Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idxomer

We are lucky to get a draw from Everton at home, who at the end should have won it really because we cannot defend.

How can you play 2 DM's and look completely open at the back.

Sign a RW after chasing him for 2 years not to start him.

Absolutely rubbish management, below par coaching and unacceptable results is what Ole brings.
Because one of them is positionally very weak, and the other has the physicality of an u18 player.

romufc

Because one of them is positionally very weak, and the other has the physicality of an u18 player.
Its interesting that he covers most of the corner counter attacks and this season, I think we have been countered about 10 times from a corner.

We have one of the biggest teams, we cannot win a header, then we have little Fred losing battles to Demari Gray. I mean if it was Rondon or someone you can think he is stronger but Gray, really?

Giggsy13

For the WHU game, I'd say the game should have been done way sooner considering the fact that we were denied 2 pens and we missed a couple of 1 v 1s.

For the cherry picking part, our subs scored most goals last season, we got most points from losing positions as well. Even in terms of subs winning us points, we were tied 1st. So not sure if the stat is being cherry picked
We also played in empty stadiums last season, so the stat of most points from losing positions especially away from home is grossly overstated. Also, going that often is not a great stat for a club looking to win big trophies. Your luck runs out over time as seen from some of our losses this season.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We also played in empty stadiums last season, so the stat of most points from losing positions especially away from home is grossly overstated. Also, going that often is not a great stat for a club looking to win big trophies. Your luck runs out over time as seen from some of our losses this season.
For the 1st point, I believe every team was playing in an empty stadium, isn't it? And how does that influence the ability for come back wins anyways?

And I agree, going down this often is not something that is to be proud of. I'm just pointing out that the subs argument is sometimes blown out of proportion considering we've been among the more successful sides with subs

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Personally I dont think Ole is a mid table level manager either. Sure what he does he prefers playing on the counter so it fits a small team better but unlike Moyes he has no track record of doing it well and organizing a team at all so I dont see it personally. Movement and organization, team being cohesive, Ole just doesnt have it. Moyes does. Moyes is miles better IMO.

My first thought when Ole took over and I started to view him as a manager was that he just doesnt have it and he is not cut out to be the manager. For one I have this thing where I believe only former midfield players really make great managers but that can be a me thing. However I just didnt see the necessary character or intelligence in Ole. Hes a nice guy and uses niceness to his advantage, certainly worked when we asked for an antidote to Mourinho but theres certain eccentricity, character etc that comes with intelligence of a top manager. Ole just isnt the guy. He doesnt have that intelligence.

For me thats how I viewed it from the start. Feel good thing with Ole, yeah we got that. And as much as the board dreads characters like LVG and Mourinho now, well thats a part of the package, thats how great managers are they cant be controlled and they tend to be eccentric..comes with the territory. Its sorta why I think board would rather give Ole a year and wait for the Ajax manager to be available cuz he seems nicer rather than hiring Conte who is really only one available now, the board doesnt want a character like that IMO.
Christ. A poor start to the season and we're back to "worse than Moyes"

You do know Moyes has been manager here too? And he did pretty damn poorly when he took the reigning champions to 7th

sugar_kane

Still support Ole but have to admit he pissed me off with his grinning and bantering with McTominay at the end.

Regardless of whether he should be communicating with his players like that in the last few minutes of a game we've played badly in, it just shows a complete lack of self awareness which makes me wonder about his general media savviness (which I'd always had down as pretty strong)

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Still support Ole but have to admit he pissed me off with his grinning and bantering with McTominay at the end.

Regardless of whether he should be communicating with his players like that in the last few minutes of a game we've played badly in, it just shows a complete lack of self awareness which makes me wonder about his general media savviness (which I'd always had down as pretty strong)
You can't please everyone. If he walks off muttering to himself as Ronaldo did the narrative would be that he's cracked under the pressure. As a manager in any role you can only be who you are.

Giggsy13

For the 1st point, I believe every team was playing in an empty stadium, isn't it? And how does that influence the ability for come back wins anyways?

And I agree, going down this often is not something that is to be proud of. I'm just pointing out that the subs argument is sometimes blown out of proportion considering we've been among the more successful sides with subs
Coming back in an empty stadium is one thing, doing it away from home in a hostile environment full of supporters is another. Supporters can influence a game and pile on the pressure. It’s something that will occur far less often this season especially away from home.

