Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Just like many other posters I want OGD to succeed. But with that being said l have to be honest with myself and judge him properly without emotions and blind faith.

With absolutely everything into account I can’t see him turning this around. I don’t see any improvements in the way we play the last couple of months. We look totally disorganized, disoriented and out of shape. Key players don’t deliver to normal standard. School boy errors. Laziness. Without any sorts of pride. Our squad players looks totally out of dept. They can’t even do the basics right. Jones is horrible and he epitomizes everything that’s wrong with us.

When almost every player out on the pitch just look totally clueless then the manager has to share the blame. Ole Gunnar don’t breathe confidence. The way he talks don’t inspire. We all know that Woodward is the real reason why we are where we are but that doesn’t help a new manager. Right now I don’t know what’s right or wrong. To sack him now is a desperate move but keeping him doesn’t feel good either.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
The truth is despite half a season here Ole remains an unknown quantity. The only major decision he has made was to get rid of Fellaini. Next season he has it all to prove in terms of the style, fitness and intensity he wants his side to show. He has said encouraging things on this so let’s see.
This.

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
The difference being, Ole is absolutely right. Our current squad is no better than EL standard. Can you refute that claim?

Moyes took over a title-winning squad, sold/released many core players, replaced the backroom staff, completely restructured the training regime and then led the club to 7th place.

He also said, "we need to aspire to be more like City". He was talking about the current league champions.

Any comparison between Ole and Moyes is a non-starter.
Yes he took over a title winning side but Scholes retired and he sold Fabio. It was Van Goal who oversaw the dismantling of Ferguson's squad.

Grib

All very reasonable.

No doubt a sentiment shared by just about all who frequent the forum.

I just don't expect this good faith to continue unabated into next season.
Indeed, I doubt it will, he should consider walking away and outting this shithouse group of players for what they are

He may or may not be good enough for the job, but he hasn't a chance either way with the crap attitude that is seemingly over hanging our dressing room

We can't get rid of 7-8 players (not counting the like of Ander and Mata leaving already who actually have some desire even if they aren't suited or deemed good enough)

Sterling Archer

Because Woodward has no fecking clue how to run this club and wanted to be credited for discovering a genius agreeable manager that would build the Disney Land he dreamed of.

Kapardin

On the bright side, he can start proving his European credentials by winning the Europa League.

Slice of luck he got the job. Now he needs to return the favor. Comfortable 3rd or 4th in the league + EL win with a pleasing style of play. Now, he will be under severe scrutiny.

Irrational.

I think we should've stuck to the original plan and waited until the end of the season before giving Ole the contract. The moment he got that contract the players stopped playing for him and downed tools once they realised they've done enough to win him the contract.

We appointed him far too early as we were caught up in the hype and giddiness of Paris.

But as they say, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
One non top red question. Is there any chance to Ed sack him and hire Poch or Allegri or somebody else? I mean, Ed is not THAT clueless. He sees what is going on and he knows how much would cost us to stick with Ole. Or does he?
Allegri would be terrible, boring football

They were clueless against Ajax once they started to pass the ball about

Celoti23-81

The truth is despite half a season here Ole remains an unknown quantity. The only major decision he has made was to get rid of Fellaini. Next season he has it all to prove in terms of the style, fitness and intensity he wants his side to show. He has said encouraging things on this so let’s see.
Funny thing about it, first few games we were hearing Ole has got these set of players playing to their potential. He loses a few games, and now it's the players. That suggests to me the first few games were a complete fluke, and it was indeed a new manager bounce.
I'm sorry, it if you can't beat Huddersfield, the players and the manager are a joke. To be at the wheel of something means you have to be able to control it. Ole is not. In fact, since our demise, he hides on the bench, with no clue how to change things.

jackal&hyde

The season was all but over when OGS came in and we were literally a couple of decent Gk saves away from performing a small miracle of catching up 11-12 points. It's disappointing that it didn't happen but i can't blame Ole for he is that one that gave us a chance in the first place.

We all know that a bunch of players are not good enough, but one thing stood out to me over the last few months. We went on a good run of 13-14 games that not only brought results but the play in general was great. Then, a massive downturn, not only in results but in performances, especially in the second halfs. This tells me that the players simply lack proper fitness to play attacking-high pressing football. Are many of them just not very good athletes? Have they been poorly trained during preseason? I remember Mourinho complaining in the summer that he did not have a real preseason or something to that effect (blaming the club for not prioritizing training over marketing exercises). The WC played a role no doubt.

Whatever the case, even if we don't sign to many players, i think next season will be much better in terms of performances simply because i believe Ole will address the fitness side of the squad and we will sea a lot more games like the ones when he first came and a lot less then the later ones.

JohnnyKills

I think we should've stuck to the original plan and waited until the end of the season before giving Ole the contract. The moment he got that contract the players stopped playing for him and downed tools once they realised they've done enough to win him the contract.

We appointed him far too early as we were caught up in the hype and giddiness of Paris.

But as they say, hindsight is a wonderful thing.
I think everyone thinks that now mate!

Hoof the ball

Question for everyone.

During our post-Mourinho run when we was racking up points, did anyone see any signs of what we're now witnessing? for eg. When we played Spurs, we hit a nice counter-attack, however, because we won that, it's played into the kind of revisionism that we were brilliant in games during this run. In the example of the Spurs game, it's arguable that ought to have lost that game, what with Spurs' relentless attacks and chances, coupled with De Gea's heroics.

