Ole Gunnar Solskjær | 2021/22 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

dutchred

I am watching Dortmund v Ajax and the thought crossed my mind that if OGS had bought Bellingham would he have given him any games, given how he has handled Elenga, Mejbri, Diallo and some of our other young talents

lex talionis

I am watching Dortmund v Ajax and the thought crossed my mind that if OGS had bought Bellingham would he have given him any games, given how he has handled Elenga, Mejbri, Diallo and some of our other young talents
Both sides look properly managed. A shame such a thing is not often witnessed at OT except by visiting sides.

dutchred

Both sides look properly managed. A shame such a thing is not often witnessed at OT except by visiting sides.
Bellingham looks really good. I have seen a lot of Mejbri and I don't think he's any less. If he was at a Dutch or German club he would be playing regularly in place of Mac

dutchred

I also think that if we were properly managed Laird would be playing as right wing back and Galbraith would be in and around the first team

Sviken

Over McFred? No chance. Probably would have given him a game or two before benching him for eternity, aka the Donny (now Sancho) special.

Kaos

He'd probably have been like Amad, sent out on loan somewhere or otherwise just existing within the fringes of the team largely forgotten about. In hindsight Bellingham did well to turn us down in favour of Dortmund. For all his talk about the United way, Ole's not exactly been brilliant at handling youth outside of promoting Mason Greenwood.

dutchred

He'd probably have been like Amad, sent out on loan somewhere or otherwise just existing within the fringes of the team largely forgotten about. In hindsight Bellingham did well to turn us down in favour of Dortmund. For all his talk about the United way, Ole's not exactly been brilliant at handling youth outside of promoting Mason Greenwood.
In that sense Ole is somewhat of a coward. Even now now his handling of Mason is questionable. Certainly his handling of vd Beek and some of our young attackers and midfielders is questionable. Even Klopp, Teuchel and Pep seem to be handling their young players better than us. How can we have Laird and Galbraith out on loan while having littlt cover at full back and mac Fred in midfield and Pogba playing to his own tune.

Kaos

In that sense Ole is somewhat of a coward. Even now now his handling of Mason is questionable. Certainly his handling of vd Beek and some of our young attackers and midfielders is questionable. Even Klopp, Teuchel and Pep seem to be handling their young players better than us. How can we have Laird and Galbraith out on loan while having littlt cover at full back and mac Fred in midfield and Pogba playing to his own tune.
I think now his jobs at risk, he's fully given up with "The United way" approach he obsessively refers to, resorting to McFred every game and rushing back injured senior defenders.

dutchred

The difference is shown tonight by Ajax.
Berghuis who has probably been our best player this year was having a quiet game tonight, he is replayed by Kudus a young promising player, Would OGS risk subbing Bruno for a young player if he was having a nightmare?

Pronewbie

Peep
The difference is shown tonight by Ajax.
Berghuis who has probably been our best player this year was having a quiet game tonight, he is replayed by Kudus a young promising player, Would OGS risk subbing Bruno for a young player if he was having a nightmare?
Donny on for Bruno in the Atalanta game was a start.

dutchred

Donny on for Bruno in the Atalanta game was a start.
in which minute was that?
in the 87th minute hardly enough to make an impact. Ten Haag gave Kudus nearly a full half to do something, not a token few minutes at the end

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I think now his jobs at risk, he's fully given up with "The United way" approach he obsessively refers to, resorting to McFred every game and rushing back injured senior defenders.
This what makes me loathe him. He has no heart for united way from the start. It's all about ole united and preservation mode. If he had an ounce of care he'd employ proper coach instead of his matey buddies.

SAF binned the whole squad in favor of the co92, even when he made 2nd he took the gamble. Ole never have the guts to gamble shits.

gajender

This what makes me loathe him. He has no heart for united way from the start. It's all about ole united and preservation mode. If he had an ounce of care he'd employ proper coach instead of his matey buddies.

SAF binned the whole squad in favor of the co92, even when he made 2nd he took the gamble. Ole never have the guts to gamble shits.
He could have Guardiola and Klopp as his coaches and we would still be shit it's only on this forum you'll find people who think coaches have greater influence on how teams play than the actual manager or head coach .

Wasn't Klopp suppose to struggle when his longtime assistant left but he went strength to strength, We can have as many excuses as we we want for Solskjaer struggles but fact of the matter is he is just not good enough and bringing in so called better coaches won't change that because ultimately it's his vision they would bring on the field which frankly speaking is bit of a nightmare.

bondsname

I see nothing wrong with the Fury and Michael Jordan quotes. People are just upset by anything Ole says at the moment.

