Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrcaFat

Can someone please tell me what Carrick does, apart from sitting gormless on the bench? We already know some of the players don't like McKenna's coaching methods, but I just wonder what Carrick does, as he was never the most vocal on the pitch to start with.
If he has anything to do with Fred and McT development then he deserves some credit, the gormless tw*t.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
He did give an explanation. Team was too slow and Pogba improved it. Tactics were not the issue.

The lack of quality in no.10 /AM area is why we struggle against weaker teams who keep men behind the ball. If Pogba sticks around and plays there with McT and Fred behind, the prospects are good.

Fred has really improved under Ole.

As for Ole not being under pressure, I think we all know that’s not true.
If we couldn't break down Watford then of course tactics are an issue. Every single game we don't get a result Ole will generally us the team was too slow as an excuse. Isn't it his job to be on the sidelines screaming and shouting at his players to quicken the tempo? Picking team selections isn't enough I'm afraid if you want to be a top manager.

Has Fred really improved under Ole or is it because he's getting an extended number of games? I wouldn't have any problems praising a manager if I can see a marked improvement but to be honest the only one I can see is Rashford but he's still very inconsistent which is understandable given his age.

The bolded part up until very recently I would have agreed with you. Now I'm not so sure. Ed has a very big decision to make. Talking about long term plan and youth for me is just an excuse that when things inevitably go wrong they've covered their arses and hopefully will appease a lot of the fans, which is a masterstroke because it seems to be working with almost 50% of cafsters prepared to stick with him. BUT for the first time in a long time we have a potential manager who could be a lot better fit than all the managers post SAF in Poch, who's sitting on his sofa at home waiting for a call from a club who would be very interested in what he has to offer. Poch isn't everyones favourite but he is hands down a lot better manager than Ole. Does Ed play it safe and stick with his yes man or does he actually do his job and think of what's actually best for United?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The amount of flip flop fans is hilarious.

Also, seems a lot of you all want short term success over long term stability and success.

If you want short term success, shouldve stuck with Mourinho.....oh wait.

Sure we lost again, but we go again next week.

Entitled fans once again showing their worth.

Wah wah we lost again Ole’s cr@p wah wah

Sack Ole, Bring in Poch, we lose a bunch of games sack poch, bring in someone else.

But hey ho, let’s bring in Red Cafe’s Messiah in Pochettino. He’ll sort this lost out. Won’t he.

Entitled fans are Entitled.
This post isn't even worthy of the main forum.

Son

Brexit FC. How is such claptrap allowed to go without comment. Many dont rate Jesse lingard. Many dont rate phil jones. I personally am not a big fan of pogba but it's nothing to do with his race or nationality simply to do with his infuriating inconsistency. Differing opinions make the game what is is.
Again your passive attitude towards issues is exactly what the Glazers will love. It’s true many don’t rate Lingard or our manager but they are not bold enough to ask for their head in public like Pogba.

Different rules for different people.

If Pogba is deemed too inconsistent despite him been our actual player of the season last year what is your opinion on our terribly inconsistent manager?

OrcaFat

If we couldn't break down Watford then of course tactics are an issue. Every single game we don't get a result Ole will generally us the team was too slow as an excuse. Isn't it his job to be on the sidelines screaming and shouting at his players to quicken the tempo? Picking team selections isn't enough I'm afraid if you want to be a top manager.

Has Fred really improved under Ole or is it because he's getting an extended number of games? I wouldn't have any problems praising a manager if I can see a marked improvement but to be honest the only one I can see is Rashford but he's still very inconsistent which is understandable given his age.

The bolded part up until very recently I would have agreed with you. Now I'm not so sure. Ed has a very big decision to make. Talking about long term plan and youth for me is just an excuse that when things inevitably go wrong they've covered their arses and hopefully will appease a lot of the fans, which is a masterstroke because it seems to be working with almost 50% of cafsters prepared to stick with him. BUT for the first time in a long time we have a potential manager who could be a lot better fit than all the managers post SAF in Poch, who's sitting on his sofa at home waiting for a call from a club who would be very interested in what he has to offer. Poch isn't everyones favourite but he is hands down a lot better manager than Ole. Does Ed play it safe and stick with his yes man or does he actually do his job and think of what's actually best for United?
Fair arguments. Personally I don’t think Poch is that good. Look at the last nine months and unless you bring up a ton of excuses, he’s been dog shite. I’d rather make excuses for Ole than for Poch.

