Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I’m “Ole In” and think the hysterical reaction as usual is well over the top. However- he needs to stop these streaks of bad form we go on and he also needs to find a way to mix it up considerably. We’ve become too predictable
We haven't become too predictable. Weve been predictable since Ole signed his first contract bar 5 or 6 games . Thats the problem many of us have since he's been here. He's no clue how to mix it up, no clue how to respond when an opposing manager changes his tactics during a game, his in game management and subs at times is baffling and today wasn't a one off, far from it. We've played like this plenty of times but came away with results which has masked just how naive he is in the tactics department.

Many confuse getting results from the actual performance when in reality the 2 should go hand in hand after so long at the helm. Amy team can have an off day but results aside we've had an awful lot of those during his reign and even though it's still early in the season nothing much looks like it's going to change.

Polar

Only watched the first half. Very very surprised we didn’t win this one. What happened? The first half was United against a championship team.

dirkey

Haha knee jerk galore here. It is the second game of the season. If Ole fails to mount a serious title challenge this season then it is time we bid him farewell.

We need a Kante type of player and Fred isn't a long term solution nor is MCT.
Coming to the realisation yet? As mentioned earlier, same stuff,different year.

McFred at home to villa. Joke.

NZT-One

Swings and roundabouts, would you be happy with a couple finals and maybe we win 1 and come away with nothing the next two seasons?

It all depends where we finish in the league too, it's not as simplistic as that. I'd take 2, 2nd place finishes over 2 4th and 5th finishes. I mean not finishing 1st is not finishing 1st you can't change that. But if we were challenging for the title and pushing teams all the way, I'd be happy to give him more time.

All depends if he can get a DM and 'officially' start to play the football he wants. I believe there is a system there but not all the players can play it. He would need to find a system that suits the players he has now, rather than shoe-horning a system into players that simply cannot play it. It seems as though, for me, those players is Fred/McTominay. (See a criticism! haha! More so Fred than McT) If we were to get a Rice type of player and a RB in the same ilk of Shaw I believe we'd start to play much better football. Though we do play some beautiful football at times (yes I know it needs to be more often and not in bursts). See I can criticise.
This feels a lot like last season, when there was talk that all would depend on him getting a "real" CB and an RW. I agree, we lack Quality in that area of the squad but when will that cycle stop? Will it stop? Be honest, don't you think the year after the DM it could be that we need an actual striker? A replacement for Pogba? A backup for AWB? A backup for the striker, the DM, the RW ...?

Teams rarely are perfect, to wait for that means missing out.

Eddy_JukeZ

The downside of having had Fergie is that we seem desperate to find another Fergie and are willing to stretch every manager's tenure until it violently breaks in the hope that this one will somehow end up staying for almost three decades and win everything many times over.
I'm pretty sure half of our fanbase dreams of that too.

Maybe even the club.

It's lunacy. Complete lunacy.

NZT-One

Only watched the first half. Very very surprised we didn’t win this one. What happened? The first half was United against a championship team.
Sure you watched us? It wasn't the greatest of games but we were not as bad as some make it look like. Individually everybody was a t least solid. Villa though was great, great pressing and real intent in their attacks. We simply didn't create anything of note against them. Oles potential ways to influence were hampered due to forced subs because of injuries to Shaw and Maguire. We conceded a set piece and didn't make use of a penalty later on. It was a deserved loss (I think it would have been after 1st 45minutes as well).

Ronaldo's Love Child

"The definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result".

This is us all over!

I'm sure many of us will think that before the Villareal match next week the coaching staff will be on the training ground making changes that will positively affect our performances but the reality is we will play the exact same formation with more or less the same players sticking to the same duties/roles.

TheGame

Huge streak of games coming up now. Pressure is on more so than before. Hopefully we can come through on a good run but we need to start making the most of when we are on top.

Still backing the manager but he himself said he has to perform or he is out at the beginning of the season so pressure will be on.

Eddy_JukeZ

From ManUtd app:

Ole : "We started the game well, aggressive, good on transitions, going forward quickly. The decision making, the execution in the final third, that costs us today. And decision making on VAR has cost us again, unfortunately. I've go to say it, it's offside, the goal. As Hause is heading it, Watkins is actually touching David, so he's impeding him".

Not worried about the VAR comment, it looked offside to me as well. What really concerns me is the first sentence. No mention on passing and keeping the ball better. Almost looks like that was how we wanted us to play. No control in midfield. When it works it's a joy to watch but when it doesn't it put the team on a massive risk. Can't see this sort of tactic winning big trophies.
Ole's idea of attacking football is have 4-5 players in a straight line all making the same run for a Bruno through ball.

