Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAFMUTD

Everyone with two eyes could see the results wouldn't last, we were really lucky against Southampton, Wolves and West Ham.

We have a tough schedule ahead and by December we could be out of the race. Results like today's are totally unacceptable if you want to win the premier league.

Hopefully I'm wrong but I don't see how we can improve under this manager, we have the same old problems since the beginning.

croadyman

Needs to quit moaning about not getting penalties and making excuses for this defeat, also accept the fact that keeping the ball in midfield is actually a very important part of controlling the game. He is really starting to sound like Moyes in the last days and Klopp when he used to blame factors like the grass and wind as well

FatTails

How can you be so certain? Given how poorly we've played this season, there is every change we could not make a top 4 place. It's quite an arrogant statement given the qualities we've seen recently from West Ham and Villa.
Historic precedent. We just gave him a new contract and we seem to usually have a CL qualification clause.

Things have to get really bad if we are to let him go before CL qualification is impossible.

This is my prediction, not my opinion on what should happen.

EdinburghDevil

I've been mainly Ole in but I'd be kidding myself on if I didn't think a manager of the calibre of Tuchel, Pep or Klopp wouldn't get us playing better and more consistently.

I've no idea who is available, but I just feel Ole has done his job. Steadied the ship, got the recruitment heading in the right direction. Started the clear out.

FattyFooty

Despite the selfishness, he was the one closest to looking like scoring.
Yeah, no wonder when every attack ended with him shooting wide. And not passing to teammates in better position.

I like Mason, but Fergie would sub him off. Then he would tell him that is not ok. And the next time we would se Mason he would been improved.

Im pretty sure by now Ole isnt that good at getting the best out of our players.

largelyworried

I support Man Utd through and through, through the rough and the smooth. That includes supporting the manager when things get tough, that includes supporting all of our players, regardless of ability.

Not getting the hump each time we lose and call for another manager. It’s fecking tiresome, each time I come on here after a loss it’s people frothing at the mouth for the next new shiny toy of a manager. It’s a joke. Support the team AND the manager.

What makes things worse is that this thread barely moves when we win.

I will continue to support Man Utd throughout the season and beyond. Even when we lose.
Theres little more tiring than the moral oneupmanship that goes on in here. Both people who support the manager and those that want him changed do so because they want what’s best for the club’s welfare. They just happen to have different opinions on what’s that means.

Giggsyking

One question, How do you give a person a manager job of the biggest club in the world when he has more relegations than trophies in English football?

Rockets Redglare

The only reason he doesn’t get booed and jeered is because he’s a United legend.

The fact is Ole is a bullshitter and for all of his talk about attacking and “the United way” he’s incredibly negative and tactically inept.

I would have loved it to work for Ole as he was my favourite player but that doesn’t change the fact we play some of the worst football in the league and the team looks absolutely clueless.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
The only reason he doesn’t get booed and jeered is because he’s a United legend.

The fact is Ole is a bullshitter and for all of his talk about attacking and “the United way” he’s incredibly negative and tactically inept.

I would have loved it to work for Ole as he was my favourite player but that doesn’t change the fact we play some of the worst football in the league and the team looks absolutely clueless.
Ole is a bullshitter now eh? Interesting take

largelyworried

I've no idea who is available, but I just feel Ole has done his job. Steadied the ship, got the recruitment heading in the right direction. Started the clear out.
I agree he’s done that well. I guess the question is, how much farther do you think he can take us?

LJJT

There's no hysteria. He's in his 4th season and many of us who have had enough gave a long time for him to prove himself.
Seems a lot of hysteria from what I read. Personally I think he’s got a bit more credit in the bank before we start making decisions on his future 6 games in to the league season

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Seems a lot of hysteria from what I read. Personally I think he’s got a bit more credit in the bank before we start making decisions on his future 6 games in to the league season
Maybe too difficult to imagine, but if his name was different, would he still have that credit in the bank you speak of?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Clearly! We just lost a football match and is only joint on the top of the table. Sack him now, before he can bring our top players up to speed after a COVID season end euro championship. Some of you lads are so melodramatic that your left wondering about sanity. How about just being critical of something and see how it goes this season?
So we are the only team as bloody usual who are not yet up to speed. That is the same old excuse that has been rolled out ever since Ole came.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's clear from our quality of football that we aren't a top team in the making. You often see team's that are elevated by their manager or at least glued together by him/his tactics and ideas. With Ole, it's evident that his team is barely the sum of its parts, and there's nothing in the collective that stands out, whatsoever. As individuals, we are excellent. As a team, we are nothing special.

