g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Ole Gunnar Solskjær needs more time and respect at Manchester United

fps

I agree with the article. I don't think Solskjaer's got it, but it's a rebuild and there will be highs and lows. We are struggling to score goals, but if you look at our midfield and attack with the injuries, it is incredibly weak. The likes of McTominay, James, Pereira, Chong, Rashford, Mata, Young and Lingard aren't what I'd expect to play like peak 2008-2011 Barcelona. Most of those are bang average players, and it shows. The likes of West Ham, Leicester, Bournemouth and the top 5 has much better players.
It is obvious that we've started from the defence, and its an area we've looked solid. With luck and work from our medical team(?) we'd have Martial, Pogba and Shaw back soon. Those are our three most-gifted players and we still have Wan-Bissaka to get back to full fitness. With them back in the team, we could then see what Solskjaer could do and maybe some improvement. The most important thing is to get to another transfer window and enter into the next stage of the rebuild. With better midfielders and attackers, maybe we'd improve going forward just as we've improved in defence with better defenders. I was wary of going into the new season with Solskjaer at the helm, but we've committed and we've got to ride the storm and exercise some patience. Patience is what I'm advocating.
I agree, next to sort out is a winger and a better midfield. Martial is great, Rashford can play left attacker and will improve, James provides wing cover. It's in the middle that the team is a shambles.

The_Midfielder

I agree, next to sort out is a winger and a better midfield. Martial is great, Rashford can play left attacker and will improve, James provides wing cover. It's in the middle that the team is a shambles.
A striker, right winger.. and may be 2 midfielders .. ( not another Fred)..
buy a LB and sell Shaw.. (A guy who is injured half a season is no use..)..
We might have a decent team..

Water Melon

Do we realize that we are extremely likely to be in relegation zone? Just take a look at our results this season and the fixtures ahead, take a deep breath and now ask yourselves how many points are we likely to collect in the next 5 games. In order to have even a slightest hope of surviving till new year, Ole needs to go on a winning streak asap.

Foxbatt

I really don't know why some people refuse to understand that we need better players than what we have here now.
If so why didn't Ole buy some midfield players who are better than what we have now and who are not so expensive that Woodward would refuse to buy?
This entire disaster is due to Ole.

Also why does anyone think he can coach and manage a top football club? A club that wants to win the PL and CL?

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He has managed to get Cardiff relegated.
He was unable to get another job in the EPL, so managed a small club in Norway.
He then got a chance to MUFC and has resided on our worst start for 30 years.
Moyes gets a lot of flack on here (and so he should), but Ole is worse!

So, please do explain, on what basis should he get more respect?

Edit, this guy said the same thing:
I feel like I need to keep repeating myself. I’m not talking about respecting his job, I have said a few times irrespective of what anyone thinks of his managerial ability or what he has done, he deserves more respect as a person, as some of the things I have seen about him are over the top on a personal level.

So I’m not referring to respect for him from a managerial perspective, specifically on a personal level.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I cannot believe the number of supporters spouting the “he needs time” line.

Its utter fecking bullshit. Time will not fix the biggest problem with Ole, that he is tactically dreadful and a terrible manager.

I cannot think of a single club in any division in world football that would keep Ole after our run of form since March.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Sacking Ole would be the worst thing we could possibly do..

Surely we ALL should realise this by now.

We have hired and fired great coaches - among the best there's ever been in Europe - and they couldn't get this right.

That's because it is impossible to run our football club, the way we want it run, whilst winning things straight away. IMPOSSIBLE!

Our fans need to calm t'feck down. Relax. Let one manager transition the squad and rebuild.

THERE IS NO QUICK FIX!

I swear there are people on here who have not considered how our last two managers did - even though they had won almost everything in the game before coming here - and I also swear there are people on here who don't realise how our only eras in our history (there are only two) that we dominated actually came to fruition. It took each manager 5-6 years to build this football club into a consistently winning club.

That's because our fans ask for too much.

