Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
It's a documented fact so why don't you just google yourself? "Barcelona FC culture manager" should give enough data point about that not being a crap.
More recently, there was an article on why Setien was chosen, and how Pep was chosen, and it was all based on the culture, nothing to do with football tactics purely.

Here, I will quote one for you. It's free.

"Barcelona put their culture at the centre of everything they do, from their everyday behaviours right the way up to selecting the next manager. In 2008, results hadn’t been going their way and Barcelona needed to make a change at the top. The club’s hierarchy had set out nine criteria by which prospective candidates were judged. The club’s culture lay at the heart of these nine criteria. From an outsider’s point of view Jose Mourinho, after his recent success at Chelsea was a shoe-in for the job. He could certainly bring success to Barca but this would require compromising the club’s culture as he fell down on a number of the nine criteria. Barcelona eventually opted for Pep Guardiola, an ex Barca player with very limited managerial experience to take charge of the club as he was deemed to be a better cultural fit, truly understanding what is important to the club."

https://hyperionsearch.co.uk/company-culture-the-fc-barcelona-way/
Barcelona's culture is paying middle men millions of euros to sign the likes of Neymar. feck them and their propaganda machine.

Foxbatt

There are stories that United has been speaking to Poch and he only wants to take over in the summer and not before. And he wants certain conditions.
Ole looking a bit under stress maybe this reason.

Russky14

The fact that OGS had Jesse on the bench & then I heard him call out to him as Rashford limped off says a great deal. Utterly clueless.

In training OGS must be seeing Messi or Ronaldo because I think its beyond all why the feck he is anywhere near the 1st team squad. In most businesses a polite chat and a nudge would have happened by now. Sorry son but your offski, start looking.

el3mel

It's a documented fact so why don't you just google yourself? "Barcelona FC culture manager" should give enough data point about that not being a crap.
More recently, there was an article on why Setien was chosen, and how Pep was chosen, and it was all based on the culture, nothing to do with football tactics purely.

Here, I will quote one for you. It's free.

"Barcelona put their culture at the centre of everything they do, from their everyday behaviours right the way up to selecting the next manager. In 2008, results hadn’t been going their way and Barcelona needed to make a change at the top. The club’s hierarchy had set out nine criteria by which prospective candidates were judged. The club’s culture lay at the heart of these nine criteria. From an outsider’s point of view Jose Mourinho, after his recent success at Chelsea was a shoe-in for the job. He could certainly bring success to Barca but this would require compromising the club’s culture as he fell down on a number of the nine criteria. Barcelona eventually opted for Pep Guardiola, an ex Barca player with very limited managerial experience to take charge of the club as he was deemed to be a better cultural fit, truly understanding what is important to the club."

https://hyperionsearch.co.uk/company-culture-the-fc-barcelona-way/
They have let Valverde manage them for 2.5 years despite him playing a completely different kind of football than what they're used to so if they care that much about their culture why didn't they sack him after his first season when it was so obvious his football isn't the one Barca is used to playing ?

And anyway what's that cultural change thing Ole is doing ? Football has been far away from any thing United fans have been asking for from the previous managers and we're still spending stupid money on players way over their actual value.

mu4c_20le

It's this mindset that has caused literally all of United's most laughable decisions post Fergie.

What we actually need, is an owner or manager who wants, passionately, to instill a NEW CULTURE at the club!

After all - that's actually what Fergie did when he took over...
That's what we did with our previous three managers, even Moyes tried to instill his own culture by getting rid of all the backroom staff.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
That's what we did with our previous three managers, even Moyes tried to instill his own culture by getting rid of all the backroom staff.
So 'culture' actually means 'backroom staff'...? No, it doesn't.

Moyes was fecking employed because of this daft notion of United 'Culture' - that's why he got the job, that was the line that fans (possibly yourself?) ate up.

To quote the great Terence Mckenna, 'Culture is not your friend'!

KristianMackle

I think people also underestimate what the loss of Pogba this season has done to Ole's tactics and games this season. Pogba has played only 7 or 8 games this season. We've also been without Martial for extended periods and Scott. Now we can debate why we didn't get any midfield players in the summer but the fact of the matter is everyone who wants Ole out seems to conveniently forget all the injuries to key players we've suffered this year.
You don't just overcome those losses because those players don't have clones.

mu4c_20le

So 'culture' actually means 'backroom staff'...? No, it doesn't.

Moyes was fecking employed because of this daft notion of United 'Culture' - that's why he got the job, that was the line that fans (possibly yourself?) ate up.

