Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Alex's reaction to Martial - Shaw sub.
hahha! Fergie made plenty of head-scratchers in his time too in fairness.

I gotta give a lot of credit to the coaching staff for the past month of football, Watford aside it's been a very good month and we've had to adapt our tactics and rotate our selections, last night was a perfect example of using the entire squad during to perfection during the festive period.

I said it after Watford, that Ole can and should earn his time here just as any other manager, there is no excuse for this squad that can rotate like last night and completely dominate Burnley away to be lingering in 8th, not "squad rebuilding" or "giving youth a chance", our squad should be challenging for top 4 at least, and now after a good December it is. That alone should buy the manager time.

Flexdegea

The dark sith lord Jose Mourinho seems to have caused this new 'football manager' disciple term to be thrown about these days like some XG invention.

Earlier in the season during a united home game he flat out was using it now people cant stop saying and consistently say it now even when we win against teams who employ the 'low block'.

Keefy18

We sit at 5th, and have 31 fecking points after 20 games. I say you can keep your politeness to yourself and stop being deluded with that “2nd in the form table” crap. We just played fecking Burnley and looked like the same hot and cold inconsistent average mid table team we have been all season.
Mate you are utterly deluded!

That squad is absolute scutter there's no 2 ways about it. We are a side that will challenge for top 4, not one that challenges for league titles so step back into reality and accept it.

Judas

Open to offers
We sit at 5th, and have 31 fecking points after 20 games. I say you can keep your politeness to yourself and stop being deluded with that “2nd in the form table” crap. We just played fecking Burnley and looked like the same hot and cold inconsistent average mid table team we have been all season.
how could we look exactly like we have all season when we won the sort of game we’ve lost plenty of times? This time of year, last night was a flawless performance. Maybe you’re just new to football. You’re so far gone down the misery hole I’m not sure you know how to get out at this point, I’d stop watching Utd, it clearly brings you no joy anymore.

Stacks

I've come in here to give Ole some love. Results this last 6 weeks have been pretty good. I don't think he'll lead us to any great heights but I can respect results and we have been getting them recently

Giggsyking

hahha! Fergie made plenty of head-scratchers in his time too in fairness.

I gotta give a lot of credit to the coaching staff for the past month of football, Watford aside it's been a very good month and we've had to adapt our tactics and rotate our selections, last night was a perfect example of using the entire squad during to perfection during the festive period.

I said it after Watford, that Ole can and should earn his time here just as any other manager, there is no excuse for this squad that can rotate like last night and completely dominate Burnley away to be lingering in 8th, not "squad rebuilding" or "giving youth a chance", our squad should be challenging for top 4 at least, and now after a good December it is. That alone should buy the manager time.
Sir Alex went like " WTF is that sub"

Lynty

The average age of our front line is 21.6 (and Lingard)

Anyone who expects consistency from these lads are insane.

CR1

the Ole throwing chairs and tables bit is how you know that's utter BS. Forget the part where it's out of character, we hadn't even started dropping games to get to that point of frustration. I don't know who this journo is but no one has a 100% record and they all have personal opinions and agendas people tend to mix in with what they report
Do you now Ole personally or how do you know it's out of character? It might also not have been *literally* throwing chairs and tables. Could be a figure of speech, I don't know.

Of course all journos have their agendas, but then so does any other journey you might cite to support your position.

In any case, highly unlikely Ole will have turned down an opportunity to sign more players. That's virtually unheard of from a manager.

Woodward: "Hey Ole I can sign a world class 6 for you if you want"

Ole: "No thanks, I'm good"

DBT85

Whoever taught you bunch of knobheads the phrase “low block” has a lot to answer for.
Is that you Mr Souness?

The average age of our front line is 21.6 (and Lingard)

Anyone who expects consistency from these lads are insane.
When its Rashford, Martial and Greenwood, its about the same age, with an avg transfer cost of £15m and a total of 45 goals or assists in 4500 mins in all comps this season. So a goal or assist every 100 mins. Considering the age and the lack of decent creation behind them, that's not bad going.

Last edited:

SER19

We're top of Premier league form table at the moment. (obviously Liverpool have only played 4 in last 6)

Lots of doom and gloom but the progress, slow progress, is clear I think

Judas

Open to offers
I can’t believe some of the posts being so negative. A comfortable 2-0 away win, our second game in 48 hours, with key players missing, and some people are talking like we got hammered and lost last night?

I have major doubts about Ole long term, but the weirdos unable to praise us when we do well are truly the most pathetic people on here.

Robbie Boy

Agreed. Results wise it's probably not, but entertainment wise we are moving somewhere. At least we are not as boring as we were under LVG and Jose's second season onwards. I like that our counter attacks now lead somewhere.
We are definitely playing much better stuff than under LvG, Moyes and from around the middle of Jose's second season onwards.

meamth

Do you now Ole personally or how do you know it's out of character? It might also not have been *literally* throwing chairs and tables. Could be a figure of speech, I don't know.

Of course all journos have their agendas, but then so does any other journey you might cite to support your position.

