Ole Gunnar Solskjær needs more time and respect at Manchester United

SteveW

Such a knee jerk attitude and unrealistic outlook. How long was LvG given? Jose? Fergie? Fans like you would have sacked Sir Alex way before he won anything.

Ole won't get United relegated, that's just insanity and a ridiculous comment. Jose tried to turn United in to his Chelsea and Inter Milan. He bought Matic and Lukaku and tried to bully teams with his bus parking style and great lump bully up front but that's ok is it?

I don't know what some fans want or think, they expect a manager to come in and instantly make United challenge on all fronts and then berate them instantly when things don't go their way.

If you can't see what Ole is trying to do then you don't understand the club. If you arent prepared to give him time because you feel he's not a big or experienced enough name then that's on you, but the club, team and manager would be far better off with your support rather than your negativity and pessimism. I'd rather be a mid table side for a year if the end product saw us back at the top, rather than 3 years of the shit Jose gave us..I could see what Jose was doing and hated it, I can see what Ole is trying to do and I'm prepared to give him some time. It's way too early to be writing him off and he deserves support. Tbh I'm disgusted at the way many so called fans are turning against him and speaking about him.
They're entitled brats. They've no interest in a long term sustainable solution.

If given time I can see Ole building a talented motivated squad with a good age profile. This is everything at the end of the day. Good squads win trophies, bad ones don't. Woodward's recent comments on the importance of sound recruitment going forward suggest the penny has finally dropped within the club. I would attribute that to the influence of Solskjaer and Phelan and their focus on long term thinking.

I still can't believe United actually managed to sign 3 good players with no mistakes this summer. After the last 7 years it seems like a miracle. He's brought 3 talented motivated players in and made a decent start in getting rid of the bad players/characters. The squad looks far more motivated and honest these days. Once the injuries clear up and we can add a few more good players in we will have a good team.

2 windows might get the majority of it done. Yet people can't even wait that long and want to hound him out now because he can't magically turn a team made up of players like Rojo, Young, Matic, Fred, Mata, Pereira and Lingard into winners overnight.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Such a knee jerk attitude and unrealistic outlook. How long was LvG given? Jose? Fergie? Fans like you would have sacked Sir Alex way before he won anything.

Ole won't get United relegated, that's just insanity and a ridiculous comment. Jose tried to turn United in to his Chelsea and Inter Milan. He bought Matic and Lukaku and tried to bully teams with his bus parking style and great lump bully up front but that's ok is it?

I don't know what some fans want or think, they expect a manager to come in and instantly make United challenge on all fronts and then berate them instantly when things don't go their way.

If you can't see what Ole is trying to do then you don't understand the club. If you arent prepared to give him time because you feel he's not a big or experienced enough name then that's on you, but the club, team and manager would be far better off with your support rather than your negativity and pessimism. I'd rather be a mid table side for a year if the end product saw us back at the top, rather than 3 years of the shit Jose gave us..I could see what Jose was doing and hated it, I can see what Ole is trying to do and I'm prepared to give him some time. It's way too early to be writing him off and he deserves support. Tbh I'm disgusted at the way many so called fans are turning against him and speaking about him.
I’m sorry but who’s you trying to convince? None of the things you mention is questioned.

It’s simple. There are strong evidences that Ole’s coaching abilities isn’t good enough. Despite a draw at home against the best team in the world his results the last 20 games is in the modern PL era on a all time low. Look at the table and it’s all there.

Our last three signings are good but not sensational. Only Daniel James can be labeled as something special and he was according to reports recommended to us by Ryan Giggs. Maguire cost us a record fee. Wan Bissaka was last seasons best young fullback, everybody knew about his potential and he cost us £50m plus.

United can still do all the things you have mentioned without Solksjaer as a manager. Rebuild the squad. Reboot discipline and plan for the future. All this attributes isn’t exclusively only connected to him. Our first team needs a competent manager so we can still be competitive at a respectable level in this rebuilding phase.

If we don’t immediately starts to win enough games on a regular basis then Ole isn’t going to last to the end of the season. That’s the context of many supporters criticism.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
They're entitled brats. They've no interest in a long term sustainable solution.