James Peril

Ole has won trophies at 33% of the clubs he has managed. He has also won a trophy in a higher percentage of seasons he has has managed than klopp. Maybe.
You actually brought Molde to the table, you automatically lose the debate. I won a cup when I was 12, it was not for being the best team but rewarded for fair play. Does that make me more successful than Harry Kane? What Ole Solskjær did at Molde does not count for shit, it is not the same sport whatsoever. The Norwegian league is utterly crap and any team with some investment like Molde had could to from oblivion to contention. See Bodø/Glimt, some smart investments and strategies and suddenly won the league. Please.

DON’T PANIC ™

It’s not just the losing, it’s the manner of the defeats, it’s the rubbish performance. There’s no patterns to our play, no urgency until it’s too late. When we lose, the pundits should be talking about the opposition’s keeper being man of the match after making save after save. But instead we are lucky if we have more than a handful of shots on target.
Despite all the attacking talent at our disposal, the manager insists on playing with two poor defensive midfielders, neither of whom can pass forward accurately or quickly. Despite this strategy failing for 2 seasons already, we are going to try again and again. Upgrading players in front and behind but playing the same two gobshites in the middle of the park will always lead to the same disappointing performances.
It’s time to pull the plaster off, and change the entire management team before this season is written off.

NZT-One

From ManUtd app:

Ole : "We started the game well, aggressive, good on transitions, going forward quickly. The decision making, the execution in the final third, that costs us today. And decision making on VAR has cost us again, unfortunately. I've go to say it, it's offside, the goal. As Hause is heading it, Watkins is actually touching David, so he's impeding him".

Not worried about the VAR comment, it looked offside to me as well. What really concerns me is the first sentence. No mention on passing and keeping the ball better. Almost looks like that was how we wanted us to play. No control in midfield. When it works it's a joy to watch but when it doesn't it put the team on a massive risk. Can't see this sort of tactic winning big trophies.
That really worries me. I mean, of course in hindsight that sort of thing effects us. But the issue isn't that we are unlucky with the refs, it is that time and time again we find ourselves in situations where stuff like that, bad luck or coincidences depending on your philosophical stance, decides over win and failures. I am sorry, but I have absolutely zero compassion with it. Actually I am angry reading that. As if the criticism is about him getting this one individual result - it isn't.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
From ManUtd app:

Refusing to take any blame as always.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
You actually brought Molde to the table, you automatically lose the debate. I won a cup when I was 12, it was not for being the best team but rewarded for fair play. Does that make me more successful than Harry Kane? What Ole Solskjær did at Molde does not count for shit, it is not the same sport whatsoever. The Norwegian league is utterly crap and any team with some investment like Molde had could to from oblivion to contention. See Bodø/Glimt, some smart investments and strategies and suddenly won the league. Please.
Well It was very much a tongue in cheek post but I have to love how winning trophies in a European league means nothing but him not winning trophies at fecking Cardiff means something. You silly silly man.

I've given up now. He's done some good things and got us back on track but at this point we're just waiting for the inevitable. Whether it's this year or 3 years from now, he's not good enough and we will get rid of him.

The only question is how much time we waste waiting.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
We have a fantastic squad of players with a strong focus on youth and attacking football. That’s a million miles ahead of where we were when he took over.
Strong focus on youth? Hm, really? But ok.
Attacking football? What? Where? When? We sit deep and play on counter attacks. When will that myth about us and attacking football die?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
You lose stability :lol: :lol: . As i learned here, when you sack manager, you lose club's stability. And you need to lose at least another 4 years for rebuilding . Because new manager must get his squad.

I made a thread about all those myths.
And 500 million. You can’t forget that part. 4 years & 500 million.

Hammondo

What exactly doesn't suit his style? Except AWB i guess
Klopp plays high risk high reward, our defence has given our opponents big chances at the slightest exposure.

Our midfield is not close to what klopp expects, and klopp likes more creative forwards.

Fitchett

The frustrating thing is that all Ole needs to do is to hire some top classes coaches and let them work on the team. He doesn't have to do it ALL himself. Get a Meulensteen, Quieroz or whoever, to fill in the deficiencies in his own coaching and give him the confidence to try different formations in games. Is Eric Ramsay the one? I feel again we are taking a punt on a young, relatively unproven coach instead of someone who's been part of title winning teams.

His man-management and squad building is great, and most importantly he understands the club ethos. I think he's actually a good manager, but a not-so good coach. So, just hire better, more experienced coaches to work for him!
This

UDontMessWith24

I propose a new manager every 2 years. Let's just chuck our lot in with Chelsea and City. That's modern football so let's embrace it. Maybe we can all wear the same jerseys.
More bad faith argument drivel. Nobody is saying change managers for the fun of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.