Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
For Ole supporters everything bad about him is stupid. He has done it with Pogba and Rashford this season and even Maguire doesn't look that fully fit to me.
Unsurprisingly, Ole supporters who throw around petty insults.

Irwin99

So what, this is a cup game. I would prefer preserving players for league matches instead.
I understand that but a trophy is a trophy and this is probably the best chance. Can't blame him for that.

I feel like people could probably be a bit more critical of the fact that the attack was pretty one dimensional and insipid until Rashford came on than being critical of a manager putting on his best player to win the game for us.

el3mel

I understand that but a trophy is a trophy and this is probably the best chance. Can't blame him for that.

I feel like people could probably be a bit more critical of the fact that the attack was pretty one dimensional and insipid until Rashford came on than being critical of a manager putting on his best player to win the game for us.
Putting on your best player when he's not fully fit while we have a big game upcoming and as you say we are so reliant on him is stupid for me. It's like he's thinking there's no other way to defeat Wolves at Old Trafford except by risking injured players. The whole situation looks poor. The problem it isn't the first time and people can complain about medical team and things but I don't remember the last time we had so many injuries aggravated in one season because of players being rushed back or playing the match through an injury.

Last edited:

Shark

@NotShark
I still see no clear style of play under this man, we just literally rely on counter attacks or moments of brilliance.

edgar allan

Putting on your best player when he's not fully fit while we have a big game upcoming and as you say we are so reliant on him is stupid for me. It's like he's thinking there's no other way yo defeat Wolves at Old Trafford except risking injured players. The whole situation looks poor. The problem it isn't the first time and people cna complain about medical team and things but I don't remember the last time we had so many injuries aggravated in one season because of players rushed back or playing the match through an injury.
Thats what happenswhen you sell two forwards and don't replace them, you have no choice but to flog the two remaining

Paul_Scholes18

Thats what happenswhen you sell two forwards and don't replace them, you have no choice but to flog the two remaining
At least we have less injuries overall since we have less players that randomly gets injured in training. So having a smaller squad has rewarded us with that.

Gasolin

Our tactic today was send channel balls from the back to exploit space. Manly by runs by James. Yes we had the ball a lot But as usual done nothing with it. We never play between the lines and there is not shape to our attacks when using the fullbacks.

I get what your trying to say. But I think your forcing it. However I’m not going to line better players would make better use of these tactics as I feel you have to be very intelligent to play under Solskjær with good in game management.. as there isn’t much instructions to go of. I can’t see us buying an Iniesta; Messi and Xavi though so this isn’t going to take us far.
I hear you for your last paragraph but it's often that way. Smart players, technically gifted are players who make you win, the collective play becomes better with those players coming in, that's the way it is.

I still remember LVG saying how it's supposed to be the players who have to think by themselves on the pitch. I think most top coaches are like that too.

ben.heff10

I still see no clear style of play under this man, we just literally rely on counter attacks or moments of brilliance.
If "style of play" means Barca 09-11 football to you, then Ole will never have a style of play.

Obviously we've had difficulty this year penetrating bottom half sides but as you said, his style of play IS counter attacking football. At City Pep made signings his first summer, there were still holes in the team so he signed more players the second summer and won the league with 100 points. I'm not comparing Ole to Pep but I think that's the place we're in at the moment - the manager has some of the major building blocks already in place to implement his style of play (Martial, Rashford, Greenwood, James up front; De Gea, Maguire, AWB at the back) but needs to invest further to address our holes in the team (two midfielders, RW, one more defender?).

Nearly every player at the club has progressed under Ole so far (bar De Gea, Young, Matic - although been good recently and was excellent when Ole first came in) and we have had some excellent performances. He's made some massive tactical blunders (Fred + Pereira in a 2 against KDB + Bernardo ahead of Matic is an appalling decision) but he has displayed tactical ability and flexibility in many games. e.g. having Greenwood + Lingard heavily press Spurs' CBs at OT, but then going to City and not pressing at all were both excellent decisions

I'm not saying Ole is the right man for the job long term (I have my concerns of course especially in contrast with Klopp/Pep/other big managers) but he's done alright so far overall - we're still competing in all 3 cups, we're 5th in the league, he's made good signings that will only improve and our players have improved under him. Hopefully he can only get better with time and signings.

Foxbatt

I saw the goal and it was a counter attack as Wolves had pushed up to the half way and Martial turned them and put Mata through.

meamth

Putting on your best player when he's not fully fit while we have a big game upcoming and as you say we are so reliant on him is stupid for me. It's like he's thinking there's no other way to defeat Wolves at Old Trafford except by risking injured players. The whole situation looks poor. The problem it isn't the first time and people can complain about medical team and things but I don't remember the last time we had so many injuries aggravated in one season because of players being rushed back or playing the match through an injury.
What do you expect from a results oriented job?