To quote the great Terence Mckenna, 'Culture is not your friend'!
United culture is backing the manager. That's why we don't have a DoF or a clear structure at the club, because we place our faith in the managers.

Irwin99

I think people also underestimate what the loss of Pogba this season has done to Ole's tactics and games this season. Pogba has played only 7 or 8 games this season. We've also been without Martial for extended periods and Scott. Now we can debate why we didn't get any midfield players in the summer but the fact of the matter is everyone who wants Ole out seems to conveniently forget all the injuries to key players we've suffered this year.
You don't just overcome those losses because those players don't have clones.
We got 5 points from our first 4 games with what people thought was our best starting 11 with Pogba in the team. The Pogba and McT partnership looked pretty dire at the start of the season and there were lots of people saying how Pogba in the deep role was a waste of time. The Martial injury hurt us definitely and having Matic out has actually been very understated.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Is there actually a United culture or United way or was it just Ferguson's United. It was after all reported that Ferguson also played the role of DOF and manager so he pretty much built the team and philosophy that dominated for 27 years.

I honestly think the years Ferguson spent managing us and dominating has deceived many people into thinking we actually have a culture or a United way.

Don't you think if there was a United way we would have been trying to follow it after Ferguson retired rather than hiring Mourinho or Van Gaal who don't know anything about it. I mean a culture should run in the veins of the club that even someone as incompetent as Woodward can't ignore it and would be forced to appoint managers that suit the culture

Gasolin

Barcelona's culture is paying middle men millions of euros to sign the likes of Neymar. feck them and their propaganda machine.
Hey I’m not saying I agree on everything about their culture right. But Pep values were humility, hard work (yes, unbelievable) and play for the team. You’ll notice Ole keeps saying an United team should always overrun the opposition, ie work harder than the opposition. I also agree!

Its not in our genes to languish with the ball a la Barcelona or even do a total football a la Cryuff but what we did do was do everything we could to win no matter what, and that involved going for each ball with intensity with the intend to move it faster forward. So I for one welcome that state of mind.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Hey I’m not saying I agree on everything about their culture right. But Pep values were humility, hard work (yes, unbelievable) and play for the team. You’ll notice Ole keeps saying an United team should always overrun the opposition, ie work harder than the opposition. I also agree!

Its not in our genes to languish with the ball a la Barcelona or even do a total football a la Cryuff but what we did do was do everything we could to win no matter what, and that involved going for each ball with intensity with the intend to move it faster forward. So I for one welcome that state of mind.
Absolutely but more importantly Ferguson loved characters in the team and not the likes who hide from the ball. It would be important to spot those in recruitment and phase out the timid ones with fragile egos.

Gasolin

Absolutely but more importantly Ferguson loved characters in the team and not the likes who hide from the ball. It would be important to spot those in recruitment and phase out the timid ones with fragile egos.
Spot on! Don’t be afraid, play with confidence, trust yourself, trust the team and do that control and the next pass and move to the new space!!!

Kag

Whatever the outcome of his tenure in terms of results, we’ll look back at his time here and thank him for what he did with the squad. Another waster about to be jettisoned.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Whatever the outcome of his tenure in terms of results, we’ll look back at his time here and thank him for what he did with the squad. Another waster about to be jettisoned.
my thoughts exactly, I don’t like Ole the manager but I have to credit him for moving some deadwood on hopefully there’s more to leave In the not too distant future.

binary bot
Yup, his squad management has been great. The only blemish being Jones. Slowly making the squad younger, fitter and hungrier.

pav1790

my thoughts exactly, I don’t like Ole the manager but I have to credit him for moving some deadwood on hopefully there’s more to leave In the not too distant future.
I remember similar conversations when Van Gaal was moving on the likes of Bebe, welbeck, Zaha etc and we had a tiny squad. I think we underestimated the rot. Plus four more years have not been kind to some players.

But my main fear is that our rebuild will never be complete with the current administration up top.

During second year of Van Gaal we had an abundance of midfield players. Now that’s where we are the most exposed again - just like last couple of years of Fergie. Scholes had to come out of retirement ffs. We must push on and get that sorted out soon, and possibly get that right sided forward we haven’t had since 2009. ( I will argue that James can be what Valencia was, but that’s not the forward we have been missing on the right ),

matt10000

:lol:And no, if we had known he's not fully fit and can aggravate his injury no one would have wanted to sacrifice him for a cup game.
What a load of bull, read Peter Crouch’s latest book page 123, basically from the age of 20 onwards, footballers almost never go into a game 100% and most spend ten years playing at 70%.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Solskjaer gains nothing from letting Young go now. More likely another money saving measure taken above his head.

dove

He obviously has decent ideas of how our squad should look and what type of players we need to have, he basically thinks like many of us fans do. Sometimes a bit naive, has soft spot for a few clearly not good enough players like Lingard but all in all I think he has decent ideas. Unfortunately he really lacks management skills and won't survive here for long.

matt10000

Is there actually a United culture or United way or was it just Ferguson's United. It was after all reported that Ferguson also played the role of DOF and manager so he pretty much built the team and philosophy that dominated for 27 years.

