Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polar

My points against him

1. The pressing, we press like a Sunday league football team, a player jog here another walking there, Bruno running his ass out while Rashford and Martial doing only visual pressing. These pressing patterns is 100% a coaching style, of course the players must do it on the ground, but if a player not obeying the managers instructions then he should be out and the manager is responsible for that.

2. Our defensive form, despite him spending 150m on defenders we are shit, and by shit I mean in regards to how much we invested in the back 4. Why are we poor at the back? he bought 3 players all of the considered to be between the best in their position. It is totally on him and his coaching style.

3. Set pieces and crosses, does he and his staff ever train the players on defending set pieces and crosses? Every fecking corner feels like a penalty. I am more afraid from corners than free kicks on the edge of the box.

4. Mentality , we often go into big games as underdogs, why the feck is this? and even against lesser teams sometimes, This has cost us the CL next stage.

5. Changing the formation too much, style of play, why do we need to change the formation every 2-3 games, today diamond, tomorrow 5 at the back, back to 4231 shifting to 433? I bet it confuses the players too much, it is of course very good to have a team that can adapt to different tactics, but ffs we need to have a style first. We play nothing like a possession football team (Pep), and nothing like high press team (Munich, Liverpool, etc). What is our style?

6.In-Game management, just look at his decision making in PSG home game! It was pure stupidity! I have to give him credit for the times he get it right during the game, but he needs to make more right calls than making stupid ones.

My points with him

1,The squad is much better, he has done a good job in cleaning the squad, all the players he bought I think are good players, even Dan James we could argue is not a total loss cause he did not cost that much.

2.The club's environment, he has done a very good job in removing the toxicity that Jose implanted in the club, it took few months but he did it well.

3. He is a club Legend, There is nothing better than winning titles with a club legend in charge. He is loved by all united fans and hated by our rivals. He is maybe the cause hundreds of millions of supporters started supporting the club after his 99 final goal.

4.The players do believe in him, I think it is not a coincidence every time things gets tough, he come out of it because I feel he gets some fight from the players and that is because he trusted them and made a good working environment.

5,despite the negativity around him he is still in the fight, I like that he has continued his work despite everything going around him, can be tough to hear other managers names being mentioned all the time when it gets tough.

With all the love I have for him as a united legend, I dont think he is the one to get us back to the titles, there are many flaws in him that means we can keep pushing for top 4 but never have the edge to win big things. I did not want him to be permanat manager from the begging, the job is too big for him, it broke Jose and LVG who are bigger managers than him. He earned a chance to stay another year after finishing 3rd (despite the fact it was historically low point for a 3rd). But this year should be the title race as I said in the beginning of the season, he should show a title challenge performance, otherwise if is top 4 fight again that runs to the last game of the season, then no he should go.
Holly macaroni.. How many times have you repeated that you don’t think Ole is the one to get us back:houllier:

Have to admit I agree with many of your points for and against him, but based on many of the same premises we conclude very differently.

What I don’t agree with:

1. “This year should be a title race”. No experts or people with common sense expected us to win the title this season. It’s a bonus as long as we stay in the race. Though everything can happen this season.

2. “Changing the formation too much and style of play”. We definitely see the contours of a style: we play directly and go fast forward when we have the opportunity. I also see some nice pattern regarding combinations and movements in the the attack. We are on right track and show progress in many ways. The defence is unfortunately not one them.

Ole is more pragmatic and adaptable than other managers. That’s also a “style”. Perhaps it’s reinforced by a demanding season (corona). Managers have to rotate and take better care of the players. The level of International football increase constantly and the load on players has increased. Maybe rotations and adaptability is the future of football?

3. “In-game management”. Ole has done some mistakes, but many brilliant things to. In general his in-game management is good and can’t be used against him.

Summarised I think Ole all in all is doing a good job. He should at least stay this season. If I want him to stay also next season depends on the summary or evaluation in May.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sultan

Odin

We found out after the game why Axel didn't start so the Lindelöf RB situation was forced on him as despite his talk he clearly doesn't trust Williams. The only real critique of Ole yesterday was starting James, as we know he offers little in compact games and Mason has shown he can do the graft if instructed, I'm guessing Rashford couldn't play RW because Cavani can't start back to back games. Bottom line is we win the game yesterday if Bruno, McTominay, Maguire and Bailly don't feck up simplistic shit, scoring 2 goals away to a team that is 2nd in the league should be enough.
James was a crucial part of the energetic press which should have given us a flying start. He also did OK on several counters, showing somewhat better awareness than usual whilst speeding with the ball. Progress and potential, but he is still far from the game changing finished article.

Footyislife

3 years from now we'll look back and regret not hiring Poch, a manager who knows how to develop young players and has proven he can implement the style of football we expect.

Good decisions are easy when you have a competent board.

Meanwhile we have a fanbase arguing over a manager who wouldn't get hired by any other CL club, distracting us from the core issue of how terribly run our club is.

