Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Some United fans now starting to sound like the radical left Labour supporters. In total denial and won't accept reality.

Both labour and United need total revamp from top to bottom. Changing leaders is needed but not enough. It's deeper than that.

AneRu

During SAF era?

Disagreed. SAF is SAF. He does thing his own way, and being successful. The problem is there was no plan to succeed him.

Woodward is given the top dog position in the house, just ruined the club. Woodward as we know over time, get in the way of managers while at the same time ain’t serious about creating a structure for the club. Where is DOF appointment?
Agree with this. Its astonishing how the club with owners who are in it for the money fails to organize itself properly for maximum efficiency. We have spent close to billion pounds only to find ourselves languishing in mid table at Christmas having only qualified for the CL three times in the last six attempts.

All the disastrous managerial hires and the expensive flops don't seem to have jolted the club into a drastic rethink of strategy. From the outside looking in it's simple but the club keeps dragging its feet over simple but necessary decisions. Fire the manager, get Woodward out of the football side, bring in Rangnick as DOF/Interim manager to lay the ground work for a young progressive manager and lure Rose in the summer.

The rest will in place with time once the club is moving in the right direction.

slored1

Not his fault that he's out of his depth this much. Woodward has to be blamed the most for giving him the job before the season ended and for that decision deserves to be sacked on the spot. If we don't react quickly we'll become the new Milan (or maybe we already are).

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Not buying this.

Those players were good enough to beat Tottenham and City back to back.

We don't need better players to beat an abject Watford side.

They hadn't won at home all season before beating us.
Well said.
People look for instant solutions. It is X or it is Y.
To be successful in any walk of life, every facet of an organisation has to be working with a common purpose.
The problems at MU have existed even in Sir Alex Ferguson days. It was just that he managed to get the best out of the team.

In order to define the solution you first have to define the problem.
All we do is apportion blame.

Yes of course the manager is ultimately responsible.
But the fundamental problems need to be understood and they go beyond the manager.

dove

Not buying this.

Those players were good enough to beat Tottenham and City back to back.

We don't need better players to beat an abject Watford side.

They hadn't won at home all season before beating us.
Didn’t you know that wins against Spurs and City was a tactical masterclass from Ole but every other game where we are shite beyond belief is purely due to players? That’s how it works with our fans.

SteveCoppellFan

Thats a pretty damning stat in regards to turning possession into wins.

Im a huge Ole fan but that stat is so damning its hard to ignore.

Just shows how much we lack any creative players.

Lets see who comes in in January, If we dont get someone in that fixes this issue then ill be completely baffled.

Id give Ole until the summer any see how the season panned out.

After that, im not sure tbh.

AneRu

Well said.
People look for instant solutions. It is X or it is Y.
To be successful in any walk of life, every facet of an organisation has to be working with a common purpose.
The problems at MU have existed even in Sir Alex Ferguson days. It was just that he managed to get the best out of the team.

In order to define the solution you first have to define the problem.
All we do is apportion blame.

Yes of course the manager is ultimately responsible.
But the fundamental problems need to be understood and they go beyond the manager.
The problems at United are structural and are centered around recruitment. We have have a bunch of accountants and the Glazer siblings deciding who is the manager and when to sack him. Having brought in that manager from a flawed process we then have that person driving our transfer strategy and when it fails we bring in the next one using the same process, rinse and repeat. Then you wake up six years later and you have a patched up squad that cost hundreds of millions to assemble.

JoaquinJoaquin

Not his fault that he's out of his depth this much. Woodward has to be blamed the most for giving him the job before the season ended and for that decision deserves to be sacked on the spot. If we don't react quickly we'll become the new Milan (or maybe we already are).
Both clubs on a very similar dark path.

Both teams have wasted money on mediocre players, had numerous failed managers and American owners whos best interests aren't with the club.

Lynty

I think with Pogba starting, the next 4 games will give us a definitive decision on Ole's future at the club. Newcastle, Burnley, Arsenal and Wolves - a good mix of opponents with a full strength squad.

Lets be honest, without Pogba, even Pep himself wouldn't be able to break down a parked bus. It's not Rashford or James' style. Fred, McTom and Lingard don't have the creativity. We don't have any depth. Pep would demand quality transfers. Ole has said he's a student of Pep, so with creativity finally injected back into the squad, it's time for him to prove it.

