Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_Scholes18

I’m always here to criticise when things don’t go right so I’m here to praise the win today.

He made a lot of changes and I feared the worst before kick off but credit where it’s due we played well today and have put a decent run together to get us in a position to challenge for 4th.

Lets hope we can go with the momentum and put 4-5 league wins together on the bounce. Well played Ole.
Next one is Arsenal and it should suit us well. Then it is Norwich at home which should be a win even if they try to park the bus.

Liverpool will be very hard to win even if there will be space to counter. Without Mctominay I fear for our midfield.
I am sure Liverpool will be fired up for this one a lot too even if they have won the league pretty much.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Yes I would. I think the team has shown very little improvement. Second half we were terrible once again.
Take a look at the match stats if you need convincing:

Manchester United

Burnley
74.4Possession %25.6
9Shots on target4
28Shots6
842Touches428
650Passes228
3Tackles13
16Clearances54
11Corners3
Domination in every department that counts.

Yes, we missed a tonne of chances to increase our lead in the second half, but fortunately, it didn't cost us the 3 points as it has on many occasions this season. It helps that we were defensively sound too. It was a proper performance against an anti-football side like Burnley. That type of side we draw or lose to more often than not.

Robbie Boy

Those last two games have given me hope. I've been here before though so please no more false dawns.

Both were tricky games against horrible defensive sides and we looked good in both. These are literally the games in which we have badly struggled.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Those last two games have given me hope. I've been here before though so please no more false dawns.

Both were tricky games against horrible defensive sides and we looked good in both. These are literally the games in which we have badly struggled.
I hear ya.

SteveW

Several of our players have really improved since Oles come in. Martial, Rashford, Fred and Pereira just to name a few.

I can't wait to see what we look like say another year down the road with a few quality signings added.

Great setup today, thought we completely nullified those talentless thugs other than that 15 minute stretch in the second half. But even then I didn't feel as afraid as I usually do when we lose control away from home. Credit to Ole, starting lineup was quite risky with all the rotation but very workmanlike performance. Took advantage of their mistakes and should have had a few more. Hopefully this gives him and the team confidence going into away games against these lower teams.

His one negative today in my opinion was the strange subs and their timing. But it worked so who am I to complain. Think that's an area he can really improve in though

Paul_Scholes18

We got some gifts though that helped us get the lead both times. I think the big key tonight was that we defended really good. Burnley created very little.

Once we get space to counter though we are deadly against everyone.

MDFC Manager

Often it is small margins that give that appearance.

I mean, how many penalties did we miss? I believe the probability of scoring a penalty is about the 70% mark, but we missed 4 I think?

Throw in De Gea errors as well which have been costly.

You can understand one or the other happening but both is definitely an element of being unlucky.

I know, I know it sounds like ifs and buts... That's how it goes sometimes.

Take even Rashford's misses vs Palace and Wolves, if they go in that's an extra 4 points.......
I don't disagree, just thinking what could have been.

One thing is for certain, this is still very much a work in progress. We should ideally stick with him till at least next December.

Robbie Boy

We got some gifts though that helped us get the lead both times. I think the big key tonight was that we defended really good. Burnley created very little.

We still desperately need a quality creative CM or the return to fitness/form of Pogba. Still though, two good wins with 6 scored and only 1 conceded.

Keefy18

Our supporters need to stop thinking this way.

We are going to have more hiccups between now and May and even likely a few at the start of next season probably, hopefully less and less.

lysglimt

Scout
Take a look at the match stats if you need convincing:

Manchester United

Burnley
74.4Possession %25.6
9Shots on target4
28Shots6
842Touches428
650Passes228
3Tackles13
16Clearances54
11Corners3
Domination in every department that counts.

Yes, we missed a tonne of chances to increase our lead in the second half, but fortunately, it didn't cost us the 3 points as it has on many occasions this season. It helps that we were defensively sound too. It was a proper performance against an anti-football side like Burnley. That type of side we draw or lose to more often than not.
Not convinced by this - clearly Burnley did better in clearances and tackles....

