Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roboc7

Ole has done a good job of being the front man whilst club was rebuilt, the root and branch review of the academy, the use of a transfer committee started before he arrived and would have happened with or without him.

How much a role he’s played in all that is unknown but the job description for the Utd manager is now different to what it was under SAF. It doesn’t make sense to have an inferior version of SAF doing a watered down version of his job especially when he doesn’t excel in any area where he can have the most impact like coaching and tactics.

Robbie Boy

Thing is, there were a couple of bad results now and people are flooding threads dealing with managerial change, but soon enough your team will bounce back.

The loss to Young Boys was bad, yes, but it was bad because it was a winnable game and so are all the remaining games of your group. You'll probably win most, if not all of them and be fine.

The loss to West Ham in the Carabao Cup, yeah it's not good, but honestly, does anyone care? It's the league cup, the bench players get played, and it's not like it was embarrasment against a lower division team, but a narrow loss against a good PL side.

Aston Villa is a good PL side too, sounds like it was a poor performance, but then I can see Ole's Utd easily getting a win in some other game against some suposed favourite. Hell. how many times has he beaten Man City after people were expecting some debacle?

Whether you like it or not, things will look better again and Solksjaer will continue to do his thing.
That kind of inconsistency was, at best, acceptable prior to this season. The consensus is that we now have a team to challenge for the PL. The excuses and wild inconsistency won't fly anymore. If we don't challenge this season, I honestly think he'll go.

Denis79

No chance, a lot of the Ole Outers wrote off the EL as a worthless cup, a mickey mouse cup. People wouldn’t be satisfied until a UCL/PL
I can guarantee you that the majority of fans are neither Ole in nor out. It just might not seem it because they chose not to enter the discussion. I'm one of those, I think Ole should have this season to show he can take us further. Squad is more than enough to achieve results, maybe not a Champions League or PL win but atleast contend. He does that I'll be satisfied.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Tbf, I've read so many nuanced posts since yesterday. But that particular poster has done nothing but wum and trigger people by posting utter nonsense. It's that kind of stuff that will have everyone at each others throats again soon.

Fair is fair; there certainly is a quality control issue, but I feel there are posters from both sides involved in that issue, not just the 'out crowd'. Labelling people clueless, constantly making out anyone using the terminology 'patterns of play' is a weirdo, using straw man arguments and calling any manager not named Ole, a hipster manager, certainly won't bring about reasonable debate. Just as much as posters calling Ole an idiot etc. won't bring about reasonable debate.
Tag me next time yeah? @Robbie Boy

Not wumming whatsoever, giving my passionate opinion, which we all want is the best for the club and to avoid going round in circles I'll keep it short. It's not calling for the managers head after every loss, if you think that my opinion is nonsense then that's down to you and your opinion, which you're allowed to have. But at least tag me or quote me next time and let me say my thing instead of somewhat chatting 'behind my back'.

After the game and immediate reaction had died down I had somewhat of a decent, all be it short, conversation with @dove, but hey, it seems you've already made your mind up anyway...'that particular poster'.

iato89

We have known he is out of his depth, having these great players just highlight what many ''oleout'' have been saying the past few months. We can still save the season if we do a chelsea.

Foxbatt

if Mo Salah can win the pl and CL and score a load of goals in a pressing team then surely it’s a coaching/style call as much as it is on the individual players. I think Greenwood is a fit young player. He should be putting almost double the work off the ball than someone like Cavani does
That I entirely agree with you. We as a team do not work hard enough. Look at SAF on the pitch side all guns blazing with 4 letter words at any player who does not put in the appropriate work. They all were dead scared of him. Even Ronaldo. I have never seen Ole even having one go at a player during a match. Instructing yes. But never losing his temper unlike SAF.

snk123

The one thing I can't really understand is the lack of importance we give to basic passing. Not when the coach is Carrick and the manager played with some of the best ball players we've ever had. Makes zero sense to me.
Do you know what's more baffling? Our manager was the best super sub in the history of this club - yet he refuses to make any subs in the game or is often extremely late in doing so. It's unbelievable.

BlueHaze

I do think it's rather funny how almost this entire forum including myself at times were reserved against hiring Poch because he never had won anything yet so many people are giving Ole a free ride just because he is Ole. Hypocrisy at it's finest. He's been here long enough now to at least get an ounce of consistency but there is absolutely none of it. We could literally go play Stoke and no one would know for certain if it would be a win.

