Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

Moonwalker

Its quite amazing. One loss against quality opposition and suddenly there are question marks? 1 game where two injuries virtually crippled us attacking wise and this is the stick to beat him with?
Question marks remain and are to be expected, regardless of the outcome of that game.

That would always be the case too, even with a much more proven manager than Solskjaer.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
The way I see it, if Ole gets the job - it'll be on merit and I'm more than happy with that. If it doesn't work out for him from here on in, the silver linking in the cloud is that we will go for Poch or someone of his ilk.

It's kind of win win because I want Ole badly but I mean it's not to be, I'd also like Poch or Zidane here.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The way I see it, if Ole gets the job - it'll be on merit and I'm more than happy with that. If it doesn't work out for him from here on in, the silver linking in the cloud is that we will go for Poch or someone of his ilk.

It's kind of win win because I want Ole badly but I mean it's not to be, I'd also like Poch or Zidane here.
Yeah we all want it work with Ole but we have to make the right call here which is why I'm not entirely sold yet. To be fair to Ole I'm half sold which is in itself incredible given the position he took us over in. We must allow him a few bad peformances and results. Nobody comes in and wins everything playing perfect football.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
There's a weird vibe to the comments on this thread. Anyone even floating the idea that OGS might not be cut out to be our permanent manager risks being accused of being a Pocchetino fan, or Jose loyalist, who is taking enormous pleasure at putting the boot into Ole. Based on nothing more than 90 minutes of football, with a shit referee and terrible luck with injuries.

I think it's possible to have doubts about his long term suitability (doubts 99% of this place had when he was appointed!) without being guilty of any of the above. I was pleased when he was signed as interim manager because he's a fecking great guy, who's been responsible for some of my favourite moments as a fan (from the '99 CL final, to his humble response to the goal he scored on his return from a knee injury that looked like it might end his career). So how can I not feel pleased for him/the club when something like that happens? On paper, though, he never looked like the right man to take on such a big job as our permanent manager. The amazing run of results did muddy the waters but you can't ignore the combination of a favourable run of fixtures and the massive feel good factor you get from firing a toxic wet blanket like Mourinho. You don't get more ideal conditions for one of those "new manager bounce" run of results you see at most other clubs (although, weirdly, not at United until now). The same sort of thing that had Sarri and Emery put on a pedestal in the very recent past. And now look at them!

Every "new manager bounce" comes to an end, eventually and only the most deluded United fan wouldn't be worried, deep down, that this is what we're watching now. All the more so when you consider last night shouldn't have come as a massive surprise, considering we've been average to poor at Old Trafford, fairly consistently, since half time in the game against Spurs.

So yeah, this could be the beginning of the end of Ole's stint as manager. And that's no reflection on him, as he was handed an incredibly difficult job and was only hired to see us through to the end of the season anyway. It would be nice if we see the rest of his time at United through without all the bun-fighting and slanging matches that accompanied the end of every other manager we've had since Fergie retired. I guess that's just a pipe dream...

Adebesi

Time will tell if its new manager bounce but Im not treating that as my base case scenario. As far as Im concerned we go out and tear Chelsea a new one next week, as perfect preparation for the Liverpool game. Do them and then we are back in a positive mindset again and we finish the season strongly.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
There's a weird vibe to the comments on this thread. Anyone even floating the idea that OGS might not be cut out to be our permanent manager risks being accused of being a Pocchetino fan, or Jose loyalist, who is taking enormous pleasure at putting the boot into Ole. Based on nothing more than 90 minutes of football, with a shit referee and terrible luck with injuries.

I think it's possible to have doubts about his long term suitability (doubts 99% of this place had when he was appointed!) without being guilty of any of the above. I was pleased when he was signed as interim manager because he's a fecking great guy, who's been responsible for some of my favourite moments as a fan (from the '99 CL final, to his humble response to the goal he scored on his return from a knee injury that looked like it might end his career). So how can I not feel pleased for him/the club when something like that happens? On paper, though, he never looked like the right man to take on such a big job as our permanent manager. The amazing run of results did muddy the waters but you can't ignore the combination of a favourable run of fixtures and the massive feel good factor you get from firing a toxic wet blanket like Mourinho. You don't get more ideal conditions for one of those "new manager bounce" run of results you see at most other clubs (although, weirdly, not at United until now). The same sort of thing that had Sarri and Emery put on a pedestal in the very recent past. And now look at them!

Every "new manager bounce" comes to an end, eventually and only the most deluded United fan wouldn't be worried, deep down, that this is what we're watching now. All the more so when you consider last night shouldn't have come as a massive surprise, considering we've been average to poor at Old Trafford, fairly consistently, since half time in the game against Spurs.
Great post here.

I actually feel the most reactionary posts are coming from posters declaring that Ole is definitely the right man for the job after what we've seen thus far...