If given time I can see Ole building a talented motivated squad with a good age profile. This is everything at the end of the day. Good squads win trophies, bad ones don't. Woodward's recent comments on the importance of sound recruitment going forward suggest the penny has finally dropped within the club. I would attribute that to the influence of Solskjaer and Phelan and their focus on long term thinking.

I still can't believe United actually managed to sign 3 good players with no mistakes this summer. After the last 7 years it seems like a miracle. He's brought 3 talented motivated players in and made a decent start in getting rid of the bad players/characters. The squad looks far more motivated and honest these days. Once the injuries clear up and we can add a few more good players in we will have a good team.

2 windows might get the majority of it done. Yet people can't even wait that long and want to hound him out now because he can't magically turn a team made up of players like Rojo, Young, Matic, Fred, Mata, Pereira and Lingard into winners overnight.
Perfectly put.

RG 11

For me personally, Ole has the right ideas but the evidence is stacked against him when it comes to execution.

Good managers consistently get more out of the team than the individual quality of players. Look at Southampton or Spurs under Pochettino, Liverpool under Klopp (that midfield is nothing to shout about), Atletico under Simeone or even Lampard for Chelsea. They all seem to have a game plan which compliments their players.

So far with Ole, I just see a lot of talk and no evidence. His tactics have usually been just counter attacking and using Martial / James / Rashford's pace to create things. We aren't even attractive to watch like the initial games anymore.

His ideas around deadwood are good but his squad management has been horrendous. If you go through the Felliani / Lukaku threads, you'll see that most of the forum agrees with his decisions but wanted adequate replacements (which he + board failed to get).

His signings are good but it's not like he unearthed hidden gems. McGuire was a Mourinho target and half the CAF wanted Wan Bissaka. James was a Giggs recommendation.

And I hate how most of Ole supporters' argument is that people wanting to sack Ole would have sacked SAF. Saf came to United with one of the best records and United had already struggled for 20+ years when he arrived. He got a 2nd place finish in his second year and even then a FA cup win was needed in his 6th season to keep him in the job.

I don't think most people would be against keeping Ole in the job if he wins the FA cup / EL and United finish mid table.

RedDevil@84

I would definitely like to understand this whole Ole master plan that some fans are pretty much convinced is well on track. Not that I think Ole is crap and need to be fired tomorrow, but I genuinely don't understand all this master plan talk. The team is blowing hot and cold, and I don't really see any constant improvement in our game.

Micky Targaryen

You rather have us be a mid table side with Ole, than have the 3 years of "shit" with Jose? Sorry, but we have to agree to disagree. Within the 3 years of "shit" with Jose, we still had Champions League football, won our very first Europa League, managed to get top 2 in the PL and most importantly, we managed to stay relevant in the league. As compared to Ole's reign, even the minnows aren't afraid of facing United anymore. Every small club have a decent chance to beat us and Old Trafford is beginning to be our beating ground. At least we had a formidable home record with Jose. With Ole, we struggle to score more than a goal a game! So what exactly are we supposed to "understand"? Look, I'm trying to look for any positives so far from Ole, but he's not even giving us an straws to grasp at the moment. Tell me this, if Ole wasn't a club legend, would you still be typing this post?

Going by the bolded bit, you obviously understand more about the club more than the average fan. Kindly elaborate more on that. And try not to include cringey terms like 'legend', 'DNA' or 'identity'.

ryansgirl

Respect to you Sir or Madame. This post just says it all. Thank you.

Those who want Ole thrown under the locomotive also have little idea of the process of team restructuring. If we were to get Jadon Sancho, say, that would automatically improve the team especially as he is familiar with the other England lads at United - two of whom are here precisely because Ole could sell himself as well as Manchester United to them.

After Sancho it would be easier to attract high calibre players. I`ve been reading about Sancho`s background recently. The lad not only has top class ability - he has that will to succeed and drive to keep going that we need. From an under-privileged background but determined to hone his footballing skills and be somebody.

