g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

Shez

After 10 wins out of 11 and the brand of football we've been playing, I can not for the life of me understand how anyone could not want to give Ole a chance! Some whinging about Fulham having a couple of early chances yesterday! :lol: Have you not fecking watched us against West Ham, Brighton and Liverpool this season where we were outplayed for 90 minutes! He is a legend and deserves a shot to return us to former glories!
I swear. It's almost like people think that city, pool etc player perfect games where the oppo doesn't get a single shit, and they pepper the goals every game. Just look at France in the group stages this world cup... Top teams concede chances against oppo every game. Also you win some you lose some. Aim is just to do the former significantly more

Lucky Buttons

With Avram G being at the game last night I bet you there were talks about the future and Ole's position.

Tiber

Anyone favour of a rolling contract? I think Guardiola was under one during his time at Barcelona each season.
Absolutely not. You either commit to a manager and his vision or you don't.

If you want an easy out quietly put a close in his contract, don't do it in a way that makes him look weak to his players/potential signings

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Lets wait and see. May come crashing down or we may continue this incredible form till the end of the season.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
With Avram G being at the game last night I bet you there were talks about the future and Ole's position.
I was scared as feck after reading Avram G as Avram Grant instead of Glazer. Took me some time realizing that shite

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I thought the same. With each game that passes the idea of changing for Poch seems more strange.

I have completely changed my view. I wanted Poch but now am all behind Ole.

There was a bit of me that didn’t want Ole in case somehow his legendary status is tarnished in case he was unsuccessful but it just seems the logical thing now, he’s done so well. Love the guy even more than before if that’s possible.

Josep Dowling

To say that I have been happy with the football that OGS has brought to this United team would be an understatement. He has done much more than I could possibly ask for at this point. 10 wins and a drawn out of 11 games. Get out of here!

There has been argument about the challenges in the 2nd season, drawing reference from Di Matteo. How would we even know until we give him a shot? Surely he has done enough to deserve this 2nd shot, no?

Some ask how he would have performed if not for certain players e.g. Pogba. That could be said of many managers and teams who have world class players, and why can't United support to OGS to build an even better team?

If we continue to perform like we are doing currently, OGS must surely get another season as the Manager of Manchester United.
The Di Matteo comparison really annoys me. First just because it didn’t work out for one club doesn’t mean it won’t work out for another club.

And I’m sure Di Matteo wasn’t doing that badly in his second season anyway. Chelsea’s expectations are too high. I’m sure they were 3rd when he was sacked.

PeteManic

It is an absolute certainty that he will get the job. Can't wait for all these games in February.

el3mel

Love everything about him. Great manager and great man. Ridiculous if we don't stick with him while he's successful to try our luck with another manager. I'll prefer to stick with Ole, and he has shown he's not just about guts and motivation. His tactics have been top notch.

Let's create our Zidane. :drool:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Get into the next round of the CL and win one of the Chelsea/Liverpool games and he has the job.

Jonas Hagman

Supports
Olympiakos , Moss FK, FCK
Ok,

If Ole don't get the job now I think it could split the fans ore far worse, fans leaving the club as well.. At least I think the board would face massive protest from the CORE fans if we start looking elsewhere at this point !
It's starting to look impossible for Ole not to get the job if it continues like this ....

If We hired someone else now, would you protest at this point?

Minimalist

Anybody basing their opinions of whether Ole deserves the job off the PSG tie needs to give their head a wobble. It's a fecking cup game - anything can happen. Same as the Chelsea game - if we win great but if not, doesn't mean a whole lot as far as management is concerned.

It's the league we should be looking at - it's the bread and butter. And so far he has been borderline flawless.

At this point, I'll be fecking depressed if we let him go and appoint a fecking Spurs manager.

Canagel

We're producing title winning form. How do you improve on this? His Cardiff stint is irrevlant as top managers are never suited to small clubs. Big clubs that have to play in certain way is more about the fit and this is the right fit. Hence why Barcelona can employ the likes of valvrede, Enrique, vilanova etc and still continue to win.

The only improvement we can make like someone earlier mentioned is better players.
Ole in for the next 10 years.

M Utd

The Di Matteo comparison really annoys me. First just because it didn’t work out for one club doesn’t mean it won’t work out for another club.

And I’m sure Di Matteo wasn’t doing that badly in his second season anyway. Chelsea’s expectations are too high. I’m sure they were 3rd when he was sacked.
For every story about a failure there are equal amounts about successes. The opposite is true too. It's basically a lazy discussion point. Look at Zidane or Pep no managing experience before taking on huge clubs and have done well but there are other comparisons which equally don't work out. You have to take each situation on it's own merits.
Let's be honest in another other career and they said "oh come in and have a trail period before a full time contract is offered" and they did the type of job Ole is doing you would be silly to say that he shouldn't be considered. If people want to give him more time before deciding but come on he's done enough to be very carefully considered about getting the job full time.