We WANT attacking football.
We WANT quick football.
We WANT to achieve the above whilst also bleeding in youth.
We WANT our managers to have a youth team player in every match squad.
We WANT to have the best academy on the planet.
We WANT attack, attack, attack!

If you want all those things - which I do - then you have to have the patience to allow such a system to work; just like Sir Matt did, just like Sir Alex did. If we want to be this club - and not a Chelsea or a Real Madrid, for example (who chop and change managers every 2 seasons and who don't operate like we do as a club - and who don't bring through youth as part of their structure) - then you need to give a manager - whoever he is - the years it takes to run that kinda football club and make it work.

We all know this. Or we should given our recent and distant history.

If you want our club to win things how we win them, by using the list above, then you need to calm down and give Ole time and patience to get all of the cogs in the system YOU want to work (this is how we dominate as a club, not just win the odd title and cup here and there, like Chelsea).

But if you want our club run like Chelsea - where we hire and fire and buy and sell and win the odd thing and then finish 6th and then hire the next best manager out of Italy for no reason - fine.. go ahead and keep calling for managers to be sacked. But you'll only be doing it on Forums.. nobody at Old Trafford called for the head of any of our managers. Because they all know HOW they want our club to work.
In short. No!

It’s the opposite.
You don’t continue with incompetence in any sorts of business, ever, if you want to be successful.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Bar Bournemouth, all those teams are completely uninspiring teams.
Our front six in the last few games have had Rashford, James, Pereira, McTominay, Lingard and a washed up Mata, how exactly are they better than their counterparts at the clubs you mentioned? We've a very weak squad and our three most gifted players has been injured and in and out of the team. We are light on back-ups too.
I think what womp wants to say is that even with inferior players all PL teams except maybe Newcastle have a definite way of playing. The problem is we don't. We've tried the high pressing, playing it out from the back, possession, counter attacking and other systems that I just can't work out what they are but nothing worked so now it seems like it's a case of just go out there lads and see what happens.

A good manager can work with what he's got, a great manager can win titles as SAF proved in his last title win. Unfortunately Ole isn't either. You can't tell me even with injuries we have a more inferior squad to teams like Norwich, Palace, Bournmouth or Brighton? You definitely can't tell me we have a more inferior squad than Newcastle, Rochdale or AZ? Maybe we should just bring in Steve Bruce who was tactically better than Ole or even better the Rochdale manager who came to OT with a plan and was just a whisker away from getting something.

Ole can't even get a plan A going which is the minimal requirement for any manager in any league in the world. How is he going to cope when he has to revert to plans B and C which he will need to tweak games that aren't going according to plan or in Europe or against the bigger teams? Answer. He won't.

TrueRed79

Rebuild, give him time, show him respect, blah blah blah. Sorry but if you just look at statistics, by the way you can't hide behind FACTS, we are slipping further and further down the table. Our record since he was permanently appointed is ABSOLUTELY ABYSMAL. There's a certain level of standard, rebuild or not that you simply cannot fail to reach and Ole is below that. You earn respect as a manager and player. He earned it as a player but has earned nothing as a manager. I will never slag him off or name call but he needs to be shown the door if results don't improve over the next few weeks.

GlasgowCeltic

I just think if the new strategy of “give youth a chance” is historic club policy in what way does it rely on Ole being manager?

Greck

We have hired and fired great coaches - among the best there's ever been in Europe - and they couldn't get this right.

That's because it is impossible to run our football club, the way we want it run, whilst winning things straight away. IMPOSSIBLE!

Our fans need to calm t'feck down. Relax. Let one manager transition the squad and rebuild.

THERE IS NO QUICK FIX!

I swear there are people on here who have not considered how our last two managers did - even though they had won almost everything in the game before coming here - and I also swear there are people on here who don't realise how our only eras in our history (there are only two) that we dominated actually came to fruition. It took each manager 5-6 years to build this football club into a consistently winning club.

We WANT quick football.

