Ole Gunnar Solskjær | Permanent manager

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Samid, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Oct 21, 2019

Forevergiggs1 Full Member

Supports:
    United
    Blame it on an earthquake or Brexit or that you lost your concentration because 20 nude lady cyclists just rode by but it looks like you're starting to lose your balance sitting on that fence.
  2. Oct 21, 2019

Annihilate Now! ...or later, I'm not fussy Scout

Nah I'm happy on my fence.

Whats the point in coming off it, as either side will just result in stepping in the same pile of shit that surrounds the fence and will continue to do so until the fella in charge of maintaining the land is booted out.
  3. Oct 21, 2019

Leftback99 Full Member

Probably around the same as me. I know things aren't perfect but not convinced we have a better option. Also any perceived weakness is blown out of proportion on here.
  4. Oct 21, 2019

Grande Full Member

On a general note, I’ll say that if this present Liverpool starts a half hell bent on taking it to the opposition, it’s a damn good team that isn’t pegged back. We aren’t a damn good team at the moment, so that does not equate to giving up initiative, rather to losing it.

Specifically, they changed their tactics in the second half (in itself a nod to the effectiveness of our first half tactics). Klopp put Henderson wide and sent Origi up top to tie up all three of our defenders, Firmino falling behind/between the lines to orchestrate play, and Hendo helping Arnold into crossing positions more often. This worked in order to peg us back, creating a bit of unstructure between our defensive lines, and we struggled to play out as well.

Solskjær then made a change: From 3-4-3 to 3-5-2 with McTominay as an anvhor to pick up Firmino. This stabilized matters, and Liverpool didn’t create anything. Some people’s claim that playing low against Liverpool is inviting trouble is nonsensical. That is what most often works against Klopps teams. It’s ‘taking it to the opposition’ that mostly ends in tears. But you have to lay low well - preventing Robertson and Arnold hitting crosses without pressure and high in the field. United managed just that with a central three giving two wide fullbacks safety to oush up against R and A.

The tactics worked in getting lead, and keeping the best team in the league mostly harmless. Liverpool actually scoring was in spite of the tactics: Wan Bissaka forgetting his position (yes, he is young, raw and still positionally inconsistent) and Rojo doing what Rojo does that makes him 6th choice of our CBs (7th when counting Smalling).
  5. Oct 21, 2019

Supports:
    United
    I just hope that you live in a warm country and you have a lot of provisions ready because unfortunately you could be sitting on that fence for a very long time. Just make you you pack plenty of pile cream with your provisions.
  6. Oct 21, 2019

JustAGuest New Member

Another one is the idea that he's tactically clueless. I'll give him credit for our strong defence this season (bar a few individual errors which you can hardly blame the manager for). Yesterday's game also shows his flexibility in taking a different tactical approach when needed, and successfully so.

The obvious issue is that we are far from creating enough chances at the moment. Let's see how this improves with Pogba and Martial coming back.
  7. Oct 21, 2019

blue blue Full Member

Supports:
    chelsea
    To be fair neither were Utd.
  8. Oct 21, 2019

blue blue Full Member

Supports:
    chelsea
    Maybe if you shout louder?

On the other hand maybe he's his own man and fully aware the crowd are not qualified to give advice. Especially to a team that is just about to break Liverpool's 100% start to the season.
  9. Oct 21, 2019

dwd Saturday Night Spies

Was saying the same thing yesterday. Their fullbacks had all the time in the world. TAA was the one. Can't believe how much time he had on the ball no matter where he was on the pitch.
  10. Oct 21, 2019

And yet that's where their goal came from... so you know, might have been a good thing to do something about it?
  11. Oct 21, 2019

blue blue Full Member

Supports:
    chelsea
    I hear what you're saying but its not realistic to expect a manager to take advice from a bunch of guys shouting from the stands.
  12. Oct 21, 2019

Rory 7 Full Member

Not in the first half surely? I thought the way Ole had us set up first half totally negated their full-backs. If anything our first half set-up should be a template for the rest of the league on how to stop Liverpool. I think our own players just went in on themselves second half. That wasn't a tactical error - more a mindset. Not sure what or who Ole could have brought off the bench to reverse that and therein lies our problem - lack of depth.
  13. Oct 21, 2019

dwd Saturday Night Spies

Yes, both halves. I was sat directly in line with him in the first half and he constantly had acres.
  14. Oct 21, 2019

