Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Ok well I take back the shitting on part. They have the right to criticise be more the right choice of words. I understand that most threads are bashing him but then you have the “posts made when we beat “whoever” “ coming up all the time.
Both sides are extreme and I’m not on either. I’ve been told that I should just support the club or I’m not a true supporter when questioning Ole but also some of the posts that are against him are awful.
Fair one, we’re all supposedly for the same team :)

432JuanMata

Fair one, we’re all supposedly for the same team :)
Exactly. If Ole led us back to glory/top I would happily come on and admit I was wrong. I just want the club I love that calls itself one of the biggest in the world to challenge. It should be a minimum requirement

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Maybe if you guys actually bothered to post the full quotes and not some snippets from twitter you would not get so wound up over basically nothing

The quote posted before was from that bellend Castles, who is not only a bellend, but also an ABU and a wum. I mean, we are inconsistent as hell, so its a bit of a weird thing to say, but it was in the context of the match and conceding cheap goals.
Does that not imply the same? He's talking horse shit with "it is perceived" and "people who don't really watch every game" seeing inconsistencies. Can he honestly say that we aren't inconsistent? Look at the attitude/effort or whatever you want to call it Vs Leicester compared to Atalanta. I could round off many examples of it. He's just trying to discredit anybody that thinks our problems are in any way tactical and put all the blame on our players.

I've honestly never known a situation where a manager gets so much wrong and yet not only is he allowed to try to palm it off but there's sections of a support that will happily accept it and defend the manager. I sometimes feel like I've entered an alternative dimension. In the thread about "when did you know Ole wasn't good enough" and there's people admitting they just backed him because it would have been a nice story if he'd have won something. These were people that vehemently defended him and his tactics, not willing to listen to any criticism until recently, based on a fairy tale. feck off, some of our supporters are soppy d*ck heads. Any other manager or non-ex players in charge and they'd have seen him off many times over already with some of the horrendous periods we've been on.

Look at the start to this season and the last 9 or 10 games of last season and it's such grim reading, yet here we are with many still saying he needs time or whatever. Crazy.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Exactly. RvP was the main reason we won the 20th title. An unbelievable season he had. In his prime he was twice the player compared to Ole's best level. Ask any neutral fan who they pick, and Robin wins that poll by a landslide. This season the pressure is building up and the next 3 games in the prem are crucial. I expect 2 losses and a draw which will have us around 10th in the table. That is a sackable performance but the Glazers won't act.
For ManUtd Ole >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. RVP.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Does that not imply the same? He's talking horse shit with "it is perceived" and "people who don't really watch every game" seeing inconsistencies. Can he honestly say that we aren't inconsistent? Look at the attitude/effort or whatever you want to call it Vs Leicester compared to Atalanta. I could round off many examples of it. He's just trying to discredit anybody that thinks our problems are in any way tactical and put all the blame on our players.

I've honestly never known a situation where a manager gets so much wrong and yet not only is he allowed to try to palm it off but there's sections of a support that will happily accept it and defend the manager. I sometimes feel like I've entered an alternative dimension. In the thread about "when did you know Ole wasn't good enough" and there's people admitting they just backed him because it would have been a nice story if he'd have won something. These were people that vehemently defended him and his tactics, not willing to listen to any criticism until recently, based on a fairy tale. feck off, some of our supporters are soppy d*ck heads. Any other manager or non-ex players in charge and they'd have seen him off many times over already with some of the horrendous periods we've been on.

Look at the start to this season and the last 9 or 10 games of last season and it's such grim reading, yet here we are with many still saying he needs time or whatever. Crazy.
How on Gods green earth did you come to that conclusion, based on those quotes. There is plenty to critcize him for without making up some faux outrage of him throwing the players under the bus and calling the fans clueless. I also fecked up my quote i see, because he also said this

“We need to defend better really and we need to defend the key moments better,” Solskjaer said in his post-match press conference.
“It’s perceived that we’re so inconsistent in performances when you concede easy goals. Today, another couple of easy goals and we need to eradicate this because we are playing against very good teams in the next few weeks.”
They are talking about this game in particular, where the old cliche of "a game of two halves" gets trotted out. No doubt we were better in the 2nd half, but it wasnt really night and day and the scoreline does not really reflect how the game was

Just of the record, i think he should be replaced, but this is just absurd

Josh 76

If Ole could go back to the summer transfer window wonder if he would have gone for Bissouma and Rice instead of Varne and Sancho. These two signings have made no difference to the team.

