Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

crossy1686

career ending
This is a very good point, and something that concerns me about Ole. Or rather, about those responsible for hiring and firing.

If Ole gets made permanent and then hits a sticky patch, I can see Ed and the Board convincing themselves that he wasn't really their choice, that they were bounced into appointing him on a wave of populist emotion, and consequently not giving him the same backing that they would do with a manager in whom they had a greater stake.

I'm pretty certain Di Matteo isn't the only ex-interim to have been unceremoniously dumped at the first hint of trouble, regardless of the circumstances.
Not while Fergie's around and we've never been quick to fire a manager post Fergie. They're not going to change that approach for one of our own and a club legend, they're unpopular enough as it is.

Rest assured that if Solskjaer gets the boot, it will be because he deserved it.

crossy1686

career ending
I've always thought Ince has been jealous of our 1999 team. He wanted one of his mates like Steve Bruce to get the job over Ole because apparently Bruce understands United more. :confused:
I got that vibe as well. Seems like he holds some sort of grudge, good chance someone in that team contributed to his departure. People like to blame others instead of reflecting on their behaviour and what they could have done differently, like not bring a gun to training...

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Him saying he's preparing this bunch of kids for first team footy next season is the cherry on top. He's playing a type of football i love and has brought back such a feel good atmosphere. I'm looking forward to watching us play again. All for him as permanent manager now.

Sylar

Him saying he's preparing this bunch of kids for first team footy next season is the cherry on top. He's playing a type of football i love and has brought back such a feel good atmosphere. I'm looking forward to watching us play again. All for him as permanent manager now.
And he said its for our future whether its with him (Ole) or not.

Its been so long since ive been looking forward to the next match, the next big game, and even the next season all at the same time.

Tony247

Let me tell you about Di Matteo.

If any interim manager, ANY, if he wins CL then with all his strengths and weaknesses he deserves a chance next year at the same club. If that turns out to be a bad choice, then so be it, SO BE IT. Sheer bad luck and move on. But that bad luck cannot be, absolutely CANNOT BE a barometer to reflect upon all the interim managers who are doing a great job at club in their given time. That is so very unfair comparison.

Red Devil Rising

Let me tell you about Di Matteo.

If any interim manager, ANY, if he wins CL then with all his strengths and weaknesses he deserves a chance next year at the same club. If that turns out to be a bad choice, then so be it, SO BE IT. Sheer bad luck and move on. But that bad luck cannot be, absolutely CANNOT BE a barometer to reflect upon all the interim managers who are doing a great job at club in their given time. That is so very unfair comparison.
:lol: so passive aggressive

Canagel

What i like is that hes tactician. Hes intention is always to hurt the other team but the way he goes about it tactically varies from team to team. Against big teams so far he's not been willing to risk it all but he found the correct balance between solidity in defense and still maintaining threat . This mentality to focus on what were doing has in turn made our defense better - look at how the CD improved in 7 matches after hovering at the minus for half a season .

Revaulx

Not while Fergie's around and we've never been quick to fire a manager post Fergie. They're not going to change that approach for one of our own and a club legend, they're unpopular enough as it is.

Rest assured that if Solskjaer gets the boot, it will be because he deserved it.
Let's hope you're right. The people who run football clubs (NOT just us) aren't known for their wisdom or circumspection though :nervous:

sunama

Baghdad Bob
He said Phelan was a great guy to have around but he did not have a lot to do with tactics and training. He gave him a lot of credit for man management though as he would talk to players and help them if something was not right. He always has a smile on his face and a joke to share. Phelan sounds like one of the nicest persons you could meet and this will no doubt have a positive effect on the players.
Jose should've hired Phelan. Jose would be the miserable guy who comes up with the tactics and if there are any disgruntled players, Phelan could handle them and relay the information to Jose.
Having someone like Phelan around could definitely lighten up the atmosphere and make training and playing much more fun.

Whatever the case, I am now leaning towards giving Solkjaer the job, simply because he has been unbelievable and for all the bad luck we have had in the last few years, he is getting it all the luck, back. Not only that, but Poch seems allergic to winning trophies. His speciality seems to be top 4 and we don't want someone like that. Solkjaer is someone who will attempt to win all trophies and not treat top 4, as the ultimate trophy.

