round Europe?

DomesticTadpole

To me as a manager he doesn't seem to be able to think things through quick enough during a game. You have to be prepared to alter things at a minutes notice. You wonder if he decides which subs will be used during a game and when the situation isn't going the way he thought it would he is scuppered. That is why I was hinting he cannot react quick enough to a situation.

DomesticTadpole

My point is more about options at a similar level Pulisic, Werner, Havertz, Giroud, Abraham, Hudson Odoi, Ziyech. Is a good mix to set up however you want.
We have Rashford, Cavani, Greenwood, Martial, which basically picks itself in set positions. And then a drop off in quality to others like James, Mata.
He bought James, he was happy for the likes of Mata and Matic and god help us Jones getting new contracts, add Bailly to that list. He cannot complain about his options when he went along with those options.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Joke post!

Fully agree and admire your patience to carefully articulate your arguments.
Saying fans wanted us to lose to Villarreal is beyond stupid.
I am not even going to argue that Ole should be sacked now. I don't know who is available that I want. The three managers I would have liked, (Tuchel, Nagglesman and Poch) have been snapped up.
What I am 100% convinced of is that we will not challenge under this manager, never mind winning big trophies. I can put my house on it. I am convinced he isn't good enough. When the club come to that realisation is up to them, I have made peace with it.

wolvored

I have never regretted United winning a match but now I do for winning against PSG in Paris. Managers like Pep, Tauchel, and Klopp have managed big clubs and have the experienced of winning or playing in huge competitions. The very top players want to win trophies. Does anyone seriously think that a player would come to United to win trophies if they have the option of going to City, Chelsea or Liverpool? They would not accept Ole as a top manager.
I said this at the time that we would have been better winning at Arsenal and got slaghtered on here. All it did was show a sliver of blue sky on a cloudy morning that had most people thinking everything would be sunny in the afternoon. It was a fluke result.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
To me as a manager he doesn't seem to be able to think things through quick enough during a game. You have to be prepared to alter things at a minutes notice. You wonder if he decides which subs will be used during a game and when the situation isn't going the way he thought it would he is scuppered. That is why I was hinting he cannot react quick enough to a situation.
I cannot be sure but part of me thinks his reluctance to make changes to his starting XI is because he manages with fear. His comments on Wednesday was further proof to me. His comments about match winners reminded me of Moyes saying he couldn't take of an injured RVP because of what people would say.
Yes you had your match winners on but it was clearly not working. I think he fears losing.
Like Moyes, I have a feeling that fear also boils down to the fact that they both don't think they were qualified when getting the job. Because of that, they have no arrogance. Top managers have that arrogance and that arrogance is what allows them to gamble. Solskjaer never gambles, especially in crunch matches.

DomesticTadpole

I cannot be sure but part of me thinks his reluctance to make changes to his starting XI is because he manages with fear. His comments on Wednesday was further proof to me. His comments about match winners reminded me of Moyes saying he couldn't take of an injured RVP because of what people would say.
Yes you had your match winners on but it was clearly not working. I think he fears losing.
Like Moyes, I have a feeling that fear also boils down to the fact that they both don't think they were qualified when getting the job. Because of that, they have no arrogance. Top managers have that arrogance and that arrogance is what allows them to gamble. Solskjaer never gambles, especially in crunch matches.
The McFred duo proves that he goes into games scared of losing.

King Kendrick

Supports
Eredivisie
Completely agree, but I do think the United job and the scrutiny it’s surrounded by do add an extra layer of pressure that wouldn’t come about otherwise. You can point to specific games in everyone’s tenure. Moyes and Fulham (although in general he played scared), LVG after Leicester, JoMo after Sevilla, and now Ole.

Skills

Snitch
I agree, i think someone said on here after the Europa League final too - he's afraid of influencing the game. Like you said he himself probably knows, he's nowhere near good enough - and his approach to management is just 'don't cock it up'

dove

Now there’s something I’d never thought I’d see.

Envious of Chelsea, a managerial roundabout club.

Seen it all now
Of course we are envious. They are the most successful club in 21st century. While we are being held back by our club "values", they keep winning. Ole should have already been sacked multiple times, we had some truly horrible spells with him in charge. But since we believe in that "he needs at least 5 years and his own starting XI to at least challenge for trophies" nonsense, we have missed on yet another good manager who was available. I have no idea why some of our fans are so attached to the manager. Is it because of what Fergie said in his speech? 2.5 years without a single trophy should never be accepted at Manchester United but here we are, about to offer a contract extension. Darkest days for the club are yet to come I am afraid.

The Oracle

Not really, we’ve spent nearly a billion pounds since SAF retired and what do we have to show for it?
I forgot to mention the ruthless streak part...

Abramovic millions + ruthless streak (moving manager's on without hesitation) = Trophies

DomesticTadpole

I would give him a pass on that. Our midfield is weak and he might dwell the need to support Bruno. We also don't have a DM.
I can see that, so don't let them renew Matic and get a DM in. He has gone along with some really odd decisions. Renewing Mata, renewing Jones. All taking up wages, then he does not trust a bench he helped to build. I think he has the clubs welfare at heart, but the longer he has been in the job I start to think he has become very risk averse to secure his job.

I forgot to mention the ruthless streak part...

Abramovic millions + ruthless streak (moving manager's on without hesitation) = Trophies
Yeah Roman doesn’t muck about, he has high standards. That’s the difference between them and us unfortunately

Last edited:

Giggsyking

Now there’s something I’d never thought I’d see.

Envious of Chelsea, a managerial roundabout club.

Seen it all now
What a joke of a post. So you rather have a serial bottler as a manager and win feck all instead of constant success of a team with multiple managers!
Seen it all now

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
What a joke of a post. So you rather have a serial bottler as a manager and win feck all instead of constant success of a team with multiple managers!
Seen it all now
Serial Bottler :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just got to a final of a EL & our highest league position for a few years and he’s a bottler.

Sure we’ve got to a few semi finals but now we’ve got to a final and lost on penalties, if that’s not even more signs of progress I don’t know what is. Less of a bottler than the CAF’s guilty love Brendan Rogers!

This forum expects insane success with the players that we have, it ain’t gonna happen. Ole needs players and he needs investment this summer.

Tuchel would NOT have won the EL with these players. They’re not good enough. We need more Bruno standard players which we don’t have.

stw2022

He seems terrified to do anything. When was the last time he responded to events in a match and changed shape, shifted tactical focus, made a change that wasn’t either like for like or planned in advance?

Half the time he doesn’t move. When did he last pull someone off for a poor performance?

He does nothing. He notices nothing. He changes nothing. His in-game management literally ends when he hands in his team sheet.

Our tactical approach after two and a half years is ‘let’s hope our XI beats theirs and Bruno has a good game “

I wince every time someone talks about our “progress” under him. Our progress has been Liverpool’s injury table.

We’re a shit , directionless , tactically nondescript outfit and the poorest side to finish second in this league probably in 20 years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.