Your staff said he can play for 30 minutes max, you think you can be that smart arse and say no we don't need that option?

Same as Pogba, when your physio said he can play for a number of minutes, he should believe that data. Not act like a caf smart arse, use that option. Get the results with your best potential of winning.

When a player don't want to play through their pain, they will deemed not good enough, not a United player.

When a player play through injury and gets injured, someone in the club is stupid.

mu4c_20le

Feels like we've been through this before. If the player is on the bench and available for selection then he must've been cleared by the medical team. It's a risk, but waiting until we were 1-0 down would've been worse.

Foxbatt

Lets not bash him tonight. We won the game that had to be won. By all accounts we had chances to score too and they did too to be fair but we won. Lets see how it goes on Sunday.

AndyMUFC

Must admit that some people do seem to act like we’re still in the midst of that really poor start we had. We’re not exactly great but we are past that now.

We’re 5th and still in all the cup competitions for the time being. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not good enough for United in the long term but it’s not exactly a disaster with where we are right now squad wise.

See how the season pans out, especially if we sign Fernandes and add a bit of creativity.

el3mel

Feels like we've been through this before. If the player is on the bench and available for selection then he must've been cleared by the medical team. It's a risk, but waiting until we were 1-0 down would've been worse.
The medical team has been here for years and I don't remember having so many players being rushed back from injuries or playing through an injury during a match just to have their injury aggravated in one season. Of course the manager has the decision to play the player or not.

Last edited:

Paul_Scholes18

The medical team has been here for years and I don't remember having so many players being rushed back from injuries or playing through an injury during a match jus to have their injury aggravated in one season. Of course the manager has the decision to play the player or not.
If they have why have we not replaced them with us having a crazy amount of injuries all the time?

Irwin99

Winter break could be crucial for him. Players are understandably starting to look a bit knackered and the thin squad depth is telling. Don't want a repeat of last season's fatigue collapse (Cardiff, Huddersfield).

Djemba-Djemba

The Rashford sub was understandable. There really wasn't anything happening in that front line and we needed a change to shake up our pretty dire attacking display. Just one of those things sadly.
Exactly this.

It's shit Rashford is injured but he came on at 0-0 and we badly needed a goal. A Wolves defender has clattered into him and his back has spasmed, it's unfortunate but it's just one of those things.

If we'd been knocked out with Rashford sat on the bench all game people would be going mental. Going to Extra time tonight would have also been a disaster so I totally understand why Ole put him on.

The squad is fecking shit and so 2 or 3 injuries leaves us absolutely desperate and on our knees. That is out of Ole's control

Rish Sawhney

I actually blame Periera for Rashford’s injury. He has a habit of playing his passes just short enough for his teammates to get clattered.

Backrow Singer

To a certain extent I think it’s a matter of standards. I’m not going to praise that performance tonight because for me, that would be accepting mediocracy and I’m not going to do that. If that makes me miserable or unrealistic, it is what it is. We gave the ball away too cheaply, too often for my liking, some of the decision making and execution was questionable throughout. Some good individual moments but I found myself getting pretty frustrated watching it again.

I’ll take the win and that’s what it’s all about at the end of the day, especially in the cup but blimey I find us hard work to watch.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'd love to be proven wrong about him and eat full tables of humble pie. What I do like though is there are many things to like about the team that's emerging. These players will definitely need some first class additions to both improve as a team as well as develop individually, but there's a lot of players I like, compared to previous years.

Keeping faith in Williams as well as promoting him in the first place is one of the best things I've seen from Ole.

L1nk

I'd love to be proven wrong about him and eat full tables of humble pie. What I do like though is there are many things to like about the team that's emerging. These players will definitely need some first class additions to both improve as a team as well as develop individually, but there's a lot of players I like, compared to previous years.

Keeping faith in Williams as well as promoting him in the first place is one of the best things I've seen from Ole.
Didn't he inexplicably drop him for Shaw a few games ago when there was no need to and is now forced to keep playing him because Shaw is injured, yet again.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Didn't he inexplicably drop him for Shaw a few games ago when there was no need to and is now forced to keep playing him because Shaw is injured, yet again.
Credit where it's due. Ole promoted him. Williams is getting opportunities, and he's taking them all.