I love the guy, and I'm so impressed with what he's shown thus far. I think he deserves another shot at a PL team, but for me that level (for now) would be a Watford, a Southampton, a Bournemouth etc. And that's a fecking compliment! That shows he's got something!

But to take over United, to wrestle dominance away from Guardiola and Klopp, to handle this board, to clear out the dead-wood...?

For me, he isn't ready yet - it will take a truly special manager. Which Ole might well become, but in my opinion, needs a few years honing his craft yet.

Just as being the number 1 striker for a team that wants to win the biggest trophies takes a truly special striker. You can't just give it to a youngster who's shown promise and expect them to meet the grade - and if you do do that... you might actually end up limiting their development in the future...

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
"We lost to PSG because Lingard had to go off with an injury" - say that to the Caf a couple years ago :lol:
What has Ole done to you guys? ;)

Always thought Lingard has been very underrated around here, good to see that more of you lot can see his importance to the team now too.
Pretty sure we'd done a lot better with Sanchez on for Martial if Lingard could play the whole 90 minutes.

Pogue Mahone

Time will tell if its new manager bounce but Im not treating that as my base case scenario. As far as Im concerned we go out and tear Chelsea a new one next week, as perfect preparation for the Liverpool game. Do them and then we are back in a positive mindset again and we finish the season strongly.
Definitely my preferred scenario!

Not my most likely, more’s the pity. As per comment above re PEG game being continuation of a trend of underwhelming home performances. Delighted to be proved wrong, obvs.

centreback

Lost to a better side with the gulf in quality unfortunately very apparent last night. However, that first half was very even until the two injuries killed our momentum, as I believe Ole set us up perfectly and if we grab a goal from a set piece early on, then the narrative is completely different. There was no tactical masterclass from Tuchel over Ole imo, they stayed compact in midfield and their ball retention is several levels above us, but that game was there to be won if the quality from previous games was on show.
Back the man in the summer and were on a level with that rabble.

Eric's Seagull

Think it is unfair to judge Ole after one game. Very unlucky with the injuries. I think Ole has done a great job since he has come in. It will be interesting to see how he responds to this defeat. Hopefully this will fire us up even more against the against Chelsea and Scousers and some people on here might start getting a bit more positive again. I think people should judge Ole come end of season.

Last edited:

Adebesi

"We lost to PSG because Lingard had to go off with an injury" - say that to the Caf a couple years ago :lol:
What has Ole done to you guys? ;)

Always thought Lingard has been very underrated around here, good to see that more of you lot can see his importance to the team now too.
Pretty sure we'd done a lot better with Sanchez on for Martial if Lingard could play the whole 90 minutes.
If we lost to Barca because Fletcher wasnt available, we can lose to PSG because Lingard went off.

Moonwalker

I'd Love nothing but for him to be Fergie reincarnate and carry the torch of everything we know and love about the club. If a goldfish asked me - Id much prefer this to any sort of proven outsider coming in and fashioning his own version of United success.

In that sense, I have nothing but positive bias in wanting him to be the true bill.

The other shoe is that it would just be ludicrous to conclude beyond any doubt that this is indeed the case, on such a small sample, with such favorable circumstances, with so little experience at the top level. People being incredulous that there is skepticism are in cuckoo land.

Adebesi

I'd Love nothing but for him to be Fergie reincarnate and carry the torch of everything we know and love about the club. If a goldfish asked me - Id much prefer this to any sort of proven outsider coming in and fashioning his own version of United success.

In that sense, I have nothing but positive bias in wanting him to be the true bill.

The other shoe is that it would just be ludicrous to conclude beyond any doubt that this is indeed the case, on such a small sample, with such favorable circumstances, with so little experience at the top level. People being incredulous that there is skepticism are in cuckoo land.
Out of interest - and this has nothing to do with the content of your post per se. But why would a goldfish ask you that?

Moonwalker

Out of interest - and this has nothing to do with the content of your post per se. But why would a goldfish ask you that?
I guess because a goldfish is my go-to wish granting metaphor? I always preferred it to genies.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
If we lost to Barca because Fletcher wasnt available, we can lose to PSG because Lingard went off.
Yes, because both are/were good players in the team and way they play.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Lost to a better side with the gulf in quality unfortunately very apparent last night. However, that first half was very even until the two injuries killed our momentum, as I believe Ole set us up perfectly and if we grab a goal from a set piece early on, then the narrative is completely different. There was no tactical masterclass from Tuchel over Ole imo, they stayed compact in midfield and their ball retention is several levels above us, but that game was there to be won if the quality from previous games was on show.
Back the man in the summer and were on a level with that rabble.
He nullified Pogba, and Ole had absolutely no answer to it - didn't even try anything to wrestle it back.

