Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJ10

You both disagree with DDG's form not being on Ole, and Ole making the correct call to stand by him then...?

Or maybe you just jumped with your usual zeal without actually reading the post properly?

Regarding Smalling, Young, Jones contracts I disagree. If the manager passionately didn't want them I'm sure he could have stepped in and at least postponed them.

He was at the club, working with them day in-day out. FFS he's sitting smiling with them in the contract renewal photos!

To suggest he's just some little idiot that sits there smiling while players he knows he won't want are given new contracts is actually so fecking patronizing to him.

There is a very worrying theme emerging here of literally anything negative that's happening in Ole's reign being not his fault, and anything good, solely his doing.

Some of you need to get your heads out of the sand and support what's best for the club, rather than what's best to defend a sub-par manager who's already making very questionable decisions.
Although I agree we have too many average players and they must be sold but in what world are you living in if you think a business will let its assets go for free? (regardless of how much they might bring in)

This isn't Fifa.

Rusholme Ruffian

A team doing worse than us that he built. But let's get him instead of Ole who hasn't been given a proper chance yet.

If poch had been interim manager, with those results would we have appointed him permanently?
Are you for real? The last 15 games represents about 5% of Pochettino's time at Spurs, whereas it represents around 50% of Ole's time at United. Only a fool would use a sample size of 5% to judge somebody.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Yeah, for me you stand by DDG, he's a great player and he's basically given Ole some important results (Spurs comes to mind).

Young playing every game as captain and being given a new contract - on Ole

Jones new contract - on Ole

Smalling new contract - on Ole

Mata apparently new contract - on Ole

The football we're watching after 4/5 months of coaching - on Ole

DDG wobble - not on Ole, and the right thing is to stand by him.
:lol: How is Ole responsible for the contract that was signed before he was even hired as care taker manager.

roonster09

Scout
Young/Smalling/Jones all signed before Ole was made permanent. Mata would be a useful squad member for one season.

Usual load of cobblers from you, though.
Smalling was signed when Jose was manager.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Although I agree we have too many average players and they must be sold but in what world are you living in if you think a business will let its assets go for free? (regardless of how much they might bring in)

This isn't Fifa.
Listen, we're at the point where this club's wage structure has been mismanaged so damn badly that some of these players will need to be let go free if you wanna get rid of them.

You think Young, Jones, Smalling, Martial were given new contracts so we can sell them for more...? Get real.

They'll be here next season, sitting on over-paid contracts, and in some cases, I fecking bet you they'll be first team players still.

The reality is that if any manager wants to sort this squad out, with our current wage structure, some players' contracts should be left to run down - and I'd put it to you that Jones, Young and Mata are exactly those type of players - all signed under Ole (with Ole publicly stating he wants Mata renewal).

R'hllor

There are few issues and those are on Ole, no hiding from it, no way of spinning it. Things like its not his squad and he didnt have a single transfer window stands in the same time. This whole thing where posters being split in 1 or 0 is just mental, fecking insane.

Ban

:lol: How is Ole responsible for the contract that was signed before he was even hired as care taker manager.
Not only that. Apparent Mata contract is on him too. You have to give it to him, he's been persistent in his anti Ole crusade.

roonster09

Scout
Not only that. Apparent Mata contract is on him too. You have to give it to him, he's been persistent in his anti Ole crusade.
Yeah, it's odd. I mean at least wait for a season when he gets few players of his choice and gets proper preseason with the team.

Ban

Yeah, it's odd. I mean at least wait for a season when he gets few players of his choice and gets proper preseason with the team.
He's not the only one, we already have a small camp. Hopefully they won't have much to talk about next season. Although I'm sure they'll spin everything in their favor.

roonster09

Scout
He's not the only one, we already have a small camp. Hopefully they won't have much to talk about next season. Although I'm sure they'll spin everything in their favor.
That much is obvious, like @bleedred posted, how his lack of experience or his failure at cardiff was used for and against Ole by same poster.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Listen, we're at the point where this club's wage structure has been mismanaged so damn badly that some of these players will need to be let go free if you wanna get rid of them.

You think Young, Jones, Smalling, Martial were given new contracts so we can sell them for more...? Get real.

They'll be here next season, sitting on over-paid contracts, and in some cases, I fecking bet you they'll be first team players still.

