Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kapardin

I don't think Ole should be flayed for his selection decisions this season. Admittedly the talent pool is limited and though Young has been shit, Ole may have been scared to go with Dalot based on what he is seeing in training. Maybe Darmian's head is not here as well.

Next season is where we scrutinize him closely. He needs to be tough. Assume Young won't be used as much even if he hangs around, but Rashford is also not all that he is hyped to be, and Ole should be brave enough to get someone in to give him competition and rotate him rather than favoring him due to his local credentials.

AndyJ1985

It's a Champions league quarter final and the likes of Young, Lindelof, Jones, McTominay, Fred and Lingard are (correctly given the alternatives) starting for us.

It's all on Ole that we're not beating Barca at the Nou Camp though.:rolleyes:
No it's obviously not all on Ole. But that doesn't put him beyond criticism.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He was playing as a wing back though, played to his strengths going forward. Dalot will be a very good player, he's just not ready yet for this level, especially in a back 4.
I agree that he's not ready yet. In fact, I've defended Young being picked over him this season based on his RB performances.

However, Young has been absolutely terrible recently, and I think putting Dalot in tonight over Young would've been for the better.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Most of the players in our squad are not at the required level to compete at this level. We haven't had such a squad since Sir Alex left. Signing 2-3 players won't fix all the problem we have, not even close.

Bojan11

Preparations for next season begin well before the end of this.

Don't disagree necessarily with the Poch assessment...but waiting until the end of the season was not an option. All plans needed to be in place before hand
Then we should have signed a DOF. Lots of teams sign managers up at the end of the season.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Odd stick to beat him with, we played extremely well and limited Barcelona to feck all until Young gifted Messi the ball in a daft position and De Gea offered up 2-0 on a plate
Who persisted with Young despite being utter shite for months/years.

John Johnson

5 defeats in 7. Likely no more CL football this decade. Star players likely to leave. Young with a contract. Wage budget bust

SAFMUTD

I think we made a big mistake appointing him mid season at the heat of the moment, would we have done it right now?

It seems the spacejam water has ran off and he making a lot of mistakes, like a rookie manager does.

Said it before and saying it now, I don’t think Ole will know how to handle the pressure.

Skills

Snitch
People talk as if other managers have at least 5 options for each full back position.

Zinchenko's been playing LB for City this season - a 22 year old attacking midfielder :lol:

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
We have the resources to compete at the highest level. The trouble is we're run by morons who don't have a clue what they are doing. Until either Woodward is replaced, or we're bought by owners with ambition, we're going to keep going through this cycle of the same old shit.

I agree but let's be honest nobody is going to jumping to sign for us and We literally need a whole new squad.

Its actually unbelievable that its 2019 and we still have young, Jones and smalling as regular starters. None should be at the club now and because Woodward is literally thick as pigshit they've all been given contract extensions recently.....the mind boggles.

The club is rotten to the core it'll take years to sort this mess out. I wish there was a delete club option like on fifa because I'd be the first to press it and start from fresh.

lysglimt

Scout
Who persisted with Young despite being utter shite for months/years.
He felt Young was the best choice when Shaw (who is our only good back) was suspended - give the man one window to buy a decent rightback for Christs Sake. Don't you think he doesnt know that Young isn't good enough ? But what can he do - would it be better with Dalot and Lindelöf ? Not very likely.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
People talk as if other managers have at least 5 options for each full back position.

Zinchenko's been playing LB for City this season - a 22 year old attacking midfielder :lol:
Delph or Laporte (both better options than Young) would play LB in a big game.

Eddy_JukeZ

Keeps persisting with Young.

And will Lingard stay on again? Another silent domination of non-domination from the master himself.

Woodenlung

I'm not sure there's much more Solksjaer could have done. We set out in the correct way I think. Pressed Barca high and didn't give them space to play. We created a couple of chances which we really should be converted.

Following our inability to convert is our penchant for brain farts in defence. That's not something you can legislate for as a coach. You can of course but better players, but we haven't had a chance to do that yet.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
It was a tall order but won't have anything against not going through. However starting Lingard and Young at this point, is a professional mistake
I think Young is the key as Lingard's movement helped the initial attacks work but the basic premise is right. The tie was 3/4 done and I don't think we can hold the tactics against Ole here. We may be open at times but Barca are there to be hit on the quick counter so the setup isn't the problem, in fact, with a better side I'd advocate it being the right approach to beat them. It's the lack of quality from us in key positions (Young, for one) preventing it from working.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
It was a tall order so won't have anything against not going through. However starting Lingard and Young at this point, is a professional mistake
Do you think Sanchez or Lukaku would have been better? Dalot at RW? There just aren't that many options.