It may have cost 20m more, but it would have been worth it.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Ye, I was probably one of the first on here to think he wasn't up to it, but some of the abuse he receives is OTT. There is absolutely no need to make it personal. Nor is he 'useless' etc. Just because he may not be good enough for Manchester United, doesn't mean the guy is useless.
If only others who thought he wasn’t good enough had the same attitude. I get that he’s not the best manager ever and he’s also not the second coming of Fergie, but he is our manager at the moment so we may aswell just enjoy it as much as possible while he’s here. He’s got a good team/squad at his disposal and so much more easily likeable than teams built by the previous managers, I can’t help but enjoy what he’s done and built.

It’s hell of a battle he’s got on his hands against probably the best two managers of the last decade at two of our closest rivals, no one is garunteed to come in and surpass those anyway.

gajender

If only others who thought he wasn’t good enough had the same attitude. I get that he’s not the best manager ever and he’s also not the second coming of Fergie, but he is our manager at the moment so we may aswell just enjoy it as much as possible while he’s here. He’s got a good team/squad at his disposal and so much more easily likeable than teams built by the previous managers, I can’t help but enjoy what he’s done and built.

It’s hell of a battle he’s got on his hands against probably the best two managers of the last decade at two of our closest rivals, no one is garunteed to come in and surpass those anyway.
Agreed that whosoever comes in is not guaranteed to succeed but assuming otherwise is quite defeatist as well , Conte won the league against them ,Klopp wrested the title from Guardiola as well.
Guardiola is cut above the rest when it comes to the league but even he isn't infallible while as good as Klopp is I don't think there is much between him and managers like Conte, Allegri and Zidane , combined with our resources these managers have quite decent chance against them and two of them are currently available as well.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
He is and especially if he gets sacked.
No way. He still scored arguably the most important goal in the club's history and I guarantee the fans would still sing his name at games. How he does as a manager isn't going to change that.

b82REZ

Have you shown all managers post Fergie the same level of support?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Agreed that whosoever comes in is not guaranteed to succeed but assuming otherwise is quite defeatist as well , Conte won the league against them ,Klopp wrested the title from Guardiola as well.
Guardiola is cut above the rest when it comes to the league but even he isn't infallible while as good as Klopp is I don't think there is much between him and managers like Conte, Allegri and Zidane , combined with our resources these managers have quite decent chance against them and two of them are currently available as well.
Yeah I didn’t mean to sound defeatist in that view that klopp and pep are hard to beat, just that it’s not a given to sack Ole and then go on and win the league or whatever, the 3 names I constantly see banded about, conte and zidane I don’t think are a given at all and would have doubts on what they’d do to the squad for maybe a one year instant success then leave us with over the hill players and the new name that’s everywhere ten hag seems to play good football but is no way at all garunteed to come here and replicate that.

It’s all a calculated gamble and for now I think Ole deserves the gamble on him for this season, if he fails badly this year then I’d be for replacing him but not right now.

Sviken

If Ole could go back to the summer transfer window wonder if he would have gone for Bissouma and Rice instead of Varne and Sancho. These two signings have made no difference to the team.

It may have cost 20m more, but it would have been worth it.
What makes you think Bissouma and Rice would be the difference? Before signing Varane and Sancho, everyone was crying for a new CB and Sancho. Now we need two new midfielders. But after they fail, we'll talk about how we need a new striker because Ronaldo is too old and RB. Then the talk will be that we need a new "modern" goalkeeper. And on and on and on before we rebuild a team a thousand times and go back to the same conclusion - the management is simply not good enough.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Have you shown all managers post Fergie the same level of support?
Didn’t like moyes but supported him untill the end and was relieved when he was sacked, luckily didn’t take long.

I did for van gal even though it was soul destroyingly painful to watch.

I did for mourinho untill his attitude and the whole shit show began. even though I didn’t like him here from the start

This is the team that I’ve liked most and enjoyed watching since Fergie was here, it seems very close to clicking and working but also not quite there, I feel it’s on a knife edge and could go either way. I’m happy to see that play out.

b82REZ

Didn’t like moyes but supported him untill the end and was relieved when he was sacked, luckily didn’t take long.