Longshanks

Ole has to get the midfield into some sort of disciplined shape otherwise its curtains its a simple as that, its was nice and disciplined against spurs and we looked compact and coherent and looked like we had a plan and we knew what what we were doing. The only time this season thats been the case.

Fast forward to Tuesday and the shape completely dissapears, an absolute mess to put it likely and the result is a chaotic display where we were lucky to get anything out of it.

It doesn't how many you play at the back or upfront, if you have no coherent midfield shape your not getting anywhere.

Ole needs to get them into shape and getting them playing with discipline, if he doesn't then it will be curtains sooner rather than later.

Deathgeoff

I’ve been watching this with interest as a Liverpool fan. However hear me out…

Ole, for all his flaws, it rightly a club legend - he won you a champions league for goodness sake. Asking the match going fans to boo him personally is unlikely to happen, and rightly so. I’m sure they are frustrated, but I can’t see them turning on a club legend. Is he out of his depth, yes. Should he go, probably. But regardless of the mixed season, he answered the call and tried to help out. He’s united through and through - don’t forget that.

if it makes you feel better, I was born in 1981 - which means I was too young to understand when Liverpool was good, and fell in love with them when they were shit - circa 1991. I still have nightmares about those sodding white suits and that Cantona goal. In short we were in the wilderness for a while, an FA CUP here and there but that was about it. I don’t buy this history argument. I was alive for two champions leagues, and I’m glad I saw them, as I’m sure the majority of you lot are when SAF won them for you.

Also, as a long time lurker, I noticed a thread about Klopp, Tuchel and Pep - the reality is they can’t hold a candle to SAF - he brought English football back to prominence in Europe and changed the way we play. Otherwise we would probably still be playing like the crazy gang - I.e. shite.

Anyway, observations over - no animosity intended.

AndySmith1990

He's taken us to the top of the CL group so far, which is a plus. Doing his job.
Considering our squad cost more than the rest of the group combined, I'd be fairly optimistic we'd qualify from it even with Sam Allerdyce in charge.

The way we've struggled in all of our matches has been embarrassing tbh and if not for Ronaldo I imagine we'd be back in the Europa pretty soon.

wolvored

Big Ron got us top 4 regular, won 2 FA cups, got to a league cup final and loved to spend big. Yet got sacked.
Kind of puts it into perspective. Under the Glazers there wouldnt have been a Fergie.

Revan

Assumptionman
Even Klopp and Pep? Two managers with a long history of playing young players?

Revan

Assumptionman
He could have Guardiola and Klopp as his coaches and we would still be shit it's only on this forum you'll find people who think coaches have greater influence on how teams play than the actual manager or head coach .

Wasn't Klopp suppose to struggle when his longtime assistant left but he went strength to strength, We can have as many excuses as we we want for Solskjaer struggles but fact of the matter is he is just not good enough and bringing in so called better coaches won't change that because ultimately it's his vision they would bring on the field which frankly speaking is bit of a nightmare.
I think the main difference is that Klopp (and for that matter everyone else) is the head coach of his club. He leads the training. So for him or Pep etc, it does not matter too much if they replace their assistant coaches, cause they are in charge of training.

Of course, Ole is the exception. He is too cool to deal with little things like coaching. His assistant, Phelan, also is above coaching himself. Which leaves the coaching to the two noobs: Carrick and McKenna. So, in this case, it actually might matter who is doing the coaching. I think we would have done better with a coach like Queiroz or Maulensteen, although of course, there would have still been a relatively low ceiling with Ole in charge of tactics (aka, passion, belief, go win 50-50).

Mickson

I remember when I pointed that out last season, and everyone went mental "HE GIVES YOUTH A CHANCE LOOK AT MCTOMINAY" 17 minutes this season. To Elanga. As a left-back. No manager in the league is more afraid of losing than Ole, no matter the magnitude of the game. He's not worthy of being a Manchester United manager.

James Peril

Well, Bellingham is a generational talent and the other guys you mentioned have shown nothing. If you’re good enough, you’re old enough and so on. If let’s say Elanga does very well in training, he gets a chance. We need to stop think every youth player is the next thing, they seldom are. Rashford is such a player coming out of the youth setup, but he’s hardly a world-beater.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Well, Bellingham is a generational talent and the other guys you mentioned have shown nothing. If you’re good enough, you’re old enough and so on. If let’s say Elanga does very well in training, he gets a chance. We need to stop think every youth player is the next thing, they seldom are. Rashford is such a player coming out of the youth setup, but he’s hardly a world-beater.
And Sancho can't get games because he's a youth academy player?