I honestly think the years Ferguson spent managing us and dominating has deceived many people into thinking we actually have a culture or a United way.

Don't you think if there was a United way we would have been trying to follow it after Ferguson retired rather than hiring Mourinho or Van Gaal who don't know anything about it. I mean a culture should run in the veins of the club that even someone as incompetent as Woodward can't ignore it and would be forced to appoint managers that suit the culture
If there was a way then all appointments were wrong until Ole

el3mel

What a load of bull, read Peter Crouch’s latest book page 123, basically from the age of 20 onwards, footballers almost never go into a game 100% and most spend ten years playing at 70%.
Good then. Let's play half fit players all the time before being fully healed. Will be a wonderful idea according to this book.

Rajma

Solskjaer gains nothing from letting Young go now. More likely another money saving measure taken above his head.
Our captain fantastic has gone on the strike and refused to train and play for us again, what did you expect us to do? Hold on to him anyway?

Kostov

He does some things the right way and then some appalling decision, which I can't for the love of God explain. How much of this Young fiasco was on him I wonder, re offering him the contract to prevent him from leaving. Also Matic coming in back into the team and doing very well makes me wonder why freezing him out at the first place when you have no better CDM?

matt10000

Good then. Let's play half fit players all the time before being fully healed. Will be a wonderful idea according to this book.
He said 70% fit not 50%.......besides I suspect that Peter Crouch knows more about being a professional footballer than you.

el3mel

He said 70% fit not 50%.......besides I suspect that Peter Crouch knows more about being a professional footballer than you.
Our manager said Rashford was struggling due to several knocks recently before that match. I doubt this means he was more than 70% fit. If it's fine to risk players who aren't fully fit whenever we aren't winning a cup match then we shouldn't moan about having an injury crisis because we are aggravating it ourselves.

Paul_Scholes18

Our captain fantastic has gone on the strike and refused to train and play for us again, what did you expect us to do? Hold on to him anyway?
Really? Would not expect that from Young. Also the fact that half our squad wants to leave tells you a lot about his management.

Paul_Scholes18

Which half is it that wants to go?
Well Herrera, Fellaini, Lukaku, Smalling from last season. Young now apperently. Pogba wanting out which everyone knows. Lingard might want to leave (not that it bothers us much).
Rojo probably too and De Gea has wanted to leave before we gave him a stupid fat contract. Not sure about Martial being happy here either.

Our own product like Rashford probably wants to stay still since they love the clubs. Then our new players might have not been here enough to want to go.

mu4c_20le

What? His move to Inter were in advanced stage of negotiations. It was the tabloids that suggested he was upset at having his move blocked, which also didn't happen.

matt10000

Our manager said Rashford was struggling due to several knocks recently before that match. I doubt this means he was more than 70% fit. If it's fine to risk players who aren't fully fit whenever we aren't winning a cup match then we shouldn't moan about having an injury crisis because we are aggravating it ourselves.
So you think we should’t try our best to win every competition?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Weve offered him a new contract and he rejected it.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Well Herrera, Fellaini, Lukaku, Smalling from last season. Young now apperently. Pogba wanting out which everyone knows. Lingard might want to leave (not that it bothers us much).
Rojo probably too and De Gea has wanted to leave before we gave him a stupid fat contract. Not sure about Martial being happy here either.

Our own product like Rashford probably wants to stay still since they love the clubs. Then our new players might have not been here enough to want to go.
Does anybody really give a feck? All players who are not good enough or wanted ridiculous salaries. Also, Smalling left for first team football because he is no better than than Victor or Maguire. No performance in a half arsed league will convince people otherwise.

If De Gea wanted to leave, he wouldnt have signed a new contract and nearly every other player is happy with the Manager. You are literally grasping at straws with zero evidence. As for Lingard and Rojo, i'll drive them to the fecking airport. Neither are worth a pinch of shit for future.

In regards to you whole post. Believe it or not, when somebody comes in and completely changes the direction of a club, there will always reluctance. Especially when its big players or large sums of money who appear to have been content with mediocrity while taking large sums home every week. Its called behavioural management and if you had a clue, you'd understand what im talking about.

