Ole Gunnar Solskjaer | W15 D2 L4

Is Ole a good appointment?

• Total voters

antsmithmk

Hates women.
Player manager as well.

I've heard he plans to come on for the last 10 against Cardiff.

Prob score the winner eh.

Jinn

So, who in our first team was coached by Ole when he was with the reserves?

beedoubleyou

I can only see it being interim.

Should he get us a top 4 finish and either of the champions League or FA Cup, he'd be a lot more qualified than Zidane was for Madrid, if he isn't already.

This isn't going to happen, but let's wish him well and hopes he gives the decision makers something to ponder.

You've all season to bury him and scuttle back to the 'Has anybody stopped watching' thread.

Just give him a chance first, yeah?

Stepney73

Decent tempory appointment plus the football can't be any worse than we've had over the last 5 years.

Would like potch in next season though.

BarstoolProphet

Wow, this is weird. Weirdly brilliant in some way I guess. In the summer there were talks of him getting fired in Molde but in came Eikrem and young Haaland emerged as the league's best striker at the age of 17 and suddenly his team were the best team in the country again (certainly with the highest ceiling in terms of attacking play).

And now he's here. It's a bit surreal. Such is the damage Mourinho has done to the environment at the club that we needed someone with a positive attitude to cheer the place up in time for Christmas. He might look like a nice guy but he doesn't strike me as a yes man based on what I've seen from him in Norway. This is a different kettle of fish though.

An interim manager made sense since the season is pretty much ruined already and we still haven't appointed a DOF. Which pretty much ruled out the bigger names I guess.

Anyway, weirdly excited and pretty nervous about this as I don't want him to ruin his legacy nor dragging us further down. He previously said he would have built the team around Pogba, so hopefully he can get the best out of our biggest talent and star player.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I dont see how this is a bad appointment for any party. First of all its only an interim manager and we are 11 points off 4th, it is basically no pressure and as long as it does not go much worse than it has so far this season and he brings us towards relegation i think 90% of the fans would be satisfied.

EwanI Ted

Sensible choice in a lot of ways, but not because he’s going to bang out 10 wins on the spin for us.

The club really needs a little breathing room before our next permanent appointment. The worst thing in the world to do now would be to pick someone who wasn’t our first choice long term manager but who was sort of in the frame. If we get in someone like Blanc, who might be a better caretaker but only, say, 5th choice for the proper job, and he does well, it makes it hard to then get rid of him and biases our long term decision. It means we end up making a decision based on short term pressures rather than what’s best in the long run. Same reason Chelsea had to appoint Di Matteo despite no one thinking he was really up to it.

We need time and space to assess our options, taking a long term view on what we want from the management structure. If we’re going for a DOF we need that position fixed too, along with any changes we need to the scouting and/or. recruitment team. Then we pick a manager who fits in with all of that.

I don’t expect magic from Ole, and I don’t think he’ll be a long term candidate for the role. In choosing him we take a risk for this season, which is frankly a write off already, but we give ourselves a better chance of success for future seasons.

PaulRich

The club have actually responded well with this interim appointment - getting the right man in next is absolutely fundamental - the wrong one will well and truly send us over the edge into mediocrity. We still have a chance to recover in the next 18 months.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I think it's hilarious that people are asking for Zidane or Jardim to be appointed right now. It's like the supporters have learned nothing from our previous mistakes, we really need to get our football structure in place before appointing the next manager and this is the right time to do that. If we appoint Zidane or Jardim right now, then the same problems will exist.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
No problem at all with Ole coming in short term, knows the club inside out, knows what the supporters want regarding playing style and a top player so should be able to deal with some òf the bigger egos in the dressing room. Good appointment imo.

beedoubleyou

I think it's hilarious that people are asking for Zidane or Jardim to be appointed right now. It's like the supporters have learned nothing from our previous mistakes, we really need to get our football structure in place before appointing the next manager and this is the right time to do that. If we appoint Zidane or Jardim right now, then the same problems will exist.
I couldn't agree more.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
I agree, perfect time to put in place any foundations needed for a new manager to come and hit the ground running.

astracrazy

First session with the players should be teaching them what it means to play for Man Utd, because most of these dont seem to understand.