4th season into his reign and we still are mediocre at possesion football. I've always said that this is something fundamental that a manager needs to improve at this club and Ole aside from just being an okay manager , cannot do this. Were only wasting time with Ole now, time that we can spend trying to achieve excellence. He's done well at stabilising the ship and building unity but beyond that, where we need to go, is beyond his capabilities.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
This season should be his last chance, I dont give a shit about his contract extension. If he does not come close of winning the league. Then show him the door. If we are by Christmas too far from the top, then sack him before the second part of the season start.
You know what. I agree with you

I did not want him sacked during the rebuild because i thought he had the right ideas, and i stand by that, because we have a terrific squad right now imo. But now the rebuild is done and he needs to deliver

El Zoido

He’s done a great job in steadying the ship and assembling a brilliant collection of players. The actual moment to moment football is so poor though, we can never control a game.

dove

It's not 6 games. We are seeing the exact same issues that we had 2 years ago despite replacing a big part of the team. He just cannot take us any further, how can some of you cannot see it is beyond me. Our performances always range from terrible to average. There is absolutely no chance we will win anything with him. He should have been sacked long ago but unfortunately he is still here, wasting a massive squad potential that we have, this team would be frightening with a competent manager in charge.

Blood Mage

It's difficult to see us finishing higher than 4th right now, and considering the transfer window we've just had it's beyond inexcusable. You won't hear a peep from Ole's mates in the media though. Neville, Rio, Keane and Scholes would be hammering any other manager right now.

spiriticon

Another thing I'm really fed up with is the inability to keep momentum for more than 10-15 minutes at a time. There'll be periods where we're all over the opposition and they can't get out their half but we can't seem to score, then suddenly it just seems that our players give up trying to probe and the tide turns so quickly and we're on the back foot defending for our lives. We then concede from an inevitable set piece and it's 0-1. Annoying as feck.

TheMitz

I support Man Utd through and through, through the rough and the smooth. That includes supporting the manager when things get tough, that includes supporting all of our players, regardless of ability.

Not getting the hump each time we lose and call for another manager. It’s fecking tiresome, each time I come on here after a loss it’s people frothing at the mouth for the next new shiny toy of a manager. It’s a joke. Support the team AND the manager.

What makes things worse is that this thread barely moves when we win.

I will continue to support Man Utd throughout the season and beyond. Even when we lose.
it must be great being so self righteous and saintly.

us 'plastic' fans who say it like it is, should hang our heads in shame for criticising and expecting more from this management team.

Giggsyking

I am not angry at Ole anymore, he did not give himself the job. It is the idiotic board. They gave him an extension 3 years based on no trophies. The only reason they gave him that contract is to "avoid instability" and being asked about it every press conference. But I think the manager should be on his toes and know he has one chance now, should be focused and we shouldnt have extended his contract.

LJJT

It's not 6 games. We are seeing the exact same issues that we had 2 years ago despite replacing a big part of the team. He just cannot take us any further, how can some of you cannot see it is beyond me. Our performances always range from terrible to average. There is absolutely no chance we will win anything with him. He should have been sacked long ago but unfortunately he is still here, wasting a massive squad potential that we have, this team would be frightening with a competent manager in charge.
I think he’s done well during his time as manager. We where a broken mess when he was appointed and he’s taken us a long way. I respect why others may feel he’s taken us as far as he can, but personally think he’s earned the right to see this season out, not 6 games

James Peril

I have to say it’s embarrassing how he’s talking about these penalties and decisions supposedly going against him. You’re a 48 year old man, try acting like a grown up and focus on the decisions you are able to make and influence. A wiff of entitlement as well being in charge of a big club, it’s not like he’s going about the utterly clear penalty West Ham were denied last week.

Ole the nice man everyone can like, the one losing games and blaming the universe is quite a small person.

LJJT

Maybe too difficult to imagine, but if his name was different, would he still have that credit in the bank you speak of?
As you say, it’s difficult to answer that honestly. If you look at how we’ve improved on and off the pitch since Jose though yes I’d be inclined to say he would still have that credit,

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He said in the post match conference that again, we were good to get to the final third and couldnt find the quality or the right pass. I find it hilarious that he has Ronaldo Pogba Bruno Greenwood, and if they cant find the quality between them.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I wonder what Ole thinks honestly. I suppose no manager would ever willing put his hand p and acknowledge he won't be able to take the team higher, in this game you HAVE to back yourself to be able to win titles and be a success.