We went out of the CL group stages last year because we lost to that turkish side which was one of the most horrendous CL teams I've seen in my life and people said next year if we do good in the market it won't be the same yet here we are having just signed Sancho which this entire forum was creaming about including myself and on top of that Varane and Ronaldo and we are still losing to the likes of young boys and villa and Sancho has so far been MIA. Time to wake up guys and set your pride aside and just admit he is not good enough to manage a top club and never was.

Marwood

Do you know what's more baffling? Our manager was the best super sub in the history of this club - yet he refuses to make any subs in the game or is often extremely late in doing so. It's unbelievable.
I'd wait to see this season how that goes. Its not like he's always had great bench options to bring on. He did just last week get his subs spot on as well.

Subs are so subjective as well. There's no right or wrong as such.

Eddy_JukeZ

What absolute nonsense is this? When did I say or suggest that?

Our CEO has a shitty track record of giving managers whatever they want and leaving the squad in a disjointed mess. Until we have some forward thinking we will continue to do that and have a bunch of players that can't play to any system coherently under any manager.

Zidane had one of the best squads ever at his disposal, that midfield were world class on many levels. When that team started getting old he was tasked with the job of blending in youth players and rebuilding. He was sacked twice due to his inability to do that, I know he left by his own accord on one of those occasions but let's be honest, he jumped before he was pushed. On top of that, have you seen his transfer record? Do Madrid still have any of the players he signed on the books? Look at Madrid now, he hardly left them in good shape did he?
Zidane was never sacked.

Revan

Assumptionman
Zidane was never sacked.
Also, he did not leave Madrid in a mess. They are first in the table, have scored most goals (more than Atletico and Barca together) and have a better GD than those two teams combined (or if you prefer, better than the second and third combined).

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
One thing we’ve been good at under Ole is bouncing back from poor results.

Eddy_JukeZ

Also, he did not leave Madrid in a mess. They are first in the table, have scored most goals (more than Atletico and Barca together) and have a better GD than those two teams combined (or if you prefer, better than the second and third combined).
Exactly. They looked terrible when he left the 1st time(Ronaldo leaving at the same time also hurt).

He came back, won La Liga(while significantly improving their defensive record), challenged for La Liga the following season and got to the CL-semi finals(while dealing with an injury crisis) at the time. His attacking options weren't even that great in his 2nd stint at the club. He pretty much only had Benzema in attack with Hazard constantly injured + Bale being Bale and Asensio stagnating.

He is an excellent manager. People who discount his 1st stint are hilarious too. As if Zidane is the only manager who managed a stacked Real squad or a stacked squad in general. He's won as many CL titles as we have in our entire history and he did it in 3 years.

Revan

Assumptionman
Exactly. They looked terrible when he left the 1st time(Ronaldo leaving at the same time also hurt).

He came back, won La Liga(while significantly improving their defensive record), challenged for La Liga the following season and got to the CL-semi finals(while dealing with an injury crisis) at the time. His attacking options weren't even that great in his 2nd stint at the club. He pretty much only had Benzema in attack with Hazard constantly injured + Bale being Bale and Asensio stagnating.

He is an excellent manager. People who discount his 1st stint are hilarious too. As if Zidane is the only manager who managed a stacked Real squad or a stacked squad in general. He's won as many CL titles as we have in our entire history and he did it in 3 years.
Agree with all of this. He might not be the greatest coach, but he is still an excellent manager.

He also wouldn't be here very long term. Until the end of season, or best case, until summer 2023. Enough time to win us a trophy or two with Ronaldo, and till then we can find a more modern manager (ten Hag, Potter, one of the Germans if things don't go well with Nagelsman/Rose/Tuchel, Luis Enrique, Mancini etc).

Honestly, if we make the change mid-season, it has to be either him or Conte. If we wait for summer (another season gone chasing progress) there are more alternatives. I would definitely love to see us making the change ASAP though, and try to save this season.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Only when his job is in jeopardy though. It’s not bad enough yet. There’s another 2 or 3 bad results coming before we go on a run to save his job. We’ve seen this movie before.

Jaxa

Gary Neville is absolutely spot on here.

I’m neither Ole in or Ole out, I’m only ever going to be Manchester United in and I’ll support the manager regardless however as fans we’ll always have our opinions right or wrong at times but this team Ole has created and lets all be honest we’re 3 seasons in now so it’s 100% his team is nothing more than a bunch of talented football players who can sometimes put on a great show built from very good individual moments of brilliance,

I can actually sit and watch your Brightons and Sotons and Villas sometimes and go yeah, they know exactly what their manager wants them to do and have a plan to win this game here and sometimes that wont work and the opposition will just have too much quality but it’s a team all working in the same direction to try and win, I can honestly sit here and say I’ve never seen that from an Ole team with maybe the exception of 1 or 2 games max and for me that is a significant red flag and where I have real concern for Ole as our manager and to still be here 3 seasons in and have those same concerns is extremely worrying.