To a varying degree, our great run of results betrayed a reality of performance that still wasn't superb, even if we was picking up points from either Pogba playing out of his skin, or, counter-attacks through Pogba just simply working.

As fans, we have a tendency to look at a great run of results and apply revisionism to the performances themselves in order to paint a picture of improved football in comparison to the present period. I think the reality is somewhat exaggerated, and thus, with the drop in performances from both Pogba and De Gea, that has brought things to balance.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
He is in over his head.

But I honestly don't blame him. He loves us.

Those who appointed him are the ones we should be going after.
Very much so.
While I was unimpressed with him as caretaker, it was to a degree understandable.
But honestly. When any major business needs to recruit someone to such a key position, they utilise proper processes to make sure that the key requirements are defined and the very best candidate is identified and selected. I have worked for a major UK engineering company and recruitment is absolutely one of the most important factors.
So I ask you. What sort of process was used to appoint Ole. A toss of a coin?
This is not his fault but what key skills and attributes does he have.

Tony247

Ole is the right man to turn this club back to its better days if not the best days. We need to give him 2 pre seasons at least. Remember people were mocking klop just 2 years back. Three good signings were enough to turn their fortunes. Now their foundation is set and every new good signee can complement the team. We too need to be patient.

EASTSIDE777

Best thing he and the staff can do IMO is to use this pre season to turn this side into the fittest and most energetic team in the league. Quality wise we are miles off and that won’t change in one summer. The only hope for me is that we become a team that will fight, press and will be horrible to play against. Then you’ve just got to hope that you’ve got some quality on the back of that.
This would be a good start.

Kaj45rpm

If he can clear out the dross, we can judge him next season. He and the coaching staff look lost and devoid of any ideas but they are not the ones on the pitch under performing.

crossy1686

career ending
Yep, there's only a handful I'd actually want to keep. Would be happy to hear the vast majority had gone.
I've been in favour of a mass clear out since Van Gaal. Previous managers have identified players that aren't good enough to play for United years ago, yet they still turn out every week.

At this point I wouldn't be against a new starting 11 next season.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
You're whinging about the boss of the sixth placed Premier League team saying the Europa League is 'probably the right place for us to be'.
But you're not telling him and us to ignore the league table?
Actually I was comparing the reaction of him saying it to Jose saying it :rolleyes: I also said its not the level of the club ("which has nothing to do with a league table in a single season) which I never once referred to. Again reading is better than making things up

el3mel

Putting so much hope on the team changing 180 degrees after the preseason is really just setting yourself on for a big disappointment. I won't do that to myself.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The last part is the most disappointing

I really believe they would like to build the team around their philosophy; the one that McKenna did so well with the U18s but it’s been strangled by having so much dross and rank bad attitude in the firsts team
Correct. All I would say is that if he really is that good then he is going to need to be far more forceful with his ideas.

BulgarianDevil91

Anyone against Ole at this point in time should simply stop supporting the club now.

I can't keep count of the times I've said this, but here I go again: no one in the world would've done any better with this garbage squad. We haven't bought a decent RM/RW in the last 8 years. We've been lacking in the RB and CB areas for about the same time. What do you expect? Ole is no magician. Just shut up and give the man time.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Putting so much hope on the team changing 180 degrees after the preseason is really just setting yourself on for a big disappointment. I won't do that to myself.
Which is why there needs to be a massive clearance for it to feel like a new team entirely. A few changes here and there won't be good enough

Cassidy

Oh, so your point was that if Jose was still manager of the sixth placed Premier League team and had said it he'd have been right too? :lol:
No again no point making things up. The point was when Jose was the manager of a 6th placed team playing in the Europa League he was criticised for saying it was our level. Yet now Oles says it and its ok. The point is either Jose was right all along, or Ole is wrong now

steakpie

On the bright side, he can start proving his European credentials by winning the Europa League.
No offence but that is just a cheesy, cliched comment. "European credentials" by winning the Europa? The only European trophy that matters is the Champion's League.
Winning the Europa League is not an achievement for United. Winning the League Cup is probably harder.

Dobba

I also said its not the level of the club (which has nothing to do with a league table in a single season) which I never once referred to. Again reading is better than making things up
No again no point making things up. The point was when Jose was the manager of a 6th placed team playing in the Europa League he was criticised for saying it was our level. Yet now Oles says it and its ok. The point is either Jose was right all along, or Ole is wrong now
And Ole didn't refer to the Europa League being 'the level of the club'. So why are you complaining about other people 'making things up'? Reading is better.

Tony247

Remember, the team was playing well under Ole until every other player started dropping like flies. That forced him to change the tactics.

Cassidy

And Ole didn't refer to the Europa League being 'the level of the club'. So why are you complaining about other people 'making things up'? Reading is better.
I never said he did, reading is great you know. Again the original point was a comparison to reaction of what Ole and Jose said. Its not rocket science

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I wish we could start with a new, top manager next season, kick out all the crap players, promote some youth players but also buy 5 quality, new players

Kapardin

No offence but that is just a cheesy, cliched comment. "European credentials" by winning the Europa? The only European trophy that matters is the Champion's League.
Winning the Europa League is not an achievement for United. Winning the League Cup is probably harder.
I am sorry, but that is elitist. Europa is no easy win, we just happened to win it in an outlier season when it was extraordinarily devoid of quality. In general, it is a good, even tough competition starting from QF.

Since we are in the Europa, I am fully invested in it. It is a European competition, and if we rejuvenate our squad, I'd rather have Europa to fill out my football weeks rather than having no European football at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.