Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

Tarrou

Also, this Spurs squad is absolutely no worse than the Wenger squad when he won 3 FA cups and made top 4 every season and was still pilloried for it. Yet Poch gets praises for a worse record. It maybe be because Arsenal started from title challengers and ended up that way and Spurs started from outside the top 4, however their situations are very comparable. Similar budget constraints.

Also there was a thought around here that Ole would be the "cheap" when and a "yes man" for the Glazers. Poch has been a yes man for Spurs all this while. so what makes people think he's gonna strat demanding funds from Woodward if and when he gets here?
he has leverage if we are asking him to leave Spurs, and it’s guesswork but quite logical to expect he’d ask for assurances over his budget before committing

RedDevil@84

He was found out yesterday. Jose would have beaten PSG or at least get us a draw. We beat Juventus on away goals and Juventus is regarded as a better team than PSG. Absolute disgrace we just capitalated.
:lol::lol:
Spurs beat Real Madrid in a group stage game and then lost to Juventus in R16 who then were destroyed by Real Madrid in QF.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He was found out yesterday. Jose would have beaten PSG or at least get us a draw. We beat Juventus on away goals and Juventus is regarded as a better team than PSG. Absolute disgrace we just capitalated.
I don't think footy forums are for you pal.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Come on man, thats absurd. Sanchez has barely looked like a footballer for over a year, not even the Messiah can save him. Getting the best out of mediocre players should not be an issue for a United manager, he should focus on getting the best out of good players.
Pochettino list of turning good or average players into class talent is untouchable. Eriksen is an example of a good player that came to Spurs and Pochettino turned him into an even greater talent. Pochettino has not really been tested as much as a top manager at an elite club when it comes to managing elite players for the reason that he he developed most of his own rather than acquire them. However, Pochettino understand that the same motivation for a player who is on 10k wages should be the same motivation that a player on 200k which is to play for the club rather than the manager and that even though there are problems between their relationship, there should be something greater to motivate the players than just playing for the manager. This sort of mindset will help him manage the good players that comes with big ego.

We hired Moyes on the premise that he had loads of experience and was adept at keeping a steady ship with minimal net spending. Poch is a better manager than Moyes, but there are some similarities here. Dont get me wrong I like Poch, i like his style, he carries himself well in interviews and hes managed to build a very good team on a small budget, and if our season collapses now then i will be fully backing getting Poch as a manager. His lack of silverware concerns me though. That Tottenham squad is a very talented one and they at least should have managed a league cup or an FA cup the last couple of years.
It seems like not winning a trophy is a major concern for all of Pochettino doubters, but for me that is not a concern as when you see how much he has spend compared to his rivals and how well he is doing, it is only logical to assume that with a warchest at his disposal, his team performance will only improve and a trophy will follow. Put a Koulabily, Dembele and a Verrati into this spurs side and in a couple of season a trophy will follow.

You can list all the other mid table teams that has won trophies but as Poch stated, it only inflate their egos as they are now relegated or mid table team. The Moyes comparison is also a lazy one as Poch football aesthetic is much more pleasing and he has developed more notable talent than Moyes has with Everton. Performance wise Moyes never took Everton consistently to the champions league or to the champions league knockout stage.

RedDevil@84

I see some of the Pochettino brigade just couldn’t wait for Ole to slip up.
I could understand and agree with the argument that Ole made some wrong decisions yesterday. But to talk as if Poch would not have made any is hilarious.

Almost like players on the bench being in the hottest form argument.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'm ready to bet on Darmian and Mata staying next season.

Valencia is going to leave on free though.

Don't get your hopes up for the next summer.
No chance Darmian stays on again! He'll have played about 3 times in 6months, and is long, long overdue.

Darmian, Rojo, Valencia are certain leavers.
Mata should be off.

We should start making enquiries about seeing if Sanchez can be shifted, unless he makes a massive comeback into quality football.

After that I'd be comfy with everyone else staying, but obviously with Young being moved to back up.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I could understand and agree with the argument that Ole made some wrong decisions yesterday. But to talk as if Poch would not have made any is hilarious.

Almost like players on the bench being in the hottest form argument.
Yeah. Never mind leveling the playing field by giving OGS money and time to build a team in his image. They’re now comparing OGS - “in big games” against managers who’s had either time or money (and in most cases - both!) to build their sides.

Not quite fair but Pogue summed it up well. One hell of a situation for our Board to be in.
Are we dubbing them Poch FC yet?
:lol: either that or Pocholytes?

