Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

Zoo

He’s still learning about his players. I want him to get the gig and Woodward must allow him to be ruthless in the summer, so if for example he’d want to move Lukaku on he should be allowed to even if the club makes a loss.

Patrick08

Matic is the one who needs resting though, he has played so much football this season and always plays the full game, unlike Herrera. Ole got it wrong tonight, no excuses for me.
Matic is not injury prone like Herrera, he can manage it as we have seen before.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Ole still has the best ever start to a PL managerial reign:

I imagine some others have seven wins out of first eight too.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
How? Did he miss all those chances? And Matic runs a lot less than Herrera, so it stands to reason that he would need less rest.
I mean he got the line-up wrong and the subs came too late. Herrera is a fit player who hasn't played that much. If Matic can play all these games, Herrera can play the extra match, he's very fit.

nycender

Feckin hell the knives couldn't wait to come out tonight. Got the selection wrong but loved the spirit in the side to grab the draw. Still love him, still don't want Poch.

Patrick08

He’s still learning about his players. I want him to get the gig and Woodward must allow him to be ruthless in the summer, so if for example he’d want to move Lukaku on he should be allowed to even if the club makes a loss.
Other Team's are lacking strikers and here we find arguments about weakning our strength in depth.:wenger:

Why not find better creative playmakers and players who can deliver better balls to lukaku to score.

Eddy_JukeZ

I think Ole reacts a bit too late at times. Should have made the subs at half-time IMO.

And I don't think Lukaku should have been brought off.

Still, he's had a fantastic start.

minoo-utd

We have really strong games coming. We should put this behind us now and hopefully Ole sticks with the team he picked many times, but without Jones in the back, we need Smalling back. And surely we are in a bad need of few additions. Full backs never good enough, we need a couple at the back line and one C.M and a fecking R.W.

AgentSquirrel

I mean he got the line-up wrong and the subs came too late. Herrera is a fit player who hasn't played that much. If Matic can play all these games, Herrera can play the extra match, he's very fit.
But if Rashford had taken those easy chances we would have won comfortably, so how was the lineup wrong? Did they all jump in front of Rashford and obscure his view of the goal?
We created more than enough chances to win the game, with that line up.

AJ10

Ole had an interview where he discussed reasons why things went bad at Cardiff, and he mentioned that he rotated too much.

He is getting back to his old habits. The worst place to rotate in a team, is the attacking front. The same chemistry and cohesion vanishes.

You can bring subs on at 70mins, but not start a completely different front 3. People mention that Rashford should have scored, yes he should have. However, he had been playing out on the left for majority of the game and came on for 10 minutes in the prior game against Arsenal. His rythem was derailed but no good reason! I still don't know why he rotated for the front 3 for burnley. What made us play well in first 7 games is from runners and Pogba finding spaces for the ball to hit.

Ole is literally playing Sanchez and Lukaku for the sake of making them happy, he needs to be more ruthless. I think the fact he was a sub before, he feels more empathy.

Dissapointing from Ole.
What are you on about? Martial is injured, Lingard can't play every game, same goes for ander. Lukaku played 65-70 then sanchez came on.

humdinger

We need to rotate but the team selection tonight removed a lot of what has made our attack so threatening. Martial was obviously forced but he really should have left the rest of the team and tactics as intact as possible. I guess his logic was that Burnley would defend in numbers so he wanted creativity and technique by bringing in Pereira and Mata.

Never mind. He made some mistakes tonight but he’s done so much better than most of us dreamed and got the team fighting till the last minute (and beyond). Rescuing a point tonight will be hugely beneficial for confidence.

OT1214

Squad rotation will be his major challenge in the coming weeks. Cant keep picking the same eleven with all those games coming up. Its upto the squad players now to step up when picked.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
What are you on about? Martial is injured, Lingard can't play every game, same goes for ander. Lukaku played 65-70 then sanchez came on.
Even still, it's a lot of rotations. He made 3 changes against Arsenal and then another 5 changes today. We have 4 nights rest - he could have opted to keep Herrera or Lingard and rest the others. He could have kept Sanchez rather than swapping Mata in.

Not really one to complain too much on though - I think what he fielded was enough to win the game. Had question marks over Andreas but no one could have guessed that he'd be this bad.

Trophy Room

Aye. Anyone who thinks that performance is a black mark against a manager probably has a lot of other bad opinions to share too. Cut out the defensive errors and you win the league playing like that every week.

Maybe he should have taken Pereira off earlier, but not much else wrong. We created more than enough and conceded little. What more do people want? If Rashford scored the opener early, the game would be in a completely different light. That was a good performance aprt from the two awful errors.
This and the post from Borden.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
But if Rashford had taken those easy chances we would have won comfortably, so how was the lineup wrong? Did they all jump in front of Rashford and obscure his view of the goal?
We created more than enough chances to win the game, with that line up.
Of course, but players miss chances just as they make chances out of nothing, should the manager get less credit for those goals?