The reality is that if any manager wants to sort this squad out, with our current wage structure, some players' contracts should be left to run down - and I'd put it to you that Jones, Young and Mata are exactly those type of players - all signed under Ole (with Ole publicly stating he wants Mata renewal).
Log off. You're only making yourself look sillier now.

We can't afford to let half the squad go for free. Just bad business sense.

We can't also fix this mess in one summer. Like it or not but there are going to be players you, I and everyone else want gone still here next season.

Stick to FIFA, pal.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Do you really think on an internet forum dedicated to all things Manchester United people will have to at least a season before they can give their opinion? People had strong opinions against previous manager too, and they starting propping pretty soon. It is no different to what is going on with Ole, people have certain reservations about him mainly due to the fact how he ended up in this job and how chaotic we look tactically.

An imprint of the manager is visible pretty soon, we saw it with van Gaal and Jose themselves. Pep has sold more than half the squad which he inherited in his first season but he still produced which is leagues beyond what we've seen under any manager. I along with others don't see what he's trying to do on pitch, we look every bit as clueless as we did under Jose. No chemistry, no ideas, nothing.

AJ10

I agree they need to be sold but You really are living in a different world if you think a business will let its assets go for free.

Get real? you really need to get of Fifa.

roonster09

Scout
Do you really think on an internet forum dedicated to all things Manchester United people will have to at least a season before they can give their opinion? People had strong opinions against previous manager too, and they starting propping pretty soon. It is no different to what is going on with Ole, people have certain reservations about him mainly due to the fact how he ended up in this job and how chaotic we look tactically.

An imprint of the manager is visible pretty soon, we saw it with van Gaal and Jose themselves. Pep has sold more than half the squad which he inherited in his first season but he still produced which is leagues beyond what we've seen under any manager. I along with others don't see what he's trying to do on pitch, we look every bit as clueless as we did under Jose. No chemistry, no ideas, nothing.

People keep repeating this "imprint" and ignore how we looked in first few weeks before our players started to get injured in bunches. That's when we moved back to old style and dropped playing with high intensity (before we used to out run and make more sprints than opponents, which changed later)

Of course you have to wait and give time for manager time, it was given for everyone. Go and check how good Van Gaal's start to the season was in 2014-15, it was 13 points in 10 games but still he got time as team was still adapting to his methods. Similarly we went on shit runs under Jose many times in first season still got benefit of doubt.

You can make any number of tactical plans, it means nothing when your players are gassed out at half time.

When Poch, Conte, Pep or any manager takes over, first thing they do is work on players fitness. Did Solskjaer get the time to do that? No. Just FYI, ManUtd ended up in 20th position in distance covered in last 2 seasons, that should tell us how shit our fitness is.

Classical Mechanic

It’s a worry, the vibe around the club at the moment. It’s Moysian. Since the collapse in form we’ve become a figure of fun. I’ve heard it referred to as ‘the meme trophy’. We desperately need to get top 4 because if we are in Europa with Ole at the helm, we could struggle big time to attract the right players.

JustAGuest

Meant in response to it being used as a negative for Ole, as your comment is true - contract signed 4 days before Ole was appointed. Unfortunately seeing quite a few of these negatives being crafted out of thin air around here (not saying there aren't legit concerns as well).

wolvored

Still is he even worth it? How can we ever push the survival of the fittest and the best thing if we keep giving contracts to tripe like Mata, Young and Jones?
I agree. We need to get away from 'jobs for the boys' and get in players that consistently improve us

Rhyme Animal

Log off. You're only making yourself look sillier now.

We can't afford to let half the squad go for free. Just bad business sense.

We can't also fix this mess in one summer. Like it or not but there are going to be players you, I and everyone else want gone still here next season.

Stick to FIFA, pal.
Hit ignore if someone holding a different to your own bothers you that much, it'll save you posting rude, immature garbage like this.

I agree they need to be sold but You really are living in a different world if you think a business will let its assets go for free.

Get real? you really need to get of Fifa.
Again, cool it with the offish, rude remarks, you're on a forum where the point is discussion and if hearing opposing views bothers you that much you need to take a look at yourself and wonder why you're even here.

