Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

worldinmotion66

He’s reached 4 semi finals’ to Mourinho’s 3. And Mourinho got two trophies out of it. And at least when Jose got far in the Europa it wasn’t because we went out in the group.

Honestly it’s quite embarrassing to read the semi final finishes being praised, especially when not one of them came in the Champions League. The standards of the club have gone.
You're right, my bad. But how many semi finals has Mourinho made it to since he was sacked at United?

You can't expect to dominate forever. You can only demand progression, which we have had under Ole.

Varun

Staff
Isn't it 2024+1?

I think 3 years plus an additional year at our discretion is a bit generous. I guess time will tell but we could quite conceivably finish outside of the top four, and fans will demand a change given the investment this summer. 2+1 would be more than fair imo
We'll almost certainly have clauses for an outside top 4 finish that'll let us sack him on the cheap.

Foxbatt

Giving a manager like Ole who has reached a Final and 2nd in the PL a 3 year contract is a good idea.
The main reason is stability and also for potential incoming players. Players want to know if the manager who signed them are trusted by the club. Otherwise they won't come.
If Ole doesn't deliver then pay him compensation if that's in the contract and get rid of him.
I still don't think he is going to win the PL or the CL but giving him the contract is the right way.

Mickson

Giving a manager like Ole who has reached a Final and 2nd in the PL a 3 year contract is a good idea.
The main reason is stability and also for potential incoming players. Players want to know if the manager who signed them are trusted by the club. Otherwise they won't come.
If Ole doesn't deliver then pay him compensation if that's in the contract and get rid of him.
I still don't think he is going to win the PL or the CL but giving him the contract is the right way.
That's not really true, is it? The clubs that have won the most, such as Chelsea, Juve, Bayern, Real and Barca, have no manager stability. They change is often and with success. Players still sign for them. Having a clear identity and a very good Director of Football is the way forward. A coach, note coach, and not a manager, should just be another brick in the wall and easily replaceable (Bayern is a good example of that).

Irwin99

Wouldn't surprise me if the season started badly like last year with all the doubters saying he'll be gone during the October/November months when the horrible fixtures against Liverpool, City, Chelsea etc. all happen thick and fast, and then he goes and wins them all and saves his job again :lol:

A few more top players coming in and I expect a decent shot at the title. Wouldn't surprise me if he finally won a league cup or FA cup this season and got top 4 but I still expect the usual mad mood swings. The amount of football some of our players have had over the past year or so is a bit concerning; weird to think the season starts in just 3 weeks time.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
That's not really true, is it? The clubs that have won the most, such as Chelsea, Juve, Bayern, Real and Barca, have no manager stability. They change is often and with success. Players still sign for them. Having a clear identity and a very good Director of Football is the way forward. A coach, note coach, and not a manager, should just be another brick in the wall and easily replaceable (Bayern is a good example of that).
Well, we're not among the clubs that have won the most right now. We can match other clubs with salary and with the promise of success in the near future. Having a manager not run out of contract the season they sign, helps sell the pitch.

Also it's still possible managerial instability plays a role in a players decision to sign. I wouldn't be surprised if doubts over Koeman's is something that influenced Wijnaldum to sign for PSG, for example.

Bayern is indeed a good example of a club with a clear identity that has somewhat replaceable managers. But if you look at a club like Liverpool or City, aren't the managers the one influencing their identity playstyle-wise? Liverpool wasn't a pressing machine pre-Klopp. Pep is Pep. Tuchel has his own style of play that he's brought with him and he's been given carte blanche for.

tomaldinho1

Wouldn't surprise me if the season started badly like last year with all the doubters saying he'll be gone during the October/November months when the horrible fixtures against Liverpool, City, Chelsea etc. all happen thick and fast, and then he goes and wins them all and saves his job again :lol:

A few more top players coming in and I expect a decent shot at the title. Wouldn't surprise me if he finally won a league cup or FA cup this season and got top 4 but I still expect the usual mad mood swings. The amount of football some of our players have had over the past year or so is a bit concerning; weird to think the season starts in just 3 weeks time.
Mate, League cup and nothing else will be a poor return. This isn’t about Ole in or out anymore, this season is Ole hatching from his protective ‘rebuild’ egg and going full radge. Death or Glory.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Well, we're not among the clubs that have won the most right now. We can match other clubs with salary and with the promise of success in the near future. Having a manager not run out of contract the season they sign, helps sell the pitch.

Also it's still possible managerial instability plays a role in a players decision to sign. I wouldn't be surprised if doubts over Koeman's is something that influenced Wijnaldum to sign for PSG, for example.