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I see some of the Pochettino brigade just couldn’t wait for Ole to slip up.
It is very weird. Seems like the fanbase is so scarred by previous incidents with managers we just want to moan for the sake of it. Make up you mind quick, based on little more than what you thought from before, then rage against others who doesn't share that view. I can understand these things happens when we are playing shit, barely getting by etc. Some of the opinions here is just straight weird. I promise you we are going to have a "pro Ole" camp and a anti whatever camp soon enough we just need to find the enemy there. Poch is a great candidate. Shits hilarious

Alabaster Codify7

Feel a bit sorry for him now, as the huge games are coming thick and fast and we're without two key players to play 'the Ole way'.
Feels like the tables have been fully turned against him at a crucial period, sod's law I guess.

Jibbs

I am sure Ole will come out good and next year if he remains our manager, which I wish he will be, will make united progress much further in champions league.
Having said that, Yesterday Ole did look a bit nervous, and it showed with his substitutions, he should have brought in Lukaku and Fred instead of Mata and Sanchez. It was apparent PSG were crowding out united in midfield, Marquinhos was a doing a job on Pogba, introduction of Fred would have given Pogba some breather, he could have played as false 9 and lukaku and Rashford as inverted wingers.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
No chance Darmian stays on again! He'll have played about 3 times in 6months, and is long, long overdue.

Darmian, Rojo, Valencia are certain leavers.
Mata should be off.

We should start making enquiries about seeing if Sanchez can be shifted, unless he makes a massive comeback into quality football.

After that I'd be comfy with everyone else staying, but obviously with Young being moved to back up.
pretty much agree.

Sanchez was a huge mistake. @Cockney Phil said this when we went for him.

Tuanzebe is coming back. So is TFM.
I have seen more transfer speculations about midfielders which makes sense. Rather than CBs.

Greenwood should be promoted next season. I would be happy if Lukaku left. He just does not fit into Ole's style.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Rojo is on 80k and has 2 years left on contract. And he is always injured.
No one is buying him.
I think it was revealed by a wage slip he was on about 140k a week wasn't it?! So even sillier!

If it was a "mere" 80k, then I don't think that's as outrageous as it sounds these days, as even the likes of Leicester have 100k a week players.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
It is very weird. Seems like the fanbase is so scarred by previous incidents with managers we just want to moan for the sake of it. Make up you mind quick, based on little more than what you thought from before, then rage against others who doesn't share that view. I can understand these things happens when were playing shit, barely getting by etc. Some of the opinions here is just straight weird. I promise you we are going to have a "pro Ole" camp and a anti whatever camp soon enough we just need to find the enemy there. Poch is a great candidate. Shits hilarious
Indeed. I understand the notion by some that OGS seems to be the bigger gamble of the 2 managers. But by how much? No one really knows or can quantify that because other factors also works in OGS favor - understanding the club etc.

It’s a shit situation and I find myself personally torn, tbh. I wasn’t sure about OGS appointment at the start but he’s performed way above anyone’s expectation. I’m inclined to give him a chance but yeah, as you say, we’re all scarred and fully aware of falling even further behind some other teams.

RedDevil@84

I think it was revealed by a wage slip he was on about 140k a week wasn't it?! So even sillier!

If it was a "mere" 80k, then I don't think that's as outrageous as it sounds these days, as even the likes of Leicester have 100k a week players.
If he is on 140k, he will see out his contract here and if he finds some form for 5 games next season, we will offer him an extension as well.

80k for a defender is not that small a money. Especially the ones who are injured always.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
pretty much agree.

Sanchez was a huge mistake. @Cockney Phil said this when we went for him.

Tuanzebe is coming back. So is TFM.
I have seen more transfer speculations about midfielders which makes sense. Rather than CBs.

Greenwood should be promoted next season. I would be happy if Lukaku left. He just does not fit into Ole's style.
In one way, our 4 centre backs (ignore Rojo - he's gone) are interchangeable - we don't lose/gain massive differences whoever plays.
But in another way, that's worrying, as it means they're much of a muchness.

You do wonder, with the Jones contract, whether we're just going with the 4 though, with Tuanzebe and TFM as backup. The latter hasn't had a great loan period - hard to see it's had any benefit, so he'll do well to stay in the picture I think.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If he is on 140k, he will see out his contract here and if he finds some form for 5 games next season, we will offer him an extension as well.

80k for a defender is not that small a money. Especially the ones who are injured always.
There was talk of 30m to Everton in the summer.
If only that'd gone through!!

I don't even know if he's currently injured, or just way out the picture.
That's probably how you could sum up most of his time with us.

What's worse is that we actually paid a tonne to get him in, while letting them have Nani!