His move to Germany actually is an amazing story. He plays for a club with modest facilities for the players, a city with no real attractions. Jadon is developing all the time and willing to develop his craft in a decidedly unglamorous location in a country of which he had no real knowledge and none of its language when he went there. I like Jadon Sancho`s character and I think Manchester United could get him.

Eric7C

I would definitely like to understand this whole Ole master plan that some fans are pretty much convinced is well on track. Not that I think Ole is crap and need to be fired tomorrow, but I genuinely don't understand all this master plan talk. The team is blowing hot and cold, and I don't really see any constant improvement in our game.
You can't; it is a fairytale that only REAL fans can envision.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I’m sorry but who’s you trying to convince? None of the things you mention is questioned.

It’s simple. There are strong evidences that Ole’s coaching abilities isn’t good enough. Despite a draw at home against the best team in the world his results the last 20 games is in the modern PL era on a all time low. Look at the table and it’s all there.

Our last three signings are good but not sensational. Only Daniel James can be labeled as something special and he was according to reports recommended to us by Ryan Giggs. Maguire cost us a record fee. Wan Bissaka was last seasons best young fullback, everybody knew about his potential and he cost us £50m plus.

United can still do all the things you have mentioned without Solksjaer as a manager. Rebuild the squad. Reboot discipline and plan for the future. All this attributes isn’t exclusively only connected to him. Our first team needs a competent manager so we can still be competitive at a respectable level in this rebuilding phase.

If we don’t immediately starts to win enough games on a regular basis then Ole isn’t going to last to the end of the season. That’s the context of many supporters criticism.
True, but fans here will not afford him the chance to do just that. Making this Frankestein monster of a squad competitive in one window was never possible. It's no secret that United fans have a soft spot for Ole because he is a former player, but no one places him higher than the club. People on here love to dismiss his signings as "obvious", but how come none of our former world class managers managed to do these obvious good signings and instead filled the squad with mediocre players that we now struggle to rid ourselves off?

The fact that Ole loves the club may sound like a cliche, but what it implies is that he can handle more pressure before throwing in the towel. I'd imagine if we had someone like Allegri who has exactly zero ties to the club and he was getting the dogs abuse from both the media and the fans for not delivering he would quickly say "feck it" and leave when the pressure was getting to big.

No one is denying the results since March have been bloody awful, but as weird as it sound the focus now should be on building solid foundations of a new team, results come second. And just for the record, if Ole never got appointed permanently and we had Poch (or literally anyone else) in the chair right now my stance would be exactly the same. As long as the manager showed signs of a long term vision and was willing to weather the storm i would be on board.

Mainoldo

Those who want Ole thrown under the locomotive also have little idea of the process of team restructuring. If we were to get Jadon Sancho, say, that would automatically improve the team especially as he is familiar with the other England lads at United - two of whom are here precisely because Ole could sell himself as well as Manchester United to them.

After Sancho it would be easier to attract high calibre players. I`ve been reading about Sancho`s background recently. The lad not only has top class ability - he has that will to succeed and drive to keep going that we need. From an under-privileged background but determined to hone his footballing skills and be somebody.

His move to Germany actually is an amazing story. He plays for a club with modest facilities for the players, a city with no real attractions. Jadon is developing all the time and willing to develop his craft in a decidedly unglamorous location in a country of which he had no real knowledge and none of its language when he went there. I like Jadon Sancho`s character and I think Manchester United could get him.
Why the hell is Sancho going to come to a midtable side? He has ambition, he’s not Steven Gerrard doing a club a favour! You keep hoping a rubbish side can attract the best players. It will hit home soon enough.

Mainoldo

You can't; it is a fairytale that only REAL fans can envision.
Real fans and Ed Woodward ‘apparently’ how ironic!!

Also shows who the fickle ones are. Ya boy Ed is trying to appease to your type.

Roboc7

It’s nothing to do with not understanding restructuring it’s just the simple reality we have a manger who isn’t very good. It’s the right idea to rebuild over a longer period of time but if that’s what the club now wants to do they should have the best possible manager to do it.

You can give Ole better players (not Sancho that’s pipe dream) but he’ll still be a very ordinary, defensive, counter attacking manager with poor game management. This idea we want to rebuild so we have to stick with Ole is odd, they are not dependent on each other.