Bayern is indeed a good example of a club with a clear identity that has somewhat replaceable managers. But if you look at a club like Liverpool or City, aren't the managers the one influencing their identity playstyle-wise? Liverpool wasn't a pressing machine pre-Klopp. Pep is Pep. Tuchel has his own style of play that he's brought with him and he's been given carte blanche for.
I feel like City were the best ball playing team even before Pep and Liverpool were very high pressing and attacking even under Rodgers, very high paced.

Chelsea have been reasonably efficiently pragmatic for a long time, when they have the players it gels, and it is some good stuff. Be it under Tuchel, Conte or Mourinho.

worldinmotion66

yes it is, my mistake
No worries mate!
The club have been awful with overly generous contract renewals in recent years, from De Gea's £325k to Jones' £120k a week. It's quite refreshing to see that we're not looking likely to make that same mistake with Pogba.

dove

If we get Varane then there will be absolute no excuses if he fails to win something this season. We have a very good squad so the pressure is on Ole to deliver.

crossy1686

career ending
Imagine wanting a manager sacked that has signed Bruno, Maguire, Sancho, Cavani and Varane, AND got the best out of Shaw, Rashford, Greenwood and Fred.

If rival fans hated him a whole bunch of people would change their stance in here.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Imagine wanting a manager sacked that has signed Bruno, Maguire, Sancho, Cavani and Varane, AND got the best out of Shaw, Rashford, Greenwood and Fred.

If rival fans hated him a whole bunch of people would change their stance in here.
Ultimately we want to see the brand of football improve and United challenge for all trophies, let's see if we do.

I do think Ole would make a fantastic DoF or Technical Director as well. His vision he has for the club is clearly great.

Matriac

"What star player will want to sign here" FC.
I've seen people suggest that Ole has been the reason some players have hesitated coming to us. That we get the transfers despite of him.
Of course I'm not saying they come here mostly for him. As in if he was at a lesser club they would go there over us.

But that they believe in his project and believe that there can be success here.
Likely they have also been told by their compatriots how Ole treats the players in the squad. (Which includes how much and in what way he pushes them to improve themselves.)

dove

So he got the best out of Shaw, Rashford, Greenwood and Fred, and signed top players in Bruno, Maguire, Sancho, Cavani and Varane. Surely we absolutely must expect to win something, don't you think? Or after another TOP 4 finish, crashing out of CL groups and getting into a cup semifinal we are still gonna talk about what an amazing season it was?

crossy1686

career ending
Ultimately we want to see the brand of football improve and United challenge for all trophies, let's see if we do.

I do think Ole would make a fantastic DoF or Technical Director as well. His vision he has for the club is clearly great.
Rome wasn't built in a day and all that. It's alright saying we want to play a certain way and we want to win trophies but you need the players to do so. Barcelona have never managed to get back to the tiki taka they used to play with the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol etc.

Ole know's a how to build a team. We should allow him the time to see through what he's doing here and see where we end up. One things for sure, should he get sacked at some point, the team will be way better off than it was under any other manager.

crossy1686

career ending
So he got the best out of Shaw, Rashford, Greenwood and Fred, and signed top players in Bruno, Maguire, Sancho, Cavani and Varane. Surely we absolutely must expect to win something, don't you think? Or after another TOP 4 finish, crashing out of CL groups and getting into a cup semifinal we are still gonna talk about what an amazing season it was?
We finished second and lost a final on penalties last season, with a half fit Rashford, a declining GK, Martial doing a vanishing act and McFred. We're not that far away from winning things, some results you can't just look at in black or white when there's so much grey area involved. The final being one of them.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Rome wasn't built in a day and all that. It's alright saying we want to play a certain way and we want to win trophies but you need the players to do so. Barcelona have never managed to get back to the tiki taka they used to play with the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol etc.

Ole know's a how to build a team. We should allow him the time to see through what he's doing here and see where we end up. One things for sure, should he get sacked at some point, the team will be way better off than it was under any other manager.
I agree, however I do think more was possible with the players we already had.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
It's got to the point that we have to win something now. I've argued for 2 years that Ole needs time to build his own team, he'll have done that with the additions of Varane and Sancho. He'll have brought in five first teamers. Granted there's room for improvement, but time to step up.

crossy1686

career ending
I agree, however I do think more was possible with the players we already had.
Probably? I'd be inclined to agree but Ole clearly doesn't trust the defence as we're in for two CB's and a RB this summer so maybe he's overly concerned about us getting a battering? I can't blame him to be honest. Us being on the wrong end of a few 5-0's will get you sacked fast

Matriac

By all accounts it looks like we should expect to be able to win something this season, yeah.
But I can't say it as an ultimatum, I have to look at it in context to everything else.

