Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Keane at least LOOKS the part and has a charisma and confidence about him. Solskjaer will be like a deer in the headlights as United manager. He looked out of his depth at CARDIFF ffs. But he scored that one goal so I suppose it’s okay if he has us sitting in 15th by the end of the season... I mean he’s only interim right? Then we can give about 50m for a guy who’s never won a trophy in his life. That’s the plan, right?

Yeah I can really see this ending well.
Ugh, state of this.

mu4c_20le

So we should give the job to anyone who does poor with a shit team then? Why not John Carver then. I mean managing Newcastle isn’t the same as managing United!... Right? :rolleyes:
Cardiff was a sinking ship, it was a poor decision to go there just like Neville going to Valencia. I did not forget about that spell, but instead of using it as a stick to bash him with (decade old stick), I see it as a positive because it was his first real stint and he has probably learned from it, probably humbled as well. Anyways you have already been outed as a nutter so i'm done with your wums.

Negan

Ugh, state of this.
You’re gonna tell me he would be a United Legend if it wasn’t for THAT goal? He would be remembered like Chicharito if it wasn’t for that. Come off it.

Negan

Cardiff was a sinking ship, it was a poor decision to go there just like Neville going to Valencia. I did not forget about that spell, but instead of using it as a stick to bash him with (decade old stick), I see it as a positive because it was his first real stint and he has probably learned from it, probably humbled as well. Anyways you have already been outed as a nutter so i'm done with your wums.
Alright, so he failed and was humbled at a rubbish team... now tell me why makes him suitable to continue this season for the biggest club in England who have a realistic chance of coming 4th, going on a run in the Champions League and have the FA Cup coming up.

Go on. Try and convince me this isn’t a complete fecking disaster.

PepsiCola

You’re gonna tell me he would be a United Legend if it wasn’t for THAT goal? He would be remembered like Chicharito if it wasn’t for that. Come off it.
Jesus Christ.

Off with Mourinho, you should go.

Laphroaig

Seeing as PL has become increasingly depressing the last few years, I've been following the Norwegian league much more closely, and especially Molde. His second spell there has certainly been less successful than his first glorious reign, but it's not been all bad. They've finished second the last two seasons, and in 2016 they deservedly won their EL group in front of Ajax, Celtic and Fenerbache, the best performance in Europe by a Norwegian team for some time. But remember that Molde is a club that develops and sells players. They've been a victim of their own success, letting too many go and not always replacing them with the right stuff.

This season Molde started off well, faded (perhaps in part due to OGS experimenting with 3 or 5 at the back) and finished off brilliantly. I'd say their top level was easily the best in the league this season (5-1 and 4-0 against the team that finished third, and pissing all over winners Rosenborg for 90 minutes straight in a game they bizarrely managed to win by merely 1-0), and they played the best (attacking) football in the league. However - they were inconsistent and at times very poor. You'll know some of his star players this season: He brought back Magnus Wolff Eikrem late in the season (4 goals, 9 assists in his last 11 games and the best player in the league - I'm telling you Solskjær would probably bring him to OT if noone stopped him, it's a serious mancrush), Etzaz Hussain who's finally starting to look like a player, and Erling Braut Håland, who's gone off to RB Salzburg and will go on to much bigger things.

Solskjær swears by WWFD (WWTBD, as he's still "the boss"). I wouldn't trust him to sort out our defence, but he'll be attacking minded and try to unleash the attackers. His history for finding and developing attacking talent in Norway has been extraordinary. I can only imagine that Rashford and Martial will thrive under him. I doubt he'll set the league on fire and keep the job, but it'll probably be six enjoyable months, at least we'll get some positivity back, with someone who understand, loves and respect the club.

From full on apathy yesterday to huge enthusiasm today. I don't care that it's just a short fling.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Aside from “that” goal, I grew up watching Ole and he was 10 times the player Hernandez was. His touch was magnificent, he was lethal with both feet and his head from anywhere up to 30 yards.

The fact he played on the wing for us for his latter years tells you all you need to know. There’s no chance Hernandez could even hope to play wide.

Canagel

Except it hasn’t. We’re 6th. Not 16th.

I also don’t think the importance in how we finish the season should be underestimated either. Finishing 12th won’t be good for anyone. This ‘feel good’ spirit everyone thinks Ole is going to instill won’t last a month if we are losing football matches every week. 6 months is a long time to be rubbish. 6 games is one thing, but 6 months changes mentalities, forms habits etc.

Even if we don’t make the top 4, I’d rather us go again next season having finished 5th having put up a fight, determined to take that next step next year, rather than been nowhere near, having finished behind Watford, Bournemouth and Wolves, the likes of who will respect us even less next year if that happens. Giving up on a season on 18th December is ridiculous, and giving up hope of moving 2 places up a league table in 6 months is similarly so.
We need title winning form for the rest of the season to achieve top 4. 11 points off , 12 if you factor GD. Being 6th in the table doesn't mean much given the context. The PL is very weak and we've already dropped too many points to fight for top 4. We need not one but TWO teams to lose games. Not happening.