Here’s another stat, we haven’t kept a clean sheet at home for 9 straight league games despite roughly £200 million being spent on our back 4.

Giggsy13

I support Manchester United and not Ole Gunnar Solkasjer FC. Also tries really hard and gives it a go isn't a positive. There has to be talent there too. Tries really hard and gives it a go is for a team like Watford or Newcastle.
It’s too bad I couldn’t write my original post in a sarcasm font, but I gave it a go.

Revan

Assumptionman
Zidane all transfers in :
:eek:
Hazard
Luka Jovic
Eder Militiao
Ferland Mendy
Vincinius Jnr
Alvaro Morata
Reineir
Theo Hernandez
Dani Ceballos
Martin Odegaard
Soro
Markkanen
Areola
:eek:

:(
The manager has not much to do with the transfers in Madrid.

Revan

Assumptionman
On the bolded part, he sold Lukaku to give Greenwood more game time and that worked out tremendously. Also Martial actually got 17 PL goals and 23 in all comps that season.

Not gone as well for Martial since but it made sense.
How many matches has Greenwood played as a central striker?

Canagel

Do you think Ole just tells the players to just go out there and play?

I know it won’t happen because it’s been asked before and United turned it down, but I’d love for United to do an All Or Nothing Amazon Prime doc, just purely to highlight the tactics Ole is implementing, just purely so it will silence those who think Ole just has no clue what he’s doing. He has a UEFA license for chirst sakes, he’s not some sort of bum
Those licenses mean nothing. Anyone that can read at even a basic level can get one, it doesn't require a tactical genius.

And a lot of bums have their licenses and badges but don't reach anywhere and are failures.

anant

Coming back in an empty stadium is one thing, doing it away from home in a hostile environment full of supporters is another. Supporters can influence a game and pile on the pressure. It’s something that will occur far less often this season especially away from home.

Here’s another stat, we haven’t kept a clean sheet at home for 9 straight league games despite roughly £200 million being spent on our back 4.
How does empty stadium influence team's ability to mount a come back though? I can get the point about better away record in general (even there - we were the only side to go trough the season unbeaten away from home), but can't agree with correlation with come back wins.

Josh 76

Yesterday Klopp realised Liverpool were sitting back and letting City destroy them. Him shouting on the side line “be brave”.

Meaning step up and press them higher, which they did in the second half.

Would Ole have done that? No chance! He would have tried to make a couple of subs and play the same bloody way, hoping for an individual moment to get a result.

This is the major differences between the elite managers.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Your biggest problem is Ole is not a bad manager. He may not be a manager that can push people to get a little more out of their performances. He seems to be an organizer of men, rather than a true leader of men.

beer&grill

Christ. A poor start to the season and we're back to "worse than Moyes"

You do know Moyes has been manager here too? And he did pretty damn poorly when he took the reigning champions to 7th
Christ, you do know that Moyes has consistently gotten jobs in the Premier League for 20 years, right? There’s a reason Ole managed almost all his career in Norway and got the United job on everything but merit.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
How many matches has Greenwood played as a central striker?
Not many, but he name dropped Greenwood himself when pressed on why he didnt bring another striker in. So his design was that Martial, Rashford, Greenwood would pick up the burden.

Bobcat

Christ, you do know that Moyes has consistently gotten jobs in the Premier League for 20 years, right? There’s a reason Ole managed almost all his career in Norway and got the United job on everything but merit.
Because Ole lived in Norway and because Moyes started managing while Ole was still a player?

Nonsense whataboutism. Moyes has been here and he did horribly

Xaviboy

Way we are leaving ourselves open in our games we are going to get a hiding from someone in the next 6 games. Makes u laugh Ole saying in his post match we don't concede many chances. Not sure if he is watching same game as us but we have conceaded so many chances in last number of games. Wolves away, De Gea put in MOM performance, Villereal if more clinical would of had game over and done with at half time. Villa had the best chances of the game which they won. Everton had few chances and goal disallowed the weekend. We play someone like Liverpool, we will get smashed. Mane, Jota and Salah won't miss them chances.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
On Ole vs Moyes, the former has obviously been better for us but Moyes was an enormous success at two clubs in the best league around. Let's see how their careers pan out before determining who is the better manager

beer&grill

Because Ole lived in Norway and because Moyes started managing while Ole was still a player?