Rory 7 Full Member

Don't agree. First half our set-up kept him occupied in his own half. I've no problem him having space on the ball in his own half.
  15. Oct 21, 2019

Supports:
    United
    He shouldn't be taking advice from the stands but his own eyes should tell him these players should be closed down. Maybe he thought we could deal with aerial crosses but ultimately it was from that position we're we conceded. Could AWB have closed him down quicker? Maybe but all game Robertson and TAA had too much time and you can't allow players of their crossing ability that luxury.
  16. Oct 21, 2019

el3mel Full Member

Not really. Not every team can execute a defensive plan with counter pressing up front without fecking up some times during the game, otherwise someone would have stopped them earlier or during previous season. Just knowing how to stop them isn't enough.

We did well today and had 1 moment we lost concentration in and we conceded, so imagine a small team trying to do that. They'll have more feck ups during the game.
  17. Oct 21, 2019

dwd Saturday Night Spies

Were you there? I know what I saw. His line of runs with directly level in front of my face. He wasn't pressed at all no matter where he received the ball. And then it weirdly switched to Robertson in the second half. Was doing my head in.
  18. Oct 21, 2019

Rory 7 Full Member

yep was there. Think you are being hard on us.
  19. Oct 21, 2019

I'm not saying he should take advice from the stand, I'm saying if can spot it - in my opinion - he should be able to as well.

Not that he should take advice from me either - but I mean, if we can't make criticisms then what are any of us doing here?
  20. Oct 21, 2019

sunama Baghdad Bob

:lol:
  21. Oct 21, 2019

dwd Saturday Night Spies

Maybe a tad harsh yes seen as we don't have the players to press them anyway but I was still surprised how much time we allowed both fullbacks (who are dangerous anyway) to have and it only increased as the game went on and nothing was done to prevent it.
  22. Oct 21, 2019

Fosu-Mens Full Member

Correct setup for us yesterday. An approach which everybody on here correctly assumed was our only approach to get points: Sit low and counter.
    Problem is that we will not be able to do this against weaker teams. So this point against a good Liverpool is in no way an indication that we can win against Norwich.
  23. Oct 21, 2019

Samid follows Pogue around, fixing his images

Actually this approach would be perfect vs Norwich. They are super naive and we would slice them open on the counter. But we're too proud to play like that vs Norwich.
  24. Oct 21, 2019

Schmeichel's Cartwheel Full Member

Is Ole a misunderstood genius?

He was world class yesterday and completely out tactic'd the scouse.

Ole made The Kloppinator look like Kindergarten Klopp.
  25. Oct 21, 2019

Fosu-Mens Full Member

We should given that OGS talked about the importance of results short term, and this Mourinhoesque approach is the most likely way for us to get points. We lost to Newcastle and will struggle against any team that parks the bus against us. If Norwich plays like they did against City we are in trouble. If they have a similar approach as they did against Liverpool we should have a good chance.
  26. Oct 21, 2019

Tom Van Persie No relation

I must've been watching a different game to a lot of people on here. Yes he set us up well at the start but 2nd half was shite and once again we lost a lead. His in game management is poor and Klopp out thought him with the changes. We were hanging on for that draw at the end.
  27. Oct 21, 2019

Tom Van Persie No relation

4 wins in 22 since that PSG game...
  28. Oct 21, 2019

Van Piorsing Lost his light sabre

He'll probably get the sack, then Allegri will arrive and say exactly the same thing Ole did... need more players, need more time etc.
  29. Oct 21, 2019

SteveW Full Member

The reality is we don't know yet. I've seen plenty of evidence that he's good tactically but it's continually undermined by the weakness of the players he's having to select. Realistically we had 4 players on the pitch against Liverpool who had no business being there. That number has been as high as 5 or 6 at times this season. Managing to carry that many players is no easy task. He set up the team perfectly yesterday but at the end of the day it was two of these bad players (Rojo and Young) that ended up costing us the win.

