Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

Lj82

Fairly pointed quotes there on the back of Pochs "winning cups is for for the ego, we want to finish top 4" comments yesterday.

:lol: good man Ole, mind games straight out of the Fergie play book.
Did Poch really say that?
Winning cups are important. They set the team up with a winning mentality and the taste of success makes them hungry for more.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Did Poch really say that?
Winning cups are important. They set the team up with a winning mentality and the taste of success makes them hungry for more.
"Again we're going to have the debate whether a trophy will take the club to the next level. I don't agree with it. It only builds your ego. The most important thing for Tottenham right now is to always be in the top four."

reddaz71

Solskjaer from top to bottom is a better manager than Pochettino and is a winner, we need a winner's mentality at the club, just give him the job already!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I love Ole.

I hope to god the pressure doesn’t change him and his outlook on football. Right now he’s the perfect man we never knew we needed.

ghagua

To be fair, that was the similar complain about SAF's team since about 2008. Guess what? it worked for the great man without complicating too much.

Control is good but not to extend it becomes like how Jose and LVG wanted us to play. Too much control would lose fluidity of the attacking play. It is not to say we can't improve it but give the guy more time.
Not saying that I expect the team to be playing Barca style football right away, but that's the type of controlling game we should be looking for. LvG's ball retention was not bad, it's just that after the success he had with the dutch team playing ultra defensive football at the world cup, he was too scared to let the team do damage with the possession based football we played. He had the attackers in a shackle. As for Maureen, the less said the better.

As for Fergie's teams, there is no way any team that plays like that will succeed at national or international level right now. Look at the power house teams, they all play controlling football. That's the way forward, not cowering on the edge of your penalty area and hoping to beat a team on the fast break.

Loublaze

ATLien
What's up with opposition fans thinking Ferguson is fully in charge at OT? I find it quite disrespectful to Solskjaer.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Him saying he's preparing this bunch of kids for first team footy next season is the cherry on top. He's playing a type of football i love and has brought back such a feel good atmosphere. I'm looking forward to watching us play again. All for him as permanent manager now.
There are many teams that are more successful (in terms of trophies) than United over the decades or so. But (other than winning trophies), it's the type of football that have brought United to be the most marketable team (with the most fans) in the whole world. That last Summer Tour display in US was just a disgrace to the empire SAF had built.

The moneymen (Glazers, Woodward) need to not forget this.

kaiz

What's up with opposition fans thinking Ferguson is fully in charge at OT? I find it quite disrespectful to Solskjaer.
I take it as a compliment. Ole is doing so well they think we are as good as we used to be under Fergie. It's denial because in their mind, if Ole is really the boss, then we just got another Fergie. And that's a stuff of nightmare for them.

Reactions: Ødegaard

Loublaze

ATLien
I take it as a compliment. Ole is doing so well they think we are as good as we used to be under Fergie. It's denial because in their mind, if Ole is really the boss, then we just got another Fergie. And that's a stuff of nightmare for them.
Thats one way to look at it. I like that. Let them be afraid!

Tony247

very well said! I like it.

AndyJ1985

Saying top 4 isn't good enough for United is very pleasing to hear and very much something Ferguson would have said. I've been disgusted at how low standards have fallen at this club lately, so it's good to finally have people in charge who get what it means to be associated with United.

Thiagoal

Saying top 4 isn't good enough for United is very pleasing to hear and very much something Ferguson would have said. I've been disgusted at how low standards have fallen at this club lately, so it's good to finally have people in charge who get what it means to be associated with United.
Totally agree! We're the best supported and one of the richest teams on the planet- any manager that has aspirations of us being anything other than number one should immediately be dismissed!(Moyes/ Mourinho) Couldn't handle that expectation and tried to bring them down... not Ole!

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
Tbf, although I detest the man, Mourinho pretty much said the same things in his first two seasons. When things went south it wouldn't have made sense for him to continue talking up our ambitions like that. Ole can do so right now because our awful league position is not his doing.

hocane

Top 4 isn't an achievment for a club like ours but from where we were at when he took over it would be a huge achievment for Ole as a coach.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
Ole, 8 wins out of 8, making United a proper team again, playing the football we wanted to see, finding the right mix of youth and experience, rotating when possible and still getting the good results.