I did for van gal even though it was soul destroyingly painful to watch.

I did for mourinho untill his attitude and the whole shit show began. even though I didn’t like him here from the start

This is the team that I’ve liked most and enjoyed watching since Fergie was here, it seems very close to clicking and working but also not quite there, I feel it’s on a knife edge and could go either way. I’m happy to see that play out.
So your reason for keeping him are incredibly subjective and based more on how he makes you feel, rather than objective data that shows he's barely an improvement on any of his predecessors. We all love Ole, but this nepotism over him needs to stop.

If we let this season play out, which I fully expect the board to do, I wouldn't be surprised if we finish out of the top four. For all the cries about how Chelsea, Madrid et al work, at least they've remained competitive with their "merrygoround".

We as a club, and large sections of the supporters are far too romantic. In our history we've had two long term, successful managers. They were the exception, not the rule. Between these two we operated a fairly cut throat approach and sacked plenty of managers. The idea that preserving with mediocrity will lead to success and somehow makes us a "better" club is cringey and peak RAWK.

We have the most expensively assembled squad in our history and we're watching a severe underperformance with it. Our form will continue to yo-yo all season, as it always has with Ole and this time next year we'll look back on what could have been if we acted even remotely like a top company, let alone the supposed biggest football club in the country.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
So your reason for keeping him are incredibly subjective and based more on how he makes you feel, rather than objective data that shows he's barely an improvement on any of his predecessors. We all love Ole, but this nepotism over him needs to stop.

If we let this season play out, which I fully expect the board to do, I wouldn't be surprised if we finish out of the top four. For all the cries about how Chelsea, Madrid et al work, at least they've remained competitive with their "merrygoround".

We as a club, and large sections of the supporters are far too romantic. In our history we've had two long term, successful managers. They were the exception, not the rule. Between these two we operated a fairly cut throat approach and sacked plenty of managers. The idea that preserving with mediocrity will lead to success and somehow makes us a "better" club is cringey and peak RAWK.

We have the most expensively assembled squad in our history and we're watching a severe underperformance with it. Our form will continue to yo-yo all season, as it always has with Ole and this time next year we'll look back on what could have been if we acted even remotely like a top company, let alone the supposed biggest football club in the country.
Your first paragraph, yep, exactly, but I’d say it’s on how the team makes me feel, not how Ole makes me feel, I haven’t got a blind love for him, that he put this team together makes no difference, the actual players and apparent commitment, coming from behind, attitudes, yes I like this team even though I’d say that could be/ probably is down to Ole. Atleast when we go behind now I always feels like we have a chance to get back in it again, I didn’t have that feeling under mou, van gaal or moyes.

obviously I like winning too, we had twenty years of winning not all that long ago, but I wouldn’t be keen on winning with a bunch of players or manager that I didn’t take any liking to just for the sake of winning.

football is a balance of support and enjoyment, not just I want to win at any cost. Just how I feel on it.

Foxbatt

No way. He still scored arguably the most important goal in the club's history and I guarantee the fans would still sing his name at games. How he does as a manager isn't going to change that.
You must be joking. He didn't score the most important goal in Manchester United's history. It was scored by George Best in extra time to become the first English club to win the European Cup. There was Manchester United before SAF. This rewriting of history of Manchester United has to stop.

b82REZ

Your first paragraph, yep, exactly, but I’d say it’s on how the team makes me feel, not how Ole makes me feel, I haven’t got a blind love for him, that he put this team together makes no difference, the actual players and apparent commitment, coming from behind, attitudes, yes I like this team even though I’d say that could be/ probably is down to Ole. Atleast when we go behind now I always feels like we have a chance to get back in it again, I didn’t have that feeling under mou, van gaal or moyes.

obviously I like winning too, we had twenty years of winning not all that long ago, but I wouldn’t be keen on winning with a bunch of players or manager that I didn’t take any liking to just for the sake of winning.

football is a balance of support and enjoyment, not just I want to win at any cost. Just how I feel on it.
You have a very strange view. Like it or not all sports are about winning. Yes you'll have your preference on players etc but to be happy treading water because you like the current crop of players is daft. You do realise that a lot of these players would remain if/when Ole goes.

For all the times people get told to feck off and support City/Chelsea/PSG for wanting to win, the opposite could be said for people happy with the mediocrity, go and support Burnley/Cardiff/Arsenal.