Solkjaer, Phelan, Carrick, McKenna - I think we have found the team which can get the most out of our players. I'd sign them all up for next season.

crossy1686

career ending
Let's hope you're right. The people who run football clubs (NOT just us) aren't known for their wisdom or circumspection though :nervous:
As much as we've been frustrated with the board in recent years, no one can really accuse them of not giving the manager a chance and until the summer, you can't really say they haven't backed a manager. I believe Solskjaer will be the next permanent manger, not only because he's brilliant but also because his £8m release clause is is a way better deal than the £40m release clause for Pochettino.

My only concern in the summer is that we don't strengthen as much as we should do because Solskjaer's been talking up the youth players so much. It's easy to throw youth players in and talk about giving everyone a chance when you're on a 6 month contract, it's much harder to do when you're expected to win things.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Starting to wonder if perhaps it wouldn't be so stupid to give him the full time gig.

Things like how he didn't see and counter Poch' midfield move in the second half against Spurs worries me a bit though.

Perhaps Solskjær as manager, and then we bring in some absolute a-grade defensive coach to help us with defence and transitions.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
I got that vibe as well. Seems like he holds some sort of grudge, good chance someone in that team contributed to his departure. People like to blame others instead of reflecting on their behaviour and what they could have done differently, like not bring a gun to training...
Huh?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Starting to wonder if perhaps it wouldn't be so stupid to give him the full time gig.

Things like how he didn't see and counter Poch' midfield move in the second half against Spurs worries me a bit though.

Perhaps Solskjær as manager, and then we bring in some absolute a-grade defensive coach to help us with defence and transitions.
So does Solskjaer have to be literally perfect all season to even be considered while everything gets ignored for the manager he beat in their own backyard, whose teams season is already effectively over, who has never won a trophy and never been all that close either, etc.

Its not equal expectations and not a fair judgement. Dropping points here and there, having some games whers you have to grind out, that will all happen and is to be expected. Ole doesnt have to win every game and perform miracles to get the job. He should get it if he manages to keep the same mentality throughout the squad and show continual improvement and give us further hope next season. Doesnt matter if he misses out on top 4 or loses to PSG. Put Pochettino in charge 6 weeks ago and he would not have matched what Solskjaer has done. Not a chance IMO.

StrettyEnder07

Only one man for the job now in my opinion, he is everything we could want in a United manager, pay Molde whatever they need to be paid, same with Phelan at his club in Oz.

Decent DOF in ASAP to get started on the recruitment, and go from there, no interest now in Poch and even less in anyone such as Zidane, Simone, Blanc. Play our cards right here and Ole could be here for a decent period of time.

Moriarty

Still too early to make a firm decision but Ole has done himself no harm at all. He's made United a happy ship again which is a huge plus. I would hope that the club has already settled on the next managerial choice and that negotiations are already under way. We can't afford another Mourinho so the planning has to be spot-on. Ole has to be in the reckoning though.

JohnnyKills

Still too early to make a firm decision but Ole has done himself no harm at all. He's made United a happy ship again which is a huge plus. I would hope that the club has already settled on the next managerial choice and that negotiations are already under way. We can't afford another Mourinho so the planning has to be spot-on. Ole has to be in the reckoning though.
Yep, way too early. Absolutely no need to decide anything now.

I'm warming to the idea myself but we've got four months to decide this. Let's use that time to make sure we get the decision right.

Valencia Shin Crosses

So does Solskjaer have to be literally perfect all season to even be considered while everything gets ignored for the manager he beat in their own backyard, whose teams season is already effectively over, who has never won a trophy and never been all that close either, etc.

Its not equal expectations and not a fair judgement. Dropping points here and there, having some games whers you have to grind out, that will all happen and is to be expected. Ole doesnt have to win every game and perform miracles to get the job. He should get it if he manages to keep the same mentality throughout the squad and show continual improvement and give us further hope next season. Doesnt matter if he misses out on top 4 or loses to PSG. Put Pochettino in charge 6 weeks ago and he would not have matched what Solskjaer has done. Not a chance IMO.
Yeah this has been driving me crazy as well. By the sound of some on here, Ole has to be perfect to even get a look at the job. But fecking Poch can't do anything wrong.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Summed it up lovely for the way I'm feeling.

shaky

It's too early to make a firm decision but you still hope the club has already settled on the next managerial choice??