All 3 United

He felt Young was the best choice when Shaw (who is our only good back) was suspended - give the man one window to buy a decent rightback for Christs Sake. Don't you think he doesnt know that Young isn't good enough ? But what can he do - would it be better with Dalot and Lindelöf ? Not very likely.
People keep saying to me, give him a transfer window and then judge. I’m sorry but what historical achievement has ole had to justify a war chest that could be available to a manager with that proven track record. If he gets the war chest and wastes it, we will be put back by 5 years or so, especially with the Glazers holding the purse strings.

I’m sorry to bring this to your attention guys but nothing we are doing makes any commercial sense.

passing-wind

Ole doesn't have the pedigree to see us cross the paths with the likes of Klopp and Pep and be victorious. He's not shown enough to merit becoming the manager on a permanent basis much of our results before the PSG ties we rode our luck throughout the performances

Since ole has been appointed we have been outplayed by Wolves twice, battered by West ham (home), battered by Watford (home), loss against Arsenal, loss against Barcelona looking like a double. This is the same Barcelona who were knocked out against Roma they have vulnerabilities in their team.

The most pressing concern is the standard of football we are seeing week in week out. We have looked dreadful at Old Trafford throughout the majority of Ole's tenure, I cannot understand the Glazer's way of thinking. Should have waited until the end of the season assess the options critically and decide. There's nothing to say that we back Ole with 300 million and he returns success on field ?

Job is to big for him in my opinion.

Abhinav

It was a tall order so won't have anything against not going through. However starting Lingard and Young at this point, is a professional mistake
And who would you have him starting instead? Dalot defensively is not ready yet, we saw that against West Ham. And Lukaku Rashford and Martial in the same side has rarely worked. Its all good criticising the manager but he is not the one who led us into this position.

Kapardin

People keep saying to me, give him a transfer window and then judge. I’m sorry but what historical achievement has ole had to justify a war chest that could be available to a manager with that proven track record. If he gets the war chest and wastes it, we will be put back by 5 years or so, especially with the Glazers holding the purse strings.

I’m sorry to bring this to your attention guys but nothing we are doing makes any commercial sense.
Mourinho wanted the likes of Willian and Perisic. Atleast we are being linked to some exciting players like Sancho, Bruno Fernandes etc. Of course, all rumors aren't true but they often do hint at the type of targets we look at. Even if Ole fails, I don't think we could go wrong targeting that profile of player.

El Zoido

The question is, had we waited until the end of the season to make a decision, would he still have been offered the job?

Denis79

Watch what Young does from our free-kick to their goal and tell me he deserves to play this game before Dalot or Darmian. He was terrible vs Wolves, useless in the first leg vs Barca and he plays again!? Unbelievable...

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I wouldn’t jump on him yet.

Young and De Gea mistakes ruined a good start for us. I know some might say that he hadn’t a right starting Young but still.

Can’t really blame the downfall our game on two clusterfecks.

All 3 United

Mourinho wanted the likes of Willian and Perisic. Atleast we are being linked to some exciting players like Sancho, Bruno Fernandes etc. Of course, all rumors aren't true but they often do hint at the type of targets we look at. Even if Ole fails, I don't think we could go wrong targeting that profile of player.
I agree but Moyes was linked with some great young ‘right’ players too. It’s all well and good leaking the ‘right’ names to the press but we have to actually get them over the line.

dove

Watch what Young does from our free-kick to their goal and tell me he deserves to play this game before Dalot or Darmian. He was terrible vs Wolves, useless in the first leg vs Barca and he plays again!? Unbelievable...
And I think he is back from suspension against Everton where he is nailed on to start.

Greck

The question is, had we waited until the end of the season to make a decision, would he still have been offered the job?
I don't think so. Even this place would have been 50-60% in favour of giving it to someone else by now. But lo and behold we gave him so we now have to act like we know for sure he is the right man and shout down those with reservations

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
And who would you have him starting instead? Dalot defensively is not ready yet, we saw that against West Ham. And Lukaku Rashford and Martial in the same side has rarely worked. Its all good criticising the manager but he is not the one who led us into this position.
I'd play Darmian ahead of Ashley fecking Young and yeah I'd play Dalot, who despite his deficiencies, is no way worse than Young who is hopeless and finished. There is no upside to playing Young, he ain't never getting better, at least Dalot could learn from this experience and grow as a player.
Don't even get me started with Lingard who is shying away from the ball and loses it when he gets it. It's all too predictable but OGS does feck all to change it. Our club is fecked up and will be for a long while.

Status
Not open for further replies.