Literally did nothing to change shape and get Pogba some room.

Kept the exact same shape, but replaced Martial and Lingard with Sanchez and Mata...

Marcus

Please remember that Ole joined halfway through the season with no pre-season to train the team. That he has managed to get the results that he has is in itself a bloody miracle. I am of course not sure how all things being equal Poch would do in a similar situation or for that matter who would produce better results with the team having had a full pre-season to infuse their strategy. But Ole has done very well .

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
This. To PSG no less, one of Europe’s best teams. What is wrong with people?
Read @Pogue Mahone post above because he's said what I've suspected. We need to make a very good, rational decision this summer about the man to finally lead us back to the top. Ole was not considered that man just a couple of months ago, so I feel it's more wise to look at the situation without rose tinted glasses. Nobody has turned on Ole, they're just finally asking the questions that everybody should have been considering all along.

Moonwalker

I had no idea goldfish granted wishes.

No wonder none of my dreams ever come true.

Thanks for sharing.
I guess this is slavo-centric more than universal then. It's a tale by Pushkin. I assumed it was much more culturally universal than it is.

Adebesi

I guess this is slavo-centric more than universal then. It's a tale by Pushkin. I assumed it was much more culturally universal than it is.
Makes sense. Also possible others got the reference and it just went over my head.

My daughter went all out nagging for a goldfish a year or so ago, we refused to let her have one. The last 12 months havent been the best of my life. Im starting to wonder whether these two truths are somehow connected.

Pogue Mahone

Please remember that Ole joined halfway through the season with no pre-season to train the team. That he has managed to get the results that he has is in itself a bloody miracle. I am of course not sure how all things being equal Poch would do in a similar situation or for that matter who would produce better results with the team having had a full pre-season to infuse their strategy. But Ole has done very well .
That’s 100% true. He also hasn’t signed a single player. For every other new manager we’d basically write off this season and reserve judgement until he’s done all the above. That’s what makes it such a fecked up situation. Ole is succeeding or failing in a really artificial, unrealistic scenario. So the appointment decision should really be made independent of results. Good or bad.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Are you Russian? I've forgotten this was Russian expression. Damn.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He nullified Pogba, and Ole had absolutely no answer to it - didn't even try anything to wrestle it back.

Literally did nothing to change shape and get Pogba some room.

Kept the exact same shape, but replaced Martial and Lingard with Sanchez and Mata...
I do wonder what people think he should have done after such bad luck in losing the two guys central to the whole game plan.
We were right in the game at half time. Psg were harried and kept punting it out.

Rashford out wide, lukaku up top maybe? Lukaku has zero workrate though and is poor at holding it.

Change formation? Mess about with fred?

No, the only sensible strategy was what we did with players used to playing wide.

Simple truth is beyond the first 11 we have exceptionally low cover.
We can jiggle the centre backs and that really is about it

Pogue Mahone

Makes sense. Also possible others got the reference and it just went over my head.

My daughter went all out nagging for a goldfish a year or so ago, we refused to let her have one. The last 12 months havent been the best of my life. Im starting to wonder whether these two truths are somehow connected.
Get the kid a goldfish ffs. She’s not asking for a pony. What kind of monster are you?

Although, be warned, pet fish are gateway drugs to puppies. That’s my experience anyway.

Beaucoup

He's being judged as if he's the full time manager which he's not, he was brought in along with Phelan to steady the ship, which was never intended to be a long term solution.

Leif GW

Bit surprised how old he looks for his 45 years. He always had that boyish look but that's long gone...looks like he is about to enter his sixties.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I do wonder what people think he should have done after such bad luck in losing the two guys central to the whole game plan.
We were right in the game at half time. Psg were harried and kept punting it out.

Rashford out wide, lukaku up top maybe? Lukaku has zero workrate though and is poor at holding it.

No, the only sensible strategy was what we did with players used to playing wide.

I think an obvious change to most was Lukaku on rather than Mata, especially when you consider how terrible PSG were in defending through the air in games leading up to his. We were being overrun so a lofted ball to a target man who can knock it in behind seemed most apt for me anyway.

I think PSG saw Mata in particular and knew they could through more caution to the wind.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Bring Fred on and take charge of the midfield ? Surely a Pogba - Matic - Herrera - Fred is better than yesterday's PSG midfield, esp at home?

We were losing the midfield battle and it was pretty evident from the start. My only concern is when we were getting schooled , we literally did nothing until an injury forced .

Moonwalker

Are you Russian? I've forgotten this was Russian expression. Damn.
I'm Serbian but we have some Russian literature in our curriculum. Can't remember when or how I've picked that one up though. The difficulty is that you never know how much of what you know seeped through to other cultures. If it were specifically Serbian I'd bet against anyone knowing about it, but I thought this was like Lolita or The Gulag Archipelago.