You haven't engaged my point about our wage structure making it incredibly difficult to actually sell the dross - neither has poster above you.

My point is that you won't sell them - not on the wages they've been erroneously handed out by our club. Some of them will need to go for free, and instead they're being given new contracts.

And for what it's worth, I'm a man approaching 40 who hasn't played a Fifa game since the early '00s... I've supported Utd since the mid 80s (before Ferguson), which I would wager is longer than a lot of the loud mouth zealots on here :)

wolvored

Both Jones and Young were given contracts during Ole time, same with Mata. Which is a kick in the teeth both to his 'survival of the fittest and the best' and 'trusting the youths thing' . Meanwhile we are expected to do better with just 4-5 signings while forgetting that others, who got a better squad and better people at the wheel then some Cardiff failed manager and possibly Rio as DOF will be signing as many as ourselves

Considering his attitude and that of the club I'll be surprised if he doesn't feck off back to Molde by February
Think they were when Ole was interim, so may not have had a say in it and just played the happy card to make sure he got the job.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
It’s a worry, the vibe around the club at the moment. It’s Moysian. Since the collapse in form we’ve become a figure of fun. I’ve heard it referred to as ‘the meme trophy’. We desperately need to get top 4 because if we are in Europa with Ole at the helm, we could struggle big time to attract the right players.
Here’s an idea. Anyone who ever uses the phrase “meme trophy” you block out your life forever. You’d be happier and you’d speak to less idiots.

wolvored

Yeah, i am still trying to understand what went wrong here. I think( maybe only me in this forum) that he should have stayed one more season. With good transfers that summer, who knows...
Leicester beating us by 5 goals was when he changed

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
People keep repeating this "imprint" and ignore how we looked in first few weeks before our players started to get injured in bunches. That's when we moved back to old style and dropped playing with high intensity (before we used to out run and make more sprints than opponents, which changed later)

Of course you have to wait and give time for manager time, it was given for everyone. Go and check how good Van Gaal's start to the season was in 2014-15, it was 13 points in 10 games but still he got time as team was still adapting to his methods. Similarly we went on shit runs under Jose many times in first season still got benefit of doubt.

You can make any number of tactical plans, it means nothing when your players are gassed out at half time.

When Poch, Conte, Pep or any manager takes over, first thing they do is work on players fitness. Did Solskjaer get the time to do that? No. Just FYI, ManUtd ended up in 20th position in distance covered in last 2 seasons, that should tell us how shit our fitness is.
There was no imprint or identity even in the earlier matches, we played against straight up trash sides when he got the job. Even then we were significantly overperforming in those matches, our chance creation in relation to conversion was abnormally high. Once things aligned into normality with better opponents, first performances dropped and then the result. What has Ole done to arrest that? Set us up negatively just like under Mourinho. Also, I don't buy this change is entirely down to fitness problem. Klopp took over Liverpool in October of 2015, they were playing high intensity and attacking football until late May where they ended up reaching Europa League Final. Majority on this forum were convinced that our squad is full of quality players who just need an attack minded manager to express themselves, 3 months in and everyone is shit and needs to be sold. It is not that easy. You cannot pin everything onto a manager, just like you cannot pin everything on the players. Truth is somewhere in the middle.

Also, nowhere did I say he doesn't need time or shouldn't be given one. All I am saying is that until that point, there are still valid questions to be asked. When you know a goal is all you need to get your team in CL place and you bring on duo of McTominay and Pereira, followed by Sanchez in last 10 then fans have every right to question your decision. He has made plenty of questionable decisions with regards to who he plays, who stays for next season with contract renewals and how he sets us up. Pre-season or not, those things can be debated, certainly on a Man Utd forum.

roonster09

Scout
There was no imprint or identity even in the earlier matches, we played against straight up trash sides when he got the job. Even then we were significantly overperforming in those matches, our chance creation in relation to conversion was abnormally high. Once things aligned into normality with better opponents, first performances dropped and then the result. What has Ole done to arrest that? Set us up negatively just like under Mourinho. Also, I don't buy this change is entirely down to fitness problem. Klopp took over Liverpool in October of 2015, they were playing high intensity and attacking football until late May where they ended up reaching Europa League Final. Majority on this forum were convinced that our squad is full of quality players who just need an attack minded manager to express themselves, 3 months in and everyone is shit and needs to be sold. It is not that easy. You cannot pin everything onto a manager, just like you cannot pin everything on the players. Truth is somewhere in the middle.