Devil may care

James was a crucial part of the energetic press which should have given us a flying start. He also did OK on several counters, showing somewhat better awareness than usual whilst speeding with the ball. Progress and potential, but he is still far from the game changing finished article.
I think we could have gotten that with Mason though whilst adding more threat in attack, overall though individual defensive errors cost us 2 points yesterday, not Ole's management.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Now that Poch is going to PSG, I guess this means all the burner accounts his agent setup on the Caf will go quiet.

Odin

I think we could have gotten that with Mason though whilst adding more threat in attack, overall though individual defensive errors cost us 2 points yesterday, not Ole's management.
Agree on that. I was hoping for James to work down that side for an hour, then OGS to put Greenwood on for the last 25-30.

Polar

Expectations to Ole set the new standard.

Klopp, Pep, Arteta and Lampard must be sacked NOW, and before the end of the season 95% of the other managers must be sacked :lol:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Liverpools home draw vs 19th placed WBA puts our away draw vs 2nd placed Leicester into proper context.
It was a very useful point, and we are only disappointed because we were the better team and deserved all 3 points.

Holocene

Liverpools home draw vs 19th placed WBA puts our away draw vs 2nd placed Leicester into proper context.
It was a very useful point, and we are only disappointed because we were the better team and deserved all 3 points.
Perspective is always important. We're not even half way through the season yet. Leicester are a good team.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
3 years from now we'll look back and regret not hiring Poch, a manager who knows how to develop young players and has proven he can implement the style of football we expect.

Meanwhile we have a fanbase arguing over a manager who wouldn't get hired by any other CL club, distracting us from the core issue of how terribly run our club is.
We might, we might not. But at present we should support the manager during the campaign, because we look to be performing better and picking up more consistent results. Even I doubt Ole long term but as things stand it would be madness to consider anyone else while we are in this position domestically.

Strelok

What the mods have done. Last place here where people could sensibly talk about Ole has turned into another pointless in/out battleground :mad:

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
So right about the cup draws! Hopefully things improve for us next season in that regard.

So glad the ridiculous Sack or Keep Ole thread has gone! Well done mods.
not sure it's a good thing they closed the thread, now the worst whiners there will do it in other threads instead.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Guess who developed Haaland and gave him his first games in the senior team.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Guess who developed Haaland and gave him his first games in the senior team.
That's a hard question if you don't know, but by reading between the lines I thought I'd hazard a guess.. It was Poch wasn't it?

Flexdegea

No we won't look back and regret it.

He is no managerial genius. So massively overrated it's stupid.

always_hoping

No we won't look back and regret it.

He is no managerial genius. So massively overrated it's stupid.
Would think Poch was the second coming of Ferguson the way some posters obsess about him. The English media hype are to blame for that.

markhughes

Ole is doing a pretty good job overall in the league, surely most reasonable people would have taken our current position before the season started.

A strong title challenge would be a step in the right direction and an improvement on any year post Ferguson.

Let’s get behind the manager and if he falls short at the end of the season then we can re-evaluate but as we are in the thick of it right now and things are going well then we should get behind the team and enjoy the ride.

We do seem to be improving little by little each year and while it would be nice to have a rapid improvement perhaps that is a little unrealistic in the current climate.

Winrar

Honestly don't know what to make of Ole's tenure so far. There finally seems to be a sense of togetherness and progress over the past few years, but we also seem to lack tactical discipline. So when we go on a good run of form we are unstoppable, but when we do hit a rough patch we are spectacularly bad (e.g. start of season 1-3 vs palace, 1-6 vs spurs)

It does seem like we are finally finding feet in the long run... having said that now watch us go on another wretched run of form :lol::nervous:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Does anyone look at Ole managing us and simply enjoy it for what it is? A club legend turning us around and making football enjoyable again? That’s what it’s all about, for me.

OleBoiii

Does anyone look at Ole managing us and simply enjoy it for what it is? A club legend turning us around and making football enjoyable again? That’s what it’s all about, for me.
It's definitely a massive bonus. I also generally like our football and a lot of our players. It's been a while since I could say that.

We need to be as strict with Ole as with the other coaches post Fergie, but right now we're still in it so I see no reason to whine like 40%(?) of the posters in here.

Raredaredevil

This was a game we could have won and like another poster said, Ole could have made a big statement win by going for it. Beat Leicester and win our game in hand and we go top of the league.

Liverpool is going to win the league again not because they are good but everyone around them is inconsistent and can't capitalise on their slipups. Took SAF 25 years to break Liverpool's record and now they are going to equal ours in 5 months time.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Love the man, always have, and am firmly behind him as boss. I’m not sure exactly what more anyone could have wanted from him in his time so far. He’s got a good win record, he’s shown tactical flexibility and nous on several occasions too which has led to him beating some of the best sides around enough times for it to not be a fluke. A lot of this was achieved with injury problems too. He embodies the values of the club, he seems a great man manager, and will only get better and better.