Nonsense whataboutism. Moyes has been here and he did horribly
You can’t truly believe that this is the reason he didn’t have any top job in his 10 year career before United. Anyway, he didn’t always live in Norway, he did live in the UK until he relegated Cardiff.

sugar_kane

This is all off the top of my head and will no doubt be picked apart by the forum, but here's what immediately springs to mind:

1. He's done a lot of good for the club since he was hired, and the goodwill he generated from this hasn't yet evaporated because of a bad run of form
2. His stats since he took over still compare favourably to other managers
3. He's got us consecutive top three finishes in the past two seasons
4. He's signed well, and sold well too - even if he hasn't managed to shift all of the 'deadwood' yet
5. Despite the criticisms on coaching he has gotten improved performances out of certain players, eg. Shaw, Greenwood. I daresay even the likes of Fred & McTominay improved under him until their recent drop in form
6. He's done well against the top six, eg. Pep
7. He puts the club first unlike Jose or LVG, or potentially someone like Conte
8. He's got a really fecking tough job, and will benefit from our support
9. We often start seasons indifferently, sacking him in October when 2 points off top spot would be kneejerk
10. I don't want Conte or Zidane managing us, and better alternatives aren't available
11. Forum favourites like Poch or Nagelsmann have hardly been perfect so far despite having amazing squads at their disposal
12. I honestly believe the players still buy into him as a leader, although I do worry the media and recent fan reactions will eat away at this

I said before the season started this was a make or break this season and I stand by it. If he fails this season and there is a strong alternative in the market I'd be inclined to move on.

If Klopp or Pep were available I'd take them tomorrow, but they aren't. I'd consider Poch or Nagelsmann or Ten Hag but none of these are available either, and in the case of the first two I'd like to see them prove themselves at their current clubs.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
If Ole really wanted to put the club first, he'd have signed a world class football technician instead of Carrick et al.

Bobcat

You can’t truly believe that this is the reason he didn’t have any top job in his 10 year career before United. Anyway, he didn’t always live in Norway, he did live in the UK until he relegated Cardiff.
If you just bothered to go to wikipedia or something, theres a very good explanation for that. After coaching the United reserves he and his family moved back to Norway in 2010, and he even declined a job offer from Villa in 2012 because he did not want to unsettle his family again so shortly after moving.

anant

Fair to assume that you don't rate Ten Hag as well?

beer&grill

Fair to assume that you don't rate Ten Hag as well?
Why wouldn’t I? Ajax is no Molde and UCL semi final is no Norwegian Cup. I also rate every manager that got a premier league job on merit. You won’t hear me say “Graham feckin Potter” like some user did, like he’s some kind bum who got the BHA job through the lottery.

anant

Why wouldn’t I? Ajax is no Molde and UCL semi final is no Norwegian Cup. I also rate every manager that got a premier league job on merit. You won’t hear me say “Graham feckin Potter” like some user did, like he’s some kind bum who got the BHA job through the lottery.
But he hasn't been able to secure a job in top 5 league. Also, he's 51.

P.S. I rate Ten hag, but if we're to say that a manager is shite because he didn't get a job in a top club despite coaching for X years, you would likely reach a different conclusion.

Also, Ole got the permanent job on merit. He was supposed to be our caretaker (which you can say was "lottery"), however the performances meant that he was given the job full time.

Frank Grimes

People claim Ole's man management is good but I'm not even sure this is true. Last week he said he doesn't want sulkers in the team at a dig at VDB and after the game on Saturday he publicly criticises Sancho for jumping out of a tackle on our club's TV channel. No need to put players going through a tough time under even more pressure.