If you want all those things - which I do - then you have to have the patience to allow such a system to work; just like Sir Matt did, just like Sir Alex did. If we want to be this club - and not a Chelsea or a Real Madrid, for example (who chop and change managers every 2 seasons and who don't operate like we do as a club - and who don't bring through youth as part of their structure) - then you need to give a manager - whoever he is - the years it takes to run that kinda football club and make it work.

If you want our club to win things how we win them, by using the list above, then you need to calm down and give Ole time and patience to get all of the cogs in the system YOU want to work (this is how we dominate as a club, not just win the odd title and cup here and there, like Chelsea).

But if you want our club run like Chelsea - where we hire and fire and buy and sell and win the odd thing and then finish 6th and then hire the next best manager out of Italy for no reason - fine.. go ahead and keep calling for managers to be sacked. But you'll only be doing it on Forums.. nobody at Old Trafford called for the head of any of our managers. Because they all know HOW they want our club to work.
Ole has a vision but it doesn't mean he has the acumen to execute it. You're only giving him credit for having a vision while ignoring the concerns that he doesn't have ability to execute it. Even Neville had a vision at Valencia, they all do, that in itself doesn't earn them 3 years.

We need someone who actually knows what he's doing to be in charge of the rebuild. I don't think you know how detrimental it would be to give him 3 years and in 2022 just realise that he isn't a good coach. You guys asking for 3 years are going solely off of emotion not logic. You don't give someone 3 years and a couple 100 million when you're still on the fence about his true level

TsuWave

So now sacking a shithouse manager is the worst possible thing we could do, and we gotta stick with him for around 5-6 years in the hopes that he will maybe perhaps possibly replicate the success of two outliers and generational managers like Busby and Ferguson? :lol:

Foxbatt

Does anyone realise that depending on the results today and if we don't beat Liverpool we are already in the dog fight of the relegation zone. We would be just above it and if Newcastle spring a surprise we will be in the relegation zone if we don't win tomorrow. It's a must win game.

Mcking

I think what womp wants to say is that even with inferior players all PL teams except maybe Newcastle have a definite way of playing. The problem is we don't. We've tried the high pressing, playing it out from the back, possession, counter attacking and other systems that I just can't work out what they are but nothing worked so now it seems like it's a case of just go out there lads and see what happens.

A good manager can work with what he's got, a great manager can win titles as SAF proved in his last title win. Unfortunately Ole isn't either. You can't tell me even with injuries we have a more inferior squad to teams like Norwich, Palace, Bournmouth or Brighton? You definitely can't tell me we have a more inferior squad than Newcastle, Rochdale or AZ? Maybe we should just bring in Steve Bruce who was tactically better than Ole or even better the Rochdale manager who came to OT with a plan and was just a whisker away from getting something.

Ole can't even get a plan A going which is the minimal requirement for any manager in any league in the world. How is he going to cope when he has to revert to plans B and C which he will need to tweak games that aren't going according to plan or in Europe or against the bigger teams? Answer. He won't.
I didn't say we have an inferior squad. Factor in the injuries we've had this season, and YES, our squad isn't much better than that of Brighton, Newcastle and Palace in terms of quality. Norwich got a win against City, but they are soft as feck.
Zaha, Almiron, Maupay, James, Gross, Ayew, Fred, Saint-Maximin, Townsend, Pereira, Schlupp, Milivojevic, Rashford, Joelinton, McTominay, McArthur, Longstaff, Lingard, Mooy, Shelvey, Mata. All those players are of similar quality and the best ones doesn't play for us.

Untd55

THERE IS NO QUICK FIX!

We WANT quick football.

What is with this myth that you have to turn to absolute crap to be able to get better? Why the hell does Solskjaer need to make us worse in order to make us better? It is complete and utter rubbish. He has made us worse, end of story. He has us on the verge of the relegation zone, for goodness sake. People's expectations have seriously gone downhill since Mourinho, who people wanted out after finishing second and getting knocked out by Sevilla in the Champion's League. Now we should be patient with one of the worst managers in our history.