I agree we should be able to beat Watford but I don’t think tactics were to blame. Our threat increased tenfold after Pogba came on and that was not tactics but personnel. If you were arguing we should have started Pogba then I would agree that is arguably a mistake by Ole.

Jonno

If you think 15 losses in 36 is not enough to get the sack at with the players we have I don't know what to tell you. I was merely comparing Ole to a manager that is considered to be the worst united manager post Sir Alex (tbf I think Ole is a lot worse than Moyes).

I just cant understand why some people actually feel Ole deserves more time. Is it the amazing football we are playing? the great results we are getting? His past achievements? a clear sign of progress from him taking over to now?

I know it's not something as silly as he used to play for us.
Re-read my post, I simply compared the squads each manager took over. Impressive rant though.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Fair arguments. Personally I don’t think Poch is that good. Look at the last nine months and unless you bring up a ton of excuses, he’s been dog shite. I’d rather make excuses for Ole than for Poch.

I agree we should be able to beat Watford but I don’t think tactics were to blame. Our threat increased tenfold after Pogba came on and that was not tactics but personnel. If you were arguing we should have started Pogba then I would agree that is arguably a mistake by Ole.
I can see why people would think that Poch isn't that good but I think there were a lot more circumstances involved than just Poch isn't good enough. Before this season started and if Ole wasn't our manager if you had of asked any United supporter on who would they prefer to be manager I would hazard a guess and say at least 80% would of been in favour of Poch and personally I don't think a few bad months under exceptional circumstances should change that.

I think against Watford tactics and the players not being motivated were the key to us not getting anything out of the game. They simply wanted it more than us. We could use Lingard and DeGea howlers as an excuse but Watford still deserved to win the game and it's happening in too many games for it to be coincidence.

The reason I keep on about tactics is because we've struggled all season (and a good part of last) to break teams down but on the pitch nothing has changed. The managers job is to look at our weaknesses and try and correct them. Not just keeping on trying to do the same thing. This is a massive part of management and I'm afraid I don't think Ole is tactically astute enough to be our manager.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
After yesterday’s defeat Ole was talking like a manager who’s been in the job 12 weeks not 12 months. So don’t really think he’s under pressure or has the intelligence to see that performances and results are not acceptable.

AshRK

I still cannot fathom how he was offered a permanent deal before the end of the season. Bayern have not made the same mistake by offering their caretaker a permanent deal because he got some wins. How can anyone defend this board is beyond me? They have taken many stupid decisions but this just tops it.

OrcaFat

After yesterday’s defeat Ole was talking like a manager who’s been in the job 12 weeks not 12 months. So don’t really think he’s under pressure or has the intelligence to see that performances and results are not acceptable.
I can’t think of many more pressurised jobs in the world. He’s handling the pressure and the club are trying not to make it worse for him but the pressure is there. Every loss heaps more pressure and it must be agony for him. But he is working away, trying his best for the club (even if that means squat) and putting on a brave face (and honest) for the fans and media. I’m not sure if people want to see him blubbing on camera or what.

He has to believe that he will turn it around but he’s rightly frustrated when the players put on a shitshow like yesterday. They’re good players and have done very well in some games but they are inconsistent and lacking top quality in key creative areas. If the players were truly good enough, you could just send them out without any instructions at all and say “lads, it’s Watford”.

AshRK

I honestly dont think Ole is under pressure from those above him.
That's the big issue. he seems very content. He thinks he has 3 or 4 years to fix this mess so who cares about short term. He has to change his approach big time if we wants to be successful here.

Ancient Of Days

He did give an explanation. Team was too slow and Pogba improved it. Tactics were not the issue.