The Purley King

If Ole really wanted to put the club first, he'd have signed a world class football technician instead of Carrick et al.
The most savvy people get the best people around them to help. SAF had some fantastic coaches around him. It doesn't all have to fall on Ole, but I think he must believe it does otherwise he surely would get someone more experienced in to help.
Yes, he is the figurehead and bears ultimate responsibility, but so much of the training, drills etc should be done by the coaches. How do we press, what shape do we sit back into without the ball, how are we going to attack down the right hand side etc. These are all things that should be practiced over and over and over until they become embedded.
I just can't see that we actually do that though as from all available evidence (the games) its like he just tells them to go out and play. No evidence of any training, or any tactics at all.

Raven

Personally I dont think Ole is a mid table level manager either. Sure what he does he prefers playing on the counter so it fits a small team better but unlike Moyes he has no track record of doing it well and organizing a team at all so I dont see it personally. Movement and organization, team being cohesive, Ole just doesnt have it. Moyes does. Moyes is miles better IMO.

My first thought when Ole took over and I started to view him as a manager was that he just doesnt have it and he is not cut out to be the manager. For one I have this thing where I believe only former midfield players really make great managers but that can be a me thing. However I just didnt see the necessary character or intelligence in Ole. Hes a nice guy and uses niceness to his advantage, certainly worked when we asked for an antidote to Mourinho but theres certain eccentricity, character etc that comes with intelligence of a top manager. Ole just isnt the guy. He doesnt have that intelligence.

For me thats how I viewed it from the start. Feel good thing with Ole, yeah we got that. And as much as the board dreads characters like LVG and Mourinho now, well thats a part of the package, thats how great managers are they cant be controlled and they tend to be eccentric..comes with the territory. Its sorta why I think board would rather give Ole a year and wait for the Ajax manager to be available cuz he seems nicer rather than hiring Conte who is really only one available now, the board doesnt want a character like that IMO.
"For one I have this thing where I believe only former midfield players really make great managers"

I and anyone else who has read this comment have become more stupid.

InfiniteBoredom

"You should always start with your best players"

It's just a bit of silly isn't it. It's completely unviable to start a 36 year old every single game of the season.
You can start him every PL/CL game, the way Fergie rotated is to start as strong a team as possible in the premier competitions, quickly get a comfortable lead and sub in other players. Rio talked about this, we used to play the majority of our games at 70% and could condition ourselves for the business end of the season, which isnt viable right now because we struggle to start well, prompting the need to work hard every game and it saps energy out of the players in the first XI, while the second string couldnt get any real meaningful game time because they play badly whenever a wholesale change is made and then first XI have to come in whenever we are chasing a game.

Sviken

"You should always start with your best players"

It's just a bit of silly isn't it. It's completely unviable to start a 36 year old every single game of the season.
Ronaldo isn't just any 36 years old player. This is the problem with Ole. He is absolutely clueless when it comes to man management and by the looks of it it is pissing both Ronaldo and Pogba off. Pretty sure Bruno is mad about the whole thing as well. People call Ole a good man manager, but I just don't see it. He's simply not toxic as Mourinho, but that doesn't make him good. A good man manager would be Klopp or Pep. Fergie knows what's up. Also, Fergie never rotated his best players or did very often. I don't remember RVP being rotated all that much or at all. Sure, he'd start the reserves in cup games (albeit he'd field a few starters), but generally in important matches you wouldn't see the team without Rooney/Ronaldo/Persie/Scholes or whoever.

At this point Ole might just lose the dressing room. I don't like the signs Pogba and Ronaldo are showing already.

clarkydaz

Ronaldo isn't just any 36 years old player. This is the problem with Ole. He is absolutely clueless when it comes to man management and by the looks of it it is pissing both Ronaldo and Pogba off. Pretty sure Bruno is mad about the whole thing as well. People call Ole a good man manager, but I just don't see it. He's simply not toxic as Mourinho, but that doesn't make him good. A good man manager would be Klopp or Pep. Fergie knows what's up. Also, Fergie never rotated his best players or did very often. I don't remember RVP being rotated all that much or at all. Sure, he'd start the reserves in cup games (albeit he'd field a few starters), but generally in important matches you wouldn't see the team without Rooney/Ronaldo/Persie/Scholes or whoever.

At this point Ole might just lose the dressing room. I don't like the signs Pogba and Ronaldo are showing already.
its the only thing people can say about him as a manager. I remember Moyes being called a good hardworking man

Status
Not open for further replies.