If you think players were happy when Sir Alex came to the club and completely pissed of the drinking culture, you are deluded. Its no different to the players having the shits with Moyes over the chip debacle.

Mainoldo

Does anybody really give a feck? All players who are not good enough or wanted ridiculous salaries. Also, Smalling left for first team football because he is no better than than Victor or Maguire. No performance in a half arsed league will convince people otherwise.

If De Gea wanted to leave, he wouldnt have signed a new contract and nearly every other player is happy with the Manager. You are literally grasping at straws with zero evidence. As for Lingard and Rojo, i'll drive them to the fecking airport. Neither are worth a pinch of shit for future.

In regards to you whole post. Believe it or not, when somebody comes in and completely changes the direction of a club, there will always reluctance. Especially when its big players or large sums of money who appear to have been content with mediocrity while taking large sums home every week. Its called behavioural management and if you had a clue, you'd understand what im talking about.

If you think players were happy when Sir Alex came to the club and completely pissed of the drinking culture, you are deluded. Its no different to the players having the shits with Moyes over the chip debacle.
When Mourinho came into Chelsea the first time. Who was the reluctance? Pep and City.. who was the reluctance? Klopp at Liverpool same question?

Smalling has had a better season than any of our defenders and nobody was paying DDG what we was and what exactly was his options. He picked us because we was the best out of a few options offering the best pay package and it shows.

DBT85

Did they want out before or after they were told they were not wanted? Becase players leaving becase they WANT to leave and players leaving becase they are told they aren't going to play much are two very different issues.

I don't tihnk we should have let Herrera go personally, but if his wage demands were that high then I can understand it.

Fellani, Lukaku, Smalling, Young all going though? Are you upset?

Arguably Lukaku should have been repalced in some way and Smalling is only on loan. Its not a huge shock that he's having a better time of it in Italy when you consider how different the leagues are.

Honestly I'm a-ok with all the players that have left and I hope a few more are on the way out too.

Son

Ole has been doing pretty well apart from that first half against City recently.

I have no problems with the results we’ve been getting as of late and we have improved steadily.

Pogba been out of the side is a giant loss for us and has been all season. We would arguably be in the top 4 with him fit and firing and our squad is barely a top 4 side.

He’s been hitting on the money for the most part despite a few blunders. The spirit is good but the problem has often been the loss of quality in midfield and lack of overall experience.

People having a go at our performance against Wolves the other night need to take a look at our team sheet.

alexthelion

Cultural reset, haha. Have you ever heard that from any other club? It's just the biggest load of crap that i have ever heard.
Ole should never have been hired, simple as. Yes he is getting rid of the dross at the club but any decent manager could have done that. The problems don't lie with Ole per se but he is part of it in that he is not good enough to be managing us. You say he could leave us primed but he could also stunt the growth of the players/squad at the same time. So to say he will leave us "absolutely primed" is as bad as your cultural reset analogy. Find it hilarious.
If any manager could have done that, why didn't the previous three? Ole has now got the job of rebuilding the club almost, along with getting rid of many of those three manager's very poor signings.

IMO he's doing a very good job, so far. Needs backing from those above to provide him with more players obviously if we want to continue to improve.

Paul_Scholes18

Did they want out before or after they were told they were not wanted? Becase players leaving becase they WANT to leave and players leaving becase they are told they aren't going to play much are two very different issues.

I don't tihnk we should have let Herrera go personally, but if his wage demands were that high then I can understand it.

Fellani, Lukaku, Smalling, Young all going though? Are you upset?

Arguably Lukaku should have been repalced in some way and Smalling is only on loan. Its not a huge shock that he's having a better time of it in Italy when you consider how different the leagues are.

Honestly I'm a-ok with all the players that have left and I hope a few more are on the way out too.
I am upset cause our squad is worse and it has weakend us even more in the market. Everyone knows we are desperate to buy now so it will cost a lot more. Some of them may not be wanted, but that is on Ole too. He didn't want Fellaini who could have been something we could use as a plan B in attack.
Our main attraction is paying higher wages than the rest. Apart from that few players want to join us or stick around.

el3mel

These cultural changing thing has to be the funniest thing regarding his reign. I bet those who are saying that has no explanation for what this culture change is apart from playing 2 youngesters regularly (not even that many young players, just 2 of them) and selling some old players. Has our transfer policy changed? No, still overspending for players way more than worth their value. Has the type of football changed? No, still playing crap football. Has results improved? No, still as average and inconsistent as we have always been. So which culture has actually changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.