What has Solskjaer shown to make you believe he can make the team better? The team has been getting worse and worse. Some people say because the transfer window was good, but was it really? What improvement have we seen on the pitch to evidence this? We have still conceded a goal per game on average and have only won 4 and drawn 5 of the last 17 Premier League games. This season it is 2 wins and 3 draws in 8, which is shocking and shows that nothing is improving.

The football on the pitch is diabolical. There is no teamwork or play patterns, which should have been introduced in the time that Solskjaer has had.

The bolded bit is rubbish. Sarri was sacked and Lampard has come in and has Chelsea playing great football straight away. That is what we should be seeing, not this dross that Solskjaer is serving up. Just because two managers out of the 50 or so we have had in United's history have been successful does not mean that Solskjaer will do it. Solskjaer has shown nothing to give him time; Ferguson had shown things prior to joining United at Aberdeen. They are not comparable.

Other people are saying what is the point of sacking Solskjaer. Well, to stop us from getting relegated for starters. People are saying this is impossible, but have you been watching the games? It clearly is not impossible. We got easily beaten by a West Ham team that has won 1 (United) in 6. Newcastle slapped us around, as well.

Last edited:

Foxbatt

I didn't say we have an inferior squad. Factor in the injuries we've had this season, and YES, our squad isn't much better than that of Brighton, Newcastle and Palace in terms of quality. Norwich got a win against City, but they are soft as feck.
Zaha, Almiron, Maupay, James, Gross, Ayew, Fred, Saint-Maximin, Townsend, Pereira, Schlupp, Milivojevic, Rashford, Joelinton, McTominay, McArthur, Longstaff, Lingard, Mooy, Shelvey, Mata. All those players are of similar quality and the best ones doesn't play for us.
Whose fault is that they don't play for us? Not Woodward he says because it's the manager who decides on the players he says. Ole thinks world class players are going to come to United. Sorry to say he is delusional if he thinks like that.

izzydiggler

If you can look at the current situation and think that given time it’s going to result in us challenging at the top again, I’d say it’s naive at best, deluded at worst.

People mention comparisons with Klopp but it’s more like Alan Shearer for me - someone who was picked to bring positivity and appease fans, who shouldn’t have been anywhere close to a job he was way out of his depth for. If Newcastle/Shearer said it was a big plan and patience would result in greatness, we’d all piss ourselves laughing...which is what the football world is doing to us now.

I think people need to open their eyes and look at what’s happening, rather than swallowing all the PR guff and empty promises. We’re clearly on a negative gradient and absolutely miles off being a top club on the field.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
That's some ridiculous logic there and I will absolutely reject this bullshit- any fan who actively hates Ole should feck off and support a different club as far as I'm concerned.
Nothing to do with sentiment, it's about recognising that he has been given a massive clean up job to fix the mess left by years of bad decisions and it won't be fixed overnight.
Its your logic that doesn't make sense. The whole "support another club" thingy doesn't even warrant a reply. Also, not aware that "clean up jobs" require nearly 70mil spending and Languishing at 13th in the table.. He is directly responsible for that, and hate and glory comes with the job, and particularly this job. For all his "culture" and "lads are working hard" just not yielding any results. The sooner he walks, the better quicker and easier will it be a proper experienced manager to steady the ship. Sorry bro, impressive player, 20 years ago.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Fully agree. Way to much short-term reactionism here. Too many people here only know the Fergie years, but he's gone now and we need to rebuild not just the team but the entire club as well.
This is not the bloody 1990s and other managers have literally taken single-digit number of games to make an impact. Posts and opinions like this will make Liverpool's dry spell of 30 years without a title look like a mere moment.
Agreed 100%.
All other teams change their managers and they get decent results within weeks. In fact, Jose did just that.
When it comes to Moyes and Ole (both 'low grade managers', not good enough to manage a top club) are being given a free ride.
If Jose or LVG had us in 12th place, would people be talking about needing to rebuild the entire club and it will take several years?