Guoan

Supports
Beijing Guoan
I don’t care what this says about me but all four of them are hot and ‘as if it’s your last’ is one hell of a catchy song.
It says that you're a man of good tastes :)

Dante

Average bang

K_Ash

his work with Cardiff C doesnt count?...I would have gone Blanc

dave1956

Given the time frame of events and the need to keep within the rules of the sport, i.e., making approaches to managers of other clubs that this is not a knee jerk reaction by the Management Board to the Liverpool result but a well thought out business plan.
Not only choosing the best interim manager available, but they have approached a long term manger and have assurances that he will take up the post at the end of the present season. Otherwise I fear that we will end up come July with no manager in place and another season assessing the first team squad, before remedial action can be taken to address the present squad.

Beaucoup

Looks like the tails wagging the dog to me. This appointment’s clearly been made to get Pogba back onside.

Negan

Aside from “that” goal, I grew up watching Ole and he was 10 times the player Hernandez was. His touch was magnificent, he was lethal with both feet and his head from anywhere up to 30 yards.

The fact he played on the wing for us for his latter years tells you all you need to know. There’s no chance Hernandez could even hope to play wide.
He was a bench warmer. But that’s beside the point... he has no business being United manager. Good player or not. Especially when he’s already made a show of himself in the PL. Nothing he’s done at Cardiff made me think he could be a good manager.

And the fact that people are excited about this baffles me.

But apparently Blanc and Keane weren’t suitable... Okay....

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Is this a wind up?

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Did you actually watch him play much?

HisDudeness

Supports
Rangers
hughes haha you would have been relegated before the summer. the objective is to survive til summer.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Keane at least LOOKS the part and has a charisma and confidence about him. Solskjaer will be like a deer in the headlights as United manager.He looked out of his depth at CARDIFF ffs.

But he scored that one goal so I suppose it’s okay if he has us sitting in 15th by the end of the season...
Keane was out of his depth at Sunderland. He was crap at both Sunderland and Ipswich. The pressure was too much and he realised he was rubbish so he quit managerial roles to be a pundit and an assistant for ROI.

Ahh that one goal, what a glorious moment that was :drool:. On a serious note the squad could manage themselves to a higher placed finish than 15th. There is enough quality in this squad to easily make the EL at the least, regardless of the manager.

Just relax mate.

meninred

Personally i would have preferred a more experienced interim manager as we still are in champions league and still attempt for top 4.But I guess what might more can we loose ?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
You have produced a series of some of the most ill informed, ignorant posts I’ve ever seen on the Caf. Congratulations.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Insightful. I bet you were all for the appointment of Moyesy aswell. Excuse me for realistic and not being blindly optimistic.
I was dead against the appointment of Moyes, in agreement with LVG and wildly in favour of Jose. For what it's worth.

Surely you are aware of the fact that the Solskjaer appointment is merely a temporary solution to an ongoing problem. We won't know for some time who our next manager will be, so sit tight and enjoy the attacking football on display for the next 6 months - that which we have been denied for the last 5 years.

What? The guy's legacy at our club goes well beyond the Camp Nou goal. Have a word with yourself. What about the four goals at Notts Forest? What about all the goals over those eleven years with us?

Negan

his work with Cardiff C doesnt count?...I would have gone Blanc
Apparently not. According to some people on here, it was a sinking ship and him winning 3 games out of 18 and looking like a deer in a headlights doesn’t count. Keane though? That’s apparently a laughable appointment despite him having way more experience and know-how. And Blanc? That guy only won 11 trophies out of a possible 12 with PSG but that’s a farmers league and anyone would win that league with PSG... except that time he won it with Bordeaux but we’ll just choose to ignore that whenever we discuss him.

The French League is a poor league but Solskjaer winning the Norwegian Premier League or whatever the feck it’s called is damn impressive!

And I thought this day couldn’t get any worse.

Tiber

Why the hell not? We have literally nothing to lose. Can't possibly sink lower than Jose dragged us

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
We might as well have done a bloody raffle for the job. Our chances of top 4 were better with Jose. Complete and utter joke of a club.

We can’t even get the announcement right. It’s just an absolute and utter cock up on all levels. Just sack Woodward and whoever else thought this was a good idea.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
He was a bench warmer. But that’s beside the point... he has no business being United manager. Good player or not. Especially when he’s already made a show of himself in the PL. Nothing he’s done at Cardiff made me think he could be a good manager.

I can understand people having doubts over Ole but you are embarrassing yourself by first of all having a go at his playing career anf then secondly somehow rooting for Keane while telling us all the reasons that Ole is a bad appointment.

Tiber

Dear me. The newbie forum doesn't seem to be doing its job anymore

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Hughes has a long record of failure at managerial level. Bruce is a fairly comparable shout but presumably is a bit old school. Gary Neville is a pundit. He has no managerial experience at all, except in his disastrous stint at Valencia.