Danish Wizard

It's not just the results, to me the big worrying part is the horrible football being played. Not just yesterday but also in a lot of other matches. Had United played like yesterday with van Gaal or Mourinho as manager, everyone would be screaming for him to be sacked. Why should it be different just becasue it's Ole.?

I give a lot of credit to Solskjær for his visions and ideas for the club. Says the right things in the media, and tries his best. It's just not good enough.. And on the pitch, I just don't see anything tactical that gives me belief in him as the right manager for the club. It's really worrying to see no structure on the pitch at all.

Ole could quit. Rather than being sacked later this season.

To me, the next manager should be;
Brendan Rodgers, Erik ten Hag or Julian Nagelsmann. One of these. They know how to get a team playing on the pitch, get results and develop young players. I don't care about Rodgers past with the scousers, he would still love to go here and is a great manager.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
In 12 months in charge in any club coach must have results and implemented style of play. If we are going to excuse him for results because of long term shit and rebuilding then we should be having at least good style of play, right?
He failed in nearly every area so why we should keep him?

It's not just the results, to me the big worrying part is the horrible football being played. Not just yesterday but also in a lot of other matches. Had United played like yesterday with van Gaal or Mourinho as manager, everyone would be screaming for him to be sacked. Why should it be different just becasue it's Ole.?

I give a lot of credit to Solskjær for his visions and ideas for the club. Says the right things in the media, and tries his best. It's just not good enough.. And on the pitch, I just don't see anything tactical that gives me belief in him as the right manager for the club. It's really worrying to see no structure on the pitch at all.

Ole could quit. Rather than being sacked later this season.

To me, the next manager should be;

Brendan Rodgers, Erik ten Hag or Julian Nagelsmann. One of these. They know how to get a team playing on the pitch, get results and develop young players. I don't care about Rodgers past with the scousers, he would still love to go here and is a great manager.
I agree with your list, you wouldnt have Poch?

Judas

Open to offers
We’ve taken the wrong risk with Ole, if we were going to take a risk on a less experienced manager he’d not have even been on the list for anyone, it’s that simple.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
In 12 months in charge in any club coach must have results and implemented style of play. If we are going to excuse him for results because of long term shit and rebuilding then we should be having at least good style of play, right?
He failed in nearly every area so why we should keep him?
Woodward's email: ed.woodward@manutd.co.uk

Apparently that's the email, so many have sent mails to that for various reasons. @Maradona10 sent mail to share his transfer targets, @KM sent mail to say how shit the club is run (IIRC).

RedIan

I have serious doubts about Oles ability to motivate the team. Lack of effort little movement and a pedestrian speed of play is evident in nearly every game against all but the higher placed teams we play. The team appear disinterested, like they can just go through the motions and hope something will break.
is Ole just to nice? Can he give the hairdryer treatment when needed? The manager is not there to be the players mate, he is there to get the best out of them whether thats a rollicking or a hug... i fear he is just to pally with the team and there is no fear factor at not performing as there was under SAF.

Alabaster Codify7

Look at Ole's stats, performances and results since being made permanent manager. Now imagine our manager in that period of time was Nigel Pearson or Marco Silva.

He would have been fired MONTHS ago. Months. He probably wouldn't have made it into October. We are literally allowing Ole to run the club into the quicksand, scott free, because he used to play for us.

If only Moyesy had been a former player, who knows, maybe in his sixth year of the lucrative contract he would have had us in League 1.

Russky14

Agree with this. Its astonishing how the club with owners who are in it for the money fails to organize itself properly for maximum efficiency. We have spent close to billion pounds only to find ourselves languishing in mid table at Christmas having only qualified for the CL three times in the last six attempts.

All the disastrous managerial hires and the expensive flops don't seem to have jolted the club into a drastic rethink of strategy. From the outside looking in it's simple but the club keeps dragging its feet over simple but necessary decisions. Fire the manager, get Woodward out of the football side, bring in Rangnick as DOF/Interim manager to lay the ground work for a young progressive manager and lure Rose in the summer.

The rest will in place with time once the club is moving in the right direction.

Look at the potential future at a the Tampa Bay Buccs. The Adams Family are fecking clueless leeches.

