Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Existing evidence. You mean you formed an opinion based entirely on the 4 months he has been in charge?

Nevermind that hasn't had a transfer window to begin building his own team yet, or a pre-season to whip the existing players into shape and indoctrinating his philosophy onto them.

Give the guy a fair chance. You may be surprised at the results.
I think can you can certainly start drawing some initial conclusions in the time he has been here so far.

While of course we already knew that he possesses no prior experience at this level the awful recent results have been caused in no small part by his complete lack of tactical nous, poor team selections and all round mismanagement of the squad.

The early signs are deeply troubling and no one seems to be able provide any reasons of substance why this should improve in the near future or the longer term. On that basis is giving him a 'fair chance' even a good idea? Quite probably not and more likely will have a negative result of significant proportions.

Either way platitudes such as this are not a substitute for a convincing argument as to why he is the right man for the job when all the early indicators suggest that he simply isn't.

Last edited:

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Once again....how rude of me. :lol:

and here its goes...

Ander has been offered a contract but he doesn't want to sign it and thats why he's going to PSG not because we want to let him go for free..... the difference between Andre's situation and the likes of jones/young Who were offered a contract >> they agreed while Ander didn't (who knew a player actually had to agree to a contract, shocking revelation). Can't make this any clearer for you but since you decided to make this point, your level is ignorance is shocking.

In order to be ruthless you need owners who are behind the plan like city's owners were when they let some players go for free.

We don't have those owners, we have leeches.

Instead of spending your time writing your dribble, you should just focus on the reality of this club>> We have Glazers not Arabs.

You're busy being too precious that you're forgetting I don't disagree with your point but that we don't have Owners who will ever let anyone go for free (already explained ander's situation to you). I am dealing with the actual reality of this club while you're too busy Day dreaming about United having owners who will let players go for free.
We disagree, and I just find your overall tone unpleasant and annoying to listen to, so am gonna hit ignore after this reply - but no offense intended and wish you well.

You're writing as though contracts just hand themselves out, the club has chosen to offer Young, Jones, Smalling, Mata new contracts, and at the same time, the club has chosen to not match Herrera's PSG offer.

You let 3 or 4 of those dross players walk and you've got money to reinvest, perhaps paying more to seniors like Herrera, perhaps not.

Your ludicrous and oddly dogmatic stance that "the Glazers have to offer juicy contracts to the dross because otherwise they'll walk for free", no matter how many times you keep bleating it, is utter nonsense.

Indeed, the club is losing money through these players...

They are over-paid, by far
They are unmarketable
They won't win major trophies
No-one will buy them on the wages you're giving them
You've just committed to pay their wages for more years still to come

Handing out new contracts to the dross is losing money.

The argument that because the Glazers are ruthless capitalists, they can't let contracts run down is, quite simply, idiotic. Perhaps you're arguing for argument's sake, I'm not sure, but I can't spell it out any clearer for you than this.

Anyway, cheers, and have a good one.

elnorte

Freaky fly day

Not impressed by these latest comments.
I remember the reaction to Moyes making similar statements. Lowering the expectations of fans to protect himself. You could argue that Ole's latest remarks are a worse example of that very practice.

Allas8

I don't like those comments.

We shouldn't worry about those teams below us.
This is what he said by the way:

“We have to make sure that we are getting closer and moving that way up the table and not looking over the shoulders because there are big clubs, good clubs wanting to chase that top six.

“You’ve got Leicester, Everton, Watford, probably Newcastle, you’ve got clubs that want to chase us. We have to make sure that we are ones who chase those ahead of us.”

lundo88

Okay he was asked about being 20 odd points behind the leaders, he said he wants to close the gap above but teams below will want to close to the top 6, that article and headline is mad.

JustAGuest

“We have to make sure that we are getting closer and moving that way up the table and not looking over the shoulders because there are big clubs, good clubs wanting to chase that top six.

“You’ve got Leicester, Everton, Watford, probably Newcastle, you’ve got clubs that want to chase us. We have to make sure that we are ones who chase those ahead of us.”
The headline is quite misleading.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
It's the fact that he's even considering the teams below which it a real worry. Certainly no less so than saying we'll make it hard for Newcastle a couple of days before a home game against them.

el3mel

Not gonna lie. Terrible comments. Could have worded it better.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
It's the fact that he's even considering the teams below which it a real worry. Certainly no less so than saying we'll make it hard for Newcastle a couple of days before a home game against them.
Yeah, it is not like he has to consider them, I mean we're not going to play them next season anyways so why even acknowledge these mediocre clubs. Have a reality check, these comments are spot on. We do have to worry about these teams because if we're not careful we're going to end up with them. They are not that far off. I don't understand the sentiment, like we are currently in some sort of title race and he is lowering the expectations because he is not a good manager. Moyes:lol: Totally different situation