Bwuk

Don’t think we need to make any decisions until the end of the season. It’s not like Ole is going to go elsewhere.

I’m in favour of giving him it though, but we don’t have to do it right now.

FujiVice

Some stat this.
Having picked up 25 points since taking over, Solskjaer earned more points than any other manager has managed in his first nine games in charge of a single club in the Premier League.

Tarrou

It’s getting to the stage where it’d Be crazy to not give him the job. It would take a complete reversal in our form to convince me he isn’t the right man for the job.

If Ed appointed someone else now the fans would never forgive him.

Dante

Average bang
There are three ingredients that go into making a successful top tier manager:

1. The ability to get your players to operate better as a whole than the sum of their parts through playing good football at a high level.

2. The ability handle egos and man-manage everyone to believe in you.

3. The ability to motivate your players in crunch games and get them to be psychologically strong enough to win trophies when the pressure is on.

Ole is doing 1 and 2 at the moment, and has done 3 in Norway.

Poch has only ever done 1 and 2 and has repeatedly come up short on 3.

I can't envisage Pochetinno bringing success to United as easily as I can see Solskjaer achieving it.

We need to stop hiring managers with recent histories of less than 3 out of 3 requirements: Mourinho had 1 and 3 (until inevitably losing the belief of his squad), LvG had 2 and 3 and Moyes arguably had a small degree of 1 and 2 at Everton.

Pochetinno would be a return to that flawed strategy of 'making do' with a manager that needs a leg up.

Lj82

There are three ingredients that go into making a successful top tier manager:

1. The ability to get your players to operate better as a whole than the sum of their parts through playing good football at a high level.

2. The ability handle egos and man-manage everyone to believe in you.

3. The ability to motivate your players in crunch games and get them to be psychologically strong enough to win trophies when the pressure is on.

Ole is doing 1 and 2 at the moment, and has done 3 in Norway.

Poch has only ever done 1 and 2 and has repeatedly come up short on 3.

I can't envisage Pochetinno bringing success to United as easily as I can see Solskjaer achieving it.

We need to stop hiring managers with recent histories of less than 3 out of 3 requirements: Mourinho had 1 and 3 (until inevitably losing the belief of his squad), LvG had 2 and 3 and Moyes arguably had a small degree of 1 and 2 at Everton.

Pochetinno would be a return to that flawed strategy of 'making do' with a manager that needs a leg up.
Reading Ole's interview before the Fulham game, he mentioned that it's easy to motivate players for the big games, but the challenge is to keep them focused on the smaller games. I like this comment a lot. I remember a player once revealed that SAF would surprisingly have very little to say before big games, as he knows the players are already focused and do not want to cloud their mind. However when Utd plays some minnows, SAF would surprise the team with very detailed plans and tactics against the smaller teams. This was his way to let them know that every game was equally important

Dante

Average bang
Reading Ole's interview before the Fulham game, he mentioned that it's easy to motivate players for the big games, but the challenge is to keep them focused on the smaller games. I like this comment a lot. I remember a player once revealed that SAF would surprisingly have very little to say before big games, as he knows the players are already focused and do not want to cloud their mind. However when Utd plays some minnows, SAF would surprise the team with very detailed plans and tactics against the smaller teams. This was his way to let them know that every game was equally important
It's easy for Ole because he's a natural leader and top manager. It's so easy for him that he doesn't even realise he's doing it.

It's not so easy for Poch, whose team have been habitual bottlers.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
There is no question if Ole should be appointed. He will be .
he has inherited a squad that was not built for the long term.
He will correct that in the summer.

He also has a strong staff. As important as Ole's appointment is, Phelan also needs to be made a permanent appointment.

I feel very confident about next season.
Mind you we will do well this season too.

Tony247

which remind us under jose team used to perform poorly against bottom teams and better against top teams. His exact words:
"For me, to win against all the small teams and to lose against all the big teams -- when I say 'small' and 'big', forgive my basic English, I would prefer to explain it another way -- but when you lose against the small teams and you win against the big teams, it's not right," he said.

"When you lose against the big teams and you win against the small teams, that is also not right. I think it's normal that during the season, you have your low moments, but in a balanced way. When you lose against all the teams that were promoted, that doesn't smell right for me."
So basically he was not motivating his squad at all and they were self motivated against top teams. And its possible that he had no clue why. I doubt a man with that gigantic ego ever introspect.

AndyMUFC

Unless there's a serious nosedive between now and May, he deserves a chance.

I'm not going to say if he wins all these big games he should get it because that's just daft. He's more than likely going to lose at some point during those fixtures, just like any other manager would. You've got to judge his tenure as a whole.

What's the worst that can happen, honestly? At least we'll be entertained with him in charge.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
In 2007 Molde weren't even in the top division, 2008 they finished 9th, 2009 they finished 2nd, 2010 they narrowly missed out on relegation.

Ole came in and won back to back titles (their first titles ever).

They had one good season prior to him taking over, at best they were a mid table team.