If you want regime change then the something needs to happen vocally & sustained at both home & away matches. I am sorry to say though that the average fan is well on tamazapan based on their reaction for two wins v Spurs & City.

Ole has no flipping clue, he is hoping that Pogba will do the deed v the tight defences. The problem is Pogba even blows hot & cold & when that occurs you need other quality players to step up. Ole the twerp (oops sorry the leg-end), decided that we had enough in midfield - well we haven't have we. As for the youth team look at the scousers just bought a RB Salzburg player - why? Becasue the youth aint good enough!!! Thats the same with our youth players apart from Greenwood there are only a couple who could make it at OT.

Russky14

Look at Ole's stats, performances and results since being made permanent manager. Now imagine our manager in that period of time was Nigel Pearson or Marco Silva.

He would have been fired MONTHS ago. Months. He probably wouldn't have made it into October. We are literally allowing Ole to run the club into the quicksand, scott free, because he used to play for us.

If only Moyesy had been a former player, who knows, maybe in his sixth year of the lucrative contract he would have had us in League 1.
If only we kept Moyes for another 5 months we would have got Klopp!!!!!!!!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Unsuitable players? He offered Martial and Rashford long term contracts and highly rates the likes of McTominay. Curious to know what the article justification is here.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
He easily has the worst squad out of our previous managers post SAF. We are relying heavily on youngsters and a 'brazilian' guy from the ukrainian league who seems to be still finding his feet.
Does he have a worse squad than Newcastle, Aston Villa ,Sheffield United, Bournemouth, Watford...

Alabaster Codify7

Does he have a worse squad than Newcastle, Aston Villa ,Sheffield United, Bournemouth, Watford...

Fact is, he has a worse squad than maybe 4-5 teams in the league. Yet he is under-performing against pretty much every mid-table or relegation standard manager he goes up against. And they are beating him quite comfortably, too, don't forget. He can't really come away from games like yesterday's feeling that we had a good chance of winning, because even without those errors we were coming away from the worst team in the league with a 0-0 draw.

He is completely incapable of coaching attacking football - the type you need to rip apart shit defences with a -22 goal difference.

Someone made a good point in another thread, he focused on the defence this summer and a fast winger which was a clear indicator, in hindsight, that he had no plan other than to come into the season defending deep and trying to hit teams on the counter. An underdog manager who completely bamboozled the fans with this bullshit rhetoric that he was going to bring 'attacking football' back to Old Trafford.

Spoofer.

ArjenIsM3

Overall our squad obviously isn't worse, we're better in the majority of positions. I'd say we've got a better GK, better CB's and a better LW and maybe a better striker than any of those teams. But when it comes to creativity (especially in midfield) they may well beat us. Take Villa for example. Grealish and McGinn would walk into our midfield. Take out Pogba and our midfield is incapable of creating anything. Our squad isn't balanced at all.

TrueRed79

I'd be ok with Giggs getting the job at this stage. Ole is THAT bad. If anyone around here actually defends him then i actually feel sorry for them.

crossy1686

career ending
Just saw his post match comments. He is not happy with them, said it was a testimonial in the first half, no intent, no urgency and we gave them two goals.

Also said he wasn’t happy with the Lingard’s decision to lob the keeper instead of round him or slot it home.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Overall our squad obviously isn't worse, we're better in the majority of positions. I'd say we've got a better GK, better CB's and a better LW and maybe a better striker than any of those teams. But when it comes to creativity (especially in midfield) they may well beat us. Take Villa for example. Grealish and McGinn would walk into our midfield. Take out Pogba and our midfield is incapable of creating anything. Our squad isn't balanced at all.
Well the squad certainly isn't balanced, that's for sure. And that's something that isn't completely Ole's fault. Our recruitment over the years has been shocking. Not just in terms of the players we've chosen, but the areas that we've ignored for so long. It just points to how incompetent this club is run.

But i refuse to accept this excuse after every fecking game we lose or draw. It doesn't matter who we mess up against, it always comes back to the squad for some people on here. It's utter nonsense. What they seem to fail to release is, is that nobody on here is asking us to compete for the league, or even finish in the top 3.