Unless a player shines on his debut, Ole isn't going to adjust his starting 11 unless they're injured.

El B

Going by the Andy Mitten piece in The Athletic, Ole has the backing of the board and he is not under any pressure. I reckon he has the season to see how things go. Unfortunately I wouldn't hold my breath on him being sacked any time soon.

Any other big club would have him out the door. It's just mindboggling how the manager, coaching staff and players all serve up the same shit performances week in and week out with no real consequences.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Going by the Andy Mitten piece in The Athletic, Ole has the backing of the board and he is not under any pressure. I reckon he has the season to see how things go. Unfortunately I wouldn't hold my breath on him being sacked any time soon.

Any other big club would have him out the door. It's just mindboggling how the manager, coaching staff and players all serve up the same shit performances week in and week out with no real consequences.
I dont think it has anything to do with Ole . Board has someone in mind and they aren't available until June. They just don't want any other care taker now.

I agree with first part but disagree with second part. A change would help us massively for the rest of the season. I don't think Ole will qualify for CL knock outs or top 4.

reelworld

I dont think it has anything to do with Ole . Board has someone in mind and they aren't available until June. They just don't want any other care taker now.

I agree with first part but disagree with second part. A change would help us massively for the rest of the season. I don't think Ole will qualify for CL knock outs or top 4.
The issue with this is what happens if Ole failed to get top 4 and the next manager will be more difficult to attract since we won't have CL football

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Complete nonsense, these players havent been getting any chances.

Diallo was MoTM contender for his last two starts matches, but will still never get a proper chance. Ole will rather get Mata's contract renewed. He's a complete coward and finally people are seeing him for the manager he really is.

dutchred

Complete nonsense, these players havent been getting any chances.

Diallo was MoTM contender for his last two starts matches, but will still never get a proper chance. Ole will rather get Mata's contract renewed. He's a complete coward and finally people are seeing him for the manager he really is.
He's sacred of losing and as a result he forces players back from injury too soon. He is also too scared to experiment. I would love to see either Mejbri or Galbraith give a 6 match run in place of Mac, then at least we can see their potential, but Ole will never do that. He continues to prise Mac the heavens for an average performance, maybe because he is so poor that average seems MOM to Ole

Kaos

Posters here have a go at others wanting us to lose, and you could understand the reservations there, but it does genuinely feel like we're going to be stuck in this nightmare of mediocre purgatory until the board are essentially forced to reluctantly sack him for a string of very poor results. I was elated with Ronaldo's winner against Atalanta, but the sad reality is it probably would have prolonged our suffering long term. What a sorry state of affairs.

Stadjer

Posters here have a go at others wanting us to lose, and you could understand the reservations there, but it does genuinely feel like we're going to be stuck in this nightmare of mediocre purgatory until the board are essentially forced to reluctantly sack him for a string of very poor results. I was elated with Ronaldo's winner against Atalanta, but the sad reality is it probably would have prolonged our suffering long term. What a sorry state of affairs.
Basically we got too many players who are too good to get Ole sacked. With the quality of Ronaldo, Bruno and others there will always be a chance to win eventhough there is bad coaching and no tactics. Ole will keep his job because the players are good enough to achieve enough for him to keep his job.

Kaos

Basically we got too many players who are too good to get Ole sacked. With the quality of Ronaldo, Bruno and others there will always be a chance to win eventhough there is bad coaching and no tactics. Ole will keep his job because the players are good enough to achieve enough for him to keep his job.
And thats the depressingly reality. We have this unfortunate concoction of a board with criminally low standards, desperately wanting their chosen man to succeed (with a very tenuous definition of "success"), said poor manager who is clearly the worst in the league, but also a squad of players too good for the team to lose consistently.

Max_United

And Sancho can't get games because he's a youth academy player?

Unless a player shines on his debut, Ole isn't going to adjust his starting 11 unless they're injured.
It is actually ironic how "United DNA" Ole starts only one relatively young player that he signed (AWB). And even here there is no certainly that he is good enough and we were chasing a 31 year old Trippier for his position. Other young players that he signed are either on loan/reserves (Amad, Pellistri) or benched (VdB, Sancho) or sold (James). Other starters that he signed (Maguire, Varane, Ronaldo, Bruno, Cavani) are peak or past-peak.

With existing players, yes, Ole starts Greenwood, but Jose regularly started thd likes of Rashford and McTominay who were very young at the time.

If Mourinho had the same record as Ole with signing and using youth, we would 100% have threads on here how he does not trust/use youth enough. But with Ole for a long time his background/talk/desire of fans to have new Fergie clouded perceptions.

What a strange post.

Status
Not open for further replies.