Loublaze

ATLien
Ole sounds like a manager just selling us a piped dream that we will end up with probably a couple signings. He’s been saying the whole time that we’ve got amazing players and that we need a good preseason under our belt to magically transform us into title contenders. Don’t trust anything about this club anymore. The fact that we are considering Rio for the sporting director job makes me think we’re trying to cut some corners yet again.
I agree with everything but the part in bold as I haven't seen him say that anywhere. Ole has been saying a lot of the 'right things' about the direction the club is taking and transfer dealings, feel good things that im afraid may not come to fruition.

"There have been so many players that have been written about that we have been interested and there have been so many players' agents that have been in touch with our administration that they want to come here.

"When we decide what we have to do, hopefully we will get them by preseason."

https://www.skysports.com/football/...already-in-touch-about-signing-for-man-united

I got a chill reading that, because it reminded me of something Moyes said during his time here:

"The amount of big players wanting to join United is incredible," Moyes said. "Maybe players want to go for the money to other clubs but if you ask them where they really want to be: they want to wear the badge of Manchester United.

http://en.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/275141.html

Sounds like lip service to me. I'll believe it when I see it. Its also sad seeing Rio linked to an important position he has zero experience in. This club will never learn.

Last edited:

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Yeah, it is not like he has to consider them, I mean we're not going to play them next season anyways so why even acknowledge these mediocre clubs. Have a reality check, these comments are spot on. We do have to worry about these teams because if we're not careful we're going to end up with them. They are not that far off. I don't understand the sentiment, like we are currently in some sort of title race and he is lowering the expectations because he is not a good manager. Moyes:lol: Totally different situation
Yes, with him charge we have every chance of ending up like those other teams. That's the only sense in which those comments could possibly be described as 'spot on'. He exudes the very same dour defeatist manner that defined Moyes' tenure. Only difference is that sadly he is most likely a worse manager.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Yes, with him charge we have every chance of ending up like those other teams. That's the only sense in which those comments could possibly be described as 'spot on'. He exudes the very same dour defeatist manner that defined Moyes' tenure. Only difference is that sadly he is most likely a worse manager.
Wow, that is. Something. I haven't paid much attention on the forum lately but I gather that the hate for the new manager has gotten a lot of traction lately then? Jesus:lol:

croadyman

I really wish Ole wouldn't talk about Utd as being chased by those teams,just goes to show how far we have fallen

I want Ole to do well and liked what he said about some players just not being good enough,however he follows it up by talking up our deadwood as leaders.

I also found it a bit strange how he initially talked about not believing the quality of players who want to sign,however is now saying players who only want to sign due to champions league are not right for the club.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Nothing wrong with what he said. We are closer to the likes of Wolves, Everton, and Leicester in quality than we are to City and Liverpool.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Nothing wrong with what he said. We are closer to the likes of Wolves, Everton, and Leicester in quality than we are to City and Liverpool.
We are, but the concern is the transfer activity will be sub-par and the gulf in quality widens more.

Honestly I wouldn't much be surprised if we brought in Rice Lozano Tielemans Trippier and another whilst staying exactly where we are now.

(and this is being generous assuming 5 transfers when Ole says he knows it won't be something like 6 transfers anyway).

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Yeah. We have mostly done well against the big clubs but struggled heavy against the smaller clubs and mid table clubs. Almost like our players take their position for granted and get complacent against smaller clubs, which ends up in us not getting enough points to transcend top 4 and compete for the title. Happens every year. We have to be more realistic and not delusional and work together from there. He is not saying we should aspire to be as good as Wolves in a few years or anything crazy.

MisterLupus

Those comments are bad if you judge them based on where our team should be at - where we all wish it to be. However that's not where we actually are now is it? United was a struggling mid-table team when Ole came in - three points away from the bottom half and eleven off the top-four. You have to see those comments in connection with where we actually are at this point. People are still acting as if United is a top club dominating the league and that success is a guarantee. We're not - and we haven't been for years. In fact we were caught in misery and spiraling by the time Ole came in so even though we definitely should aspire to be at the top it's pretty delusional to judge anything he says or does as if we were already there. I'm actually relieved with such comments because it means at least he has a realistic view as to where we are and you can't fix anything unless you first acknowledge that it is in fact broken.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Those comments are bad if you judge them based on where our team should be at - where we all wish it to be. However that's not where we actually are now is it? United was a struggling mid-table team when Ole came in - three points away from the bottom half and eleven off the top-four. You have to see those comments in connection with where we actually are at this point. People are still acting as if United is a top club dominating the league and that success is a guarantee. We're not - and we haven't been for years. In fact we were caught in misery and spiraling by the time Ole came in so even though we definitely should aspire to be at the top it's pretty delusional to judge anything he says or does as if we were already there. I'm actually relieved with such comments because it means at least he has a realistic view as to where we are and you can't fix anything unless you first acknowledge that it is in fact broken.
Good post, mate. You have to admit you have a problem before you can fix it! That old chestnut, and it very much applies here.