Paul_Scholes18

We still desperately need a quality creative CM or the return to fitness/form of Pogba. Still though, two good wins with 6 scored and only 1 conceded.
Yeah it is great that we won it using a large part of our squad too. The fight for points is still in the squad and many players can do a job defensivly at least.
It is in attack we lack options and ideas. Martial look like he is in form right now so that is great. Rashford has scored, but has not impressed me tonight. He totally struggled against them at the start and most of what he did failed.
Even the goal was a bit lucky. Let's see what will happen. Arsenal should suit us very well I think, but they might improve fast under Arteta.

Robbie Boy

Our supporters need to stop thinking this way.

We are going to have more hiccups between now and May and even likely a few at the start of next season probably, hopefully less and less.
There's a huge difference between hiccups and huge patches of poor form though. The last two games are games we should be winning and we did. In fact, convincingly so in both games and we looked good all over the pitch which is hugely promising. Burnley and Newcastle are horrible teams to play against and a few months ago there's no way we were getting 6 points; scoring 6 and conceding 1 from these two matches. But credit where it's due, I've seen big improvements over both games and William's and Fred have been two huge positives without the obvious mentioning of Rashford and Martial.

Amarsdd

you say that but the two goals against Newcastle and one today came from intense pressing from the front which forced the mistakes. How many times have we seen Liverpool and City do that to teams last couple of seasons?

Keefy18

Yes I would. I think the team has shown very little improvement. Second half we were terrible once again.
Terrible?

They literally had 1 shot from Bardsley from distance.

We're sat 2nd in the form table behind Liverpool. We've one loss in 9 games.

Martial has been involved in a goal every 110 mins
Rashford has been involved in a goal every 99 mins

If you can't see the improvement you haven't a feckin clue and that is genuinely as polite as I can be.

Last edited:

Robbie Boy

Yeah it is great that we won it using a large part of our squad too. The fight for points is still in the squad and many players can do a job defensivly at least.
It is in attack we lack options and ideas. Martial look like he is in form right now so that is great. Rashford has scored, but has not impressed me tonight. He totally struggled against them at the start and most of what he did failed.
Even the goal was a bit lucky. Let's see what will happen. Arsenal should suit us very well I think, but they might improve fast under Arteta.
I don't think Rashford played overly well but he's scored without playing too well and that'll be a good confidence booster. Part of the problem is how deep Martial and Rashford often have to come due to a lack of quality service through the middle. We have good runners in there but they need to be supplemented with some creative quality.

Listen I'm hugely sceptical of Ole but I'll give credit where it's due and I've been impressed over the last two games. When you look at our starting line up tonight, at least 4 of the first eleven should be squad players at absolute best. With some more quality I think we might actually be quite a decent team. But hey, ultimately we could hit another slump, it's just too hard to call.

Keefy18

There's a huge difference between hiccups and huge patches of poor form though. The last two games are games we should be winning and we did. In fact, convincingly so in both games and we looked good all over the pitch which is hugely promising. Burnley and Newcastle are horrible teams to play against and a few months ago there's no way we were getting 6 points; scoring 6 and conceding 1 from these two matches. But credit where it's due, I've seen big improvements over both games and William's and Fred have been two huge positives without the obvious mentioning of Rashford and Martial.
What huge patches of poor form?

Our form is only bettered by Liverpool currently. We've one loss in 9, Only 3 losses in 17 games. Our form is actually pretty damn good. Our supporters seem to think we have a divine right to be the very best every single year, we won't always be that.

The league is extremely competitive, this isn't Spain were two teams have a monopoly on the league with zero competition. Our supporters need to get with it and realize this. There is an equal share of TV rights and clubs who previously couldn't compete now make it very difficult for most sides.

Robbie Boy

What huge patches of poor form?

Our form is only bettered by Liverpool currently. We've one loss in 9, Only 3 losses in 17 games. Our form is actually pretty damn good. Our supporters seem to think we have a divine right to be the very best every single year, we won't always be that.

