Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anustart89

So it’s another moan about a missed penalty from the ref, yeah? We’ve won a ton of points thanks to penalties, but at this stage of the rebuild we shouldn’t be needing a penalty to win every game, should we? I mean, I’m a frequent moaner about the refs but the fact that our results are very, very often dependent on the referee’s decision to award a penalty or not is damning.

MattyB1986

Said this last season: Ole will take us so far but to go to the next level we will need a top class manager. He's never learnt from mistakes, football is still shocking, relying on counters/individual brilliance. We need a manager to turn this squad into an actual team now.

dinostar77

What really annoyed me was that we are at home against Villa. We have a double defensive pivot at home against villa. This isnt Chelsea or city or liverpool its villa.

Could have easily dropped one of mcfred and started pogba alongside and freed up a slot wide for Sancho. Or even gone 442 with Cavani/Ronaldo up front and gone from it from the start. Scare the cr*p out of villa. They would have buckled eventually.

He's so negative and timid with his subs, when maguire came off why bring on lindelof? Drop to a back three and throw on Sancho or Cavani.

When fergie was chasing games he'd get as many of his goalscorers on the pitch as possible. Ole leaves them on the bench. Sancho brought in to break down stubborn defences left on the bench. VDB who can play between the lines get into the box and onto the end of moves. Left on the bench.

We saw the same thing in the final against Villarreal. He has no plan b or plan c or plan d. Hes too scared to make aggressive changes.

Hes done a good job getting Utd this far, but hes at the limits of his ability. Need to go.

Frank Grimes

We were looking forward to 4 home games in a row a few days ago and we've already lost our first 2 of them. Seems we forgot that under Solskjaer our home form has been dreadful. Would love to know the stats.

The Oracle

It has now become very clear that the only reason he is still in the hot seat, is because he is a legend of the club.

You have to remember that Ole scored the winner in a match that meant Utd became the first team (and only team since) to achieve the most difficult Treble there is to win in English football.

Herein lies the issue when you hire a club legend...

Any other manager would have been long gone by now, but because of his history with Man Utd, we have to put up with poor performances on a regular basis, and no clear style of play that is recognisable; we just simply rely on individual brilliance... or a penalty.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We were looking forward to 4 home games in a row a few days ago and we've already lost our first 2 of them. Seems we forgot that under Solskjaer our home form has been dreadful. Would love to know the stats.
It was dreadful without fans, now he has the pressure of fans in the stadium.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Well we are a in a far better place than we where with Moyes LVG and Jose even though he won us two trophies- it was rotten to the core and we where much further behind than we are today.
He doesn't though. We have won feck all and dont look more cohesive on the pitch. Hes improved the team harmony and thats about it so far.

TheMitz

We lose - new manager needed!

Utter joke this fanbase.

2nd place and gradual improvement, multiple semi finals and a final

Squad in a much better place than ever before and some reason because of 1 loss we’re in free fall.

Jesus wept.

If Bruno had scored and if Villa’s goal been ruled out for offside, it’ll be a different story. Ole was fuming after the goal, but of course no one pays attention to that.
this is the worse type of supporter, calling people out for dating to criticise, it's not the Utd way when they obviously know nothong about the game. Typical prawn sandwich brigade

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Well we are a in a far better place than we where with Moyes LVG and Jose even though he won us two trophies- it was rotten to the core and we where much further behind than we are today.
You're not wrong there. He's assembled a top-draw squad that, on paper at least, can compete with anyone in Europe on their day, which is far more than LVG or Jose did. His achievements up to this point will not be forgotten regardless of how the rest of his tenure pans out. He has laid the foundation for future success with his work to date.

But now we have to ask ourselves, is he tactically astute enough to lead a squad to PL and/or CL glory, and is he a strong enough manager to lead a squad packed to the brim with larger than life characters who don't take kindly to defeat?

I have serious doubts as to whether he is that man.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Worst part is the fact that we're too incompetent to do anything. Ole should have been sacked a long time ago.

dove

It has now become very clear that the only reason he is still in the hot seat, is because he is a legend of the club.

You have to remember that Ole scored the winner in a match that meant Utd became the first team (and only team since) to achieve the most difficult Treble there is to win in English football.

Herein lies the issue when you hire a club legend...

Any other manager would have been long gone by now, but because of his history with Man Utd, we have to put up with poor performances on a regular basis, and no clear style of play that is recognisable; we just simply rely on individual brilliance... or a penalty.
It's 100% it. That's why giving legends the managerial position rarely ever works as some portion of the fanbase will be completely blind and ignorant of all the flaws they have as managers. Sacking them also becomes more difficult, especially if they are not doing THAT bad so that it would warrant a definite sacking. We are in a very dangerous situation now as we have a very good squad which is good enough to get into TOP 4 with any manager in charge. But at the same time it's clear as day we will not win anything (bar some absolute miracle in EFL or FA cup). We are stuck in this rebuilding/needs more time/needs 2-3 extra players/needs 3 more years loop. All opposition fans are laughing seeing Ole in charge which should tell us a lot because this team would be frightening with the likes of Klopp in charge.