At what point will you agree that enough is enough and we need to move him on?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
You have a very strange view. Like it or not all sports are about winning. Yes you'll have your preference on players etc but to be happy treading water because you like the current crop of players is daft. You do realise that a lot of these players would remain if/when Ole goes.

For all the times people get told to feck off and support City/Chelsea/PSG for wanting to win, the opposite could be said for people happy with the mediocrity, go and support Burnley/Cardiff/Arsenal.

I’m just not a win at any cost kind of person. I wouldn’t want a sheik takeover with loads of money just to win. I wouldn’t want a manager who would be here with an horrible attitude just to win. I wouldn’t want a bunch of players bought in for a year or two just to win. Extreme examples but it’s not just about winning even though the end goal is obviously to win.

I know the players would be here if Ole left tomorrow, but he has put this team or been involved in putting this team together over the last 2 years and I think he deserves his chance to see what this season, the season that counts imo can bring.

I wouldn’t be averse to changing the manager in the summer if we are miles off the league and have a rubbish champions league campaign, this is the year he’s got his team and needs to show what he can do with it.

NewUser777

One could argue the same point back to you. We are only a few games in to the season. We have at times been terrible, but you think that is only down to coaching? I’m sure it’s a wide range of things, and I’m sure there have been mistakes made correcting it from the staff. But the players also need to look at themselves and what they are doing. The team is working together to fix it, and we are not in any danger at the moment. Neither in champions league or the league. We all know it’s not sustainable scrapping wins over a long period, but do you not think the coaching staff and the players knows this to?

From my perspective it sound extremely silly to think this is the time to sack Ole, and it won’t happen if things don’t go downhill. He has earned his chance to make this work with the group he has built, there can be no question about that. If the players are not happy with him, that is another thing. But all we hear is that they are.

So I turn the question on the head. How quickly do we abandon the work and ethics laid down by the club, when it’s clear as day it has taken the club in the right direction.

Roboc7

I’m just not a win at any cost kind of person. I wouldn’t want a sheik takeover with loads of money just to win. I wouldn’t want a manager who would be here with an horrible attitude just to win. I wouldn’t want a bunch of players bought in for a year or two just to win. Extreme examples but it’s not just about winning even though the end goal is obviously to win.

I know the players would be here if Ole left tomorrow, but he has put this team or been involved in putting this team together over the last 2 years and I think he deserves his chance to see what this season, the season that counts imo can bring.

I wouldn’t be averse to changing the manager in the summer if we are miles off the league and have a rubbish champions league campaign, this is the year he’s got his team and needs to show what he can do with it.
What exactly are people expecting Ole to with this wait and see approach?. Is he expected to suddenly have a plan, get much better tactically or just get miles better at everything.

I said last season new signings or more time won’t make it all better, it’d just be more of the same. Would love to be proved wrong but I think all more time and money will do with Ole is maybe let the team tread water or as I expect this season regress but not enough for him to be sacked.

What’s been missing throughout this whole rebuild and cultural reboot is sustainable and detailed plan on the pitch. It’s all very basic and almost need to stumble across something that works for a limited time.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
You must be joking. He didn't score the most important goal in Manchester United's history. It was scored by George Best in extra time to become the first English club to win the European Cup. There was Manchester United before SAF. This rewriting of history of Manchester United has to stop.
Not denying that, but a lot of man utd fans won't have been around for that, most remember Ole scoring against barca (and some might have even been there) so its much easier to relate to something you have seen as opposed to read about.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
He still scored one of the most important goals and arguably the most famous in United’s history.
And his legend status as player will always be there. The fans will also continue singing his song, most likely even already in the first game after his sacking.
They can separate the player from the manager.
The same way Dalglish or Lampard will always remain club legends.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Hence why I said arguably because it's definitely up there. It was the goal that won us the fecking treble in the last second!

The only person trying to rewrite history is you. You're downplaying Ole's winner in '99 ffs. :lol:

BalanceUnAutreJoint

He's winning plenty of fans over with incredible comeback wins, likewise the Glazers won't look at the Atalanta game and care about the woeful first half, all they'll see is the bigger narrative of the game and the win.

Ole is definitely at the wheel and he's not letting go of it anytime soon.

Foolish to expect a sack in the upcoming months.