Moriarty

He would command the respect of the entire squad. He's won the lot as a player and a manager. Scored two in a world cup final, led Real to three CLs on the bounce. I would think that if he walked into our dressing room, the whole lot of them would jump to attention.

Atheist

Comments like this are concerning.
”We had started the season well until today,” said Solskjær.
You’ve got to be really deluded to think everything was all hunky dory until the league defeat.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
You’ve got to be really deluded to think everything was all hunky dory until the league defeat.
Because he doesn't give a toss about performances (see the way he almost belittled tiki taka football, as if he could even bring that to United anyway!). He's tried to utilise hundreds of millions of pounds worth of investment by building a team over 3 years that is so good it didn't need much thought or quality from the manager to get them winning games. The problem is, there was always going to be a point when he couldn't carry on with no expectations or targets and he would be judged. That time has now come, though many of us could see that he wasn't good enough,, and was riding on the cost tails of some very good players, a long time ago.

Irwin99

This is undeniable. I think it's a bit silly to be talking about a new manager at this stage of the season but there's been at least two occasions where you could make the case that Ole could have lost his job already in his managerial career here; Pre-bruno was as low as it gets with that result at Old Trafford against Burnley and the Everton win last season was massive after a very poor start to the season.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us win quite a lot of these upcoming games in October/November....then lose a ton of easy points in December.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ole has done a good job of being the front man whilst club was rebuilt, the root and branch review of the academy, the use of a transfer committee started before he arrived and would have happened with or without him.

How much a role he’s played in all that is unknown but the job description for the Utd manager is now different to what it was under SAF. It doesn’t make sense to have an inferior version of SAF doing a watered down version of his job especially when he doesn’t excel in any area where he can have the most impact like coaching and tactics.
You're spot on about the root and branch review pertaining the academy and the formation of the transfer committee which pre-dates Solskjaer. That doesn't mean Solskjaer didn't help in the process because he did and it provided a level of stability that was required at the time.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Basically talking out of his arse when he said Kane would win us the league. Unless Kane was coming in as a coach.
Hes spot on this time.

Neville is usually extremely optimistic and comes across as a Kane fanboi so not surprised he said that. This is reality sinking in.

mav_9me

This is undeniable. I think it's a bit silly to be talking about a new manager at this stage of the season but there's been at least two occasions where you could make the case that Ole could have lost his job already in his managerial career here; Pre-bruno was as low as it gets with that result at Old Trafford against Burnley and the Everton win last season was massive after a very poor start to the season.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us win quite a lot of these upcoming games in October/November....then lose a ton of easy points in December.
Agreed abt Ole always bouncing back. What's different this time is expectations are higher than just top 4. The usual up and down may not be enough if we are not close to the league leaders. And I am extremely doubtful we will get thru our CL group. That's why this imo is the beginning of the end. Hopefully I'm wrong.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
A lot of you wrote Tuchel off when he joined Chelsea. Said he wasn’t good enough. Yet in half a season we have a defined way of playing. How is it that you guys have had a manager for 3 seasons and still not know what his style is?

Aside from that, Olewas never good enough from the start.You’ll never win a race picking a middle of the pack horse.

Jackal981

A lot of you wrote Tuchel off when he joined Chelsea. Said he wasn’t good enough. Yet in half a season we have a defined way of playing. How is it that you guys have had a manager for 3 seasons and still not know what his style is?

Aside from that, Olewas never good enough from the start.You’ll never win a race picking a middle of the pack horse.
He’s more like the last position mule tbf. Name me one manager worse than him in the league

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
I really hope that Ole goes on a winning streak, gets Utd through the group stage and stays close to the top of the league. I don't want him sacked.

HOWEVER

If Utd get knocked out the the group stage and lose touch with the top of the table then I really hope the board act quickly and replace him.

I have my doubts about Ole"s managerial ability but I still want to see him succeed and prove everyone wrong. That being said you only get so many chances to bring success to a huge club like Utd. I think it is fair to judge him this season because he has had backing and he has a good squad. If he doesn't deliver then it is obvious he has reached his ceiling.

Last edited:

croadyman

I would never have been Ole out since March of 2019 IF he had actually brought in experienced coaches to help him and were also willing to challenge his ideas as well, however he clearly had no interest in doing that whatsoever or just couldn't get the people to work with someone so inexperienced. So in that case the right thing to do would have been to tell that toy story puppet I am not the right man for this job and should look elsewhere.