Jericholyte2

It's sensational what he is doing.. but we have to wait. Chelsea went 18 games unbeaten.. Arsenal won 11 in a row, and went 22 games unbeaten. So let's just see how it all goes.

But I do get the impression he is acutely aware of all that is going on around him, and he is thinking ahead....
Arsenal went on that unbeaten run that hid a lot of frailties that have recently been pounced on and turned into defeats. Many times they had last minute winners or equalisers that pundits pointed to as character, rather than the defensive weaknesses coming up again.

Whilst you could argue some points are yet to be truly targeted by a Barca, Real, Bayern, PSG, this is a very different type of run we’re on compared to Emery’s at the start of the season.

Fitchett

This is a very good point, and something that concerns me about Ole. Or rather, about those responsible for hiring and firing.

If Ole gets made permanent and then hits a sticky patch, I can see Ed and the Board convincing themselves that he wasn't really their choice, that they were bounced into appointing him on a wave of populist emotion, and consequently not giving him the same backing that they would do with a manager in whom they had a greater stake.

I'm pretty certain Di Matteo isn't the only ex-interim to have been unceremoniously dumped at the first hint of trouble, regardless of the circumstances.
Every Chelsea manager is an interim manager though

Fitchett

Paul Ince brought an air rifle to training once, walked in the changing rooms and pointed it at everyone, including Fergie (I think). Also told all the youth players to refer to him as 'the Daddy'. Safe to say he didn't last much longer after that.
Ince started to call himself the Gov'nor. You can imagine how impressed Fergie was with that :lol:

tomaldinho1

Paul Ince brought an air rifle to training once, walked in the changing rooms and pointed it at everyone, including Fergie (I think). Also told all the youth players to refer to him as 'the Daddy'. Safe to say he didn't last much longer after that.
Wasn't the self imposed 'Guv'nor' nickname supposedly the last straw for Fergie?

Nothing more tragic then creating your own nickname

AndyJ1985

Yeah this has been driving me crazy as well. By the sound of some on here, Ole has to be perfect to even get a look at the job. But fecking Poch can't do anything wrong.
Poch is being judged on several seasons of very good work. Ole is being judged after 8 matches. A bit of perspective is needed

Alabaster Codify7

Yeah Ince was a good player for us but a bit of a tosser as person.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Credit must go to the whole management team. It would be key to keep everyone if they go with Ole

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
:eek: Bloody hell, did not know that! What an idiot. (Not me, Ince.) He probably thought it was hilarious.
Thanks, btw.

Wasn't the self imposed 'Guv'nor' nickname supposedly the last straw for Fergie?
Nothing more tragic then creating your own nickname
Oh, don't remind me....

Dve

There are plenty of managers on a long turn contract being sacked as well - short time after having had success. Honestly, I think Di Matteo is pretty irrelevant to United.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
"That is not the dream, though, to be top four. For Man Utd you should always aim to win the league.

"We can't do that this year, but we have to get back to the challenge. We've got the Champions League, we've got the FA Cup, we can't just say we've got top four and that is it.

"We have to look at if we can win something this year. As I've said, I go into every game as Man Utd manager thinking we can win this game."
Fairly pointed quotes there on the back of Pochs "winning cups is for for the ego, we want to finish top 4" comments yesterday.

:lol: good man Ole, mind games straight out of the Fergie play book.

Dve

Too many tactics with Mourinho type managers, like you stay here you be there, I like Oles style of you be anywhere you like just kill em off.
I don´t think Mourinho will be manager for a big European club in quite a while. Treating players like object is not part of modern management. His next job will be in Dubai. Or Russia. Or maybe he ends up in China, like Felix Magath. Arrogance only works when you are on top.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Fairly pointed quotes there on the back of Pochs "winning cups is for for the ego, we want to finish top 4" comments yesterday.

:lol: good man Ole, mind games straight out of the Fergie play book.
The other quotes referring to Fergie are quality too:

Bola

And he said its for our future whether its with him (Ole) or not.

Its been so long since ive been looking forward to the next match, the next big game, and even the next season all at the same time.
I look forward to the next OGS press conference!

Happy times indeed