LJJT

You're not wrong there. He's assembled a top-draw squad that, on paper at least, can compete with anyone in Europe on their day, which is far more than LVG or Jose did. His achievements up to this point will not be forgotten regardless of how the rest of his tenure pans out. He has laid the foundation for future success with his work to date.

But now we have to ask ourselves, is he tactically astute enough to lead a squad to PL and/or CL glory, and is he a strong enough manager to lead a squad packed to the brim with larger than life characters who don't take kindly to defeat?

I have serious doubts as to whether he is that man.
I don’t disagree with you at all and it’s good to see others can give him this sort of credit he deserves. I am starting to have my doubts as well but I think he’s earned this year to let us all find out

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
D
I support Man Utd through and through, through the rough and the smooth. That includes supporting the manager when things get tough, that includes supporting all of our players, regardless of ability.

Not getting the hump each time we lose and call for another manager. It’s fecking tiresome, each time I come on here after a loss it’s people frothing at the mouth for the next new shiny toy of a manager. It’s a joke. Support the team AND the manager.

What makes things worse is that this thread barely moves when we win.

I will continue to support Man Utd throughout the season and beyond. Even when we lose.
Do you think we should upgrade on Fred or Mctominay?

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
We're still over 2 points a game. We all know we've had easy opposition and should have more than we've got but he's not getting sacked on 13 points from 6 games.

Villarreal
Everton
Leicester
Atlanta
Liverpool
Spurs
Atlanta
City
Watford
Villarreal
Chelsea
Arsenal

That's the run until December. If he survives that we're probably in good shape.

LJJT

He doesn't though. We have won feck all and dont look more cohesive on the pitch. Hes improved the team harmony and thats about it so far.
And the squad, league positions, club culture, transfer strategy, respectability, made us actually likeable and supportable again. In my view

M Bison

Supports
York City
this is the worse type of supporter, calling people out for dating to criticise, it's not the Utd way when they obviously know nothong about the game. Typical prawn sandwich brigade
Disagree, the worst type of supporters are the ones that the post you quoted talked about, we lose and its Ole Out for those lot.

Reddevildans

I've been prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt and have been on the fence of Ole in Ole out for ages but I've simply had enough. He's had coming up to 3 years to imprint his style on the team. He's been given millions. Yet there's no improvement.

We have some cracking players. Some world class and some of the best upcoming players in the world, yet he can't get the best out of them. There's three main weaknesses for me: in game management, style and stubbornness (esp formation).

We continue to keep him in charge and Liverpool win number 20 I'll be devasted.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Yeah not disputing he’s a bit of a loose cannon but I’m just questioning the Inter stuff that people keep referencing.
At Inter he jumped ship the moment rumours of cuts were made. He didn't even bother investigating their project. Then he humiliated Spurs in public by saying that he hasn't signed for them because their project was not up to his standards. It's OK for a manager to ssy no to a club but there was no need to go public about it

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
It’s genuinely depressing to watch Liverpool play knowing that they have barely signed a player last couple of years while all we talk about is what we are lacking

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
It’s genuinely depressing to watch Liverpool play knowing that they have barely signed a player last couple of years while all we talk about is what we are lacking
The manager is the single most important signing a club can make. Incredible that a club that has had Fergie cannot grasp this. Everything hinges on the next manager we hire.

Ludens the Red

At Inter he jumped ship the moment rumours of cuts were made. He didn't even bother investigating their project. Then he humiliated Spurs in public by saying that he hasn't signed for them because their project was not up to his standards. It's OK for a manager to ssy no to a club but there was no need to go public about it
I mean if you’re at a club and you win the league and then they tell you they won’t sell key players cos of covid but then change their mind and tell you they’ll be selling key players cos of covid after all. I don’t think I’d be too pleased.

3 losses in our last 4 games. That's rubbish, and it's honestly embarrassing (our form / play is just poor in generel) considering the transfers we've had for a few windows now. He's crumbling under the pressure that we HAVE to succeed now. You don't buy Varane, Sancho and Ronaldo and the put in the performances we've had these last couple of games. I've never had faith in Solskjær winning us titles and he's proving me right sadly. I appreciate what he's done for us. We're definitely a healthier club. But we must challenge now if not this entire rebuild will have been for waste.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
And the squad, league positions, club culture, transfer strategy, respectability, made us actually likeable and supportable again. In my view
The squad isnt only down to him, the league position is no higher than Jose acheived just minus thr silverware and Im not sure where the respectability comes from. Pretty much all rival fans pray he stays in charge so it tells you everything about the respect hes gained in his role.

Shark

@NotShark
It's 100% it. That's why giving legends the managerial position rarely ever works as some portion of the fanbase will be completely blind and ignorant of all the flaws they have as managers. Sacking them also becomes more difficult, especially if they are not doing THAT bad so that it would warrant a definite sacking. We are in a very dangerous situation now as we have a very good squad which is good enough to get into TOP 4 with any manager in charge. But at the same time it's clear as day we will not win anything (bar some absolute miracle in EFL or FA cup). We are stuck in this rebuilding/needs more time/needs 2-3 extra players/needs 3 more years loop. All opposition fans are laughing seeing Ole in charge which should tell us a lot because this team would be frightening with the likes of Klopp in charge.
Not only that but there's a fair amount of them that are so sure they're sensible fans by not offering any criticism whatsoever. Also calling anyone that does delighted that we're still in the gutter after signing Sancho, Varane and Ronaldo in one summer. Yeah we're all absolutely delighted a club legend and his coaches are making them look like duds. There's nothing I'd want more right now than to see Ole succeed but it ain't working.