The lack of quality in no.10 /AM area is why we struggle against weaker teams who keep men behind the ball. If Pogba sticks around and plays there with McT and Fred behind, the prospects are good.

Fred has really improved under Ole.

is that so? So Ole needs one of the best midfielders in the world to beat the worst team in the premiership?

And tell me why did we lose to Crystal Palace at home eariler in August and struggle to break down Wolves and Southampton in the following games when Pogba started?

Tactics weren't the problem? Just tempo and Pogba? This is just dumb childishness. Of course tactics were the reason. Watford played us off the park and their players were doing party tricks on the ball, because it was so easy to play through our team.

And these excuses are wearing thin

I mean this inept fraud of a coach has had every excuse that could ever be dreamt up in the world made to excuse his incompetence.

Before it was Martial, before that Mctominay was the one who was going to improve things, Then it was Rashford, Woodward, Mourinho, toxic players and now it's Pogba as if we've never struggled with him in the team

Seriously what is it going to be next after this clown continues to drown the club with Pogba on the field?

Judas

Open to offers
That's the big issue. he seems very content. He thinks he has 3 or 4 years to fix this mess so who cares about short term. He has to change his approach big time if we wants to be successful here.
Well no he doesn't, not if he's been convinced he's very safe, which seems to be what all noise from the club is. He seems beyond comfortable.

Alabaster Codify7

is that so? So Ole needs one of the best midfielders in the world to beat the worst team in the premiership?

And tell me why did we lose to Crystal Palace at home eariler in August and struggle to break down Wolves and Southampton in the following games when Pogba started?

Tactics weren't the problem? Just tempo and Pogba? This is just dumb childishness. Of course tactics were the reason. Watford played us off the park and their players were doing party tricks on the ball, because it was so easy to play through our team.

And these excuses are wearing thin

I mean this inept fraud of a coach has had every excuse that could ever be dreamt up in the world made to excuse his incompetence.

Before it was Martial, before that Mctominay was the one who was going to improve things, Then it was Rashford, Woodward, Mourinho, toxic players and now it's Pogba as if we've never struggled with him in the team

Seriously what is it going to be next after this clown continues to drown the club with Pogba on the field?
I'll tell you what the excuse will be.

Pogba again. Only this time it'll be "Pogba isnt good/consistent enough" and posters will want him replaced by someone 'more United'. Someone more 'the United way'. Someone more British and less flashy and ultimately less good.

Basically the excuses will never go away as long as Ole is there. It'll never be him that's accountable for some.

Judas

Open to offers
I'll tell you what the excuse will be.

Pogba again. Only this time it'll be "Pogba isnt good/consistent enough" and posters will want him replaced by someone 'more United'. Someone more 'the United way'. Someone more British and less flashy and ultimately less good.

Basically the excuses will never go away as long as Ole is there. It'll never be him that's accountable for some.
Aren't you ITK? Whats happening behind the scenes? Whats the vibe in the canteen?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
If you haven't got someone with the quality of Pogba at your disposal to play the number 10 role then why set-up with that formation in the first place when the other options are so awful in-comparison ?

And surely (Dont call me Shirley) Ole and the coaching staff are smarter than just relying on one formation and tactic ?

Denis79

He easily has the worst squad out of our previous managers post SAF. We are relying heavily on youngsters and a 'brazilian' guy from the ukrainian league who seems to be still finding his feet.
Still more than adequate to beat Watford and the likes. Poor excuse.

PoTMS

How many managers are unarguably better managers than Ole in the league? I reckon with the addition of Ancelotti, it's at least half.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Listening to talksport - they gave the stat of against West ham, Watford, Everton, Southampton, SU, Villa, Palace, Bournemouth, Wolves - where 27 points were available this season we've taken 4. FOUR!! Quite simply pathetic and more importantly unacceptable for our club to perform like this. Ole's biggest challenge right now is to figure out this problem. I am desperate for him to be successful - genuinely hope he can do it, but there's only so long we can keep going like this.

bsCallout

The one word to describe this club is PASSIVE.

There is no sense of urgency or aggression from ANYONE.
It even seems players brought in become numb and don't react.