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Feckin hell the knives couldn't wait to come out tonight. Got the selection wrong but loved the spirit in the side to grab the draw. Still love him, still don't want Poch.
All this.

BaseFishing

If Ole gets 4th, or even comes close to it, and we don't give him the job, I will be furious and sad.

ravi2

Mabye starting Periera, Mata and Lukaku together wasnt the greatest idea, but Ole is rapidly learning which players he can count on. I still hope he gets the job full time and he is allowed to make a few drastic changes this summer. Selling Lukaku and Sanchez and freeing up the wage bill to bring in an elite RW and CB and we'll be challenging for titles next year.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
We didn't go all guns blazing in the first half like we have done in many of those earlier games and looked like we were conserving energies; saying that, we still comfortably controlled the game and a goal was always a matter of when. Andreas then decided it would be a great - for the sake of Caftards - if we show this 'bounce back' thing that everyone keeps talking about and sucker punched us: went seriously downhill after that in terms of our approach. We had no creative interplays and weirdly persisted almost relentlessly with putting in shite cross after shite cross :confused: Ole could have done much better there, taking off Lukaku whilst continuing to play like that made it all the more bizarre.

Can't fault the team for their spirit though and it properly brang back those Fergie Timefeelz; made for a cracking end to the game to come back from 2 nil down. Too much rotation-induced tinkering to the system cost us tonight but hopefully Ole learns from this. Disappointing - for sure, but teams will drop points and we are still to play both Arsenal and Chelsea so I still feel it's very much in our hands.

Finally, you really can't blame the manager for our crap Young, Andreas and Mata were today.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Ole had an interview where he discussed reasons why things went bad at Cardiff, and he mentioned that he rotated too much.

He is getting back to his old habits. The worst place to rotate in a team, is the attacking front. The same chemistry and cohesion vanishes.

You can bring subs on at 70mins, but not start a completely different front 3. People mention that Rashford should have scored, yes he should have. However, he had been playing out on the left for majority of the game and came on for 10 minutes in the prior game against Arsenal. His rythem was derailed but no good reason! I still don't know why he rotated for the front 3 for burnley. What made us play well in first 7 games is from runners and Pogba finding spaces for the ball to hit.

Ole is literally playing Sanchez and Lukaku for the sake of making them happy, he needs to be more ruthless. I think the fact he was a sub before, he feels more empathy.

Dissapointing from Ole.
Have you seen our fixture list?
Do you want him to rest players vs City, Liverpool, Chelsea, PSG (twice) and Arsenal, or Burnley, Leicester, Fulham, Southampton and Palace? We play all those in the next month and a half, and even if these are professionals, he can't play the same 11 every game. The team today is good enough to beat Burnley at home, comfortable.

The fact that he was sub before, means he knows the importance of all the players in the squad, it doesn't have to be sympathy. People think that because he's so nice and humble in interviews, he can't be cynical as a manager. You're wrong.

Some of you STILL for some reason keep nagging about his time at Cardiff, and think that's all he's done, just stop it, it's getting annoying.

He won the league in Norway with a team who never did it before, he's done well in Euorpe with them aswell.
Check group A:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015–16_UEFA_Europa_League_group_stage

They met Sevilla after the group stages, won one of the legs 1-0, lost the other 3-0.
Sevilla later won EL (as usual).

I'm not defending him because i'm Norwegian, i didn't like it when i first heard he was taking over as caretaker, but seriously, he's won 8 and drew 1, in 9 matches. He deserves more after that than the shit some on here give him after the first match they didn't win.
Comeback from 2-0 down with 10 minutes to go, usually feels like a win, except for today, it seems.

AJ10

Even still, it's a lot of rotations. He made 3 changes against Arsenal and then another 5 changes today. We have 4 nights rest - he could have opted to keep Herrera or Lingard and rest the others. He could have kept Sanchez rather than swapping Mata in.

Not really one to complain too much on though - I think what he fielded was enough to win the game. Had question marks over Andreas but no one could have guessed that he'd be this bad.
I agree with Sanchez and mata but If martial wasn't injured I'm sure he would have started. Anyways plenty of games coming up, actually looking forward to them.
Andreas was pretty bad surprisingly, not expecting him to start many now and leave in summer which was always going to happen regardless of tonight's match IMO.

After Rash's miss this game became one of those where we were never going to score but we kept at it which was fergie like.

AgentSquirrel

Of course, but players miss chances just as they make chances out of nothing, should the manager get less credit for those goals?
The manager should get the same amount of credit for allowing the player to be in a position where he can score a goal i.e. on the pitch.
And the very salient point (in amongst all the whinging about the lineup) is that the lineup was good enough to beat Burnley, as evidenced by the amount of chances we created (and pissed away) and by their absolutely lack of chances (aside from 2 stupid mistakes). The draw had nothing to do with rotation or playing Rashford on the left. It had to do with poor finishing from someone who would otherwise put away those chances on another day.