Enigma_87

You know who
True, but fans here will not afford him the chance to do just that. Making this Frankestein monster of a squad competitive in one window was never possible. It's no secret that United fans have a soft spot for Ole because he is a former player, but no one places him higher than the club. People on here love to dismiss his signings as "obvious", but how come none of our former world class managers managed to do these obvious good signings and instead filled the squad with mediocre players that we now struggle to rid ourselves off?

The fact that Ole loves the club may sound like a cliche, but what it implies is that he can handle more pressure before throwing in the towel. I'd imagine if we had someone like Allegri who has exactly zero ties to the club and he was getting the dogs abuse from both the media and the fans for not delivering he would quickly say "feck it" and leave when the pressure was getting to big.

No one is denying the results since March have been bloody awful, but as weird as it sound the focus now should be on building solid foundations of a new team, results come second. And just for the record, if Ole never got appointed permanently and we had Poch (or literally anyone else) in the chair right now my stance would be exactly the same. As long as the manager showed signs of a long term vision and was willing to weather the storm i would be on board.
I genuinely doubt that for some fans. We are 7 points off top 4, 2 points off relegation zone, yet some of the top reds are clinging to him like there is no other manager in the world.

We are lowering the standards to relegation level in order to prove a point or something, I really have no idea..

Eric7C

Why the hell is Sancho going to come to a midtable side? He has ambition, he’s not Steven Gerrard doing a club a favour! You keep hoping a rubbish side can attract the best players. It will hit home soon enough.
It won't hit home. There's always success in the "long term" to look forward to, a forever shifting goalpost. We will also attract the best players in the world even if we finish 17th because we are MANCHESTER UNITED.

Enigma_87

You know who
It won't hit home. There's always success in the "long term" to look forward to, a forever shifting goalpost. We will also attract the best players in the world even if we finish 17th because we are MANCHESTER UNITED.
The only way he is going to us is to throw money at him, which is what we should avoid considering Sanchez.

I'm pretty sure Barca will be interested, maybe Real, Bayern. All will have the cash and are a lot more appealing place to be. Even out of favor Dybala didn't want to come in the Summer. I think most need a bit of a reality check.

The so called long term project is failing pretty badly, we have a nobody at helm and if you are a top player coming in your prime you won't be appealed to it, that's my views on the matter.

lysglimt

Scout
Just out of curiosity - what would do you with the players we have ?

lysglimt

Scout
The only way he is going to us is to throw money at him, which is what we should avoid considering Sanchez.

I'm pretty sure Barca will be interested, maybe Real, Bayern. All will have the cash and are a lot more appealing place to be. Even out of favor Dybala didn't want to come in the Summer. I think most need a bit of a reality check.

The so called long term project is failing pretty badly, we have a nobody at helm and if you are a top player coming in your prime you won't be appealed to it, that's my views on the matter.
We did attract Maguire, AWB and James - we did get DDG, McTominay, Rashford and Martial to sign new contracts - so maybe it's not quite as bad as you make it out to be.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We did attract Maguire, AWB and James - we did get DDG, McTominay, Rashford and Martial to sign new contracts - so maybe it's not quite as bad as you make it out to be.
Well that was a coup wasn't it. Clubs were battering the door down to sign him. DDG stock has fallen so think it is more we were the only ones offering what he wanted. Martial has fallen off a cliff and I do think Rashford just wanted to stay anyway.

Enigma_87

You know who
None of Maguire, AWB, James or DDG and Rashford have the high stock Sancho has at the moment or is likely to have next summer.

DDG form was shocking last year and there weren't many takers in the summer. Doubt someone else would've paid what we paid for Rashford and Martial has stalled in his development and had lot of injuries recently.

Maguire we paid over the odds to get him - If City equaled our bid things might be different.