In any case, highly unlikely Ole will have turned down an opportunity to sign more players. That's virtually unheard of from a manager.

Woodward: "Hey Ole I can sign a world class 6 for you if you want"

Ole: "No thanks, I'm good"
It's more like,

Woodward: I can sign Dybala with his demands of 300k per week wages.

Ole: Does he know about the weather here?

Woodward: He doesn't have any clue.

Ole: No thanks. What about that kid from Dortmund?

Woodward: No chance this season.

Ole: We will wait then.

OverratedOpinion

It is hard for me because I am not sure how much of our not buying a striker or midfielder was down to him but so far this season I think he has done well. We all said at the start of the season that we would be a bottom half team if Pogba was injured for any length of time but here we are.

I don't believe he will be our long term manager but he is actually doing what a lot of people give Van Gaal credit for in laying some stable foundations, even if we end up finishing sixth this season the next coach will have so much to work with. I never really hated Mourinho but I think a huge difference is that you can tell Ole cares about the long term future of United above trying to get an immediate trophy on his CV.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
When we win almost every decision by the manager seems right and logical and when we lose or drop points is often the opposite. Black and white. The winner takes it all.

For those who are interested you can listen to Toto Wolff (AMG Mercedes) and Vinod Kumar (Tata Com) about leadership and management on You Tube. Insightful conversation about “culture” and how to create a “safe environment” where people can express ideas, discuss, learn and from there move on and do better.

Ole seems to have created a “safe environment“ for those he believes is good enough to be in our squad. We see more commitment, joy and happiness (Martial) and the players seems to care for each other’s. That’s a good sign.

Next step is to install a winning mentality where failing isn’t an option. I take Juan Mata as an example. Lovely guy but from what I can see he lack that special kind of “killing instincts“that a successful team needs. Liverpool for example has Henderson, Milner, VvD and Fabinho who oozes some sort of “never die” attitude that makes the whole team playing on the edge when necessary. We don’t have those type of characters in our team yet. Zlatan had it in him but but today it’s hard to find a “warrior” among us. Ole needs to identify one or two who’s willing to take that mantle and install those values.

Ole is on the right track but he needs to find his “Carlos Queiroz” in order to improve his tactical knowledge. Our 4231 formation sometimes makes us limited and predictable, I prefer a 433 with a offensive triangle in the middle.

If he can improve those things then maybe I think he has a long term future with us. As a Ole out guy that’s strong words but the progress we had done the last couple of months is promising. Watford the exception. Off course it’s early days but if he manage to end up in top four or thereabouts then he has giving himself a good platform to continue as our manager.

Judas

Open to offers
I do think the idea of him bringing in a new assistant might do wonders for this team. Seems to on most accounts be good man manager, I do think we could do with some new ideas.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
We are four points off top four right now. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that those four points (and then some) would have been collected had we had cover for the injuries to the likes of McTominay and Martial this season.

Stephen Howson said on his latest podcast that Ole was going mad to the point of “throwing chairs and tables around” (or words to that effect) when he wasn’t given more signings in the summer…Howson is a very credible journalist who knows a lot of people associated with the club so that settles the issue regarding who made the call not to bring in more players…It was clearly not Ole.

In other words: As far as judging Ole goes, he isn’t perfect but he has done enough to get us into the top four already – it's just that he wasn’t given more signings. That’s my interpretation of the situation obviously, but I really struggle to see how anyone could make a case that a bigger squad wouldn’t have us at least four point higher up the table.

A (belated) Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone!
Isn't he a fan who does YouTube videos ?

meamth

I do think the idea of him bringing in a new assistant might do wonders for this team. Seems to on most accounts be good man manager, I do think we could do with some new ideas.
I bet him, Carrick and Mckenna (whom he used to speak a lot in the sidelines about tactics) will always put something new to experiment on.

Phelan as the old guard to give advices whether it could work or not.

Still haven't bear the fruits though, but I like this model.

Kostov

Mate you are utterly deluded!

That squad is absolute scutter there's no 2 ways about it. We are a side that will challenge for top 4, not one that challenges for league titles so step back into reality and accept it.
Okey pal, I am the one that is deluded while you are the one that put us in the same sentence with Liverpool as the in form team. We are a side that will challenge for top 4 the same way as Wolves and Sheffield United do, and their squads are no better than ours.
how could we look exactly like we have all season when we won the sort of game we’ve lost plenty of times? This time of year, last night was a flawless performance. Maybe you’re just new to football. You’re so far gone down the misery hole I’m not sure you know how to get out at this point, I’d stop watching Utd, it clearly brings you no joy anymore.
So according to you this is the true dawn and we have turned the corner? I am new to football so please enlighten me. And pointing out that it was far from a impressive performance is like touching your eyes for some of you, some like me prefer to analyze the game more than the score line, because after all successful teams are built on more than a result here and there.

Mainoldo

Okey pal, I am the one that is deluded while you are the one that put us in the same sentence with Liverpool as the in form team. We are a side that will challenge for top 4 the same way as Wolves and Sheffield United do, and their squads are no better than ours.