I'm sure he thinks that he has done well turning the team of players we have into a better unit than it was when he came, but I wonder what he will be thinking now, he got the tools and the team and the backing to contend but he is coming up short so far.

In his own words a while back he said he would not hold the club back or something to that effect...really doubt he would actually step away from the club if he can see it's not going as he thinks it should, he will just keep going till the club sack him.
I don't know what Ole is thinking, but he can't be happy with 3 defeats in 4 games, all of which were deserved losses. If he's honest with himself, then I'm sure he'll be concerned. He has nowhere to hide with such a quality squad available to him.

Sarcasm mate. I am Ole out from his first full season as I already knew that he is no match for United.

And yes, it’s criminal to perform like this with our star-studded team.
Yes, I discovered that too late.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
What credit does he have in the bank? Hes in his 4th season with no cups and no title challenges. His football implemented with us is rocky to say the least and he doesn't have a CV to fall back on.

There is no hysteria. Fans have been ridiculously patient to get to where we are now. If it was any other club hed be sacked twice by now.

Ludens the Red

At Juventus he caused a proper fit because Juve didn't want to spend silly money on Cuadrado. His meltdowns on life TV would have made even the likes of Mourinho cringe.
Yeah not disputing he’s a bit of a loose cannon but I’m just questioning the Inter stuff that people keep referencing.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
As you say, it’s difficult to answer that honestly. If you look at how we’ve improved on and off the pitch since Jose though yes I’d be inclined to say he would still have that credit,
The off the pitch stuff, absolutely. But on the pitch, I just don't see it. If he hadn't signed Bruno he'd have already been sacked. Absolutely saved him he did. Our football by and large has been terrible. Not as terrible as van Gaal, but not too far from Mourinho, and yet, Ole came in talking about United DNA and attacking football. Counter attacking against smaller clubs. Feels like a hoax.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Worst part is that season just started and you know how it will end. Without trophies, without title challenge and with 4th spot.
Ole managed to kill joy in everything what season brings. Waiting for another game, looking how rivals did, doing math who needs to drop points and where, cup draws....

And killing blow is; when you know that this is not his last season so next year again the same. Brought good mood my ass. Give me toxic one back. Same shit football as Ole but at least with him we could win something.

LJJT

What credit does he have in the bank? Hes in his 4th season with no cups and no title challenges.
Well we are a in a far better place than we where with Moyes LVG and Jose even though he won us two trophies- it was rotten to the core and we where much further behind than we are today.

Fooza

We lose - new manager needed!

Utter joke this fanbase.

2nd place and gradual improvement, multiple semi finals and a final

Squad in a much better place than ever before and some reason because of 1 loss we’re in free fall.

Jesus wept.

If Bruno had scored and if Villa’s goal been ruled out for offside, it’ll be a different story. Ole was fuming after the goal, but of course no one pays attention to that.
If only Ole won all those semis and that final, he'd be the best manager in the world, am i right? high five!

If gang...

LJJT

The off the pitch stuff, absolutely. But on the pitch, I just don't see it. If he hadn't signed Bruno he'd have already been sacked. Absolutely saved him he did. Our football by and large has been terrible. Not as terrible as van Gaal, but not too far from Mourinho, and yet, Ole came in talking about United DNA and attacking football. Counter attacking against smaller clubs. Feels like a hoax.
Agree some games can be hard to see the United DNA philosophy but we’ve definitely scored a lot of goals and been more united like under ole than any one else

yipthatman

There's no hysteria. He's in his 4th season and many of us who have had enough gave a long time for him to prove himself.
Exactly, when you are not sure about Ole for so long but continue to support anyway, one day you lose (again) and it's the straw that broke the camels back. Nothing hysterical about it. It's almost like a realization. It's always going to come after a loss that someone changes to Ole out. I just don't think he has what it takes to organise and motivate this group of mostly stars. I actually think he is better with academy graduates that just came through and when we are the underdog.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Agree some games can be hard to see the United DNA philosophy but we’ve definitely scored a lot of goals and been more united like under ole than any one else
Agree with that. The problem I have with it is that the baseline post SAF is way too low. Comparing him to 3 failed managers is pointless. He's not really done anything special since he arrived. Won nothing, lost plenty, improved the atmosphere, bought a few players, some of whom don't seem to be ideal for his supposed vision. But what is his vision? I doubt he really knows what he wants and how he can achieve it. He's had quite a lot of time and I cannot imagine he will endure the pressure this season (even though I think the club's ambition is merely CL qualification).

Status
Not open for further replies.