Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

But why should he have to "bring experienced coaches in" to make up for him not being good enough? I know Ferguson did bring coaches in but that was with loads of trophies under his belt and was a genuine move to modernise. Queiroz would have had lots of responsibility but would look up to Ferguson. With Ole, it seems some of you want him to bring coaches in so that he can keep his job. If he had a top-notch assistant, that assistant would probably soon be looking at Ole and realising he's not qualified to be number one. Why not just get a coach who knows what he's doing on the training ground?
I would rather we appointed a coach who knows what he's doing on the training ground, however when you look at the yankee scum bags who run this club then I am trying to find a solution that would improve the style a little bit, however his blase attitude in regards to keeping the ball in midfield and constant use of Mcfred is driving me up the wall every week.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
He would command the respect of the entire squad. He's won the lot as a player and a manager. Scored two in a world cup final, led Real to three CLs on the bounce. I would think that if he walked into our dressing room, the whole lot of them would jump to attention.
I personally think this aspect is overrated. Initial respect sure, but give it a month if the manager is clueless he'll be found out pretty soon.

Not saying zidane but more like in general.

Respect and awe comes in tandem with actually knows what he's doing. Otherwise see maradona

Eriku

That is exactly what he is saying. It is like saying that Martial is going to win the Balon d'Or.
It’s NOT though. Those three players are fighting for one trophy. There’s more trophies to go around for clubs. The comparison is not really any good.

That I entirely agree with you. We as a team do not work hard enough. Look at SAF on the pitch side all guns blazing with 4 letter words at any player who does not put in the appropriate work. They all were dead scared of him. Even Ronaldo. I have never seen Ole even having one go at a player during a match. Instructing yes. But never losing his temper unlike SAF.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I know that he allows improvisation in attack but first Rashford and now Greenwood are going into extreme. He must deal with that.
Strikers must be little selfish but this was hard to watch from Greenwood against Villa.

NK86

It’s NOT though. Those three players are fighting for one trophy. There’s more trophies to go around for clubs. The comparison is not really any good.

I always see this clip brought up to show how Ole is hard with his players. Always the same clip :lol:

Eriku

I always see this clip brought up to show how Ole is hard with his players. Always the same clip :lol:
Heh, there’s no plethora, sure.

And I’m not trying to paint Ole as tough, just saying that there’s at least 1 instance to go against Foxbatt’s recollection of Ole never getting vigorous on the sidelines.

GASHEAD

Supports
Bristol Rovers
Arteta.

Ffs though this is going too far now. He's a middle of the pack manager. He's alright. He's done a good job here and has gotten us back to being a stable top 4 team. He likely isn't capable of getting us to properly compete for the title in a league with Pep, Klopp and Tuchel. It's fine. Not many are capable of that. Of course we need to strive for that, but let's not go overboard on criticism, as Ole has done a good job in his first couple of seasons.

When he took over, I had hoped he would turn us back into a steady top 4 team with year on year improvement, good recruitment, and leave us with a squad in a good position to make the step up to a title challenge. I never thought he'd be the one to take that last step. This is what has happened. It's important for the club to move on at the right time and pick the successor well, but that doesn't make Ole a failure either.
"middle of the pack"? So if Ole became available, you're saying that (assuming they were looking) half the teams in the EPL would consider him a viable candidate???

dove

Arteta.

Ffs though this is going too far now. He's a middle of the pack manager. He's alright. He's done a good job here and has gotten us back to being a stable top 4 team. He likely isn't capable of getting us to properly compete for the title in a league with Pep, Klopp and Tuchel. It's fine. Not many are capable of that. Of course we need to strive for that, but let's not go overboard on criticism, as Ole has done a good job in his first couple of seasons.

When he took over, I had hoped he would turn us back into a steady top 4 team with year on year improvement, good recruitment, and leave us with a squad in a good position to make the step up to a title challenge. I never thought he'd be the one to take that last step. This is what has happened. It's important for the club to move on at the right time and pick the successor well, but that doesn't make Ole a failure either.
Arteta definitely doesn't look great but I would love to see what Ole could achieve with that terrible Arsenal side, I doubt that it would be any better and likely even worse. Both of them are just as bad as each other IMO.