Many clubs refresh their squads - I believe Real Madrid were in this position last year. This Summer they spent big and look where they are in the table (2nd, with a game in hand, which if they win will take them top).
The long term rebuild argument needs to stop. It's nonsense.
Even the much criticised Jose, got us 2 trophies in his first year and 2nd place in his 2nd. He didn't need 3 years of mediocrity.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
That's some ridiculous logic there and I will absolutely reject this bullshit- any fan who actively hates Ole should feck off and support a different club as far as I'm concerned.
Nothing to do with sentiment, it's about recognising that he has been given a massive clean up job to fix the mess left by years of bad decisions and it won't be fixed overnight.
That is exactly the kind of thing which would've been said about D.Moyes, when he was stinking up this place.
I called it even before the season started that this guy was not fit to manage such a big club.
After he got fired, he got a job in Spain (got fired, quickly), then took a club in the EPL to relegation (was it Sunderland?).

The truth is that there simply is not an excuse to be in 12th place after 8 games.
Moyes was bad, but Ole is worse (breaking negative records which even Moyes did not break).

Kappa123

Should we have given David Moyes more time as well? Maybe we should have given him a few more transfer windows and doubled his contract to 2030 since we always stand behind our manager

Funny how the "sacking clubs" like madrid can win 3 CLs in a row though...

Last edited by a moderator:

MisterLupus

That is exactly the kind of thing which would've been said about D.Moyes, when he was stinking up this place.
I called it even before the season started that this guy was not fit to manage such a big club.
After he got fired, he got a job in Spain (got fired, quickly), then took a club in the EPL to relegation (was it Sunderland?).

The truth is that there simply is not an excuse to be in 12th place after 8 games.
Moyes was bad, but Ole is worse (breaking negative records which even Moyes did not break).
You can't compare what Moyes inherited to what Ole's had to wrap his head around. Not even the slightest.

LJJT

I think we all need to chill out and reassess all these opinions in the early New Year. There’s a lot of reasons why the start to this season has been poor, many are not Oles fault, some are. Let’s judge how well we are doing in the New Year. Ole needs time, he needs to be afforded that. He’s been dealt the harshest cards of all post Fergie managers then had a few slices of bad luck with injuries compounding the issue. Have faith and support the team/manager

momo83

Massive Snowflake

THERE IS NO QUICK FIX!

We WANT quick football.

What’s your reason for believing that if Ole stays for 3 years he will be successful? What makes you think that he will be able to
1) Coach and develop the young talent that he has and will buy, and turn them into world class players.
2) Develop a winning style of play
3) Make game changing in play decisions
4) motivate and get 110% out of the squad.

People have forgotten that the art of great management is making whole product that’s better then the sums of its parts. Liverpool are the perfect example... individually when signed most of their players didn’t even make headlines.

BlueHaze

THERE IS NO QUICK FIX!

We WANT quick football.

I never knew aiming for top 4 finish equals winning things straight away but thanks for letting me know. Please spare me the "he needs more time" bs. By tommorrow we'll likely be 8 points off 4th in fecking October with like 5 wins in the last 25 or some shit like that. He needs to get sacked with immediate effect. Woodward should have been sacked 5 years ago.

thejtrain

Nope, he deserves neither. He's respected enough, I guess; it's not like he's been treated like Van Gaal/Mourinho even, who, I think, were fairly well respected by our match-going fans, for the most part.

fergiesarmy1

Nope, he deserves neither. He's respected enough, I guess; it's not like he's been treated like Van Gaal/Mourinho even, who, I think, were fairly well respected by our match-going fans, for the most part.
Don’t recall anyone calling those 2 a shithouse like the poster above or worse as some of our “fans” have been doing inside 9 months of being in charge.

Mainoldo

I think the current league table says it all.

He’s also repeatedly said this squad is ‘his’ idea.

thejtrain

Don’t recall anyone calling those 2 a shithouse like the poster above or worse as some of our “fans” have been doing inside 9 months of being in charge.
Really? Mourinho got called all names by the end of his stint here. Seriously, people seem to have such short memories.

fergiesarmy1

You really need someone to explain to you why Mourinho was treated better inside the first 9 months?
You really need someone to explain to you why a united fan calling Ole a shithouse is a disgrace?