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Indeed. I understand the notion by some that OGS seems to be the bigger gamble of the 2 managers. But by how much? No one really knows or can quantify that because other factors also works in OGS favor - understanding the club etc.

It’s a shit situation and I find myself personally torn, tbh. I wasn’t sure about OGS appointment at the start but he’s performed way above anyone’s expectation. I’m inclined to give him a chance but yeah, as you say, we’re all scarred and fully aware of falling even further behind some other teams.
But thats the thing isn't it. It is not all with the manager. That is what we learned. If we keep doing what we have been doing with Ole we will fail. If we do it with Poch, it will fail. I am not so concerned about who are going to be the manager because I have faith in both doing what is right for the club and have faith in their abilities to coach. Ole we have already seen in action and he has the respect of everyone, a major part. He will not complain, shift blame or throw players under the bus he will fight for us. Poch will too, but people will jump down his throat quicker than with Ole, and that didn't take long. We need to sort our shit out no matter who is manager, innit.

Red Dreams

In one way, our 4 centre backs (ignore Rojo - he's gone) are interchangeable - we don't lose/gain massive differences whoever plays.
But in another way, that's worrying, as it means they're much of a muchness.

You do wonder, with the Jones contract, whether we're just going with the 4 though, with Tuanzebe and TFM as backup. The latter hasn't had a great loan period - hard to see it's had any benefit, so he'll do well to stay in the picture I think.
Ole and Phelan have the CBs play more like sweepers.
Not the old fashioned English CBs. Why I think Smalling looks awkward in the system.
Also Phelan especially has tightened our defence.
I'm not worried about Chelsea or Liverpool.
But last night showed we need investments and at least another season under Ole/Phelan for us to be able to compete with the best in Europe.

Canagel

The same people holding against ole for not beating PSG after month of training time and zero squad building are same ones ignoring poch failures of his own like not beating gent etc when he had that time and already 2 years in. It's quite fascinating

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Ole and Phelan have the CBs play more like sweepers.
Not the old fashioned English CBs. Why I think Smalling looks awkward in the system.
Also Phelan especially has tightened our defence.
I'm not worried about Chelsea or Liverpool.
But last night showed we need investments and at least another season under Ole/Phelan for us to be able to compete with the best in Europe.
I'd be quite worried about Liverpool if Martial is out, as our wings would suddenly have very little threat.

I am glad that the "red card in him" that a few people said to me about Pogba, has come to light in Europe, in a tie we all have to admit we're largely out of, rather than him missing an English game.

Red Dreams

I'd be quite worried about Liverpool if Martial is out, as our wings would suddenly have very little threat.

I am glad that the "red card in him" that a few people said to me about Pogba, has come to light in Europe, in a tie we all have to admit we're largely out of, rather than him missing an English game.
I have not heard much about the two injuries.

I don't care them missing the Chelsea match. But Liverpool match will make the tie tighter without them.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

For all the fear of the unknown with OGS, there's no guarantees with Poch.
We don't actually know for sure if Poch would be up for the job anyway, but we can be certain it'd be a huge fee needed for him.

We don't have a clue what OGS would be like in the transfer market, but we've seen a lot of encouraging signs about how he wants to set us up to play.
With any players he brings in designed to fit that style of play, by the start of next season we'd hopefully not be completely stuffed if the likes of Martial and Lingard go off injured!

However, it's Mid Feb. Let's see how we sit by Mid March / Early April.

This 6 month trial is an absolute blessing. We'll get a feel what is right by then

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I have not heard much about the two injuries.

I don't care them missing the Chelsea match. But Liverpool match will make the tie tighter without them.
Chelsea is a "Nice" to win.
Liverpool is an absolutely essential game.

My main hope for Martial is that it's not too bad as he was able to carry on for a bit.
I'm hoping it's one of those tight, preventative jobs that hasn't properly gone.

Lingard, a bit more worried, as he knew it quite quickly, and was off in a flash.

Red Dreams

Chelsea is a "Nice" to win.
Liverpool is an absolutely essential game.

My main hope for Martial is that it's not too bad as he was able to carry on for a bit.
I'm hoping it's one of those tight, preventative jobs that hasn't properly gone.