The whole idea is now on how to take this group of talented youngsters and experienced players and make them true defenders of the club's status as England's most successful team.

With Liverpool probably going on to win it this year, it is absolutely imperative that we get our act together and challenge for the title next year. For all our dominance over the past 20-26 years, we surpass the scousers by just 2 titles.
It is time we look at the bigger picture, we are currently witnessing Ole starting to build the core of the side that will go on and challenge for the next few years. It is quite exciting as most of us I think weren't "really there" when Fergie built the team with the class of 92 so to see a young manager trying to emulate Sir Alex's steps is just brilliant to see. I trust Ole so far and I do hope he will be the next most serving United manager in our club.

Tony247

Top 4 isn't an achievment for a club like ours but from where we were at when he took over it would be a huge achievment for Ole as a coach.
Correct.

There is subtle difference between how Man Utd and Spurs prioritize.

In August every year
1. Man Utd: each trophy is priority
2. Spurs: top 4 in PL

Of course, towards the end of season sometimes you could find yourself in tough spot due to various reasons. Then you need to set your priorities right. Would be foolish if you don't. This season we are in that tough spot. So, I wouldn't mind if the club repiroritize tournaments.

This is stark difference between Man Utd and how Tottenham operates.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Solskjaer from top to bottom is a better manager than Pochettino and is a winner, we need a winner's mentality at the club, just give him the job already!
I love Ole.

I hope to god the pressure doesn’t change him and his outlook on football. Right now he’s the perfect man we never knew we needed.
We will know pretty much all we will need to know by the time we've played City in March. We've a tough run of games now for any team and Manager so it will be a great indication of Ole's suitability long term. I'm all aboard the Ole train now and I am keeping all my fingers crossed for the next month or so.

Patrick08

Loser mentality this Poch. It's crazy how he wants to downplay the importance of trophies
Yeah, was not impressed by that statement at all. That big game mentality seems to be lacking on crunch occasions. May be its the Tottenham job he's too much into, or may be the lack of killer instinct in himself when you reach the final hurdle, that has always worried me about pochh, though the conditions at Tottenham do not suit a title winning mentality with injuries and lack of squad depth in quality. Can't blame the manager for missing penalties and simple chances as well.

Kapardin

The other quotes referring to Fergie are quality too:

Pochettino is in a Mourinhoesque situation. He's got a job to do but not been given the money to achieve it. Leads to him deflecting and protecting his own reputation. Unlike Jose though, he's actually done a good job to warrant transfer funds.

Ole is a caretaker manager, free of pressure, on a winning run with players who are rejuvenated. He's doing a great job and saying the right things, but comparing the 2 situations is apples and oranges really.

mav_9me

Pochettino is in a Mourinhoesque situation. He's got a job to do but not been given the money to achieve it. Leads to him deflecting and protecting his own reputation. Unlike Jose though, he's actually done a good job to warrant transfer funds.

Ole is a caretaker manager, free of pressure, on a winning run with players who are rejuvenated. He's doing a great job and saying the right things, but comparing the 2 situations is apples and oranges really.
Fair enough but it becomes a self fulfilling thing. We don't care we are out of the cups. Players care just a tiny bit less and those are the margins at that level. I don't pretend to say I have the answer to how to go about it but that acceptance of defeat leads to more defeats imo.

Shez

Fair enough but it becomes a self fulfilling thing. We don't care we are out of the cups. Players care just a tiny bit less and those are the margins at that level. I don't pretend to say I have the answer to how to go about it but that acceptance of defeat leads to more defeats imo.
That failure to go the final mile and close is what saw them fail to capitalize and win the league over Leicester - one team was playing to win, the other was playing with a mentality of "oh if we win, itd be nice, but if not, no biggies. Progress"

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

How is Ole free of pressure? If United had been slapped by Spurs and/or Arsenal, or even if he'd have come in and gotten dissapointing results against other teams, right now many of us (myself included most likely) would be moaning about getting shot of Mourinho for a caretaker who couldn't hack it.