Mainoldo

"middle of the pack"? So if Ole became available, you're saying that (assuming they were looking) half the teams in the EPL would consider him a viable candidate???
No1 is hiring him. He probably wouldn’t even get a job back at Molde.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I’m not one of those calling for Ole’s head but I do think the club will act quickly if it’s not working. Our squad is excellent and has been invested in heavily, it feels make or break for Ole. unfortunately that’s 3 poor results in a week, pressure will be mounting if we don’t get 3 points against Villarreal.
3 points with a good performance

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I love Ole, but i think right now he is holding us back. The team we have and the players we have are good enough if managed by a qualified manager with tactical know how. Of course, i mean Ole and the coaching staff.

Give this team to Pep, Klopp or Tuchel are there would be significant improvement. We should've acted like Chelsea did when they replaced frank. Him and Ole are both club legends, but the club's well being is the priority,

Problem is, i don;t if a manager of that class is available at the moment, but with the investment the club is making in this squad, we should have manager of the required caliber leading this team.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Are saying the squad went from poor to all star by adding two players?

Only counting Varane and Ronaldo since Sancho hasn’t made a mark yet.

If you’re not saying that the squad went from poor to all star with two additions, then you’re admitting that he had a very good squad last season too, aren’t you? A season where I don’t really need to tell you how many trophies we won and how our actual play looked. Hint: it’s the exact same fecking thing regardless of which players he has at his disposal.
Are you say there's only two options here? You either have a poor squad or an all-star squad, with absolutely nothing in-between? Let's leave the hyperbole alone for 5 minutes please.

Olecurls99

Or they do want to bust a gut and haven't been drilled well enough on a proper system.

Either they are collectively not putting an effort, which would be the managers fault.

Or they havent been coached well, which is the managers fault.
I never said it wasn't the manager's fault

Giggsyking

I see even his defenders began to shy away. This is not looking good for him. They starting to come to the conclusion we have been saying for the past 2 seasons and being called negative.

Real Name

I've come to this thread hoping we wont speak about inner cafe struggle and war and wont call names. Hope I wont get disappointed.

Acole9

Outstanding
No1 is hiring him. He probably wouldn’t even get a job back at Molde.
I think once he's finished at United you won't see him manage another team. No clubs in the Premier League would touch him and a third spell at Molde, I don't see it. Besides haven't they been better since he left?

Eplel

Are you suggesting someone like him would leave Bayern for us? Managers don’t generally want to jump ship when they’re in the middle of a project, we’re best off waiting until the end of the season when managers have been sacked and we can assess our options properly.
I'm suggesting that much like Bayern poached him from Leipzig, we can approach a manager that is not a free agent. Hell, Ole was at Molde when we signed him, by your standards we shouldn't have gone for him.

So basically, what I'm saying is that instead of focusing the discussion on the 2 high profile managers that are free agents now, why don't we think about talented managers that would make the jump to a bigger club and league overnight. Ten Haag, Clement, Potter etc, would all come with no second thought.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
A lot of thoughts on him appeared this weekend on social media, but a wise one said that he delivered the job that was given to him, which is rebuild the squad, provide a peaceful climate in the club and the team, and set up for success.

Issue is that he's just not good enough for the next step, and beside his horrible tactical choices, it's the comparison with City, Liverpool and Chelsea that are appealing. You also think that many many other clubs plays better than us, or at least have a tactical coherence, which we don't.

Our game plan is keep the ball, give to Shaw wait for an assist, then, give it to Bruno, wait for an individual exploit or now hoping for a Ronaldo tap in. Coherence and game plan is what we need.

What was frightening for me during our lost to West Ham in Carabao, is that both teams had a second team fielded but tbh, I saw more coherence in the WH formation and 541 than ours. I mean that even fringe players can understand a tactic and play in it. Ours was simple. Give the ball to the wingers try a cross or small combination and this is it.