OGS is a young coach, with plenty to prove, and with two league titles under his belt. He has presumably shown enough to the likes of Sir Alex to be seen as a viable caretaker option. It’s a brave appointment by the club, who have presumably written the season off, and have both eyes on the summer reboot. Where, if the club want Poch, they’ll buy out his contract and take him.

If the club go all in for Poch in the summer, they will get him. Which is obviously bad for Spurs, but a reality of the food chain. Personally I’d rather go after Favre, and be a bit original. I think it’ll be hard for Poch to recreate his overachieving Spurs rendition at United.
IMO the only way you will get Poch is it you turn his head and make him force the move, I don’t see Poch doing this.

This is just my opinion but Levy won’t agree to any settlement from just a pot of cash. Poch will have to force it, then Levy will negotiate. Of course I could be wrong but from all I have seen, even with his time in Spain and his time with Bielsa he doesn’t see football like other managers. Happiness and general life come first, feeling wanting and more human things mean a lot to him. Another thing which probably seems stupid, but the more the media say *its a sure thing* will piss him off, he is his own man. I generally feel not many United fans have followed Poch much or listen to him and what he finds important to him. Again I’m not saying he wouldn’t be interested but it’s not as simple as is being made out.

OleGunnar20

Absolutely delighted !

My favourite player by a long way. I think his positivity & demeanour is exactly what we need at the moment.

I personally don't particularly hold the Cardiff debacle against him, as many have mentioned he wouldn't be the first manager to experience a disaster before finding true success, and as a Welshman with lots of Cardiff supporting mates - that team was an absolute shambles from top to bottom. Tan was a bit of a lune.

In my wildest dreams I hope he runs away with it and earns a full-time position, however far fetched that sounds.

Either way I'm excited to watch United again after a year of putting up with the rampant negativity spread by ol'Moyesinhio.

That feels like a win to me.

Good luck Ole !

Jonty

WUM! Ole has cut it amongst all the recent United greats, was always dedicated to the team and formed a great affinity with the fans that's what makes a legend.

Infra-red

How’s his managerial career been? I literally have no idea what to expect.
Did pretty well in Norway (won two leagues) did terribly at Cardiff (lost most of the games, got relegated, got fired), went back to Norway, did alright again (without winning anymore leagues). That's about it really.

No CL level club in any of Europe's top 5 Leagues would even consider him, but he is a United legend and it is only for 6 months and our season is already effectively over (at least in terms of silverware). Might be a bit of fun, essentially.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
So we should give the job to anyone who does poor with a shit team then? Why not John Carver then. I mean managing Newcastle isn’t the same as managing United!... Right? :rolleyes:

Except it’s not fecking over. We’re SIXTH. We can still come fourth. We’re still in the Champions League and we still have the FA Cup. Do you honestly see us getting ANY of those things under fecking Solskjaer? Mourinho beat Juventus. There was a chance we could have gotten the win over PSG under him. There’s ZERO chance now. Solskjaer is a laughable choice and the rival fans must be laughing their bollocks off

Insightful. I bet you were all for the appointment of Moyesy aswell. Excuse me for realistic and not being blindly optimistic.

Keane at least LOOKS the part and has a charisma and confidence about him. Solskjaer will be like a deer in the headlights as United manager. He looked out of his depth at CARDIFF ffs. But he scored that one goal so I suppose it’s okay if he has us sitting in 15th by the end of the season... I mean he’s only interim right? Then we can give about 50m for a guy who’s never won a trophy in his life. That’s the plan, right?

Yeah I can really see this ending well.
I love Keane but he doesn't look the part. He looks like a fecking hobo who's about bite your nose off. Appointing Keane would be fecking stupid on so many levels.

Verminator

So you're an OPPO wum then?
How many players have bettered Ole's scoring ratio since he retired?
Rooney and Zlatan.
That's even with him playing on the wing in his latter years.
Goals per minute, I don't know if anyone gets close to him.

tieunhilang

I actually don't mind Ole as a striker instead of Lukaku right now... Hope he can teach Lukaku a thing or two about first touch...
Food for positivity: The last 3 Champions League titles were won by a man who scored in the Champions League final!

stevoc

But why would he agree to this if there wasn’t even a chance of a permanent position?
Money, chance of a lifetime to manage the club he loves, put himself in the shop window for other jobs if he does well.

He has literally nothing to lose in taking the job.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
How could I possibly tell you that, from my bedroom in East London?

I am confident that if Solskjaer has spent his career elsewhere, and was judged on his merits as a manager, Manchester United would not struggle to get a more qualified manager than him, interim or not. Chelsea have managed to get Hiddink, Benitez and Grant in similar circumstances. If I had said yesterday we should sack Jose and get Ole in I can only imagine the reaction.
As interims Hiddink got Chelsea 35 points in 22 games, Benitez 51 in 26. Nothing special at all.

For perspective, we would need at least 50 from the next 21 to even have a slim chance of top 4. There is no safe bet to deliver such a miracle.

cheeky_backheel

its a tough ask for him to turn the team around but hopefully we get into EL.

More important is the appointment of a DoF who can hopefully plot a way forward.