I hope he brings back some Fergie discipline. Who remembers the days when all the players had to turn up to a game looking ready for business, not headphones allowed etc.

klsv

Carrick apparently doesn't have the badges yet to manage a team for more than two months. Jardim, Zidane and the likes were never going to come here half way through the season. So basically we had a choice between dinosaurs or someone young. I'd rather have Ole than Hiddink or Hughes, can't see us falling in table with either options and getting top 4 would take a miracle. This will make it fun to sit on 6th til the end of the season if nothing else.

While Ole might not have the tactical depth to beat City or Chelsea, we're at least going to attack the likes of Huddersfield and Cardiff. A lot of talk about our fans prefering attacking to results last season. Get behind him now and enjoy the ride, pointless to be overly dramatic and serious over this.

MrSingh2002

What has he done as a manager to deserve this opportunity?

Someone please enlighten me.

Zed 101

We have the pace players for a straight 4-4-2 hopefully Ole will go back to the formation he played in for many years, get back to basic first.

Stoked that it is Ole, think if the mantle had fallen to Carrick this soon it would have been too much for him, and I get the impression that Carrick will end up being a decent manager.

As for the summer, cannot say I am mad for anyone right now but we def need to change the structure, maybe chuck Ed and get an interim in for him as well (atleast for the transfer windows)

saivet

Would have preferred Blanc (if he was ever an option) but happy with this.

If I remember correctly Di Matteo took over shortly after their first leg defeat at Napoli and no idea when Sherwood at Spurs. I think it's important that we don't just give him the job full time unless he completely transforms our form and style significantly, which I doubt he will.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
What has he done as a manager to deserve this opportunity?

Someone please enlighten me.
He's going to be an interim manager. Not the permanent one. How many people are going to keep making this mistake. You're not going to get a world class manager on an interim basis.

Reactions: KM

CallyRed

I can only see it being interim.

Should he get us a top 4 finish and either of the champions League or FA Cup, he'd be a lot more qualified than Zidane was for Madrid, if he isn't already.

This isn't going to happen, but let's wish him well and hopes he gives the decision makers something to ponder.

You've all season to bury him and scuttle back to the 'Has anybody stopped watching' thread.

Just give him a chance first, yeah?
What makes you think that?

Anak Portal

Along with Phelan i think it's a good deal for us
Sure we can finish in top 4 hopefully

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Going to call it, Ole as interim and Evra as Technical Director...

WensleyMU

I've got my reservations, his time at Cardiff wasnt good, at all but United in theory should be a different prospect. Regardless he's now the manager so he should have the backing of us all.

I disagree that there is no pressure though. His aim will be to make up the 11 point gap. If we want to look at bringing one of the better managers here in the summer, then Champions League football is a must.

Welcome back OGS!

Cpt Negative

Struggling to see how this would be a good appointment but I hope I’m wrong.

Having someone who’s “united” won’t cut it, we need some one better, even for the next 6 months.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Keano should be available too, as assistant, to instill some discipline :keano:
Can you imagine? Most players would probably leave.

Minimalist

72 voted no.

72 miserable gits that will ruin their family's Christmas no doubt.

Copa Mundial

Very happy with this as an interim option. Man Utd through and through, no ego and just a good bloke. His steadying influence is just what Utd need right now.

Djemba-Djemba

Exactly this.

By all accounts we're restructuring the club at last with a DOF, something we should have done years ago. We may finally be learning from previous mistakes.

The worst thing we could do now is just give the job to Zidane, change nothing about the structure of the club, hand Zidane hundreds of millions to spend on whoever he likes and hope it'll work. Because if we do that we'll end up with the same failings.