I wanted Ole to succeed but all I see from him and his coaching staff is a passive, tame attitude.

Where is the fire or the will to win from ANYONE.

I'm thinking this was what Mourinho couldn't accept from the club, the overall passive attitude. We need winners and players with some bite.

This is the first time in my life Ive been angry with footballers and the club, because no one is putting in the aggression we require.

As much as Klopp looks a prat, there is a reason his teams play with passion and bite, he sets the tone.

Ancient Of Days

Listening to talksport - they gave the stat of against West ham, Watford, Everton, Southampton, SU, Villa, Palace, Bournemouth, Wolves - where 27 points were available this season we've taken 4. FOUR!! Quite simply pathetic and more importantly unacceptable for our club to perform like this. Ole's biggest challenge right now is to figure out this problem. I am desperate for him to be successful - genuinely hope he can do it, but there's only so long we can keep going like this.
This is the problem. This isn't Ole Chester United,

You should be desperate for United to be successful and for that to happen we don't need amateur dinosaurs like Ole in charge who has had enough time to prove his capabilities and he's failed.

7% win record when dominating possession is a damning stat in itself and shows he doesn't know how to coach the players to break down teams when in possession. He now has a worse overall record since becoming permanent than David Moyes

Every which way you look at it you find out how much a donkey job he has done so far.

Paul_Scholes18

How many managers are unarguably better managers than Ole in the league? I reckon with the addition of Ancelotti, it's at least half.
Klopp, Pep, Rodgers, Lampard for sure. Wilder, Nuno definetly based on this year. Mourinho based on his past, but he can also get toxic with worse results than Ole.
Anchelotti based on his past too, but he did poorly at Napoli. Pellegrini based on his past too although West Ham have been poor this season.
Bruce, Dyche and Hodgeson are not playing sexy football, but they do much better with the teams they got (although would not want them here as they play defensive counter attacking football too).
Potter much better too although he might try to play too much short passing football with a poor side.

The rest may be at the same level as Ole. Although I don't think Ole would improve any of those bottom sides much apart from maybe Watford and possibly Norwich.

redshaw

Wasn't long ago Ole was talking how we're not that team that got beat 4-0 at Everton last season. I don't think yesterday was as bad but it was close and could easily see some sides doing us 4-0 with how we went about playing for most of the match. Very fragile side and not much inspiration from the staff.

It's crazy how we need to go 2-0, not 1-0 in order to respond. Happened a few times.

Cantona in disguise

Again your passive attitude towards issues is exactly what the Glazers will love. It’s true many don’t rate Lingard or our manager but they are not bold enough to ask for their head in public like Pogba.

Different rules for different people.

If Pogba is deemed too inconsistent despite him been our actual player of the season last year what is your opinion on our terribly inconsistent manager?
My opinion right now on ole is it's time for him to go. I love ole but I can see his faults. Shame the same cant be said about the pogba fan boys. Massive talent. Hasn't shown it enough for united. Every excuse is made for him, I make no excuses for any player or individual i support united. Not ole or pogba.

hobbers

Almost all of them.

If Ole was sacked, and a vacancy opened up at any other club in the league, does anyone see a Chairman taking a punt on him? Nope. Clubs with high ambitions like Everton wouldn't go near someone like Ole. And any club wanting to stave off relegation only need cast their minds back to Cardiff.

It's no exaggeration to say that the United job is the only managerial job Ole could land in any of the top leagues in Europe.

Alabaster Codify7

Almost all of them.

If Ole was sacked, and a vacancy opened up at any other club in the league, does anyone see a Chairman taking a punt on him? Nope. Clubs with high ambitions like Everton wouldn't go near someone like Ole. And any club wanting to stave off relegation only need cast their minds back to Cardiff.

It's no exaggeration to say that the United job is the only managerial job Ole could land in any of the top leagues in Europe.

I've been mulling over my earlier comment(s) about being convinced Ole's the worst manager in the Premier League. I'm going to actually give this a proper go, and be perfectly honest about my assessments rather than just talk myself into thinking that someone is better than him. I won't bother listing those that are.