Anyone who sits in the manager's hot seat at Old Trafford has to deal with pressure. Its Pochettino's prickly reaction to even gentle media scrutiny that makes you worry he hasn't got what it takes to do that.

Last edited:

shaky

I think Poch is just laying the foundations for his departure this summer. Making sure all his reasons for moving to a more ambitious club are out in the open and hard to argue with.

Kapardin

I think Poch is just laying the foundations for his departure this summer. Making sure all his reasons for moving to a more ambitious club are out in the open and hard to argue with.
Yep. I'm not saying he is flawless, but give the guy a big club and some money and see if he still chats shit about trophies. Think deep down he is angry and frustrated at not being able to win, and wants a platform to achieve it.

And I'm not even a big Poch fan by the way. I'm open to him managing United but I also have concerns about his record in Europe barring last season -- they barely squeaked past group stages of CL this season courtesy of an Inter bottlejob.

United Hobbit

"That’s not the dream though - to be top four," Solskjaer stressed. "We’re Man United, you should always aim to win the league. We can’t do that this year but we’ve just got to look forward to that again because we have to get back to that."

Oh wow what a difference that makes to Moyes saying city are the level we are aspiring to and that Liverpool are favourites along with Jose saying us losing to Seville was part of our football heritage or something similarly awful, sure he alluded to Liverpool being on a level above us prior to his final game with us almost like Moyes said. I can't find the exact interview but compare all what Ole has said so far to the following

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...test-news-odds-prediction-watch-a8688751.html

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/gallery/david-moyes-in-quotes-7014000

Yes you could potentially look at Pochettino and his comments as someone who has been in their job a while and gets cynical compared to someone who is having what is technically an interview but Ole has just said all the right things so far.

I believe you should try and challenge for every trophy available to you- the FA cup and league cup were probably Tottenham's best chance of silverware, yes you could argue even Moyes won the charity shield but it still gave a good feeling for the fans at the time. Why do you think we won the treble with Sir Alex- because he wanted to win trophies .

Unfortunately due to where we have been manager wise the last few years top 4 has become an achievement which is nowhere near where we should be yes we've been spoilt with Sir Alex but we need to be back challenging for the league, you could argue City have an exceptional team at the moment but we should be pressing them all the way.

Interestingly I asked a Liverpool fan if they would be annoyed at Klopp technically sacrificing the FA cup IF they don't win the league- their answer was no they won't the only thing that would make them criticise him is not making top 4. If I'd supported that Liverpool team this season i would be disappointed at coming out of it trophyless. Unfortunately it'll probably be irrelevant as they will win at least the league (:houllier:) but I'd be disappointed at sacrificing the FA cup especially at the risk of ending the season without trophies.

It says everything when rival fans are disappointed you no longer have a manager e.g. Moyes/ Mourinho

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Some interesting facts.When we were 2-1 up away to Chelsea under Jose, with time running out Jose took two attackers off and brought on 2 defenders, the mentality was clearly to hold on for a 2-1 win.We drew 2-2.
When we were under the cosh away to Arsenal last week Ole brought on Martial & Rashford , two attackers.We went from winning 2-1 to winning comfortably by 3-1. Which mentality would you prefer in your manager? I know which one I like, it's Ole's.
Also since we have adopted Jose's more attacking game plan our goals conceded stats have improved hugely, I think its gone from over a goal game to .5 of a goal per game? Furthermore we have yet to be behind under OGS while it was the norm for us to lose the first goal under Jose.
Food for thought.

Aarron Swift

Without tempting fate, Unless I’m wrong, a win over Burnley tonight would be the 1st time we have won 7 Premier League games in a row since Jan-March 2013 almost 6 years. We’ve done 6 a few times but not 7.

What an achievement it would be!

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Without tempting fate, Unless I’m wrong, a win over Burnley tonight would be the 1st time we have won 7 Premier League games in a row since Jan-March 2013 almost 6 years. We’ve done 6 a few times but not 7.

Have you heard of the concept of a jinx? If we don't win tonight, I putting all the blame squarely on you.

Raw

It'll also be the first time in PL history that a manager has won their first 7 league games. Current record is 6 held by Pep, Mourinho, Ancelotti and our very own Ole.