Whether we are Ole in or out, we should all think about what we see on the pitch and this is not good enough

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Genuine question to people who think he won't get a job anywhere after this: Who was the last manager whose side finished in top 4 in a top 5 league (consecutively or not) and the manager was struggling to get a job?

Hell, who was the last manager who managed even 1 top 4 finish in PL and the manager struggled to get a job?

Or, am I mistaken and you guys are saying he won't get a job after this because he stays here for 20 years and will retire here? :wenger:

Giggsyking

Yeah, just once in 3 years. I saw Sir Alex every match do it at least once. He is mr nice guy so players dont hate him and want him gone.

Giggsyking

Genuine question to people who think he won't get a job anywhere after this: Who was the last manager whose side finished in top 4 in a top 5 league (consecutively or not) and the manager was struggling to get a job?

Hell, who was the last manager who managed even 1 top 4 finish in PL and the manager struggled to get a job?
He wont get a job at a big club. Unless you consider united as big as Cardiff.

GASHEAD

Supports
Bristol Rovers

Or, am I mistaken and you guys are saying he won't get a job after this because he stays here for 20 years and will retire here? :wenger:
Of course he will get a job but it will not be managing a "big" club. Maybe an assistant somewhere or managing in a minor European league. Can't even see him getting a Championship job since the skill set required there is very specific.
Out of interest which EPL clubs do you think would consider him? I seriously can't think of one.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Gary just retweeted this

Gary also said that Ole needs to win this OR next year. And he shrugged off the logic of getting a proper manager in because "that didn't work". He's still protecting him a fair bit for me.

Anustart89

Are you say there's only two options here? You either have a poor squad or an all-star squad, with absolutely nothing in-between? Let's leave the hyperbole alone for 5 minutes please.
Not at all. I probably didn’t get my point across properly though.

My point was that a squad that becomes “all star” quality with two additions is already a very good squad, which should have been performing better even last season, but back then people were saying that the squad was shite and Ole couldn’t be judged because he had a squad that wasn’t up to the task.

Olecurls99

I see even his defenders began to shy away. This is not looking good for him. They starting to come to the conclusion we have been saying for the past 2 seasons and being called negative.
I think it's more that the expectations have lifted in line with the quality of the squad.
The expectations were too high with some people over the last 2 years but now we should be challenging and most people expect that.
He's done a good job up until now though.

anant

He wont get a job at a big club. Unless you consider united as big as Cardiff.
But that's not what people are claiming. It's "he won't get a job in PL", "He'll be lucky to get a job at Molde"

Idxomer

Gary just retweeted this

He won't deliver a trophy. He reached one final in a competition where he had by far the best squad and still failed to win it.

Every other competition he'll always face comparable squads with far superior managers than him.

His only hope is the team drops to EL and he gets some luck against the La Liga team he would face again in the semis or the final.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Thing is, it's not even about any trophy for me. I honestly don't give two fecks if we win the FA Cup or Europa Cup at this stage because we're 10 years without a proper PL challenge let alone a title. We need to buckle up our ideas and get a proper manager in or risk falling into obscurity for a longer period. It's really that simple.

anant

Of course he will get a job but it will not be managing a "big" club. Maybe an assistant somewhere or managing in a minor European league. Can't even see him getting a Championship job since the skill set required there is very specific.
Out of interest which EPL clubs do you think would consider him? I seriously can't think of one.
Ridiculous opinion

Womp

idiot
I hope it's a lesson learnt for the caf. Instead of being at civil war with eachother, hopefully we unite in the fact that it doesn't take 2-3 years and ridiculous levels of investment to get a side playing some good football!