Not better / questionable if better
Mikel Arteta
Ralf Hassenhutl
Dean Smith
Daniel Farke

So not the worst, I will retract that statement. But in the top 5 worst in my eyes, comfortably.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
In a long line of feck ups, appointing Ole on a permanent contract has got to be Woodward’s worst.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The problems at United are structural and are centered around recruitment. We have have a bunch of accountants and the Glazer siblings deciding who is the manager and when to sack him. Having brought in that manager from a flawed process we then have that person driving our transfer strategy and when it fails we bring in the next one using the same process, rinse and repeat. Then you wake up six years later and you have a patched up squad that cost hundreds of millions to assemble.
A very accurate assessment.
Football is essentially about people.
And the recruitment of people nowadays is a highly complex process.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I hope we are starting talks with Poch about taking over sometime. Even in the summer.

Don't think the board has the balls to sack him now, or they simply don't care. Best I can hope for is Poch taking over in the summer.

We look completely lost when we are in possession. Our only chance at scoring goals is to give up the ball, hope they don't score and then counter.

Not even going to blame the likes of Pogba if they were to leave. We will get nowhere with Ole as our manager.
My only hope for Poch is based that Ed becomes old Ed. "Look, shiny new toy which everybody want. Give me, give me, give me".

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I hope we are starting talks with Poch about taking over sometime. Even in the summer.

Don't think the board has the balls to sack him now, or they simply don't care. Best I can hope for is Poch taking over in the summer.

We look completely lost when we are in possession. Our only chance at scoring goals is to give up the ball, hope they don't score and then counter.

Not even going to blame the likes of Pogba if they were to leave. We will get nowhere with Ole as our manager.
all of this

redIndianDevil

Can someone please tell me what Carrick does, apart from sitting gormless on the bench? We already know some of the players don't like McKenna's coaching methods, but I just wonder what Carrick does, as he was never the most vocal on the pitch to start with.
What do you expect from a guy who has never in his life coached before? The first thing we as a club should do is stop giving out important job offers to guys who have zero experience. There are coaching badges and other stuff to gain experience.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What do you expect from a guy who has never in his life coached before? The first thing we as a club should do is stop giving out important job offers to guys who have zero experience. There are coaching badges and other stuff to gain experience.
Carrick has his badges.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Kevin Keegan Resigns from England position

Keegan, 49, who took the job only last year, took full responsibility for the defeat. He said: "I have had all the help I have needed but I have not been quite good enough. It's the end of the road for me.."

"I feel I have had more than a fair chance. I have no complaints against the media. There's no one to blame for myself. I am not the man to take it a stage further and I know that."

Lippi Resigns from China position

. 'I take full responsibility for this loss and hereby announce my official resignation.'

For any team, players should give their all once they are on the pitch and execute what the head coach had planned for,' Lippi said.

'If they are afraid and lacking motivation, will and courage and failing to execute what we had trained for, I will take responsibility for that as head coach.'

Here's some more managers who forfeited their compo and instead did the honorable thing by putting the club before their own interests

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49428721

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/oct/03/neil-harris-quits-millwall-manager

It has been revealed yesterday that Darlington’s manager Tommy Wright has resigned from his role with the club, prior to their final game of the season.

The club currently sit in a disappointing 16th in the National League North, but also finished 12th with the Quakers last season.

https://fanbanter.co.uk/darlington-manager-announces-resignation/

Reports suggesting Solsjkear would resign if he thought it's in the clubs best interests.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ited-manager-thought-clubs-best-interest.html

As for his interviews, he could have taken the opportunity to provide insight into why we failed to break down the worst team in the premiership and explained what went wrong tactically so we have a little bit of faith that he has some clue as a coach. But no, we he just falls back into the convenient fairy tale carrot on the stick rebuild fantasy

Even Mourinho knows the deal

''I’m going to try and get a job like Ole has, and speak all the time about the future.''

"I think it’s a great situation, three-year contract – the future, the young players, no pressure. I think it’s a great job to do in such a giant club."
I thought you might say Keegan- the guy was literally cracking up. Lippi just wanted out.
Jose's just trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.