Josh 76

What makes you think Bissouma and Rice would be the difference? Before signing Varane and Sancho, everyone was crying for a new CB and Sancho. Now we need two new midfielders. But after they fail, we'll talk about how we need a new striker because Ronaldo is too old and RB. Then the talk will be that we need a new "modern" goalkeeper. And on and on and on before we rebuild a team a thousand times and go back to the same conclusion - the management is simply not good enough.
Neither is Fred and Mctomminy

Sviken

Neither is Fred and Mctomminy
Sure, but every top team has players that are not up to par. Both Liverpool and City do, as well, doesn't make them play any less better. McTominay is a lost cause, but Fred can be a decent option under a good manager. Our problems lie much deeper than simple players.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
What exactly are people expecting Ole to with this wait and see approach?. Is he expected to suddenly have a plan, get much better tactically or just get miles better at everything.

I said last season new signings or more time won’t make it all better, it’d just be more of the same. Would love to be proved wrong but I think all more time and money will do with Ole is maybe let the team tread water or as I expect this season regress but not enough for him to be sacked.

What’s been missing throughout this whole rebuild and cultural reboot is sustainable and detailed plan on the pitch. It’s all very basic and almost need to stumble across something that works for a limited time.
The wait and see approach is from the last two seasons, he’s proved he can beat the bigger teams, that could help in cup runs, he’s proved we can have decent form and finish position in the league (with our away record). We need more consistency. I just think he deserves this year or atleast untill we are no where near looking like doing anything, we’re still to click this season, I’m hopeful that we will even if there’s a chance we won’t.

DutchCruijff

Surprised this hasn't been posted in here -

Bruno Fernandes: "We have a lot to improve on and the coach [Solskjær] also knows there has to be some improvement at their end but that is part of football."

Bruno Fernandes on #mufc's comeback against Atalanta: "It was the team's will, the will to win, to work as a team, to work all for each other that brings these results." [
@TNTSportsBR via ESPN]

Fernandes: "We have to continue like this. Technically & tactically, it may not have been our best game. We made mistakes & we have to improve. Just because we've won is not right but at the same time, because we lost the other day, all was not bad." [@TNTSportsBR via ESPN]

Not a good look at all.

Giggsyking

Bruno Fernandes: "We have a lot to improve on and the coach [Solskjær] also knows there has to be some improvement at their end but that is part of football."

Bruno Fernandes on #mufc's comeback against Atalanta: "It was the team's will, the will to win, to work as a team, to work all for each other that brings these results." [
@TNTSportsBR via ESPN]

Fernandes: "We have to continue like this. Technically & tactically, it may not have been our best game. We made mistakes & we have to improve. Just because we've won is not right but at the same time, because we lost the other day, all was not bad." [@TNTSportsBR via ESPN]

Not a good look at all.
Ole is not brave enough to bench him, those powerful players know they can say what they want without consequences. That is really very big statment by Bruno.

el3mel

Well said. Supporters need to learn the meaning of support. This forum the past week has been incredible to see, some of the threads and posts are baffling.
I support the club. The manager is just an employee, I don't have to support him as well.

ShinjiNinja26

@TNTSportsBR via ESPN]

Not a good look at all.
Damning! You’d never see a Liverpool, City or Chelsea player come out and say the coaches need to improve and that’s who we’re competing against, if you can call it that.

beer&grill

Shut up, Bruno, and enjoy the win, who cares about performances anyway? If you don’t support the manager you are free to go and play for City. If you can’t see the progress after 3 years then I don’t know what will convince you. It’s very close to clicking, just wait for that CM.

el3mel

These quotes are so weird. Almost feels like he wants to show support for Ole but couldn't help himself to throw some hidden digs in between the lines to show that the manager isn't good enough but he can't say it clearly.

These quotes are so weird. Almost feels like he wants to show support for Ole but couldn't help himself to throw some hidden digs in between the lines to show that the manager isn't good enough but he can't say it clearly.
Written quotes are always difficult to gauge and often quotes are a selective slice of a larger interview, so the context is lost.

You really need to see and hear the player saying these words, read his body language and facial expressions etc.

Ultimately this quote can be taken either way - the Ole Out lot will spin it as Bruno attacking the Manager. But it can easily be seen as a fairly broad comment about everyone involved knowing improvements are needed.

hobbers

Those quotes from Bruno very accurately capture what I assume most of the squad think about Ole. Great guy, rubbish coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.