Paul_Scholes18

He did sound so positive at the start, but it seems to have changed recently.
We should aim to fight for things next season. Sure we might not manage to go all the way, but we should at least try.

Have a feeling this could end badly. Confidence in our player have been gone recently and with these comments the confidence in us fans might go down too.

el3mel

Any manager will be eaten alive for comments like these, let's be honest. I get he wanted to say we should chase the top etc but could have worded it far better.

Paul_Scholes18

Any manager will be eaten alive by comments like these, let's be honest. I get he wanted to say we should chase the top etc but could have worded it far better.
I would have liked him to talk about us trying to win it. Maybe saying that the bar has been very high this season and that we have a lot of work to do to reach the top.

el3mel

I would have liked him to talk about us trying to win it. Maybe saying that the bar has been very high this season and that we have a lot of work to do to reach the top.
Exactly. There were far better ways to say what he meant than what he actually did here.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Except we were 11 points off fourth and level with Everton and Leicester when he took over. Any more shitty predictions?
Like a boring one you've heard before and actually secretly agree with but won't admit to?

Ok, here goes. He'll be an absolute disaster and will be sacked by Christmas.

Eddy_JukeZ

I honestly have zero expectations for next season.

I hope I am massively wrong though.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Does anyone know anything about his Molde teams in terms of fitness? He keeps talking about pre-season as pivotal to his getting the most out of the squad, and of course it's important, but I just wonder if we've got the expertise in the coaching staff required? And of course, we've also got players who probably aren't cut out for a high intensity game, but he might be able to alter that in the market in the summer.

hn4manunited

In my opinion, if the hierarchy sees the long road ahead on the rebuilding project, they need to show him the patience. They put him in charge, they need to back him and let him learn on the job. That’s talking with my heart. My logical side says they won’t have the patience...if they can’t back one of the winningest manager in recent history, i’m afraid Ole is doomed to fail if he doesn’t get his first window right.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
They put him in charge, they need to back him and let him learn on the job.
*shudders* The most Moyesian of all Moyesian phrases...

You don't employ managers at Manchester United to learn on the job - cmon fellas, what's happening here?

If he's good enough, he's good enough, if he's not, he's out.

We're not a fecking academy for 'learner managers'.

We're not doing Moyes...again, are we...? Surely not.

hn4manunited

*shudders* The most Moyesian of all Moyesian phrases...

You don't employ managers at Manchester United to learn on the job - cmon fellas, what's happening here?

If he's good enough, he's good enough, if he's not, he's out.

We're not a fecking academy for 'learner managers'.

We're not doing Moyes...again, are we...? Surely not.
Well, we might not want to do it but the club hierarchy sure decided to do just that. What did we all expect was gonna happen hiring a manager who hasn’t got the experience and CV. Of course Ole will be learning on the job.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I remember the reaction to Moyes making similar statements. Lowering the expectations of fans to protect himself. You could argue that Ole's latest remarks are a worse example of that very practice.
Except Ole didn't say anything close to what Telegraph headline says.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's hilarious how many people don't read past headline :lol:

bleedred

Both Jones and Young were given contracts during Ole time, same with Mata. Which is a kick in the teeth both to his 'survival of the fittest and the best' and 'trusting the youths thing' . Meanwhile we are expected to do better with just 4-5 signings while forgetting that others, who got a better squad and better people at the wheel then some Cardiff failed manager and possibly Rio as DOF will be signing as many as ourselves

Considering his attitude and that of the club I'll be surprised if he doesn't feck off back to Molde by February
I seem to remember the negotiations started way back.

Jericholyte2

I’ve got no concerns about his comments, I believe it’s addressed more to the board than any of us.

We do, unfortunately, have to worry about this. With the likes of, say, Wolves coming up with the Mendez link, you have to imagine they will progress even further. If we continue to dick about in the market as we have done recently then we will fall out of the top 6.

el3mel

I seem to remember the negotiations started way back.

He extended in Feb. That's 2.5 months in Ole's reign. More than enough time for any manager to have a say in such negotiation. Not like he extended a week or 2 after he got appointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.