Eric7C

Just out of curiosity - what would do you with the players we have ?
If I were a good coach/manager - presumably the minimum required to have a job at United - I would coach them in attacking patterns of play (making runs, making space for your teammates, being available for them, quicker passing, never taking more than two touches etc.) I would definitely have an attacking tactic that is not limited to counter-attacking or passing the ball into the wide channels. United have always been a great counter-attacking side, but that was just one of the aspects of play, not the be all and end all the way it is currently.

Is this really too much to expect?

el3mel

City pulled out of Maguire deal, and no other big club was interested in AWB. We had no competition for those, and seriously James?

What's the big deal in the likes of Rashford or Scott signing new deals?

You can look at Mandzukic and Dybala who actually rejected us, instead of listing some academy products and players in midtable clubs we had zero competition for.

When will we consider giving Greenwood a contract too as some achievement for Ole btw?

fergosaurus

City pulled out of Maguire deal, and no other big club was interested in AWB. We had no competition for those, and seriously James?

You can look at Mandzukic and Dybala who actually rejected us, instead of listing some academy products and players in midtable clubs we had zero competition for.

When will we consider giving Greenwood a contract too as some achievement for Ole btw?
Eriksen as well.

It makes me laugh that people think Sancho would want to come to us. Let's sign Mbappe too while we're at it.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Fully agree. Way to much short-term reactionism here. Too many people here only know the Fergie years, but he's gone now and we need to rebuild not just the team but the entire club as well.
100% ^^
This club isn't going to get back to the top of the tree anytime soon, regardless of bringing in a BIG named manager or not.
The whole club took their eye off the ball as soon as Fergie left and the intense pressure to succeed was lifted. That includes scouts, coaches and most definitely the players.

Just as it was when Fergie first arrived, the first task is to straighten out the dressing room mentality and rebuild the squad, and Solskjaer is doing exactly that.
Already Valencia, Lukaku, Sanchez, Smalling, Darmian, Fellaini have been shown the door, and it won't be long until Matic, Rojo, Bailly and Jones follow them.
It's a long process, 6 years of piss poor management to correct and put right, but Solskjaer has already shown that he knows what needs to be done and he isn't shirking the responsibility.

smallred

at the way things are going, we are going to be 16th/17th in the table come april -> this is based off our last 18 games where we have 18 points.

Ole relegated Cardiff and got sacked in the championship. do people really see him turning this around?

we all hope he does, but how much more time does he get, 18 games is half a season, there isnt another big club in the world would tolerate a run of results lik this which essentially has is at relegation form - we only arent in it because theres 4 or 5 clubs that are worse than us.

Smores

I'm assuming those purposely conflating the rebuild with Ole himself so that they can pretend criticism of the latter is criticism of the former at least know they're doing this right?

It's sad that our fans have succumbed to such an obvious political trick. Convince people of an ambiguous long term plan and every failure will just be "part of the plan', at least until people wise up anyway.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Yeah because Jose and LvG did so well didn't they?

I will reiterate what I said in other threads. United do not have a god given right to.win.. Manchester United is about more than winning, it's about style, hard work, respect, determination, never giving up, spirit, unity, giving youth and local talent a chance. The trouble is the spoilt generation have grown up watching United win everything, they don't know the pain of relegation and are just learning the pain of watching our biggest rivals win everything.

Ole has gone about things the right way so far. He's bought exciting players and got rid of some that were draining the life, soul and money from the club. He's giving youngsters a chance and he's also bought players who we can see fit the typical United mould of fast attacking in WB and James and strong and solid in Maguire.

Those three alone fit United more than Lukaku or Fellaini ever did. We gave LvG and Jose years and millions so why can't we afford Ole the same, especially when despite his inexperience, all evidence so far suggests his team and the vision of the one he wants to build is 100% Manchester United, and not reformed Chelsea like Jose wanted. He's trying to build a team that fits the club rather than building one for himself like Jose did. The worst part is he's being destroyed for it by fans who have no patience yet didn't want Jose and have no answer or alternative, all they offer is negativity.
Exactly - I think at the end of the day some just like to moan regardless of what is going on, even after a positive performance like Sunday I still see many spreading negativity, thats when you know they have made up their minds and its not even worth trying to discuss a different point of view

Dr. StrangeHate

Yeah because Jose and LvG did so well didn't they?
Compared to Ole they did very well, just not Manchester united level well. If Ole gets us Top 4 this season (LVG) or wins two trophies this season (Jose), Ole in crowd would want him installed for ever.