Last edited:

LARulz

Only realistic way he will go is if the media really hound on him. Problem is fans won't publicly really to avoid looking bad (like Lampard at Chelsea) and our owners won't unless they think the fans will accept it - need a third party to interfere and be the middle man

g11

The 2-0 win at City last year was one of United's best displays post-Fergie. So controlled, just bossed the game and nullified them. When we smashed Leipzig, the win at PSG...I don't think you're looking very hard.
Jippy,
I won’t try to move the goal posts with my reply but here is my take:
Ole has been in charge of Man Utd for 159 games total -
The 2-0 win at City last year was one of United's best displays post-Fergie. So controlled, just bossed the game and nullified them. When we smashed Leipzig, the win at PSG...I don't think you're looking very hard.
That 3 games out of 159 that he has been in charge of us.
and the tactics for those 3 games were not any different than any his other games - the guy only knows how to play counter attack and those three teams played right into his setup.
Looked at what happened in those Champion league returned games against PSG and Leipzigz

SAFMUTD

Only realistic way he will go is if the media really hound on him. Problem is fans won't publicly really to avoid looking bad (like Lampard at Chelsea) and our owners won't unless they think the fans will accept it - need a third party to interfere and be the middle man
I think he can lose the dressing room pretty, fast. Ronaldo for once, can't be happy at the moment. It's not just the results, the performances are dross and I just can't imagine him being quiet about it. He probably has one or two years at top level, can't see him happy about wasting them with Ole in charge.

TheMitz

Disagree, the worst type of supporters are the ones that the post you quoted talked about, we lose and its Ole Out for those lot.
Fair enough, but please tell me exactly what you're seeing in Ole that I'm missing.

At this moment all i see is a very expensive squad with no direction.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Fair enough, but please tell me exactly what you're seeing in Ole that I'm missing.

At this moment all i see is a very expensive squad with no direction.
I didnt comment on Ole one way or another, my comment was directed at the section of the fanbase that calls for a new manager every time we lose, that lot will never be happy regardless of who we bring in.

LARulz

Unlikely while you have people like Neville in his favour
Will have to be the outside media, similar way to before. But agreed that Neville and co will be extra quiet because it's their mate

I think he can lose the dressing room pretty, fast. Ronaldo for once, can't be happy at the moment. It's not just the results, the performances are dross and I just can't imagine him being quiet about it. He probably has one or two years at top level, can't see him happy about wasting them with Ole in charge.
True, but I imagine he has some tact because again he knows Ole etc. I don't know how but something really needs to change. But to be honest, I really don't care how it happens as long as we get a decent manager in

Winrar

Weak link in a stacked squad. Same issues with Ole rearing its ugly head and this time lady luck wasn't in our side to bail us out with any points.

I hope we're quietly looking for his successor but I doubt that's happening.

RedRover

As a player from what is my favourite era as a fan, I'll always like him, but looking at it objectively he'd done nothing as a manager to deserve getting the job and so far, has done nothing to suggest he's good enough for it, or will have any real success.

For me, he seems not to know what to do when plan A isn't working, other than to persist in the hope that it eventually does. Top managers see what's going on and make changes to address the problem, even if it's risky and doesn't always work. He just dithers, the Young Boys game being a good example of this.

He's been dug out of a hole time and again by individuals - usually Bruno Fernandes, and that's papered over the cracks. He's exposed now, because he's been given three world class players and he'll have to deliver. You cannot buy three players like that and not look a better side, but at the moment that's the case.

I would love it to work, but if I'm honest, I don't think it will. I think the club is treading water under him because sadly, I don't think he's not good enough tactically to get the best out of the players he has.

Its worrying that average PL sides seem to know how to play against us, whilst we don't seem to be able to break them down.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I support Man Utd through and through, through the rough and the smooth. That includes supporting the manager when things get tough, that includes supporting all of our players, regardless of ability.

Not getting the hump each time we lose and call for another manager. It’s fecking tiresome, each time I come on here after a loss it’s people frothing at the mouth for the next new shiny toy of a manager. It’s a joke. Support the team AND the manager.

What makes things worse is that this thread barely moves when we win.

I will continue to support Man Utd throughout the season and beyond. Even when we lose.
Everyone here supports United through & through, that’s why we’re still here 8 years after our last title. Suggesting the manager isn’t good enough doesn’t mean somebody is not a fan. Unless you’re suggesting we should all blindly support the direction of club & not raise any concerns whatsoever?

Chelsea replaced Frank Lampard mid way through last season, despite many fans being unsure about sacking a club legend. Do you think they made the right decision?

Status
Not open for further replies.