I.e. If City does swoop in for Kane and Grealish then they can be tough to beat over a full season. Maybe easier to beat them in cups.
But I expect us to keep somewhat pace with them.

And it would be the same for me no matter who was our manager right now.
I feel like I can't demand/expect us to win a trophy before a season starts, as in the end there can be somewhat random factors playing a role, but I will expect us to be strong contenders for it all.

dove

By all accounts it looks like we should expect to be able to win something this season, yeah.
But I can't say it as an ultimatum, I have to look at it in context to everything else.

I.e. If City does swoop in for Kane and Grealish then they can be tough to beat over a full season. Maybe easier to beat them in cups.
But I expect us to keep somewhat pace with them.

And it would be the same for me no matter who was our manager right now.
I feel like I can't demand/expect us to win a trophy before a season starts, as in the end there can be somewhat random factors playing a role, but I will expect us to be strong contenders for it all.
It will be difficult to beat City even if they don't get Kane/Graelish. But I think it's reasonable to expect us to win ~85 points and see where it takes us. Would possibly not be enough to win the league but it would be a good improvement from the last few years. We have to make a decent run in CL too. Failing to win anything will make it 5 years since we last won a trophy. It's simply too long for a club of our stature and the amount of money we spend, even Arsenal manage to win the FA cup every few years.

Brokenbeard

You keep saying this, what if.. what if..
I agree, if he fails he should go.

Some would consider loss in cl final and 5 pts from winning the league title a reason to get him sacked. It depends on what you consider a failed season.

I firmly believed he would get sacked after last year transfer window. He shouldnt be able to get 2 place with that team. Then Bruno arrived and changed it. He was set up to fail before that.

You agree with the progress on the players, but still your imagination wanderers.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

Unlike some fans, "winning" the transfer window isn't a trophy for some of us. How many 'sure things' have we signed over the last few years that have flopped? There's question marks over VDB, James, Maguire and AWB. Some players have gone backwards under Ole, some improved. The jury is still well and truly out.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Probably? I'd be inclined to agree but Ole clearly doesn't trust the defence as we're in for two CB's and a RB this summer so maybe he's overly concerned about us getting a battering? I can't blame him to be honest. Us being on the wrong end of a few 5-0's will get you sacked fast
True, however our defence was quite good in 18/19 and mainly 19/20 I believe. It was very poor in 20/21, not really much of a pattern to see there.

OleBoiii

There's question marks over VDB, James, Maguire and AWB.
What question mark is there over Maguire now? The last question mark was whether or not the sun actually orbits his head, but I think NASA debunked that.

Idxomer

It's got to the point that we have to win something now. I've argued for 2 years that Ole needs time to build his own team, he'll have done that with the additions of Varane and Sancho. He'll have brought in five first teamers. Granted there's room for improvement, but time to step up.
Arguably seven f you include Cavani and Henderson, he could really field a team just of players who weren't at the club before him.

OleBoiii

Whether you were a fan of Ole in the summer of 2019 or not the general consensus was that we needed 5 or 6 new players for the starting XI then. This never really changed and now we are finally very close. It's remarkable how we at least up until now have improved significantly for each first team player that we add.

- First came AWB and Maguire. The improvements were less obvious because our only creator at the time(Pogba) became injured long-term almost immediately, but it's quite clear that they were good signings that improved us.

- Then came Bruno in the winter and we improved massively. 3 players in, 3 to go.

- Then we made a few mistakes(imo) in the summer of 2020. We should have gotten at least one secure starter. Cavani was a good addition, but he's not really the same level as the 3 above. Telles did well to light a fire under Shaw's ass, but that's about it.

- This summer(so far): Sancho and Varane! Finally, after 2.5 years and 3 summers we have the 5 new starters(minimum) that we were screaming for the entire time. I'd argue that we are 1 CM/DM away from having a very good and balanced team with an acceptable bench. But we can at least challenge now!

Mickson

So Ole is magically a great coach because he may sign Varane? :confused::confused: Ole may be a decent DoF, but I haven't seen anything that makes me convinced that he's a great coach that can win the big trophies.

Blood Mage

If we get a top class DM to sit in front of a Varane/Maguire partnership, we should be winning trophies. He won't have any excuses left.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
After Ole's arrival?
I mean, yes we 'improved' and had that ridiculous run for 11 games or whatever, but he lost as many games as Mourinho and drew 1 less in just 4 more games conceding slightly less goals per game.

Despite all that, in 18/19 for 2/3s of the season our defence definitely was not quite good. But it was Lindelof, Smalling, Jones and Bailly so it's understandable.

Status
Not open for further replies.