The league is extremely competitive, this isn't Spain were two teams have a monopoly on the league with zero competition. Our supporters need to get with it and realize this. There is an equal share of TV rights and clubs who previously couldn't compete now make it very difficult for most sides.
I'm talking of huge patches of poor form post SAF after promising spells.

Andy_Cole

Random bit of constructive criticism for Ole - post match you need to put more pressure on the refs and stop being so nice. Dan James could have been killed out there.

Loon

:lol:
We’ve had more dawns than a Chingford nightclub, but it would be so pleasing to see him actually turn a corner. I did not think he would.

SAFMUTD

Good result but overall I see the same problems, we dont generate enough oportunities against low block teams, the first goal today came from a clear defensive mistake and the subs are wrong in my opiniom, specially taking out Martial for Shaw.

We were struggling and instead of adapting the midfield to get back posesion we took out our striker to sent in a left back, what the feck was that? If Burnley scored we would be killing him for that lame sub to be honest, luckily for us it will all be forgotten because we managed to get the result.

lRed

Good result but overall I see the same problems, we dont generate enough oportunities against low block teams, the first goal today came from a clear defensive mistake and the subs are wrong in my opiniom, specially taking out Martial for Shaw.

We were struggling and instead of adapting the midfield to get back posesion we took out our striker to sent in a left back, what the feck was that? If Burnley scored we would be killing him for that lame sub to be honest, luckily for us it will all be forgotten because we managed to get the result.
As always, negative people see what they want to see.
Andreas created the chance leading to Martial's goal by his pressing, that's Football for you mate.
Martial needed to rest, of course redcafe people know better how to handle a team than our staff.

I'm more than happy with the way we're playing, this is the best football we are playing since SAF in my opinion, vertical and fluid, bagging goals and enjoying ourselves.

Paul_Scholes18

I agree about struggling against a low block. I don't think the sub was wrong though. Shaw helped improve our defense down that side and we could use Rashford for the counter with Lingard and James. Could have taken off Rashford instead I guess, but it was not a stupid sub to get some fresh legs.

Keefy18

The goal came from a high press we created.

Our 2nd came because he shut up shop and over crowded the midfield and invited the pressure on so we could counter attack, which we did for our 2nd.

If's and buts... If we'd scored more of our penalties earlier in the season we'd be sitting prettier. If De Gea hadn't made costly errors, we'd be sitting prettier.

It works both ways.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I agree about struggling against a low block. I don't think the sub was wrong though. Shaw helped improve our defense down that side and we could use Rashford for the counter with Lingard and Hames. Could have taken off Rashford instead I guess, but it was not a stupid sub to get some fresh legs.
James ain't Colombian mate:D

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
There are signs of positivity at the club again but my word we need to buy 1/2 good players this January. The squad isn't good enough.

Robbie Boy

Ole has mostly received credit on the forum for the teams performances in the last two games from what I have seen.
I would tend to ignore posters who use phrases like "Ole haters" tbh.

But I'm with you, the mood has generally been positive bar one or two gloomy goats.

edgecutter

Good win today and good on ole rotating the players effectively. We now need some consistency when facing these weaker sides picking up results like today.

AshRK

I have been really liking how he has been managing our young players. Chose to rest Greenwood. Slowly introducing Williams. I am pretty sure he will do the same with Laird and Garner. Kudos to him for that.

Moyes didn't protect Januzaj enough and same with van gaal who was just letting all these youngster play with pressure. Ole has done it really well so far.

alexthelion

Ole has mostly received credit on the forum for the teams performances in the last two games from what I have seen.
But there are the same, usual suspects that are continually negative and will never give Ole or the team any credit whatsoever. There are even some in this very thread. You can tell from their username what the post will contain.

lysglimt

Scout
11-4-3 in our last 18 games (including that Astana-game) - and still the majority of our fans here want him sacked...now that is truly astonishing...in a bad way

Status
Not open for further replies.