Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I am still in a state of shock at Ole's approach yesterday. Of all the teams to go and try to 'get at' he chose Liverpool. Even after the warnings in recent games.

I am baffled by his comments before and after the game that he felt a Man Utd team, at home, needs to play on the front foot. 90% of us probably expected us to defend deep & counter. For obvious reasons.

It feels like Ole is just playing these self defeating, suicidal tactics cos he feels like that's what we should do. Rather than doing what we are actually best at: countering.

Is he going to do the same against City in a fortnight? Open up space and chase them cos that's what a Man Utd team should do? It's crazy.
The problem is that things like "front foot football" and "suffocating teams with a press" aren't things you can decide to do to other big teams. You actually have to inculcate it into your collective over months and years of effort on the training ground. We go out just trying to do stuff without making the effort to ready ourselves to carry it out.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
The staff are good. Brilliant.
When you give players space they score.

It took us 4 minutes to give the other team acres of space to score. A team that thrive on getting space. Then we have them as much as they wanted all afternoon.

Were they not told to stay compact and tight for the first 20 mins!! They were all over the place

crossy1686

career ending
Why has he signed players to play counter attacking football and then changed the plan? Why would you sign players and then ask them to do something they’re not good at?

He can say whatever he wants about the coaches but we’re playing literal relegation form.

Classical Mechanic

The staff are good. Brilliant.
When you give players space they score.

It took us 4 minutes to give the other team acres of space to score. A team that thrive on getting space. Then we have them as much as they wanted all afternoon.

Were they not told to stay compact and tight for the first 20 mins!! They were all over the place
On the first goal it looked like a tactical play from Ole where Greenwood and AWB attempted a high press. Lindelof covered AWB and then Maguire covered Lindelof leaving Liverpool with an overload against Shaw.

All season it looks like we've been trying to take the game to sides more but it's been a disaster so far and that comes down to the coaching.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I'm hoping the radio silence from the club means the wheels are in motion. Usually by now we've had all sorts of briefings about how his job is safe etc. I hope I finish work today and he's gone. If United just silently roll into the next game and try to hope nobody will notice then I'll lose my shit.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
S

Spot on.

Ole really has no place managing us from hereon, let's see how the board reacts.
Will continue to sit back on their fat arses until they realize top 4 isn't a possibility.

Ole's job is as safe as they come.

amolbhatia50k

The board have never made a knee jerk decision off the back of one game.

If he goes it will be over the next 4 games of more shit results.
Will continue to sit back on their fat arses until they realize top 4 isn't a possibility.

Ole's job is as safe as they come.
I agree. We are on some way off from his sacking. A few false dawns and sound-bytes to go before we cut the chord. Top 4 looking difficult is the biggest factor, IMO.

crossy1686

career ending
We've been saying that for weeks, after many crap results.
But there was no watershed moment like the Liverpool match. There’s no coming back from that result unless we win our next 10 games and look brilliant doing it. For Jose it was Sevilla, for Ole it was yesterday, he won’t last 10 games now.

crossy1686

career ending
I agree. We are on some way off from his sacking. A few false dawns and sound-bytes to go before we cut the chord. Top 4 looking difficult is the biggest factor, IMO.
It will happen but it will take time. The board don’t want to appear as though they’re sacking a manager because of Liverpool. It’s not a good look. He won’t be able to turn this around though.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
I (and probably many many others) has seen this so many times before. Those who lives in denial. It can be a alcoholic, a dysfunctional staff member , someone who use domestic violence or elder people just before they get dementia.

They don’t see it.
They don’t understand why.

When Ole Gunnar Solkjaer made his interview after the game he was in some sort of chock. His expressions was typical for a person who don’t understand and his instincts was 100% defensive. He didn’t take time to think before he answered. He wasn’t self reflective enough to understand what he was saying.

At this stage he probably has lost the majority of his authority with his players. They listen but probably don’t care any longer. Pogba?

Ed Woodward will have problemtake the decision. As it stands he’s to weak now. On his way out. Four failures in a row and zero direction moving forward.

In the end it’s up to the owners.
Media pressure maybe can help? This club is in a free fall without any real leader. Without authority on and off the pitch. Even Maguire looks like a lost school boy out in the middle of nowhere.

amolbhatia50k

It will happen but it will take time. The board don’t want to appear as though they’re sacking a manager because of Liverpool. It’s not a good look. He won’t be able to turn this around though.
Maybe. But wouldn't really be because of Liverpool IMO, rather because of how bad we were against Liverpool and moreover our lack of accomplishments in the last 3 years + lack of potential under this manager going forward. I understand that you mean that this is how it would be seen (Liverpool sacked our manager etc) but to me the better way to put it from the clubs side is that this run of form culminating with a disgraceful defeat is not acceptable.

Either way, as long as he goes soon and more importantly we put some actual thought into the next hiring, it'll be good.