Irwin99

I actually blame Periera for Rashford’s injury. He has a habit of playing his passes just short enough for his teammates to get clattered.
I always think AWB has more of a habit of doing this but people never seen to catch on to it.

passing-wind

Solskjaer is by no means good enough as a manager and will only take us so far that's my beliefs irrespective of results but even I wouldn't criticize his decision to bring Rashford on. If the player is available on the bench there's two variables that the manager doesn't control the first is being medically cleared to play and the second is the players willingness to participate. Marcus and Pogba playing fixtures injured is also on them to take responsibility of their recovery.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I don't think I will ever understand people that don't see anything wrong in how we play. In general we play just as bad as we did under our previous managers(who also had some good performances) just that it's a different style of play

The difference is that with those managers you can't look past the poor performances and see any positive but with Ole you can easily do that. The players are also more likeable under Ole and I feel these are the things that have blinded people when discussing our performances. Then there is the players are injured, the squad is average, no midfield, the squad is young reasons. It just feels like there are so many factors to excuse why we don't play good football after being coached by Ole for 12 months

We just play a different form of bad football compared to our previous managers. But this has been the best to watch because of the young exciting players we have yet this should not excuse how we've been playing. Go ask a neutral viewer about our performances rather than rely on an Ole In or Ole out opinion that's bias. In the end they will tell you it's bad not some 2008 shit that someone mentioned here.

We seem to be stuck in the past. Our first manager was recommended by our past, our next two managers were past it, our current managers wants to bring back the past and constantly yaps about it. I'm dead certain we're not going back to any glory under Ole as long as this trend continues. He's not a good manager, for someone with 10 years of experience he's naive, we play average ranging from decent to very bad and a few very good performances.

With Ole its the performances. Yes there has been a number of positives, which are more than the negatives but the one negative present, our performance is a big one. The odd thing about the positives like promoting youth, good signings, being positive, having a plan about the future etc is that these things don't necessarily require the coaches ability. The things that require his ability like the teams performances, selecting line ups, etc is what he's failing at. Credit to him for improving players though

In essence the positives Ole brings while they are much better than our previous managers, it's not enough to take us back to the top because the negatives will always intervene.

What Ole has done is a good start for us moving forward and we need to keep moving forward. We were moving forward initially from Mourinhos reign due to Ole's positives but we have now stagnated. This is because we have not shown any progress on performances despite the positives Ole brought

If we sign players this January and performances improve then that is progress and he should stay. If this doesn't happen then having a good coach that will improve our performances while keeping the positives of Ole is the best for us and is considered progress

Last edited:

matt10000

So what, this is a cup game. I would prefer preserving players for league matches instead.
You are just upset because Ole made a good sub and we scored and one.

Ole tried to rest Rashford but in the end needed him. If he had not made rhis sub and we lost you would have been crying boo hoo on here about drawing because ole didnt make obvious substitution and calling dor the axe!

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Anybody that says anything like "Ole will take us back to the top" etc and is convinced he's the right man are only doing so out if blind faith. Because there's no proof he's the right man for the job, only proof to the contrary.

The two things he's shown are willingness to trust youngsters and positivity. Things anybody could do, including us posting on here. Even so, there's an argument that he's gone overboard on both those points anyway. I waited a long time for Ole to give me a sign he was the right man to take us forward and it never came.

Canagel

Nearly the whole team is guilty of that is not only him. Ironically it was a Rashford short pass that caused Martials injury in the start of the season. The frequency at which the weight of simple passes are messed up in the whole team is alarming.

Thepinhead

Anybody that says anything like "Ole will take us back to the top" etc and is convinced he's the right man are only doing so out if blind faith. Because there's no proof he's the right man for the job, only proof to the contrary.

The two things he's shown are willingness to trust youngsters and positivity. Things anybody could do, including us posting on here. Even so, there's an argument that he's gone overboard on both those points anyway. I waited a long time for Ole to give me a sign he was the right man to take us forward and it never came.
Yeah because all Ole gets payed millions for is to make a team selection and chat a bit with the Media :houllier:

TrueRed79

Pretty sure he'll be moved on at the end of the season. He is on course for 59pts which is terrible. If we don't have Poch lined up i'll be absolutely amazed. Ole was a big game player but is a small time manager.

el3mel

You are just upset because Ole made a good sub and we scored and one.

Ole tried to rest Rashford but in the end needed him. If he had not made rhis sub and we lost you would have been crying boo hoo on here about drawing because ole didnt make obvious substitution and calling dor the axe!
:lol: :lol: Just typical from Ole supporters these days. Thinking themselves as the only ones who care about the club.

And no, if we had known he's not fully fit and can aggravate his injury no one would have wanted to sacrifice him for a cup game.

Status
Not open for further replies.