We may not even be good enough to get in the top four, and i could just about accept that, but to turn up and stink out the place against the likes of Newcastle, Watford, Bournemouth, Villa, etc.? Nah, not having that excuse about our squad not being good enough then. It's a nonsense excuse.

C'est Moi Cantona

What if he ends up signing similar players to that signed in summer ? Players suited for setting back and playing counter attacking ?
Then he'll likely fail, and will be out.

I didn't want him to stay beyond his interim stint, but he's here now, and has shown glimpses of promise, so i'd throw some more money at him asap, rather than just drift to the end of the season with what we've got, as it's unfair on him imo, and will cost him his job, which he might well lose anyway, but I'd rather us address that in summer, but if that doesn't come with a raft of other changes as well then we'll just end back where we are now soon enough.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
That is nonsense. Weak(ish) midfield can't be excuse for not beating all those weaker clubs than us. Bloody hell, when will those ridiculous excuses will end?

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Changing the culture of the club

Keeps best player at club against his will
Not over his own will and desire to line and fill up his own pockets.

Of course he cares about the club, but we were led to believe when he became permanent that if it ever became apparent he was in way over his head, then he would prove not to be a costly risk, since he would do the right thing and resign instead of dragging his feet to get his compo

Ole knows full well this job is beyond his capabilities and at a lost as to how to fix the rot, which is why he's taken refuge behind youth and ''rebuild''

He's constantly repeating rebuild, culture and youth in every fecking interview, as if he's on a brainwashing mission like some Ole youth cult leader.

I'm surprised he hasn't yet called for the support to make a chant out of his words

Youth Culture Rebuild!
Youth Culture Rebuild!
Youth Culture Rebuild!

Only LVG with his process and philosophy are the closest example to reiterating phrases, however at least coming out of his mouth it wasn't shallow and there was actually substances behind his words. He actually explained tactically what he was trying to do along with the fact he had proven pedigree of implementing a tangible philosophy at previous clubs.

What the hell has Ole rebuilt that gives him the right to talk as if he is some specialist in this area?
Er, OK, I must have missed the stockmarket announcement stating that verbatim. What nonsense- everyone accepts the club has been horrifically mismanaged post-SAF, but then expect it to be fixed in double-quick time. I'm struggling to find any instance of a football manager having said 'I can't do this, it's beyond me' and then quit.

As for repeating stuff in interviews, what do you expect him to say? 'Well guv, if Lingard could hit a barn door, DDG hadn't fecked up and AWB had stayed on his goddamn feet we'd have won that game.'

OrcaFat

Ole was not happy with the tempo (effort?) in some areas. The buck stops with Ole but there is a lack of competition and overall quality in the squad. They are decent players but many of them are not league-winning standard. Once you accept that, inconsistency is no surprise.

Inconsistency of players and team is the real issue. We played well in some games and, in others, we had decent results. With a couple of signings in January, we should get more consistent and a challenge for 4th is not out of the question. That would be significant progress. If it doesn’t happen and we finish 6th or below, I am sure Ole will be under unbearable pressure next season and will be gone by September if we are still poor.

Ancient Of Days

Er, OK, I must have missed the stockmarket announcement stating that verbatim. What nonsense- everyone accepts the club has been horrifically mismanaged post-SAF, but then expect it to be fixed in double-quick time. I'm struggling to find any instance of a football manager having said 'I can't do this, it's beyond me' and then quit.

As for repeating stuff in interviews, what do you expect him to say? 'Well guv, if Lingard could hit a barn door, DDG hadn't fecked up and AWB had stayed on his goddamn feet we'd have won that game.'
Kevin Keegan Resigns from England position

Keegan, 49, who took the job only last year, took full responsibility for the defeat. He said: "I have had all the help I have needed but I have not been quite good enough. It's the end of the road for me.."

"I feel I have had more than a fair chance. I have no complaints against the media. There's no one to blame for myself. I am not the man to take it a stage further and I know that."

Lippi Resigns from China position

. 'I take full responsibility for this loss and hereby announce my official resignation.'

For any team, players should give their all once they are on the pitch and execute what the head coach had planned for,' Lippi said.

'If they are afraid and lacking motivation, will and courage and failing to execute what we had trained for, I will take responsibility for that as head coach.'