AndySmith1990

If this were true it'd mean we have a board that care more about how their perceived by others than they do about the wellbeing of the club. Although top reds exhibit the same behaviour, meaning it'd be in keeping with the United way and our DNA, so it makes sense.

McGrathsipan

Clinical enough? He really is deluded
He really is

On the first goal it looked like a tactical play from Ole where Greenwood and AWB attempted a high press. Lindelof covered AWB and then Maguire covered Lindelof leaving Liverpool with an overload against Shaw.

All season it looks like we've been trying to take the game to sides more but it's been a disaster so far and that comes down to the coaching.
I despair if that's what it was against Liverpool of all fecking sides

Ddg was right they played like kids.
Even my amateur coach tells us to keep it tight and compact at the back early stages.
It's basic stuff

Waynne

He won’t admit it but I don’t think Ole knows how to change this. That was essentially the same 11, plus Ronaldo, that was our first choice 11 last season. Yet we’ve gone away from all our our principles from last season. Stay compact and hit teams on the counter.
Now we’ve become this team who make the odd half attempt at a press. Trying the play higher up the pitch but with huge gaps between the lines and making individual errors time and time again.
Other than Liverpool’s 5th, every goal we conceded was a poor goal and a defensive mix up.
I’ve been Ole in up until these last 3 weeks however we need to cut ties before he tarnishes his legacy as a player. It’s clear we’re going nowhere fast.
The first goal we conceded was comical.
I mentioned many times before our press is complete and utter rubbish if you can even call it a press. It's like just yesterday these players were told to start pressing by the coaches. I see nothing on the field that shows we're trained to do that.

Kostov

Klopp would find harder games in the championship, Ole was outclassed by a world class coach and they didn’t even break a sweat.

Green Arrow

The board won't react Ole protects them, he's a club legend this could go on for awhile. Will be surprised if he resigns today but he won't will carry on as usual. Besides the Glazers have landed in the UAE to but an IPL team! Seriously we have inept owners.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The problem is that things like "front foot football" and "suffocating teams with a press" aren't things you can decide to do to other big teams. You actually have to inculcate it into your collective over months and years of effort on the training ground. We go out just trying to do stuff without making the effort to ready ourselves to carry it out.
And, even then, even if you are great at it, against top sides you may still need to adjust. City don't just play their normal game when they go up against Liverpool.

Why, how did Ole think we could just put the frighteners on Liverpool by getting up and at 'em?

They're going to be talking about this defeat forever. No matter what happens now. They will always talk about the time they came to Old Trafford and got that result yesterday. They didn't even have to work hard for it either.

Really, really disgraceful approach from the coaching team. It's like they saw the siege coming and decided to leave the drawbridge down for the challenge.

crossy1686

career ending
If this were true it'd mean we have a board that care more about how their perceived by others than they do about the wellbeing of the club. Although top reds exhibit the same behaviour, meaning it'd be in keeping with the United way and our DNA, so it makes sense.
Never in United's history have we sacked a manager off the back of one terrible result. It takes the the position to become untenable before the manager is sacked, which isn't that far away. Two more losses and the talk will be as if he has already been sacked instead of this IF/WHEN stuff that's happening now

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
But there was no watershed moment like the Liverpool match. There’s no coming back from that result unless we win our next 10 games and look brilliant doing it. For Jose it was Sevilla, for Ole it was yesterday, he won’t last 10 games now.
I think the further the Liverpool game goes into a distant memory, the safer he is. Even if we only win 3 or 4 of the next 10. By that point we'll just have supporters talking about January transfer window and all will be forgotten.

If he makes it to summer then he'll be here next season as they'll use the transfer window as a distraction and try to get fans back onsside

amolbhatia50k

And, even then, even if you are great at it, against top sides you may still need to adjust. City don't just play their normal game when they go up against Liverpool.

Why, how did Ole think we could just put the frighteners on Liverpool by getting up and at 'em?

They're going to be talking about this defeat forever. No matter what happens now. They will always talk about the time they came to Old Trafford and got that result yesterday. They didn't even have to work hard for it either.

Really, really disgraceful approach from the coaching team. It's like they saw the siege coming and decided to leave the drawbridge down for the challenge.
I don't know if we tried to be attack minded that aggressively or simply were that bad in being attack minded in that we implemented a style that which could otherwise work but was so half-baked in it's application that it resulted in one of the most disgraceful display by this club, ever. IMO this sort of football (high press, front foot etc) is hard to implement and Ole doesn't really have it to get it done.

Tony247

I think this year Ole might have thought he has got world class players, now he can play any type of football he likes. I am suspecting his philosophy or tactics is 'football is simple, just need good players'.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I'm genuinely buying more into the idea that the final loss against Villareal broke him. He was never a world beater but he could devise a game plan last season, especially against the better teams. It wasn't this helter skelter.

amolbhatia50k

I have a question , what did Ole actually mean when he said "Something has to give" after Leicester? All I see is Pogba not playing, that's it?

amolbhatia50k

I think this year Ole might have thought he has got world class players, now he can play any type of football he likes. I am suspecting his philosophy or tactics is 'football is simple, just need good players'.
I really think that this is it. Which is why we need a proper tactical coach, someone with a vision to play a certain way not somebody who makes it up as he goes along.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I hate that this toxicity will continue to build. I hate that Ole will continue to be manager as fans turn on him. This is all on the board. He won't be sacked today. That's all you need to know. There are a few more losses on the horizon. It is going to be a dreadful season. Go again next season with Conte - no Champions League might give us a chance in the league.