I will reiterate what I said in other threads. United do not have a god given right to.win.. Manchester United is about more than winning, it's about style, hard work, respect, determination, never giving up, spirit, unity, giving youth and local talent a chance. The trouble is the spoilt generation have grown up watching United win everything, they don't know the pain of relegation and are just learning the pain of watching our biggest rivals win everything.
No one is asking for trophies at the moment. We just don't want Moyes level of football and tactical mastery. He did very well against Liverpool I have to say but has gotten comfortably outsmarted by many teams since PSG.

Ole has gone about things the right way so far. He's bought exciting players and got rid of some that were draining the life, soul and money from the club. He's giving youngsters a chance and he's also bought players who we can see fit the typical United mould of fast attacking in WB and James and strong and solid in Maguire.
He has bought well but he is also (by his own admission) the person responsible for taking a 4-6 position team from Jose and gutting the midfield and forward position to such an extent that we are a 6-8 position squad now.

Those three alone fit United more than Lukaku or Fellaini ever did. We gave LvG and Jose years and millions so why can't we afford Ole the same, especially when despite his inexperience, all evidence so far suggests his team and the vision of the one he wants to build is 100% Manchester United, and not reformed Chelsea like Jose wanted. He's trying to build a team that fits the club rather than building one for himself like Jose did. The worst part is he's being destroyed for it by fans who have no patience yet didn't want Jose and have no answer or alternative, all they offer is negativity.
LVG and Jose got the time they got because they earned it. Top 4 for LVG and Jose had 2 trophies and Top 2 (although I wanted him gone after Sevilla). If they had results like Ole since PSG, and be in the position in the table as us (17th since PSG), and shown no signs of turning it around, I would be the first one wanting them out. If someone like Klopp, Tuchel, Pep, etc. came in and changed the way we play in a positive way I would be all for giving them time. But the form we are in and the absolute horrid football on display doesn't warrant any patience.

Last edited:

lysglimt

Scout

I didnt mention James as a big signing - i mentioned James as an example that we dont Always need big-name signings.

The big deal with players like DDG, Rashford, McTominay etc signing new contracts - is that easily could have decided not to.

Mandzukic didnt reject us...and Dybala rejected us ? Maybe - but we don't know. Maybe he rejected Spurs as well - simply because he didnt want to leave Juventus.

3KDré

Comparisons between Solskjaer and Sir Alex or even Klopp do not make sense.

Before he came here, Sir Alex had a record of making his team more than the sum of its parts and had actually won major honours. The same can be said for Klopp. There is no evidence for this in Ole's case.

I would accept it if there were signs of our play improving, patterns of play actually showing. There have been a lot of comparisons between Klopp's start and Ole's. Klopp was not winning, which is fair enough, however you could see his style of play from the beginning. You can't with Ole.

Regardless, the biggest obstacle of our success isn't our coach/manager. It's Ed and the Glazers. If we're going to be crap while they're still here we might as well enjoy good football, which is why I would prefer a good coach next.

lysglimt

Scout
If I were a good coach/manager - presumably the minimum required to have a job at United - I would coach them in attacking patterns of play (making runs, making space for your teammates, being available for them, quicker passing, never taking more than two touches etc.) I would definitely have an attacking tactic that is not limited to counter-attacking or passing the ball into the wide channels. United have always been a great counter-attacking side, but that was just one of the aspects of play, not the be all and end all the way it is currently.

Is this really too much to expect?
Ok - but when you have 3-4 players not suited for this kind of play and several key-players missing ? How do you solve this over night ?

el3mel

I didnt mention James as a big signing - i mentioned James as an example that we dont Always need big-name signings.

The big deal with players like DDG, Rashford, McTominay etc signing new contracts - is that easily could have decided not to.

Mandzukic didnt reject us...and Dybala rejected us ? Maybe - but we don't know. Maybe he rejected Spurs as well - simply because he didnt want to leave Juventus.
Rashford and Scott was always going to stay here. I don't know why you think they'll leave. Academy players, getting giga money and playing regularly for their original club.