Perhaps his accent isn’t Spanish enough, I dunno. But he’s right on schedule as far as I’m concerned, and nothing to indicate that next season we will not be seriously contending for the title.

Shiva87

Exactly. A lot of lucky people on this forum seem to have forgotten what it was like to watch us play under Mourinho and Van Gaal.
It so easy to remember though. We just need to put on a Spurs game right now. The Wolves game was peak Mourinho at United. Get a lead, sit back, invite pressure, give confidence to the other team, try to score a breakaway goal with an isolated Stricker who is 20 yards in his own half. Expect world class touches to get to the opponents box. Create 1-2 opportunities (not shots on goal mind you) and then crib about your players missing them!

Ultimately, the opponents get a freak goal or two and you have dropped points. Come out in the post match presser and batter the guy who made the mistake. (Although the last bit was missing yesterday I guess :P).

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This was a game we could have won and like another poster said, Ole could have made a big statement win by going for it. Beat Leicester and win our game in hand and we go top of the league.

Liverpool is going to win the league again not because they are good but everyone around them is inconsistent and can't capitalise on their slipups. Took SAF 25 years to break Liverpool's record and now they are going to equal ours in 5 months time.
Maybe, just maybe that was because they were 11 ahead of us at one point in time, whereas, we had a lead of just 2?

ManRed

I am excited by the way transfers amd squad building is taking place. Ole now has a decent squad except for 1 or 2 good recruits away from being title challengers. He has got rid of all the fringe players from the main XI in Lingard, Perreira, Sanchez, Dalot, Williams etc and still has a very strong bench.

The attention has also now moved to getting the best young talent in the world and build a team for the next decade.

MphoG

Honestly don't know what to make of Ole's tenure so far. There finally seems to be a sense of togetherness and progress over the past few years, but we also seem to lack tactical discipline. So when we go on a good run of form we are unstoppable, but when we do hit a rough patch we are spectacularly bad (e.g. start of season 1-3 vs palace, 1-6 vs spurs)

It does seem like we are finally finding feet in the long run... having said that now watch us go on another wretched run of form :lol::nervous:
Couldn’t agree more. It’s a rollercoaster ride with this guy, just as you think we’ve turned the corner another one is in the horizon.

ants7

We might, we might not. But at present we should support the manager during the campaign, because we look to be performing better and picking up more consistent results. Even I doubt Ole long term but as things stand it would be madness to consider anyone else while we are in this position domestically.
My thoughts exactly. We should revisit the head coach situation after the season has finished but it would be mad to replace Ole right now. Specially since we seem to have finally gathered a little bit momentum and stability.

Also, in three years time, we might still be able to hire Poch since PSG might have fired him by that time.

beycont

Well, you do have an alternate club to support. The well-run PSG managed by the football managerial god who only appears once in a lifetime and will implement a style that everyone will want to emulate and will win all there is it win.

jackal&hyde

Yep. Plus being potentially 2 points away from nr. 1 shows he is the right man. It's a dream really.

Flexdegea

Would think Poch was the second coming of Ferguson the way some posters obsess about him. The English media hype are to blame for that.

Ole rebuild off the squad from when he took over has got us in the position we are today were some folk seem to think we could actually win big prizes or are close to it, if we just ditch the manager, so he must be doing something right.

So they want him gone and a serial winner proven quality Poch brought in to replace him. A manager who managed to come 3rd in a 2 horse race with a first 11 I'd reckon as good as our first 11 right now.

I like poch but it's so stupid to think like this at the moment. Ole doing a really good job. And he got the players on broad as well

Mickson

Ole rebuild off the squad from when he took over has got us in the position we are today were some folk seem to think we could actually win big prizes or are close to it, if we just ditch the manager, so he must be doing something right.

So they want him gone and a serial winner proven quality Poch brought in to replace him. A manager who managed to come 3rd in a 2 horse race with a first 11 I'd reckon as good as our first 11 right now.

I like poch but it's so stupid to think like this at the moment. Ole doing a really good job. And he got the players on broad as well
Pochettino would reach better results with United than Ole has. Also, he has a clear style of play and develops his players.

Kag

Pretty much. I quite look forward to our matches and have done for some time. Turn back two years and I was actively arranging to go to the golf course instead.

Some people have forgotten just how bad the football was prior to Ole.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Pochettino would reach better results with United than Ole has. Also, he has a clear style of play and develops his players.
I like Poch, but there's nothing to suggest that Poch could have built the side Ole has managed to. Not saying we're the real deal now, but we're pretty close to that.

As far as results and development of players is concerned, I think it'd be much closer than what people think (favouring either manager).

At the end of the day, Poch's record vs bigger sides has been terrible, despite us, City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Pool all having gone through poor phases in the last 6 odd years. I can literally tell you 8-10 questions that Poch-outers would have gone for had he joined us and not been successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.