In a lot of the games we've been asking the likes of Fred, Matic, Mata, Lingard, Periera to run the game and break teams down. It simply isn't realistic. They don't have it in them and haven't for a long before Ole came to the club.
  30. Oct 21, 2019

Godfather Full Member

By out tacticed you mean sit back until we concede? He sure did that a lot this season.
  31. Oct 21, 2019

rotherham_red Full Member

Spot on. But watch it get ignored by the agenda vultures...
  32. Oct 21, 2019

Raw Full Member

Jesus
  33. Oct 21, 2019

Cassidy No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

I think this crumbles against any team that plays a low block. Agree with the rest though.
    Tactically he seems good at setting up the team to exploit space and counter, not seen much in relation to breaking teams down.
  34. Oct 21, 2019

Majima Full Member

@7.15. Mourinho on Ole's decision to not bring in a replacement striker:

The fact that there's talk of us bringing Mandžukić (or panic buying any experienced striker) in January, when he was available in the summer, says it all about Ole's summer 'planning'.
  35. Oct 21, 2019

7even Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron

I agree with the bolded part. The quality of our squad is depressing, to put it mildly. You pin point AWB and Rojo but I think the worst of them all was IMO Lindelöf. He’s a liability and I honestly think Tuanzebe is a better long term option.

Ole needs luck to survive. Pogba and Martial back on form ASAP. A couple of more wins before Christmas so he has time to breathe. In January a dm or a creative midfielder is a must. Everybody wants a striker but we must first learn to control games, create enough chances, then we can focus on a striker.

The game against Liverpool gave me hopes. I’m not sure this will be enough to install long term confidence in the team but maybe it’s a small step forward to better performances.
  36. Oct 21, 2019

Enigma_87 You know who

Well he's spot on.
  37. Oct 21, 2019

SteveJ all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian Scout

Apart from the gratuitously snide 'hiding' bit. Whether Ole is hiding or not, it's a typically bitter comment from poor old Jose who never gets any credit ever.
  38. Oct 21, 2019

blue blue Full Member

Supports:
    chelsea
    What about Giroud in the Christmas window? He's hardly playing at Chelsea and Batshuayi is in front of him. £20m?
  39. Oct 21, 2019

Lynty Full Member

This narrative of him being clueless is lazy criticism. I trust the judgement of someone who's lived and breathed professional football for 30 years over armchair tacticians who are demanding Angel Gomes start in every prematch thread.

Moyes philosophy was to get to the line and cross. He removed vital back room staff, failed to motivate his team with bizarre training routines and poor man management, and chased targets who were either unobtainable or unneeded, sometimes both. Could we describe him as clueless. I dont think so. Old fashioned, unprepared and maybe ill advised, but a man with his career isn't clueless on how to manage a football club.

LVG, to his credit turned us in the right direction but didn't back up his possession orientated philosophy with the right signings. In fact, some of his signings directly contradicted the method he wanted to implement and stifled our progress into becoming a possesion based team.

Jose never really settled on a philosophy, as is his pragmatic way. But the football was often dull and our most memorable tactics where using Fellaini to either bully back posters or break up the play on the edge of our area to shutdown a game. His downfall was poor man management, (which almost resulted in squad mutiny) and attempting to force questionable short sighted transfer business.

In comparison, Ole and his staff do have a method of playing despite what 'armchair tacticians' say. He has backed up this method with his transfer business and team selections. And he has maintained the support of the his staff and sqaud despite a poor run in form.

He's not a master tactician, and that's not what we need at the moment. We just need someone to take the wheel and steer us in the right direction. I'm still convinced hes on track to do that and I'm genuinely looking forward to our full strength squad returning. We can replace him with a real tactician later down the line
  40. Oct 21, 2019

Majima Full Member

He's right though. Ole is hiding behind the kids. It's a cop out. By Ole leaving the squad so short of experience in the summer, he's essentially saying results right now don't matter. Why are there serious links of us panic buying Mandžukić or an experienced striker in January then? He was available in the summer but we rejected him. Oh that's right, because Ole is in danger of losing his job.

People love to defend Ole's decision of allowing most of the experienced players leave without being replaced, thus putting his faith in kids by pointing to SAF putting all his faith in Rooney & Ronaldo, letting RVN go etc, (Neville tried to use that very point in the video above).

But the fact of the matter is, SAF never put himself in a position where he solely relied on kids. That season in 2006/07, he brought in 33 year old Solskjaer & 36 year old Larsson. I'm sure he had an idea about what Jose was talking about.

We also still had 28 year old Saha & 25 year old Smith. Look at the rest of that squad; 36 VDS, 33 Giggs, 32 Scholes, 31 Neville, 28 Heinze & Ferdinand, 25 year old Park, Carrick & Evra. Absolute ton's of experience still.

That's how you develop young talents whilst not dropping your standards.
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019