Mandzukic did reject us and several other clubs :

https://www.skysports.com/football/...-mandzukic-available-from-juventus-in-january

The Croatia striker turned down a move to United, as well as Paris Saint-Germain and a club in Qatar in the summer, after being told he could leave the Serie A club.
Dybala also hinted at him rejecting us :

‘It wasn’t an easy summer,’ he told Corriere della Sera.

‘Hearing your name linked to every team and every place, where you don’t want to go, isn’t a nice thing.
We're not really that attracting to big players anymore. 2 or 3 years ago, everyone were believing United being shite is just few 2 or 3 odd years and with hiring a top tier manager they'll be back shorty. Now 7 years of us being shite and away from even challenging for big prizes, this belief has dried. No one believe we'll be back any time soon, and big players don't want to waste their prime years in a club like us any more.

Enigma_87

You know who

Our project won't be appealing for players of Sancho caliber, Mbappe or others that are considered the best players of their age group simply because we will face a lot more competition for their signature and they can find a more appealing project somewhere else.

Players won't sign for us based on glory 10 years ago. Why would they? They aren't idiots.

DDG signed because he won't get anywhere near as much money as he would here, especially with his stocks dropping off a cliff on the basis of the last 12-18 months.

James has no place in this conversation and Maguire/AWB at that price we faced little to no competition.

As for Rashford and McT - McT isn't a finished article and he already had a deal up to 2022, so why don't get a new bumper one for 2 more years? Rashford won't get close to the money he's getting here either.

passing-wind

Sorry but this is nonsense. I can't take any fans seriously when they use an analogy with Sir Alex and Solskjaer in the same sentance. It's an absolute disgrace, it's the same copy and paste argument which shows a lack of foresight and originality. If sentimentality is a conduit of a measure of success let's give Nicky Butt the job. How about Cantona or Beck's too their managerial experiences is about as useful as Solskjaer's at the size of this club.

Can't get relegated ? have you all gone crazy, we've taken 10 points out of a possible 27, we have won twice in 14 games ! If that's not relegation equivalent then tell me what is.

What is Ole trying to do
Expand upon your knowledge of what you think Ole is doing. I will challenge any fan on this forum to say what Ole is trying to do without contradicting themselves on behalf of what's actually being performed.

We are an attacking team yet have only won meaningful games when we have had less percentage of the ball in possession, Leicester 59%, Chelsea 54% ?

We are an attacking team that is more dangerous out of possession then with it ? We are an attacking team yet cannot penetrate the 18 yard box or create clear chances ? We are an attacking team yet don't have a philosophy or any phases of play which aid the capabilities of the team ?

Bringing through youth
Arguments out the window, how many competitive games has Greenwood started despite being described by the manager as the best finisher at the club ? he's really emphasising Masons development by playing the likes of Lingard as a false 9 ? With such a fringe midfield why hasn't Gomes or Garner been implemented ? Are these not the same players before Ole came in that we all would identify as being promising prospects to be nurtured ? Please anyone name one outfield player who has drastically improved under Solskjaer's 10 month tenure ?

Away from fans hypothesis that Ole is going to have a Cruyff like influence to galvanise the club back into a position of superiority, the reality is that this team is being spearheaded by a mass underachiever who's only climatic highlight in 10 years is winning a trophy in the Norwegian domestic league.

I've posted this article a dozen times

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/29251627

Simon Davies: "He presented a different vision for Cardiff compared with the defensive approach of his predecessor Malky Mackay, renowned for an unspectacular, yet effective style that gained the club promotion to the Premier League in 2013" sounds awfully similar to the Mourinho transition doesn't it.

Simon Davies: "He may have promised a more exciting style, but under Solskjaer the Bluebirds slipped into the Premier League's bottom three for the first time and never recovered, finishing bottom." This article was written in 2014 funny how history has a habit of repeating itself

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I genuinely doubt that for some fans. We are 7 points off top 4, 2 points off relegation zone, yet some of the top reds are clinging to him like there is no other manager in the world.