Womp

idiot
Thing is, it's not even about any trophy for me. I honestly don't give two fecks if we win the FA Cup or Europa Cup at this stage because we're 10 years without a proper PL challenge let alone a title. We need to buckle up our ideas and get a proper manager in or risk falling into obscurity for a longer period. It's really that simple.
I genuinely don't think we are too far away. This side can go up a few levels imo. Players like Marcus, Mason, Ronaldo, Bruno, Pogba, Sancho, Shaw, Maguire and Varane etc. are players capable of being major contributors to PL/CL level competitions.

Look at Klopp with players like Henderson etc. - I wouldn't be surprised to see a progressive manager get very good contribution out of players like Scotty etc. too.

Ole has done a good job up until this point, but it's been very evident to some for some time now that he just doesn't have the ability to get us to that next level. I hear all this talk about SAF this, SAF that, but SAF would have had to adapt to the current climate in football too. Adapting to the changes in the game was probably his best trait, if anything. This pragmatic approach to the game is dying. Too many teams are too wealthy for you to bank on the possibility that you're going to have a squad that is just so superior to every other team in the league.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I genuinely don't think we are too far away. This side can go up a few levels imo. Players like Marcus, Mason, Ronaldo, Bruno, Pogba, Sancho, Shaw, Maguire and Varane etc. are players capable of being major contributors to PL/CL level competitions.

Look at Klopp with players like Henderson etc. - I wouldn't be surprised to see a progressive manager get very good contribution out of players like Scotty etc. too.

Ole has done a good job up until this point, but it's been very evident to some for some time now that he just doesn't have the ability to get us to that next level. I hear all this talk about SAF this, SAF that, but SAF would have had to adapt to the current climate in football too. Adapting to the changes in the game was probably his best trait, if anything. This pragmatic approach to the game is dying. Too many teams are too wealthy for you to bank on the possibility that you're going to have a squad that is just so superior to every other team in the league.
We are not far, but we are also very far. I think our team is there just the manager needs changing.

Womp

idiot
We are not far, but we are also very far. I think our team is there just the manager needs changing.
I agree. It's a tune I've been playing for a while. Think we really missed a trick with Nagelsmann and Rose, unfortunately. Looking our inability to be proactive may come back to bite us in the arse again. I don't think there's enough noise around him leaving, wouldn't be surprised to see him stick around for a while yet, missing out on the options currently available too.

I'd argue that's been our most damaing aspect of incompetence these past few years - this board's inability to be proactive and being reactive to every scenario.

afatzp

Ole talked about how crucial a good start of season is during the pre-season, and here again, I see no difference compared with last year: stamina not built up, players looked tired and low-energy, slow start for every game till we conceded goals, no form of play we are actually developing towards.

The equation is quite simple: we were no champion last year and we need to improve to become one. If our current manager could not bring further improvement, then he should go. We thank him for bringing us here, but we need someone else to bring us to the next stage. Ranieri definitely could give Chelsea top 4 every season, but Chelsea chose to sack him for the uncertain but promising Mourinho and they became champion ever since.

I keep seeing arguments that there are no obvious managers available who suits better than Ole, so we should keep Ole. That's quite flaw logic, if you know Ole has 0% chance to bring you further improvement, then any new manager with the probability > =1% of bringing improvement would worth the try, unless we are comfortable staying champion-free status forever. We can debate who the next would give us the better chance, but it's quite certain that Ole should go.

Blood Mage

I think it's more that the expectations have lifted in line with the quality of the squad.
The expectations were too high with some people over the last 2 years but now we should be challenging and most people expect that.
Identical to Lampard at Chelsea, beginning to crumble under the weight of expectation. Ronaldo's arrival might be a problem for Ole not a solution.

Giggsyking

But it is not good enough. I feel, the past 8 years has made a mark on our fan base and lowered the standard football acceptable at the club. When you have been served shit for 8 years. Ole is not blaming only Ole. I blame everyone involved in the past 8 years starting with the idiotic board. Ole have been giving time, 3 years is aplenty of time in a gigantic club like united, no other football team in the world, big or small would've given him that time and financial support he got. He simply need to prove he can play football that aspire us to win the league and the champions league.

Status
Not open for further replies.