Also, nowhere did I say he doesn't need time or shouldn't be given one. All I am saying is that until that point, there are still valid questions to be asked. When you know a goal is all you need to get your team in CL place and you bring on duo of McTominay and Pereira, followed by Sanchez in last 10 then fans have every right to question your decision. He has made plenty of questionable decisions with regards to who he plays, who stays for next season with contract renewals and how he sets us up. Pre-season or not, those things can be debated, certainly on a Man Utd forum.
Repeated same arguments many times. TBH not arsed to repeat the same again.

AJ10

Hit ignore if someone holding a different to your own bothers you that much, it'll save you posting rude, immature garbage like this.

Again, cool it with the offish, rude remarks, you're on a forum where the point is discussion and if hearing opposing views bothers you that much you need to take a look at yourself and wonder why you're even here.

You haven't engaged my point about our wage structure making it incredibly difficult to actually sell the dross - neither has poster above you.

My point is that you won't sell them - some of them will need to go for free, and instead they're being given new contracts.

And for what it's worth, I'm a man approaching 40 who hasn't played a Fifa game since the early '00s... I've supported Utd since the mid 80s (before Ferguson), which I would wager is longer than a lot of the loud mouth zealots on here :)
Rude remarks? :lol: Telling you, you're living in a different world if you think they'll let them go for free. How rude of me.

My point is simple which you don't seem to comprehend for someone who is nearly 40. I'll say it again for you, no business will sell its assets for free regardless of how much they may bring in. You may have a point regarding our wage structure or on anything else but United aren't owned by Oil rich arabs to whom money is nothing, we're owned by Glazers and they're not people who will let players go for free.

Its not about will they be sold or not but why would a business let its assets go for free and if they're on too much money then that doesn't mean they'll let them go for free. I know it makes sense in your head but you're talking about the Glazers not Arabs, so it makes no sense to engage in your point since its not realistic with our owners.

Member 117203

My point is that you won't sell them - not on the wages they've been erroneously handed out by our club. Some of them will need to go for free, and instead they're being given new contracts.

I agree that shifting high earners can be problematic. Perhaps loaning them out with an option to buy could be done, halving wages and freeing up squad places for younger players.

Rhyme Animal

Rude remarks? :lol: Telling you, you're living in a different world if you think they'll let them go for free. How rude of me.

My point is simple which you don't seem to comprehend for someone who is nearly 40. I'll say it again for you, no business will sell its assets for free regardless of how much they may bring in. You may have a point regarding our wage structure or on anything else but United aren't owned by Oil rich arabs to whom money is nothing, we're owned by Glazers and they're not people who will let players go for free.

Its not about will they be sold or not but why would a business let its assets go for free and if they're on too much money then that doesn't mean they'll let them go for free. I know it makes sense in your head but you're talking about the Glazers not Arabs, so it makes no sense to engage in your point since its not realistic with our owners.
Yeah, rude remarks, which have continued in your above post.

I'll spell it out as straight forwardly as I can for you and then we'll leave it at that, as I don't appreciate the tone of a lot of the posts in here at present - you and a number of other posters are becoming increasingly rude, defensive and pedantic and to be honest it stunts any intelligent debate.

But anyway, here goes, again...

In order to sort this, specific squad, and 'be ruthless', you will need to let a number of dross players go for free due to the ridiculous wages they're sat on.

You will save the money of their wages by letting them go for free, you will no longer need to pay wages to (for example) Young, Jones, Mata, Smalling - and over a year you will save millions of pounds from doing that.

If you give them new, fat contracts, you will find it even harder to sell them, and you will be contracted to continue paying their stacked wages for even longer.

To fix this squad you will need to cut losses, you will need proper leadership, and you will need to invest after cutting losses.

Sitting on your keyboard and whining that 'businesses don't let players go for free' is, firstly incorrect - Ander Herrera, an actually useful player is going for free to PSG this fecking Summer. Something that appears to've slipped your mind in your panic to keep yammering the same point over and over again.

And secondly, it ignores the actual context of the situation...