We are lowering the standards to relegation level in order to prove a point or something, I really have no idea..
Well, i cant answer for other people, but i honestly dont think many fans would like to see the club plunge even further just so we can have an ex player in charge. Of course there are other managers out there, and better ones too, but changing managers just like that is not exactly an easy process for a number of reasons
1. Who would we get?
2. If we get a new manager would it be a guaranteed long term benefit? Poch has never tried something like this, he took over a young, hungry and talented Spurs squad and he made them play really well together, but hes never been in charge of a project like this. Allegri does not speak English at all and has only won in a one team league. Hell i've even seen people mention Big Sam and that fat cnut Benitez.
3. Changing managers mid season is hardly ideal. Not for the players and certainly not for the new manager.
4. Placing all the blame on the manager is naive and/or willfully ignorant.

bondsname

I'm assuming those purposely conflating the rebuild with Ole himself so that they can pretend criticism of the latter is criticism of the former at least know they're doing this right?

It's sad that our fans have succumbed to such an obvious political trick. Convince people of an ambiguous long term plan and every failure will just be "part of the plan', at least until people wise up anyway.
Surely it will be in the Glazers interest that we start winning trophies again? Success for us means even more success for them. It makes no sense to buy a football club with the sole purpose to destroy it, and put a lot of effort into disguising it as "long term plan"? They are still earning money of course, but they are well aware they will earn less and less if things doesn't change for the better soon.

I think the board, and Woodward, have been incompetent and not realized the dedication it takes to rebuild a football team. There are no quick fixes.

Siorac

Doesn't seem to work out very well for AC Milan. Their past success seems to mean feck all for them.

Hawks2008

It's cute that people are still peddling the 'oh we'll just go get Sancho' as if it was a formality even though he will be fielding offers from the best teams in the world and we are on course for our worst finish ever. Last summer was the chance to get him but we fecked top 4 up and now it's a pipe dream.

Hopefully the club have some contingency options in place because we need a RW desperately and Sancho will be very difficult to pull off.

Enigma_87

You know who
Well, i cant answer for other people, but i honestly dont think many fans would like to see the club plunge even further just so we can have an ex player in charge. Of course there are other managers out there, and better ones too, but changing managers just like that is not exactly an easy process for a number of reasons
1. Who would we get?
2. If we get a new manager would it be a guaranteed long term benefit? Poch has never tried something like this, he took over a young, hungry and talented Spurs squad and he made them play really well together, but hes never been in charge of a project like this. Allegri does not speak English at all and has only won in a one team league. Hell i've even seen people mention Big Sam and that fat cnut Benitez.
3. Changing managers mid season is hardly ideal. Not for the players and certainly not for the new manager.
Truth is Ole gets too much leeway due to his feats as a player. I'd wager if that was Jose or Moyes during the same barren run 90% of the fans will want them gone ASAP, despite both (yes even Moyes) being better managers than Ole.

1. There are options. Depends on whether we're looking at interim till the end of the season and then permanent manager.
2. If we leave a manager who is clearly unfit for the job and out of his depth why do you reckon it would do us better in the long term? Players are regressing, results are regressing. Of course there is no guarantee for success, but at least you have a better chance with a better manager, despite the fear of him not being successful too...
3. It's not ideal, but sometimes you don't have much options. 4 in 22 is hardly ideal either and you can't keep that run continue. This is why there are so many managerial changes and this is not something new.
4. It's not only Ole, no one here is saying that he's the sole to blame. However it's clear that he is not capable to perform the role of United's manager at an adequate level so he has to go.

el3mel

1. Who would we get?
Ole himself got the job mid season and I doubt many thought it wasn't ideal back then.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Exactly - I think at the end of the day some just like to moan regardless of what is going on, even after a positive performance like Sunday I still see many spreading negativity, thats when you know they have made up their minds and its not even worth trying to discuss a different point of view
Because the performance on Sunday wasn't good and didn't convince any of us that Ole is the man to take us forward. 20% possession in the 2nd half we were hanging on for the draw at the end.

4 wins in 22 games is a dreadful record.