I'm genuinely buying more into the idea that the final loss against Villareal broke him. He was never a world beater but he could devise a game plan last season, especially against the better teams. It wasn't this helter skelter.
I agree. Last season we were decent. I was Ole in. This season has been an utter shambles. It must’ve been the EL final loss.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Honestly starting to think it's a combination of these points. It's like we signed Ronaldo and got giddy: We've got the best player in the world, we are going to go impose ourselves on the game. The clever, big match game plans seem to have vanished. It's all just go out there and outgun the opposition. As if the Europa League final defeat has been chalked up to not having game changers and now we've got Ronaldo tactics don't matter.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I hate that this toxicity will continue to build. I hate that Ole will continue to be manager as fans turn on him. This is all on the board. He won't be sacked today. That's all you need to know. There are a few more losses on the horizon. It is going to be a dreadful season. Go again next season with Conte - no Champions League might give us a chance in the league.
I think he feels it would be letting the players down if he decided to abandon ship at the lowest moment. So its unlikely that a resignation is one the cards and the board need to step up and resolve the issue.

captaincantona

List of issues directly attributable to Ole that suggest the club is completely bonkers!

- two GKs one one who signed a €100k p/w 6 year contract to sit on the bench and the other one of the best paid keepers in the world. Also another 2 keepers on the books for some reason?
- €90million worth of Pogba has been indulged and we are seemingly trying to hand him a pay rise to stay.
- €75 million spent on Sancho when we really don’t seem to know what his strong points were as they don’t suit our style whatsoever.
- €35million spent on DVB - see above
- Rashford playing through injury for a whole season
- Martial on €250k to warm the bench
- Mata and Lingard on €100k a week just hanging around
- Mc Fred
- 3 years and hundreds of millions later and still saying in a press conference that we need to get to the level of other top teams
- Taking an ageing superstar back out of nostalgia and seemingly willing to do anything to keep him on the pitch.
-Carrick and McKenna, good or not, no real experience at the top level

I could just Keep going...it all seems a bit hit and hope.

soapythecat

When Jose got the boot, I wasn’t surprised. We all expected it and it was a joy when it was announced. Waking up this morning I don’t have the feeling Ole is getting sacked. I just don’t see it regardless of how much I think he is done for.
I’m in the train of thought that he will get as long as he can to get us top 4. We are still in CL and, on paper, still in race for league/top4.
Woodward doesn’t want another sacking on his watch just before he leaves. It’s an absolute mess that Ole is still here but I’ve got my head around it. It’s going to be bloody ugly.

romufc

List of issues directly attributable to Ole that suggest the club is completely bonkers!

- two GKs one one who signed a €100k p/w 6 year contract to sit on the bench and the other one of the best paid keepers in the world. Also another 2 keepers on the books for some reason?
- €90million worth of Pogba has been indulged and we are seemingly trying to hand him a pay rise to stay.
- €75 million spent on Sancho when we really don’t seem to know what his strong points were as they don’t suit our style whatsoever.
- €35million spent on DVB - see above
- Rashford playing through injury for a whole season
- Martial on €250k to warm the bench
- Mata and Lingard on €100k a week just hanging around
- Mc Fred
- 3 years and hundreds of millions later and still saying in a press conference that we need to get to the level of other top teams
- Taking an ageing superstar back out of nostalgia and seemingly willing to do anything to keep him on the pitch.
-Carrick and McKenna, good or not, no real experience at the top level

I could just Keep going...it all seems a bit hit and hope.
Exactly, these are the highlights of his reign, you could also add spending £180m on a defence that cannot keep a clean sheet.

I mean you spend 2 years chasing a RW that you make it look like you so desperately need, to bench him and not know how to use him?

He is a joke of a tactician, manager, coach. Anyone who refers to the wins against PSG, City, Liverpool and those teams do not know what management is.

I have seen Burnley, Palace and teams with similar level managers get wins against big teams because in a one off game, its not the hardest thing to coach, 10 men behind the ball and counter attack. At least those managers do it with lesser quality players.

When it comes to beating teams, Ole has no clue how to attack whilst being solid at the back, which is what the top teams do. Chelsea, Liverpoool, City won't concede 11 goals in a week.

McGrathsipan

Never in United's history have we sacked a manager off the back of one terrible result. It takes the the position to become untenable before the manager is sacked, which isn't that far away. Two more losses and the talk will be as if he has already been sacked instead of this IF/WHEN stuff that's happening now
It's not one result. This one result had been coming. Everyone and their mother could see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.