Lingard, a bit more worried, as he knew it quite quickly, and was off in a flash.
Lingard has come on quite a bit since Ole took over. More direct. Fast becoming a player we simply have to start with.
Lukaku will have to play as a winger then.
Or it will be Mata.
We have a better midfield. So I fancy us.
Also we will be hugely motivated after what Mourinho did in the last match.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
But thats the thing isn't it. It is not all with the manager. That is what we learned. If we keep doing what we have been doing with Ole we will fail. If we do it with Poch, it will fail. I am not so concerned about who are going to be the manager because I have faith in both doing what is right for the club and have faith in their abilities to coach. Ole we have already seen in action and he has the respect of everyone, a major part. He will not complain, shift blame or throw players under the bus he will fight for us. Poch will too, but people will jump down his throat quicker than with Ole, and that didn't take long. We need to sort our shit out no matter who is manager, innit.
Agreed.

The same people holding against ole for not beating PSG after month of training time and zero squad building are same ones ignoring poch failures of his own like not beating gent etc when he had that time and already 2 years in. It's quite fascinating
Agendas. Bias. Double standards. Football forums aye abdo! :lol:
For all the fear of the unknown with OGS, there's no guarantees with Poch.
We don't actually know for sure if Poch would be up for the job anyway, but we can be certain it'd be a huge fee needed for him.

We don't have a clue what OGS would be like in the transfer market, but we've seen a lot of encouraging signs about how he wants to set us up to play.
With any players he brings in designed to fit that style of play, by the start of next season we'd hopefully not be completely stuffed if the likes of Martial and Lingard go off injured!

However, it's Mid Feb. Let's see how we sit by Mid March / Early April.

This 6 month trial is an absolute blessing. We'll get a feel what is right by then
100%.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Lingard has come on quite a bit since Ole took over. More direct. Fast becoming a player we simply have to start with.
Lukaku will have to play as a winger then.
Or it will be Mata.
We have a better midfield. So I fancy us.
Also we will be hugely motivated after what Mourinho did in the last match.
Better midfield yes, but worse attack, and against a team who have 1 narrow defeat all season.
I think it's pure bravado from a lot of our fans talking about "smashing" Pool, or any real confidence about it.

It'll be a tough game, and very pressurised, as if we did manage to lose, we'll have played a huge role in them winning the title.

Anustart89

Pochettino has a successful record of turning around a players career and developing average players to good team players. Sissoko is a great example. Last season, he was on the oust and many taught he was a poor signing. His performance was below par most of the time. Pochettino with his incredible man management ability has made Sissoko a key part of their team and he has been rewarded by Sissoko putting in some great performances. When they lost Kane, many taught Spurs will struggle, yet just like Tuchel with the lost of Neymar, Pochettino found a way to get the best out of his subsidiary player. However, Poch has less quality to deal with as a player in Llorente is arguably one of the worst striker in the league when he is not played to his strength.

As such, I have no doubt Pochettino would do the same with Sanchez and help him find himself.
I can’t wait for us to defend not investing in a team that badly needs investment based on hiring a manager that can improve players. Might as well sign Heakey and Crouch and see if Poch can make a player out of them since obviously every player that he touches turns into a world beater, apart from N’Koudou, Dier, Foyth, Chiriches, Aurier, Llorente etc. He’s turned Sissoko into a half-competent player and suddenly he’s king Midas.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Still think it's too soon to judge, we should have a more clear picture by the end of March. While I may be off here, I thought he looked a bit overwhelmed last night. Think it's fair to say some of the players looked a bit scared too, like the occasion got to them. While the players take most of the blame for that, it's also up to the management team to make sure the players are mentally up for the game.

I still have some doubts about his game management, but there wasn't much he could have done last night. I hope he realises that the squad needs a big overhaul, which is where I have questions about Ole. I just don't know if he can be really ruthless and get rid of a few players, the ones who are liked by the squad, like Mata.

Revan

Assumptionman
Jose having a better team (Chelsea) lost and got eliminated from a much weaker PSG.

Bola

I hope that OGS has had a look at the teamsheets for the 4 x
Champs League games this week. 4 teenagers starting and another 1* on the bench by my cursary tally.

Might want to use that as inspiration instead of settling for the same old failures as the Plan Band for more options when it is not working

*2 if you include Dalot

PepsiCola

9/10 times Juve absolutely destroy us in that away game.

They walked past us at home at a canter. We were massively lucky away.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Pochettino list of turning good or average players into class talent is untouchable. Eriksen is an example of a good player that came to Spurs and Pochettino turned him into an even greater talent. Pochettino has not really been tested as much as a top manager at an elite club when it comes to managing elite players for the reason that he he developed most of his own rather than acquire them. However, Pochettino understand that the same motivation for a player who is on 10k wages should be the same motivation that a player on 200k which is to play for the club rather than the manager and that even though there are problems between their relationship, there should be something greater to motivate the players than just playing for the manager. This sort of mindset will help him manage the good players that comes with big ego.