United in sin

True. I was going to challenge him on this assertion as well.

croadyman

He would command the respect of the entire squad. He's won the lot as a player and a manager. Scored two in a world cup final, led Real to three CLs on the bounce. I would think that if he walked into our dressing room, the whole lot of them would jump to attention.
Yeah he definitely would whereas you get the feeling they see Ole as a pushover who lacks any passion in the technical area

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I would never have been Ole out since March of 2019 IF he had actually brought in experienced coaches to help him and were also willing to challenge his ideas as well, however he clearly had no interest in doing that whatsoever or just couldn't get the people to work with someone so inexperienced. So in that case the right thing to do would have been to tell that toy story puppet I am not the right man for this job and should look elsewhere.
But why should he have to "bring experienced coaches in" to make up for him not being good enough? I know Ferguson did bring coaches in but that was with loads of trophies under his belt and was a genuine move to modernise. Queiroz would have had lots of responsibility but would look up to Ferguson. With Ole, it seems some of you want him to bring coaches in so that he can keep his job. If he had a top-notch assistant, that assistant would probably soon be looking at Ole and realising he's not qualified to be number one. Why not just get a coach who knows what he's doing on the training ground?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He’s more like the last position mule tbf. Name me one manager worse than him in the league
Arteta.

Ffs though this is going too far now. He's a middle of the pack manager. He's alright. He's done a good job here and has gotten us back to being a stable top 4 team. He likely isn't capable of getting us to properly compete for the title in a league with Pep, Klopp and Tuchel. It's fine. Not many are capable of that. Of course we need to strive for that, but let's not go overboard on criticism, as Ole has done a good job in his first couple of seasons.

When he took over, I had hoped he would turn us back into a steady top 4 team with year on year improvement, good recruitment, and leave us with a squad in a good position to make the step up to a title challenge. I never thought he'd be the one to take that last step. This is what has happened. It's important for the club to move on at the right time and pick the successor well, but that doesn't make Ole a failure either.

Shiva87

Funny how we interpret things differently. From my reading, it seemed more wanted him gone. Not vocal, just rational people expressing an opinion. Again it's funny, most people I know lost faith in him a long time ago. They're not screaming for his sacking, but they are rather just in acceptance that we won't challenge for major honours under him. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree unless you offer up some sort of statistical proof.

My wider point anyway, was that there's a certain cohort on here who act like it's only these 'clueless idiots' on the Caf that want him gone. But that's just not the case. The fanbase in general seem very divided about him. Showing him support at OT is what we do to managers. It's good for solidarity and shows a united front. There was a poster on here yesterday who had attended the Villa game, who said that there were plenty questioning Ole as they left OT. There seems to be a false perception that showing public support for the manager, means unequivocal support. There are also certain posters on here who I have suspicions about: I suspect they back Ole vehemently on here as a 'badge of honour' and to try to fit into a certain cohort, but away from the keyboard, they are nowhere near as supportive.

Anyhow, I came into this season with real positivity and expected a good title challenge and CL progression. Of course, it's still absolutely possible that we will achieve both of those criteria. However, right now, my doubts about Ole are coming to the fore again. I could lie and pretend everything is rosy and we're only one point off the top, if that's the kind of agenda driven spin you want to hear. But when you actually contextualize things and look at our performances, the teams we have played vs who are rivals have played, and the spin becomes somewhat less positive.

The worrying thing for me is that our performances this season - bar the Leeds game - haven't really been acceptable, and most sensed we would get beaten soon unless we drastically improved. Low-and-behold, we went and lost to a vastly inferior team at OT, got knocked out of the LC and lost our opening CL game. To me, that's just not good enough. Again, if you like, you can put some kind of spin on it about luck, the amount of shots we had, VAR etc. The thing is, I've heard it all before in relation to Ole. I'm backing him for now, but I'll have no problem admitting he has to go unless we majorly improve. Right now, with this squad, this isn't good enough. It's far too amateurish, and we should be playing far more cohesive football.
All great points and unfortunately I have no statistical proof to offer.

With this squad, we have 13 points from a possible 18 - with Ronaldo, Varane, Rashford and Cavani not being available for the first 2/3 games.

I don't know if there is enough sample size to judge him on performances or cohesion of his 'current squad'. Also any new set of players need some time to bed in - somehow ole is not afforded that by the media or the fans :P

It kind of does, because they're the managers actually winning the trophies aren't they? It's like saying Anthony Martial can win a ballon d'or even though Halland and Mbappe are around.
They are two very different things. A less defined playing style doesn't mean you cant win trophies. The problem is equating the two.

Sviken

He's starting to remind me a lot of Moyes with his comments. Worrying.

Status
Not open for further replies.