Here's some more managers who forfeited their compo and instead did the honorable thing by putting the club before their own interests

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49428721

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/oct/03/neil-harris-quits-millwall-manager

It has been revealed yesterday that Darlington’s manager Tommy Wright has resigned from his role with the club, prior to their final game of the season.

The club currently sit in a disappointing 16th in the National League North, but also finished 12th with the Quakers last season.

https://fanbanter.co.uk/darlington-manager-announces-resignation/

Reports suggesting Solsjkear would resign if he thought it's in the clubs best interests.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ited-manager-thought-clubs-best-interest.html

As for his interviews, he could have taken the opportunity to provide insight into why we failed to break down the worst team in the premiership and explained what went wrong tactically so we have a little bit of faith that he has some clue as a coach. But no, we he just falls back into the convenient fairy tale carrot on the stick rebuild fantasy

Even Mourinho knows the deal

''I’m going to try and get a job like Ole has, and speak all the time about the future.''

"I think it’s a great situation, three-year contract – the future, the young players, no pressure. I think it’s a great job to do in such a giant club."

AshRK

I already had idea he was not the smartest coach or has the most tactical mind but yesterday I was just astounded by his body language. He has that defeatist look the moment we concede a goal or two, it was like he had already given up. The fact that after the Everton game he said his team lack ideas to break Everton was itself a huge concern. How can we trust this guy to take the club forward. Also, what is with him handing Greenwood a book to read before coming on. Don't they already have ideas prepared. Yesterday was a shocker from Ole and his assistants. Just end this season and replace them with a competent manager who knows how to bring some energy to this squad.

OrcaFat

Kevin Keegan Resigns from England position

Keegan, 49, who took the job only last year, took full responsibility for the defeat. He said: "I have had all the help I have needed but I have not been quite good enough. It's the end of the road for me.."

"I feel I have had more than a fair chance. I have no complaints against the media. There's no one to blame for myself. I am not the man to take it a stage further and I know that."

Lippi Resigns from China position

. 'I take full responsibility for this loss and hereby announce my official resignation.'

For any team, players should give their all once they are on the pitch and execute what the head coach had planned for,' Lippi said.

'If they are afraid and lacking motivation, will and courage and failing to execute what we had trained for, I will take responsibility for that as head coach.'

Here's some more managers who forfeited their compo and instead did the honorable thing by putting the club before their own interests

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49428721

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/oct/03/neil-harris-quits-millwall-manager

It has been revealed yesterday that Darlington’s manager Tommy Wright has resigned from his role with the club, prior to their final game of the season.

The club currently sit in a disappointing 16th in the National League North, but also finished 12th with the Quakers last season.

https://fanbanter.co.uk/darlington-manager-announces-resignation/

Reports suggesting Solsjkear would resign if he thought it's in the clubs best interests.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ited-manager-thought-clubs-best-interest.html

As for his interviews, he could have taken the opportunity to provide insight into why we failed to break down the worst team in the premiership and explained what went wrong tactically so we have a little bit of faith that he has some clue as a coach. But no, we he just falls back into the convenient fairy tale carrot on the stick rebuild fantasy

Even Mourinho knows the deal

''I’m going to try and get a job like Ole has, and speak all the time about the future.''

"I think it’s a great situation, three-year contract – the future, the young players, no pressure. I think it’s a great job to do in such a giant club."
He did give an explanation. Team was too slow and Pogba improved it. Tactics were not the issue.

The lack of quality in no.10 /AM area is why we struggle against weaker teams who keep men behind the ball. If Pogba sticks around and plays there with McT and Fred behind, the prospects are good.

Fred has really improved under Ole.

As for Ole not being under pressure, I think we all know that’s not true.

JoaquinJoaquin

Can someone please tell me what Carrick does, apart from sitting gormless on the bench? We already know some of the players don't like McKenna's coaching methods, but I just wonder what Carrick does, as he was never the most vocal on the pitch to start with.

LoneStar

I hope we are starting talks with Poch about taking over sometime. Even in the summer.

Don't think the board has the balls to sack him now, or they simply don't care. Best I can hope for is Poch taking over in the summer.

We look completely lost when we are in possession. Our only chance at scoring goals is to give up the ball, hope they don't score and then counter.

Not even going to blame the likes of Pogba if they were to leave. We will get nowhere with Ole as our manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.