What you're saying, is like calling Everton a top team, because they finished in the top 4 once, and expecting a new manager to win them the league.

His work at Molde should not be understated despite it being a somewhat inferior league

Edit: Actually it would be similar to what Leicester did, but then following that up by winning the league again the season after.
You omitted the silver generation of Molde that lasted from 1994 to 2000, which were successful years for that club. As stated before prior to Old appointment, Molde finished second, so it was not like their team did not have the capabilities to finish anywhere above mid table. Regardless, the Norwegian league is a poor league and you can not equate managerial achievements in that league unless, the manager took a second division team and consistently made them champions, which Ole did not do.

I won't bother responding to you anymore after this post. I can understand that there are people who prefers Poch, and that is fine. But there is a difference between being reasonable and having a preference, and being ridiculously stubborn and bending facts to suit your agenda.

The problem with your previous post is that it shows up your lack of understanding of Ole and his achievements. You didn't even know that he was the one who won the historic (Your words) consecutive league titles for Molde and you were trying to use those titles to put down Ole. When made known to you, you simply buckled down and refuse to acknowledge Ole's work.
No need to bother posting to me, when I countered your argument and all other posters did was clarified the data I presented. After, clarification, I understood Ole achievement in a poor league, but that doesn’t change the fact that prior to his appointment Molde was in second and showed the capabilities to fight for the title. A mid table team consistently languish mid table, which Molde with that second place finished did not. If a manager does well in a league in Thailand, I wouldn’t be arsed about his achievements because the quality of football their is nothing like the top league in Europe. As stated before, it is a waste of time for me and unless those achievements are produced in either a European cup competition or in a top league, then it is irrelevant. Unless, the manager takes a second tier team and make them consistently champion in their division.

KomodoBadger

In May 2009, I wasn’t even a football fan - I only started following football during the World Cup in South Africa the following year, and I became a United fan in about October/November 2010.

SteveW

10 year contract right now.

Time for a new dynasty in the true United traditions. :devil::devil::devil::devil:

Makalu

I haven't heard a strong argument yet for the board making a decision sooner rather than later. Everything is going as well as anyone could have dreamed so far, and what do we gain from announcing Ole as the long term manager now? It's clear Ole is treating it like he is the permanent manager, from the way he's talking about the players, and talking about the future of the club. Another person in his position might start making comments to the press about how he wants the job permanently to force the boards hand but Ole isn't that sort of guy. To him it's all about what's best for the club and it's beautiful.

I think come the end of the season assuming this carries on, Ole will become the least risky choice out there and the idea of pushing Ole out and bringing in Poch will seem idiotic. If this beautiful dream comes to an end, and we crash out of the top 4 and the cups then Poch may seem like the less risky choice. But this is a decision for April/May, not now.

Reactions: Ødegaard

Stuoxford

I haven't heard a strong argument yet for the board making a decision sooner rather than later. Everything is going as well as anyone could have dreamed so far, and what do we gain from announcing Ole as the long term manager now? It's clear Ole is treating it like he is the permanent manager, from the way he's talking about the players, and talking about the future of the club. Another person in his position might start making comments to the press about how he wants the job permanently to force the boards hand but Ole isn't that sort of guy. To him it's all about what's best for the club and it's beautiful.

I think come the end of the season assuming this carries on, Ole will become the least risky choice out there and the idea of pushing Ole out and bringing in Poch will seem idiotic. If this beautiful dream comes to an end, and we crash out of the top 4 and the cups then Poch may seem like the less risky choice. But this is a decision for April/May, not now.
Ole has done an absolutely amazing. It’s actually fun watching United again. If he doesn’t get the job for next season it would be a travesty. We’ve tried big names and what did that do for us!

lex talionis

No decision needs to be made public now, but it would irresponsible by management not have internally made the decision to stick with Ole for, say, a 2-3 year contract.

The case for keeping Ole is overwhelming. The case for not keeping Ole is weak. But an announcement can wait for another month and it shouldn’t come at the end of the season.

Wishe

Not sure if this has been posted before

Interesting perspectives on the appointment of Ole as caretaker.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Ole has done an absolutely amazing. It’s actually fun watching United again. If he doesn’t get the job for next season it would be a travesty. We’ve tried big names and what did that do for us!
While that’s true it just helps keep him hungry. We made the same mistakes with Mourinho. Ole wants the job so he will be happy to wait until the summer. I’m sure he’d rather it that way.

Right now I see no other candidate coming close either, but things might go wrong, will he be able to turn it around? That’s what we need to know.

superdonk

While that’s true it just helps keep him hungry. We made the same mistakes with Mourinho. Ole wants the job so he will be happy to wait until the summer. I’m sure he’d rather it that way.

Right now I see no other candidate coming close either, but things might go wrong, will he be able to turn it around? That’s what we need to know.
What's most important? Offer artificial incentive to someone who's spent his entire life competing at the highest levels preparing for this, or offer certainty to players considering contract extensions? Surely likes of DDG will consider future prospects of the club making their decision.