It seems like not winning a trophy is a major concern for all of Pochettino doubters, but for me that is not a concern as when you see how much he has spend compared to his rivals and how well he is doing, it is only logical to assume that with a warchest at his disposal, his team performance will only improve and a trophy will follow. Put a Koulabily, Dembele and a Verrati into this spurs side and in a couple of season a trophy will follow.

You can list all the other mid table teams that has won trophies but as Poch stated, it only inflate their egos as they are now relegated or mid table team. The Moyes comparison is also a lazy one as Poch football aesthetic is much more pleasing and he has developed more notable talent than Moyes has with Everton. Performance wise Moyes never took Everton consistently to the champions league or to the champions league knockout stage.
Eriksen was 20 when he arrived at Tottenham in 2013, a year before Pochettino, where he got 10 goals and 13 assists under Villas-Boas, giving Poch credit for that is like giving Jose credit for Martial/Rashford. That bolded part i would say applies to Ole as well, he played and was tutored under Ferguson who had just that as his ethos, thankfully, neither of them are Jose

Yes, lack of trophies does bother me. We used to take the piss out of RAWK for their "net spend table", because in the grand scheme of things it does not really mean anything. And that second bolded part was a pretty bizarre comment imo. Are Tottenham to big for the FA cup? Seems like a strange stance to take for a club that has not won anything in ages

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Eriksen was 20 when he arrived at Tottenham in 2013, a year before Pochettino, where he got 10 goals and 13 assists under Villas-Boas, giving Poch credit for that is like giving Jose credit for Martial/Rashford. That bolded part i would say applies to Ole as well, he played and was tutored under Ferguson who had just that as his ethos, thankfully, neither of them are Jose

Yes, lack of trophies does bother me. We used to take the piss out of RAWK for their "net spend table", because in the grand scheme of things it does not really mean anything. And that second bolded part was a pretty bizarre comment imo. Are Tottenham to big for the FA cup? Seems like a strange stance to take for a club that has not won anything in ages
The part about Eriksen just strength my point. Poch has experience improving an already good player and not just mediocre ones.

We tried manager who have won lots of trophies before. Trophies shouldn’t be one of the essential factors as we went that route with Mourinho and he failed badly. Spurs don’t have the depth required to challenge for the fa cup. Once he has invested heavily in there side then he will be able to compete on both front. At the moment, it seem top four is more of a priority for Spurs.

I can’t wait for us to defend not investing in a team that badly needs investment based on hiring a manager that can improve players. Might as well sign Heakey and Crouch and see if Poch can make a player out of them since obviously every player that he touches turns into a world beater, apart from N’Koudou, Dier, Foyth, Chiriches, Aurier, Llorente etc. He’s turned Sissoko into a half-competent player and suddenly he’s king Midas.
I doubt Poch would not invest in this team. He will improve upon our players and bring in players that are required. Dier, Foyth, Aurier, Llorente has all had successful spells under him. He is more successful in his development than not.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I think that appointing Solskjaer as permanent manager based on two months is a ridiculous idea. I know it will be an unpopular opinion, but I do not think we have actually played that well in the games under Solskjaer. I believe if these performances happened under Mourinho there would be a lot more negativity on here (hell, there was massive negativity about us finishing second last season). The Tottenham game for me is a prime example: we only really created one chance and scored whilst Tottenham pinned us in our own half and had a load of chances that they spurned with poor finishing.

This was seen as a positive result on here, but had that been under Mourinho there would be massive amounts of negativity as there was following the win against Juventus this season. I just find there is a lot of moving of the goal posts regarding performances and this seems to be just because he is a club legend and caretaker manager. Solskjaer should be judged like any other manager and there should be no leeway.

Our performances have been really poor recently in particular. I thought we ok against Fulham (an atrocious team); we were really poor against Leiecester and Burnley; we were awful against PSG (This team should be creating at least one good chance, especially when PSG did not even play all that well). On top of that, we were also not great against Newcastle. I do not believe we have really had a standout performance under Solskjaer. We did well beating relegation fodder by a few goals, but again this seems to have dried up.

Regarding team quality, you have to remember that this exact team (minus Fred, which would be relevant if he actually played) were able to get 13/15 points against Man City, Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal and Liverpool in the second half of last season under Mourinho. The team is certainly not up to standard, but it is good enough to win against the other top teams and should be at minimum creating good chances against them.
Interesting post.

Not many with agree with you, and I think you downplay Ole's achievements somewhat, but overall some good points stated in a way that will hopefully provoke actual discussion / debate.

Tarrou

I think it’s good he has a big test coming up now, we need to see how he can handle difficult situations