Naive tonight. He rotated too many players and tried to play Burnley at their own game. Should have stuck with pace and movement and these cannon fodder teams can't live with that.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Barcelona last 9 matches: 7-0-2

Liverpool last 9 matches: 7-0-2

mCity last 9 matches(ex. Burton): 6-0-3

Chelsea last 9 matches: 6-1-2

Juventus last 9 matches: 7-1-0

Real Madrid last 9 matches: 6-1-2

United last 9 matches: 8-1-0

Not all that bad eh?

Should have could have won today.. but it was just one of those games where finishing was not good enough and it affects the players.
I am sure that if Rashford put the first one then we would be looking at 3-0 and praise all over the place.

Also, it was a must to rotate some in this game:

Burnley 29.01, Leicester 03.02, Fulham 07.02, PSG 12.02, Chelsea 17.02
Thats 5 games in 2 1/2 weeks. It had to be a lot of rotation vs. Arsenal / Burnley imo.
If you play the same players all the time then you not only get injuries but also the squad players will not be fit and up to the task when stepping in.

Ban

For all the changes and I think Lingard and Ander should have started, we still battered them and pin them in their own half in the 2nd.
I think we were too sleepy in the 1st but still had 2 good chances to take the lead.

Castia

Should have kept Lukaku on that’s my main complaint. We must have put 30 crosses into the box after he went off it made no sense.

Irwin99

Do you want him to rest players vs City, Liverpool, Chelsea, PSG (twice) and Arsenal, or Burnley, Leicester, Fulham, Southampton and Palace? We play all those in the next month and a half, and even if these are professionals, he can't play the same 11 every game. The team today is good enough to beat Burnley at home, comfortable.

I'm not defending him because i'm Norwegian, i didn't like it when i first heard he was taking over as caretaker, but seriously, he's won 8 and drew 1, in 9 matches. He deserves more after that than the shit some on here give him after the first match they didn't win.
Comeback from 2-0 down with 10 minutes to go, usually feels like a win, except for today, it seems.
Agreed. That fixture list is an absolute nightmare with our squad. Today was probably the best game to do it but things didn't go our way. Problem is that our midfield picks itself yet you can't ask Pogba, Herrera and Matic to play every single one of those games at peak performance, it just isn't on. Our squad has to step up. Will be interesting to see the line ups for our next two games.

AJ10

Should have kept Lukaku on that’s my main complaint. We must have put 30 crosses into the box after he went off it made no sense.
This was strange when you think about it,we scored 2 when he came off. Can understand our players crossing since Burnley were camped in their box but after lukaku went off there was no one who was a serious threat from crosses. It looked like midgets vs giants.

reddaz71

He's been outstanding but lets not kid ourselves, more than anything a caretaker has been brought in so the owners don't have to spend money this window!

Trophy Room

Its interesting isn't it? We had no clue as to what our best 11 was until Ole showed us. Now we expect them to play every game.

There was a huge clamour on the CAF for giving everyone a chance, a 'fresh start.' Claims of mediocrity for Fred and Andreas were slammed. They haven't done well and Ole gets hammered for being naive and 'changing a winning formula.' :lol::lol:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

The fact that he was sub before, means he knows the importance of all the players in the squad, it doesn't have to be sympathy. People think that because he's so nice and humble in interviews, he can't be cynical as a manager. You're wrong.

Some of you STILL for some reason keep nagging about his time at Cardiff, and think that's all he's done, just stop it, it's getting annoying.

He won the league in Norway with a team who never did it before, he's done well in Euorpe with them aswell.
Check group A:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015–16_UEFA_Europa_League_group_stage

They met Sevilla after the group stages, won one of the legs 1-0, lost the other 3-0.
Sevilla later won EL (as usual).

The time to rest players was against Arsenal on Friday, today was the more important of the two games. I said it in the build up to the Arsenal game

Renegade

I love Ole, but does anyone feel he panders to the fans abit too much with his comments? I’m not sure if its because I’m constantly seeing quotes from him on social media but how long can he keep saying “this is Manchester Utd” blah blah. It’ll be intresting to see how he responds to set back. I still feel we should wait to the end of season and make a decision then rather than rushing to one now. We can’t afford a 4th bad appointment.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I love Ole, but does anyone feel he panders to the fans abit too much with his comments? I’m not sure if its because I’m constantly seeing quotes from him on social media but how long can he keep saying “this is Manchester Utd” blah blah. It’ll be intresting to see how he responds to set back. I still feel we should wait to the end of season and make a decision then rather than rushing to one now. We can’t afford a 4th bad appointment.
Fergie spent 27 years blowing the fans and telling us all what we wanted to hear, even when the truth was otherwise. Both Ole and Fergie comtrast massively to Mourinho in this regard.

arthurka

To be fair our last manager left him with Valencia and Young as fullbacks. Lukaku as a CF and Fred and Fellaini.. We need to rotate we are playing 6 games in the next 4 weeks.. We need to ship out 8 or 9 players and sign some really good ones instead.