So according to you this is the true dawn and we have turned the corner? I am new to football so please enlighten me. And pointing out that it was far from a impressive performance is like touching your eyes for some of you, some like me prefer to analyze the game more than the score line, because after all successful teams are built on more than a result here and there.
Mate we won. I get what you are trying to do but you are dealing with a lot of happy fans at the minute even if they don’t truly believe in what they are saying they are not going to have you damping the mood.

Just enjoy the victory and when it goes tits up in a couple weeks bring in your points again. You’ll have a better debate.

Judas

Open to offers

So according to you this is the true dawn and we have turned the corner
? I am new to football so please enlighten me. And pointing out that it was far from a impressive performance is like touching your eyes for some of you, some like me prefer to analyze the game more than the score line, because after all successful teams are built on more than a result here and there.
Don’t remember ever saying that sweet cheeks.

Kostov

Mate we won. I get what you are trying to do but you are dealing with a lot of happy fans at the minute even if they don’t truly believe in what they are saying they are not going to have you damping the mood.

Just enjoy the victory and when it goes tits up in a couple weeks bring in your points again. You’ll have a better debate.
It all started after I was trying to point out that it was far from an impressive performance, of course I am glad with the win but wanted to paint the bigger picture. I sincerely wish that I am wrong or deluded but that’s just what I see.

Keefy18

Form guide doesn't lie.

Over the last few months only Liverpool have better form than us.

Nope not quite on the turned the corner bus yet, but our form is very good and there's lots to be positive about if your capable of being unbiased.

We've AWB, Williams, decent centre back pairing that should improve with more playing time.

Fred / McTominay in centre mid, hopefully it'll improve with Pogba sat further in front.

Our attack is only getting better with each game, Rashford and Martial have some of the best attacking returns in Europe I believe right now for goal involvement. With Greenwood being handled brilliantly also.

Simply put, at what point under Moyes, LVG or Jose did our future look this promising for the long term?

Paul_Scholes18

It all started after I was trying to point out that it was far from an impressive performance, of course I am glad with the win but wanted to paint the bigger picture. I sincerely wish that I am wrong or deluded but that’s just what I see.
I agree with you regarding the attack, but we defended very well for once.
Big games coming and a test to see if we can adapt if they learn to stop our counter attacks. City are not stupid enough to play Stones this time too.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Ole haters, what do you really expect? They can/will never give him any credit whatsoever.
I'm not a Ole hater but I am an Ole out and I have to say it was a very good team performance all round so Ole and the players deserve credit for getting a result against a very difficult team to beat.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He gambled by resting full backs and Pogba and he got it right. Especially with full backs who gave us something in attack.
Now little bit unpopular opinion. This game is slight proof( of course that it is only one game) how, despite everything what he brings in defence, our attacking game suffer with AWB in squad. I am not saying that he needs to be benched( of course not) but our coaching team needs to work with him hard on that area. And with Shaw of course.

Awb is wall in defence and with that he deserves his place in first 11 but if Shaw doesn't raise his attacking game, Ole should consider to replacing him for next season with attacking full back. I like Shaw but defensive full backs on both sides are too much.

Rajma

Ole is a nice guy but he absolutely should be protecting his players during the game more by making it clear to the ref he’s not having any of it.

lysglimt

Scout
In hindsight absolutely the right decision but before the game there were serious questions being asked, especially in not even making the bench.

Had we dropped points, this place would have been in uproar and heavily critical of the decision to leave him out.

Fair play to Ole, good call.
There is uproar and heavily critical even when we are winning :)

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I'm ole out.

Not because i hate him. But because we're 12th - 8th under him.

Now that he managed to sneaked in to 4th. He has earnt his time. For now.

Manager is a result business. If he has the result to back him up there's not much ole out can say. The best thing to shut us up is do your job on the pitch. Now that he's done alright it's credit where they're due.

0le

I was wondering last night has this phrase ever been used on here before this season. Recently it's been thrown around like confetti :lol:
Two phrases/words became extremely popular this year:
"Low block" and "agenda".

momo83

Massive Snowflake
"It's taken Liverpool a few years to get to that place and we need to keep on building, because that's where we want to get to"

I've found this quote earlier. Did Ole really said this? If true, wow he just really have become our second David Moyes
It took Liverpool 30 years.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
I was wondering last night has this phrase ever been used on here before this season. Recently it's been thrown around like confetti :lol:
Haha, “low block” became popular after the female pundit used it on sky sports and Graeme Souness was like what’s that... she explained it.... and he was like “so basically defending deep”

El Zoido

I can’t believe some of the posts being so negative. A comfortable 2-0 away win, our second game in 48 hours, with key players missing, and some people are talking like we got hammered and lost last night?

I have major doubts about Ole long term, but the weirdos unable to praise us when we do well are truly the most pathetic people on here.
I’m baffled by it, it was an excellent performance yesterday, at a very tough ground. We were totally dominant for almost the entire game. I see tons of promise in this squad, good times ahead.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Now Haaland has gone elsewhere, I wonder if some of the Ole in camp will be defecting over.

Status
Not open for further replies.