Either this is a broken squad, or it isn't. And if it is, you will never, ever fix it by handing out juicy new contracts to the fecking players that make up the dross.

If it isn't, then great, but then you have a problem, because then results must come down solely to Ole, and it appears that any length will be gone to on here at the moment to avoid doing that...!

Please, actually read the above points before wading back in.

I'm fine with you holding a different opinion, but please present it by tackling the actual meat of my post, and dealing with the actual reality of this squad and this club.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Agreed on all points.
I was very disappointed when Woodward pulled funding and accepted that top 4 was good enough.
It was pretty clear that Woodward did not share the same ambition as Jose.
Jose wanted to go for the title this season,while Woodward wanted save money.
Well said. I couldn't have put it better myself.
I thought that I was pretty much the odd one out on this issue so it is good to read that this is not the case.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
we have enough players on the wane who think they can become coaches or managers simply because they used to play for us and they can smile a lot. Sky and BT are filled with these sort of people.
I can understand that view.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
The biggest problem at Manchester United right now are the owners.. They are the people who are running the club, anyone can see that the club is being run very badly, everyone knows who is running the club. Things are not going to get any better until these shirt sellers are sent packing. Ed Woodward is their hand at the club, and he has been responsible for recruiting new players for many years now. Our performance on the pitch shows us that he is a guy without a clue, regarding football matters. He has done a first class job in bringing cash into the club and it shows that the cash coming in is more important than club success. WE are not a club in search of trophies, we are a club in search of cash. WE need the idiot out as soon as possible his aim is not to win trophies but to sell shirts in his own words...https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ews/ed-woodward-manchester-united-can-6373895

AJ10

Yeah, rude remarks, which have continued in your above post.

I'll spell it out as straight forwardly as I can for you and then we'll leave it at that, as I don't appreciate the tone of a lot of the posts in here at present - you and a number of other posters are becoming increasingly rude, defensive and pedantic and to be honest it stunts any intelligent debate.

But anyway, here goes, again...

In order to sort this, specific squad, and 'be ruthless', you will need to let a number of dross players go for free due to the ridiculous wages they're sat on.

You will save the money of their wages by letting them go for free, you will no longer need to pay wages to (for example) Young, Jones, Mata, Smalling - and over a year you will save millions of pounds from doing that.

If you give them new, fat contracts, you will find it even harder to sell them, and you will be contracted to continue paying their stacked wages for even longer.

To fix this squad you will need to cut losses, you will need proper leadership, and you will need to invest after cutting losses.

Sitting on your keyboard and whining that 'businesses don't let players go for free' is, firstly incorrect - Ander Herrera, an actually useful player is going for free to PSG this fecking Summer. Something that appears to've slipped your mind in your panic to keep yammering the same point over and over again.

And secondly, it ignores the actual context of the situation...

Either this is a broken squad, or it isn't. And if it is, you will never, ever fix it by handing out juicy new contracts to the fecking players that make up the dross.

If it isn't, then great, but then you have a problem, because then results must come down solely to Ole, and it appears that any length will be gone to on here at the moment to avoid doing that...!

Please, actually read the above points before wading back in.

I'm fine with you holding a different opinion, but please present it by tackling the actual meat of my post, and dealing with the actual reality of this squad and this club.
Once again....how rude of me. :lol:

and here its goes...

Ander has been offered a contract but he doesn't want to sign it and thats why he's going to PSG not because we want to let him go for free..... the difference between Andre's situation and the likes of jones/young Who were offered a contract >> they agreed while Ander didn't (who knew a player actually had to agree to a contract, shocking revelation). Can't make this any clearer for you but since you decided to make this point, your level is ignorance is shocking.

In order to be ruthless you need owners who are behind the plan like city's owners were when they let some players go for free.

We don't have those owners, we have leeches.

Instead of spending your time writing your dribble, you should just focus on the reality of this club>> We have Glazers not Arabs.

You're busy being too precious that you're forgetting I don't disagree with your point but that we don't have Owners who will ever let anyone go for free (already explained ander's situation to you). I am dealing with the actual reality of this club while you're too busy Day dreaming about United having owners who will let players go for free.

Anyways, I am done with you since all you're doing is repeating the same stuff but forgetting to you're not dealing with the actual reality of this club.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.